• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.6 Alternate Stage Code Guide

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
When I export a stage, it comes out with 0 bytes. I open it in HxD and it doesn't have anything. I don't know why, but this is the only way I've gotten it to work so far, and I don't even want to add more than 1 alt stage per slot; I export an already existing stage code, then, just change that to what I'm adding in, and after that, add a new stage code and import over that. I then manually edit it to be like the others. same for the module.

I would do it the easier way, by just adding a new stage code and editing it to uniformity, but for some weird reason, it didn't boot PM after that, so now I'm on this method.

Still beats hex editing though. Thank you so much.
If your computer is slow at reading the files from the sd card, maybe your solution would be copying both the tool and the gct to your desktop, try the edits there, and copy back to the sd card. Still, if your way works, it's fine, I suppose...

How long has the ASL code supported different .rels for each stage? That's really neat. I'll have to update my stage manager to notice them.
Since PM 3.6 beta. In fact, the different rels thing only works on this version of the code, which apparently works only for the Project M folders setup.

seanbb

Smash Cadet
How I can associate a rel file to a Z stage?
I've replaced the old 64 version of the hyrule castle with the original bridge of eldin
the main stage is called stgoldin and was the remastered ver. of Hyrule castle (original PM ver)
the secondaries (L button) is the Original version of Oldin Bridge.
I've put the rel file named stgoldin_Z.rel in the right folder but the stage associate the rel file of the main stage (Hyrule castle).

Please help me
regards
sorry for my english;)

seanbb

Smash Cadet
How I can associate a rel file to a Z stage?
I've replaced the old 64 version of the hyrule castle with the original bridge of eldin
the main stage is called stgoldin and was the remastered ver. of Hyrule castle (original PM ver)
the secondaries (L button) is the Original version of Oldin Bridge.
I've put the rel file named stgoldin_Z.rel in the right folder but the stage associate the rel file of the main stage (Hyrule castle).

Please help me
regards
sorry for my english;)

sorry for the doble post
please delete it

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Assuming everything is named correctly, the only reason Bridge of Eldin wouldn't work in the alternate (Z) slot is if you're using the wrong .rel file. Because you have it in it's original slot, you could just delete the _Z .rel and it should work.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Mushroomy Kingdom had a secret where you could hold L and always get the underground version when choosing it. Is there a way to fix this so that MARIOPAST_00_Z and MARIOPAST_01_Z will load randomly when holding L?
I just noticed this was never answered, but I'm finding the same little roadblock as well.

seanbb

Smash Cadet
Assuming everything is named correctly, the only reason Bridge of Eldin wouldn't work in the alternate (Z) slot is if you're using the wrong .rel file. Because you have it in it's original slot, you could just delete the _Z .rel and it should work.
Thanks, u're right
I've deleted the rel file and now works.

manbearpig304

Smash Rookie
Has anyone had luck mapping alternate stages to the ZL and ZR buttons on the classic controller? I can get a stage to load when the ZR button is held but if I add a different stage to load when the ZL button is held the game loads the one assigned to ZR instead. I know the stage files are in the correct spot and named correctly because if I change the assignment to R instead of ZL the stage loads fine when holding R.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Here's the button codes from the original Alternate Stage Loader. I haven't tested it with this version but they probably are the same.
Code:
0 = No Buttons Held
1 = Left (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)
2 = Right (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)
4 = Down (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)
8 = Up (GC,CC,Wiimote D-Pad or GC,CC Analog)

10 = (GC Z)(CC ZL)(CC ZR)
20 = (GC R)(CC R)
40 = (GC L)(Wiimote B)(CC L)

100 = (GC,CC A)
200 = (GC,CC B)(Wiimote 1)
400 = (GC,CC X)
800 = (GC,CC Y)

1000 = (GC Start)(Wiimote +)
4000 = (CC ZL)
8000 = (CC ZR)

manbearpig304

Smash Rookie
Does this mean that a stage assigned to the Z button on the gamecube controller will also be triggered by ZL or ZR on the classic controller? If that is true then this is my problem because I had assigned the stage to be loaded with ZR to also be loaded with Z for when I play friends with the gamecube controller.

Last edited:

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Hey guys! Thank you Theytah and Mewtwo 2000 for the code and and ASL tool!
Unfortunately, I've encountered a small problem.

