• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.6 Alternate Stage Code Guide

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, interesting, I got that stage to work as an alternate to Jungle Japes. What happens when you select it at the stage selection screen? Also, which version of the stage are you using as it comes in three versions?
The frozen one. Is there something you did differently in the ASL Tool than me?

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
The frozen one. Is there something you did differently in the ASL Tool than me?
You named the Final Destination rel file st_dxgarden_Z right? And also check on the ASL Tool that both the module and the stage file are both set to the letter Z with the same button configuration.
What happens when you select the stage? Does it hang or make a beep?

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
You named the Final Destination rel file st_dxgarden_Z right? And also check on the ASL Tool that both the module and the stage file are both set to the letter Z with the same button configuration.
What happens when you select the stage? Does it hang or make a beep?
Yup. I named it with the _Z and both files are using Z. When I select holding "L" or not, I always get default Jungle Japes. It doesn't freeze/crash with the beep, just goes to Jungle Japes and starts the match like normal.

@ Mewtwo_2000 Mewtwo_2000 can you please help me?

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
From your pictures, it should be working. I don't know, send me your gct, maybe I find something that's not fine or something.

By the way, I've just updated the tool. The only change is that now you can switch between the old and the PM3.6 methods for detecting the imput buttons. The old way needed the buttons set to be pressed alone. The new way triggers the stage selection if any of the buttons set is detected, no matter if other imputs are pressed at the same time. You can select what's the one that fits better your needs

Now I'll try to guess what's wrong with STGGW, so I'll update it again when I find it out.

MFMAXY

Smash Apprentice
Now I'll try to guess what's wrong with STGGW, so I'll update it again when I find it out.
my guess that this and STGICE have problems due to the fact that their names are shorter than four letters.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
In theory they're fixed, only that some inputs weren't properly converted to the working one. Now it should work. Re-download just in case.

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
I've been experimenting with the tool, and it's amazing. Thank you Mewtwo2000! However, I'm having trouble with STGTENGAN. I want to have this as an alternate for Spear Pillar in PM: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=206464

I'm only using the Giratina version, so I named it to STGTENGAN_1_Z, STGTENGAN_2_Z and STGTENGAN_3_Z, and the guy who made the stage provided a st_tengan.rel, so i'm using that as my st_tengan_Z.rel. In the ASL Tool I added TENG with 1 button combo (L+A like in PM) to both the stage and module files, but whenever I try to load the alternate stage the game freezes :( Is there any specific complications with this stage or am I doing something wrong?

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
From your pictures, it should be working. I don't know, send me your gct, maybe I find something that's not fine or something.

By the way, I've just updated the tool. The only change is that now you can switch between the old and the PM3.6 methods for detecting the imput buttons. The old way needed the buttons set to be pressed alone. The new way triggers the stage selection if any of the buttons set is detected, no matter if other imputs are pressed at the same time. You can select what's the one that fits better your needs

Here's my .gct file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f11z3pim5guyw58/RSBE01.gct

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

So with this updated version, can we make the current alternate stages load with random stage select as well (so we dont HAVE to choose and press L to load the alternate stages)?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
In theory they're fixed, only that some inputs weren't properly converted to the working one. Now it should work. Re-download just in case.
I tried the new version for STGGW, but no luck. Now it crashes when trying to load the alt, regardless of what stage and rel are being used (and I've tried combinations that work fine on other slots).

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hey, does anyone know how one would go about setting up an alt for shadow moses island? would i have to name the files stgmetalgear_00_Z, stgmetalgear_01_Z and stgmetalgear_02_Z?
The stage that I am looking to put as an alternate is the PM Shadow Moses Island http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=204130
I actually have the exact same alt in my build. You're right about the stage names, same goes for Spear Pillar and Smashville. You only need the one REL file too. In terms of ASL code, you only need to use the stage code META and it applies to all three variations; treat it like any other stage.

