• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokeball update: Familar faces

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
I hope we don't get any good updates and get really mad,,,then when it come out we all buy and are really happy we didn't learn anything else (hoping for lots of unlockable new characters,,,2nd party looks very good right now)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I hope we don't get any good updates and get really mad,,,then when it come out we all buy and are really happy we didn't learn anything else (hoping for lots of unlockable new characters,,,2nd party looks very good right now)
if thats yur opinion u have to stop looking at DOJO and never come to this site again (^^)v

I only say that because of spoilers here (^^)v

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
ohh im fone if they do show us but sometimes i feel obligated to look,,its like a drug or something lol

Adventurous

Smash Rookie
Not at any point in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal were they classified as dogs.(or beasts for that matter...) Them being called dogs was an inaccurate description of them from players who played through the game. The picture posted earlier should have been enough proof for you that they're not all dogs. Beasts is a more accurate description of them because they aren't all dogs. (dogs are beasts, too)

Didn't mew give you an extra life if you jumped into it's sparkles in the origional Smash bros? I think I got my habit of always jumping to mew/celebi because of that. X.x

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm sorry, but I can't help but complain...

All of the Pokemon aren't very well detailed at all. In fact, they almost look like they came from the N64 version. Melee's looked better than that, really.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
ohh im fone if they do show us but sometimes i feel obligated to look,,its like a drug or something lol
yes....and Sakurai 's the dealer XD

Not at any point in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal were they classified as dogs.(or beasts for that matter...) Them being called dogs was an inaccurate description of them from players who played through the game. The picture posted earlier should have been enough proof for you that they're not all dogs. Beasts is a more accurate description of them because they aren't all dogs. (dogs are beasts, too)

Didn't mew give you an extra life if you jumped into it's sparkles in the origional Smash bros? I think I got my habit of always jumping to mew/celebi because of that. X.x
1. yur right about the beast thing..
2. nope Mew only gave u points in 1p mode

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Pokemon, Well most of them are modeled after animals. So to not make that correlation would be a little foolish. Next you could say that remoraid is not a remora and i am just saying that because remora is in the title and its a bottomfeeder.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
awwww what about the unknown?????? they kicked as.

this is a good update for me cuz me and some friends already planned the first match to be 99 stock only pokemon on very high on the smallest stage

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
A little bland update, I hope to be wowed soon. A string of awsome updates would be awsome. Then I could wait until January for more good ones.

Phoenix-esque, but in comparison to a real animal which most pokemon are based on he is a peacock. The whole sun god ra phoenix thing has alot to do with peacocks. I have loved that bird ever since i was little. If he had water powers would he be a peacock then? Its easier and more cool to associate him with a phoenix in which he is but also he is a peacock (the origin of phoenix's are from peacocks and egypt).
*NOOB STAMP*

Ho-oh is in no way a peacock, and Pokémon are not all based on real animals. Deoxys, anyone? Back to the whole phoenix matter, they originated in Egypt as you said, but they didn't have peacocks there. More likely it was based on a flamingo or heron or something.

Furthermore, Raikou is quite clearly a tiger, Entei is more dog-like and Suicune is more like a horse-ish thing. To call them all dogs or cats or gerbils is just incorrect. No official source has ever called them dogs or cats. The best bet is to call them beasts, or simply Pokémon.

lilparadise

Smash Apprentice
*NOOB STAMP*

Ho-oh is in no way a peacock, and Pokémon are not all based on real animals. Deoxys, anyone? Back to the whole phoenix matter, they originated in Egypt as you said, but they didn't have peacocks there. More likely it was based on a flamingo or heron or something.

Furthermore, Raikou is quite clearly a tiger, Entei is more dog-like and Suicune is more like a horse-ish thing. To call them all dogs or cats or gerbils is just incorrect. No official source has ever called them dogs or cats. The best bet is to call them beasts, or simply Pokémon.

*Claps hands franticaly*
THANK YOU!!!

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I love the fact that Mew and Celebi drop things now. Now seeing them will give more of a bonus than pausing and zooming in for bragging rights. :p I'm disappointed that a lot of the Pokemon look practically the same as in Melee, though... Not much of a graphical update.

maxieman

Smash Ace
I kinda wish they would show all the good updates then run out so i could just stop lookin on the dojo

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
As long as an update gives us NEW stuff or things that aren't confirmed yet, I'm cool with it. This update is one of them. But why did Meowth get it's own update? It's also a returning Pokemon. Uhm...the same goes for the Bumper...why, Sakurai?
My guess is that at the time of udpating Meowth and Bumper, Sakurai didn't plan on ever giving us these "blast from the past" updates becuase he didn't plan on the delay. That, or Meowth and the bumper behave differently then he did in 64 so they deserved their own updates.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I would have liked this update more if the pokemon werent all hideous.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Nice to see them return but only show us 11 returning Pokemon :O

Also the graphics on them seem unpolished. Nice udate though.

Mew Poops Cds :O

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
I'm cool with the update. Glad it wasn't a spoiler. I really want to be surprised when I get Brawl *snicker*.

The Pokemon models do look effortless, though. One more thing; Where the **** is Raikou?! He's probably coming back with a new move or maybe Sakurai didn't bother putting him on Dojo. Oh well I'm expecting something new from him.

"THUNDER ROAR!"

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
they should bring back Onyx from 64! but in a way more bad a$$ way! bigger boulders! more damage!
first thing I wanted to see after this update was Onix :p

I think for Pokemon who skipped Melee (IE Meowth) get their own update because of a graphical shift

Those renders are pitiful. Suicune/Ho-oh/Lugia is a step back from Melee :x

Wobbufet, Togepi and Bellosom don't look too bad.

SliK

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mind so much because i had a feeling he was going to pull o yeah btw i forgot to mention yesterday you can have top friends...

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm loving this update compared to the "Friend List update." It's cool to see the old Pokemon coming back and like some people have said before, Pokemon aren't usually on the stage long enough for you to pay amazing detail to them so obviously their graphics aren't going to look as good. Plus in action I'm sure the effects they create (Ice, fire, electricity, wind ect.) will look amazing...except Bellossom...wtf?

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
I'm sorry, but I can't help but complain...

All of the Pokemon aren't very well detailed at all. In fact, they almost look like they came from the N64 version. Melee's looked better than that, really.
same here, I'm not complaining about the update, I'm compaining on how ****ty those poklemon are.. they look like the came out of pokemon stadium for the N64! HORRIBLE! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
"Something about this makes me feel a little uneasy." "For once I agree with you. Chickens don't even know how to fly. They should have made it a pigeon." "What's that got to do with anything?! You dope!!!"- One Piece

Sakurai specifically stated that this was for people who hadn't played Melee.
If you haven’t played the last game or the one before that, you may be left wondering something like, "Why isn’t this Pokémon or that Pokémon in the game?"

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
"Something about this makes me feel a little uneasy." "For once I agree with you. Chickens don't even know how to fly. They should have made it a pigeon." "What's that got to do with anything?! You dope!!!"- One Piece

Sakurai specifically stated that this was for people who hadn't played Melee.
does that mean that the models can look like crap?

Top Bottom