I added an alt stage for Smashville. Beforehand, I had non-rotating Clocktowerville, which is still on my SD card as STGVILLAGE0-4. I added Beachville, I believe it was called, as an alternate load stage as _Z, using the ASL tool, by holding L on the SSS. Beachville loads up well and correctly, however Clocktowerville no longer loads up, but instead the standard Brawl Smashville (camera and collisions n' all) loads in its place.

Also, I'm using the Hackless method.

I don't think I did anything in particular wrong, but I've also never worked with this part of modding before. Perhaps it's an issue with Smashville itself? Any chance, at your leisure, I could have some help?

My gct can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/600kjhd1asertcc/RSBE01.gct

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I added an alt stage for Smashville. Beforehand, I had non-rotating Clocktowerville, which is still on my SD card as STGVILLAGE0-4. I added Beachville, I believe it was called, as an alternate load stage as _Z, using the ASL tool, by holding L on the SSS. Beachville loads up well and correctly, however Clocktowerville no longer loads up, but instead the standard Brawl Smashville (camera and collisions n' all) loads in its place.

Also, I'm using the Hackless method.
Well, Smashville loads its stages by time of day and checks for Saturday, which to my knowledge is STGVILLAGE_04.

I personally have PM Smashville as an alt to Beachville, with Brawl Smashville + Falcon over K.K. in the _04 and _04_Z slots, and everything works just dandy for me. Not only that, but I just installed Homebrew and transferred my GCT and pf folder from the hackless method, and everything is the same as before, alts on every slot and all. I'll check your GCT and PM you if I find something totally out of whack.

Edit: Your GCT looks fine to me, at least in the ASL. My guess is that the stage you're looking for isn't loading because you're not playing at the right time of day? If not, try reinstalling the ASL for Smashville.

Last edited:

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
Well, Smashville loads its stages by time of day and checks for Saturday, which to my knowledge is STGVILLAGE04.

I personally have PM Smashville as an alt to Beachville, with Brawl Smashville + Falcon over K.K. in the 04 and 04_Z slots, and everything works just dandy for me. Not only that, but I just installed Homebrew and transferred my GCT and pf folder from the hackless method, and everything is the same as before, alts on every slot and all. I'll check your GCT and PM you if I find something totally out of whack.
Thank you, you're a saint.

I just want to clarify, though, unless I misunderstood you. By 0-4, I meant STGVILLAGE00 through to 04, so all 5 Smashville .pac files are replaced with Clocktowerville, and of course I have all 5 .pac files for Beachville, with the _Z.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I just want to clarify, though, unless I misunderstood you. By 0-4, I meant STGVILLAGE00 through to 04, so all 5 Smashville .pac files are replaced with Clocktowerville, and of course I have all 5 .pac files for Beachville, with the _Z.
Huh. Well, I suggest reinstalling both the ASL code and stages. If that doesn't work, I suppose I could figure out this MediaFire thing and post my GCT, which is prepped and working for alts on every stage slot.

Maikeru17

NNID
NoxNoctis
Huh. Well, I suggest reinstalling both the ASL code and stages. If that doesn't work, I suppose I could figure out this MediaFire thing and post my GCT, which is prepped and working for alts on every stage slot.
So, after trying what's probably every possible combination of code/stage alterations/variations, it seems that having "Randoms" on the ASL tool set to anything but 0 is breaking Smashville, loading vBrawl Smashville in place of STGVILLAGE_XX on my SD card, while button combinations work correctly to load Smashville_XX_Z

Which isn't too big of a deal (for me personally, I'm sure Mewtwo_2000 would like his tool to function correctly). Not having to intentionally pick which Smashville to play would be nice, though.

Thanks for the help, hopefully this helps others, as well.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
So, after trying what's probably every possible combination of code/stage alterations/variations, it seems that having "Randoms" on the ASL tool set to anything but 0 is breaking Smashville, loading vBrawl Smashville in place of STGVILLAGE_XX on my SD card, while button combinations work correctly to load Smashville_XX_Z
Randoms? That explains everything, and Mewtwo has your answer:
http://smashboards.com/threads/asl-on-pm-3-0.344543/