Argentic

Smash Cadet
I edit my codeset manually to get one more stage for every single stage, except for Flat Zone 2 (STGGW.pac) because I don't know what are the first 4 letters. Could anyone help me with this?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I edit my codeset manually to get one more stage for every single stage, except for Flat Zone 2 (STGGW.pac) because I don't know what are the first 4 letters. Could anyone help me with this?
Should be GW.P, but it may or may not work for you. I know some people get it to work, myself and others can't get it working.

Argentic

Smash Cadet
Should be GW.P, but it may or may not work for you. I know some people get it to work, myself and others can't get it working.
I transformed GW.P to Hex and added the correct lines to the codeset but didn't work for me either. Maybe STGGW_en.PAC has something to do or should I desist and just replace Flat Zone 2?

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I transformed GW.P to Hex and added the correct lines to the codeset but didn't work for me either. Maybe STGGW_en.PAC has something to do or should I desist and just replace Flat Zone 2?
I was told that GW_E is unnecessary, but I could be wrong. I've tried replacing both with no luck.

jackdeathshard

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to add a second alternate for pokemon stadium. I have done the code correctly, but whenever I try to play on any of the stages for pokemon stadium, the game crashes. I've been using R to load the second alternate stage, because the D-Pad moves the pointer and start selects the stage. I have had success with this on battlefield, so why won't it work on this one?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I did it too with the same result. Well, I'll put Parachute over FZ2. Anyway, thanks for the help!
That stage sounds interesting, got a link? PM me please so we don't clutter this thread!

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I made a Smashboards profile solely because this was (and still is) driving me mad, but I did manage to get Skeleton's bridged stage working as an alt for Jungle Japes without messing with the .rel code or adding a rel for it, as it doesn't need one. I simply plopped it in my SD card as STGDXGARDEN_Z, edited the exact code your were looking at (using both GCT Edit and HxD) and ka-boom.

Your problem appears to be this:
46000010 00000000
44000000 005A7CB0
66200034 00000000
44584741 01000000
01400019 00000000

The first 1 in the last line needs to be a zero (00400019 00000000), as Theytah originally posted, however in doing so I found that the alt stage for Brawl's Distant Planet no longer loads up, and will always go to PM's. I know just about as much about hexadecimal and coding and whatnot as you, so I've no idea why this is but will continue to fiddle with it nonetheless.

Hope I was actually helpful on my first post ever.

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
I made a Smashboards profile solely because this was (and still is) driving me mad, but I did manage to get Skeleton's bridged stage working as an alt for Jungle Japes without messing with the .rel code or adding a rel for it, as it doesn't need one. I simply plopped it in my SD card as STGDXGARDEN_Z, edited the exact code your were looking at (using both GCT Edit and HxD) and ka-boom.

Your problem appears to be this:
46000010 00000000
44000000 005A7CB0
66200034 00000000
44584741 01000000
01400019 00000000

The first 1 in the last line needs to be a zero (00400019 00000000), as Theytah originally posted, however in doing so I found that the alt stage for Brawl's Distant Planet no longer loads up, and will always go to PM's. I know just about as much about hexadecimal and coding and whatnot as you, so I've no idea why this is but will continue to fiddle with it nonetheless.

Hope I was actually helpful on my first post ever.
Thanks for the help, but I've been trying to use @ Mewtwo_2000 Mewtwo_2000 's ASL tool. But I haven't been able to succesfully make Jungles Japes have an alt. yet. I kind of gave up on Theytah's coding thing, but I should probably not have. :p

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I'm not home now and I can't check, but I think thet tutorial is wrong when it says you have to use 0140 as the button combination, aka A+L. If an A only combination (0040) is detected, L+A will trigger that one too. Use the tool and set it to L only, or change from "OR" mode to "AND" mode. Download again the tool if you don't see the option.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me for any ignorance if this is mentioned somwhere(I'm getting lost in all the code talk :p ) Does this mean it would be possible to have the R button and A activate a third stage? And even Z and A for a fourth? Do you think that would happen in the official Project M release? I'd like to load some custom ones in certain places. Such as the Wii U ported stages, and 64 stages like 64 FD and 64 Battlefield.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I'm not home now and I can't check, but I think thet tutorial is wrong when it says you have to use 0140 as the button combination, aka A+L. If an A only combination (0040) is detected, L+A will trigger that one too. Use the tool and set it to L only, or change from "OR" mode to "AND" mode. Download again the tool if you don't see the option.
Should the newest version of the tool be working properly with Flat Zone 2? I notice the stage code comes up as GW(music note)P, which seems kind of odd, and it crashes whenever I try to load an alt stage. I've attached my GCT if you wouldn't mind taking a look. maybe you can see the problem better than I can. I've tried doing the code by hand before the tool was released, but never had any luck with that either on this stage. https://www.mediafire.com/?iebxdgkeud4e6s6

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me for any ignorance if this is mentioned somwhere(I'm getting lost in all the code talk :p ) Does this mean it would be possible to have the R button and A activate a third stage? And even Z and A for a fourth? Do you think that would happen in the official Project M release? I'd like to load some custom ones in certain places. Such as the Wii U ported stages, and 64 stages like 64 FD and 64 Battlefield.
The R button is already used for flipping back and forth between pages so I don't know how well that work with mapping an alt stage to that button but mapping a stage to the Z button works.

I don't think the PMDT is planning on giving a stage more than one alt in an official version.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Alright, so after fiddling with Mewtwo's lovely tool, I have found that you can add up to 26 alts to a stage slot provided they all use the same .rel and you have enough button combinations set up as well. I have not, however, cracked how to get the installed alts to load with random stage selection, but that's nothing to cry over as I far I'm concerned.

Also, it is possible to use the R button; just make certain you've kept it held while flipping over from the page opposite the one where the stage you're messing with is located.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Should the newest version of the tool be working properly with Flat Zone 2? I notice the stage code comes up as GW(music note)P, which seems kind of odd, and it crashes whenever I try to load an alt stage. I've attached my GCT if you wouldn't mind taking a look. maybe you can see the problem better than I can. I've tried doing the code by hand before the tool was released, but never had any luck with that either on this stage. https://www.mediafire.com/?iebxdgkeud4e6s6
Ok, I've found the problem. You were trying to load an alternate Flat Zone with an alternate module, but the code was wrong for the module due to its short name. Not your fault, of course, but mine. Now the tool should be fixed, write 'GW' in the modules part and the code will get fixed.

I've also updated the issue it had when recognizing the STGICE stage.

Alright, so after fiddling with Mewtwo's lovely tool, I have found that you can add up to 26 alts to a stage slot provided they all use the same .rel and you have enough button combinations set up as well. I have not, however, cracked how to get the installed alts to load with random stage selection, but that's nothing to cry over as I far I'm concerned.

Also, it is possible to use the R button; just make certain you've kept it held while flipping over from the page opposite the one where the stage you're messing with is located.
The red quote isn't true. You can have 26 alt modules, too. So you can have 26 different stages in a slot, no matter the module they're using. At least, in theory. The number of button combinations increases when using the 'AND' mode instead of the 'OR' one, as it recognizes button combinations made with different imputs at the same time (say L+Z+A, or L+Z+START, or L+R+Z+A...)

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I've found the problem. You were trying to load an alternate Flat Zone with an alternate module, but the code was wrong for the module due to its short name. Not your fault, of course, but mine. Now the tool should be fixed, write 'GW' in the modules part and the code will get fixed.

The red quote isn't true. You can have 26 alt modules, too. So you can have 26 different stages in a slot, no matter the module they're using. At least, in theory. The number of button combinations increases when using the 'AND' mode instead of the 'OR' one, as it recognizes button combinations made with different imputs at the same time (say L+Z+A, or L+Z+START, or L+R+Z+A...)
Were you able to figure out why I couldn't get the Jungle Japes alt. to work?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman

Still no luck man. :/ I've attached my GCT again. Any other ideas what could be going wrong? Every other stage works fine. I've tried with a few different stages in the alt slot. http://www.mediafire.com/download/e58i7syqki139uq/RSBE01-gwtest2.gct

(Also, on an unrelated note, does cbliss work with 3.6? I can't find any info on that anywhere and won't be messing with it until this stage issue is fixed, I just want to make sure first).