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
If it isn't too much trouble, could someone post a codeset with an alt for every stage? I'm unable to use the tool and I can't do hex editing very well.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So to add a stage to the list already in the tool when I open it up with the default codeset what do I do. I'm trying to put an alt over Frigate Orpheon of Pyropshere (this one: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208107) If someone just wants to do it for me great but I would like to know how to in case I want to do so to other stages. Thanks
For Frigate Orpheon, you'd need to figure out the first four letters of it's name (so ORPH) in hex, and then follow the tutorial from there. I'm not an expert at the 3.6 ASL code, so you may want to ask @ Mewtwo_2000 Mewtwo_2000 for more help on that front.:p

Last edited:

Wolfy76700

Smash Rookie
Hi! ;-) I have a few questions about that code:
1/ How do I use the alt REL (with the Z): If no alt REL is in the SD, does the game load the default REL from the disk or from the SD?
2/ How do I get ASRL working with Lakora's Stage Expansion Pack? Most notabily if I want to use Mewtwo2000's tool this seems kind of difficult since every Expansion Stage begins with the same 4 letters (CUST)

wauterboi

Smash Rookie
-snip-

Figured it out! I must have made a weird error somewhere.

Last edited:

Nebulon

Smash Rookie
Heya, I'm Nebulon from Brawl Vault, and I came over to try and get this code to work. I'm using Mewtwo2000's tool and added the ASL into my GCT using his tool (he has a button for it). Does Project M 3.6 use the same code as the one the button provides? I'm asking because I've been unable to get any alternate stage using Mewtwo2000's tool. Using the tool, I put in FINA for final, added the stage, hit the + for a new combination, made the combination A+R, made the Letter Z, and applied. Then I closed out of the program and added in my stage to Private>Wii>App>RSBE>pf>Stage>Melee as STGFINAL_Z. Now, since I'm using the game's FD module for the game's FD stage (meaning I don't have a st_final.rel or a STGFINAL as I'm using the ones off the disc), I did not make a module for Z as I read elsewhere that the stages could share the same module if they're based on the same original stage. If this is not the case than that might be my issue, all though I did make an FD module over FD using the Brawl Stage REL tool and that had no results

Essentially I want to know if there's anything that sticks out in my process as being wrong. Is there a part of the code that doesn't come with Mewtwo2000's tool, do I need a module, did I miss a step?

Oh and are these code incompatible with other codes? For instance, I use BrawlEX and the Stage Expansion. Does the ASL code not work with either of those two codes, or any codes that anyone knows of?

I hope someone can get back to me and help me out. This is a neat trick and I'd love to be able to utilize it :)

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Essentially I want to know if there's anything that sticks out in my process as being wrong. Is there a part of the code that doesn't come with Mewtwo2000's tool, do I need a module, did I miss a step?
Did you click the module button in the tool as well? Even if you're not using a rel, you'll need to set one up the same way. A+R, _Z in your case.

Last edited:
Did you click the module button in the tool as well? Even if you're not using a rel, you'll need to set one up the same way. A+R, _Z in your case.
Did not know this, thank you, should make life tons easier for myself and others.

I think its ridiculous we have to search all over this forum to get these questions answered.

Nebulon

Smash Rookie
I missed the module button I believe then. The only place I made it A+R was after checking the boxes in the button combination area (as well as filling in the box with a default A with a Z in it's place). However, I'm not seeing the word "module" anyway as an indicator. Is it a hidden function of the tool/less obvious? Was it showcased in his vid?

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Did not know this, thank you, should make life tons easier for myself and others.

I think its ridiculous we have to search all over this forum to get these questions answered.
Yeah it took me a while to figure this out myself haha.

I STILL cannot get multiple button combinations to work. I already have L button stages, Z button stages, and Y button stages. However, If I select L and Z in the ASL Tool (trying to make a stage load when I hold both L+Z), when I hold both L and Z down on the SSS and press A to select, I only get my already installed "L" stage. Does that make sense? It's really limiting which stages I can install.

ALSO, I don't understand how buttons like "R" and the Dpad are viable for selecting different stages because the R button swaps Page 1 and 2 and of course the Dpad moves the cursor. Am I missing something?

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I'm not seeing the word "module" anyway as an indicator. Is it a hidden function of the tool/less obvious? Was it showcased in his vid?
I don't believe it was showcased, but it should be to the left of the listed stages. The button will say "Stages ->" and when clicked on will change to "Modules ->".
I would post an image, but none of the imgur links are working for whatever reason, but that may be because I'm new to forums and such.

Also,
If it isn't too much trouble, could someone post a codeset with an alt for every stage? I'm unable to use the tool and I can't do hex editing very well.
Here's a GCT with alts set to L for every stage to be used in conjunction with PM 3.6b.