Cynapse

Smash Ace
After even more fiddling with the ASL Tool, everything that I've modded works as it should; I'll have a functional alt or two for every slot before long. Mewtwo and Theytah know their stuff.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Still no luck man. :/ I've attached my GCT again. Any other ideas what could be going wrong? Every other stage works fine. I've tried with a few different stages in the alt slot. http://www.mediafire.com/download/e58i7syqki139uq/RSBE01-gwtest2.gct

(Also, on an unrelated note, does cbliss work with 3.6? I can't find any info on that anywhere and won't be messing with it until this stage issue is fixed, I just want to make sure first).
Damn, looks like I still didn't fix how it writes the code when in module mode. I'll fix later.

Your working code should be this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f6hci4hzct2jmpb/RSBE01-gwtest2.gct

Were you able to figure out why I couldn't get the Jungle Japes alt. to work?
I've tested and your gct tries to load both st_dxgarden_z.rel and stgdxgarden_z.pac when holding L. Just as it's supposed to. You'll have to check both your rel and stage, because the code itself is working.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Indeed, I'm having the same issue with Flatzone 2. Be it the code method or Mewtwo's ASL Tool, an alternate stage simply will not load, but at least it doesn't freeze.

Ash Cuda

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to wrap my head around the first part. I (think) I understand how to use the ASL tool, but I've no idea how to properly change the coding even after reading through all of this. All I want to do for now is add an alternate stage to FD and smashville. I believe I've found the stages in the codelist, and I think this is FD's:

46 49 4E 41 01 00 00 00

Is there anymore to the coding for the stage, or is it simply that line of code? If that is the only part of the code, what do I add to give it an alternate stage? I'm pretty new to all this stuff so please forgive if any of this is basic or easy to understand.

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
I've tested and your gct tries to load both st_dxgarden_z.rel and stgdxgarden_z.pac when holding L. Just as it's supposed to. You'll have to check both your rel and stage, because the code itself is working.
So the code is working but I replace the .rel for Jungle Hijinx with a FD->Jungle Japes .rel, but it still does nothing but load the original Jungle Japes. I checked and both .rels are fine as far as I can tell.

Is there something I did wrong??

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
I haven't messed with the asl tool yet, but from the sound of the thread, if you know what to do, it works then?

I knew gw_en isnt important, but is there anything specific i need to know about it to add to it?

I've already replaced alt stages. But haven't added any.

Real quick, if it's okay to ask; pirate ship has to keep in it's slot in order to have it's water, right? Even if i move it to the alt of the slot it should work, like ps1?

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
For STGGW, the code is GW(symbol)P for the stage and GW(symbol)R for the module. The tool didn't use the 'R' for the module before, that's why it didn't work. The tool should automatically fill the correct code when you just write GW or STGGW now.

So the code is working but I replace the .rel for Jungle Hijinx with a FD->Jungle Japes .rel, but it still does nothing but load the original Jungle Japes. I checked and both .rels are fine as far as I can tell.

Is there something I did wrong??
Maybe the name of the stage is wrong? STGDXGARDEN_Z.pac is the name.

Last edited:

libertyernie

Smash Ace
How long has the ASL code supported different .rels for each stage? That's really neat. I'll have to update my stage manager to notice them.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
When I export a stage, it comes out with 0 bytes. I open it in HxD and it doesn't have anything. I don't know why, but this is the only way I've gotten it to work so far, and I don't even want to add more than 1 alt stage per slot; I export an already existing stage code, then, just change that to what I'm adding in, and after that, add a new stage code and import over that. I then manually edit it to be like the others. same for the module.

I would do it the easier way, by just adding a new stage code and editing it to uniformity, but for some weird reason, it didn't boot PM after that, so now I'm on this method.

Still beats hex editing though. Thank you so much.

Top Bottom