I STILL cannot get multiple button combinations to work. I already have L button stages, Z button stages, and Y button stages. However, If I select L and Z in the ASL Tool (trying to make a stage load when I hold both L+Z), when I hold both L and Z down on the SSS and press A to select, I only get my already installed "L" stage. Does that make sense? It's really limiting which stages I can install.

ALSO, I don't understand how buttons like "R" and the Dpad are viable for selecting different stages because the R button swaps Page 1 and 2 and of course the Dpad moves the cursor. Am I missing something?
I think it has something to do with button priority, but I'm not sure. Or perhaps the order in which you set them up? Might have read about it in some really obscure place. The Dpad seems fruitless, but R can be used if you hold it after switching over from the opposite page.

Last edited:

Nebulon

Smash Rookie
Okay, so just to see if it would work at all, I imported the ASL stage code of someone else. Their coding allows one alt stages on every stage with the name Z (such as STGFINAL_Z). So I made a Stage module with the module tool (separate program) and I renamed my alt stage for final destination STGFINAL_Z. So the weird thing here is, I load STGFINAL_Z regardless of whether or not I input the combination. Is this because I need a copy of the Final Destination Stage from the data partition? As in, is the game's not finding the STGFINAL or st_final properly so it's default loading STGFINAL_Z and st_final?

Oh, wait, does this not work with normal Brawl codes? I'm using this in VBrawl. Is this a Project M 3.6b code that will only work with the rest of Project M3.6b?

Also, I see an image of the tool with the Stage>>>> button, but my tool doesn't have that... maybe I have an older version?

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Oh, wait, does this not work with normal Brawl codes? I'm using this in VBrawl. Is this a Project M 3.6b code that will only work with the rest of Project M3.6b?

Also, I see an image of the tool with the Stage>>>> button, but my tool doesn't have that... maybe I have an older version?
I've never modded vBrawl, but I doubt the code set is compatible. And yes, Mewtwo2000 updated is tool several times right after PM 3.6b came out, so it's possible that the one you posses is out of date.

Nebulon

Smash Rookie
Can anyone confirm that normal Brawl is/is not compatible with this coding? I feel like I'm so close since now the game will load STGFINAL_Z (without any combinations)

Also, I downloaded the tool from Brawl Vault yesterday, and it appeared to be the same link that Mewtwo200 shared. I'll redownload and see what happens, unless someone tells me that none of this works with normal Brawl (VBrawl)

Nebulon

Smash Rookie
Okay, I started over and I've found something interesting for me.

It does not load the alt stage at all by using combinations, but if I make the button requirements "L" then it will load only the Alt Stage without having to actually press it, thus essentially replacing the original stage. This may be because I've got codes to switch RSBE folders (from RSB2, RSB3) and one of the buttons to do this with is "L" so perhaps because it's in use for something else it isn't working correctly...

Cynapse

Smash Ace
In digging through PM 3.6's code with the ASL Tool, I stumbled upon what I believe to be a harmless oversight:
http://i.imgur.com/2CUTuoP.png
I figure that snippet pertains to the wifi room, which would normally show up as STGONLINETRAINING. I guess OTRA is shorthand for it. Interesting.

Mushroomy Kingdom had a secret where you could hold L and always get the underground version when choosing it. Is there a way to fix this so that MARIOPAST_00_Z and MARIOPAST_01_Z will load randomly when holding L?
I have solved the mystery, except not really. I still have no idea if this can be fixed, but using a button combination that isn't L makes the randomizer script from Brawl will still apply. Also, your Big Shell update is pretty shweet.

Here is a GCT for Project M 3.6 that gives two alternate slots to every stage. The button combos are L for the _Z stages, and Z for the _Y stages. Inputting either of those without their corresponding stages (or modules) on your SD card will load the Brawl stage (or module) in that slot instead.

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Is it somehow possible to use the Add On system to enable and disable alt stages? I'm curious how add ons work for the ASL tool and cBliss.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Is it somehow possible to use the Add On system to enable and disable alt stages? I'm curious how add ons work for the ASL tool and cBliss.
I would imagine so. If you have the GCT files for whatever it is you're thinking about and set up all of the Add On stuff correctly, I don't see why it wouldn't.

cBliss, however, is a soul-sucking monster that needs further refinement, I believe.

Top Bottom