• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please learn to angle shield

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is important for all characters, but for Mario, it's a matter of life or death that you learn to angle shield properly. Mario's shield radius is very small and leaves his head and feet open to be poked pretty easily.

By learning to properly angle your shield upwards, you immediately make the G&W, Marth, and Metaknight matchup better for you by about 5 points, and get an edge in the Mario ditto (since not very many Mario mains angle shield correctly at the moment anyway). As an added bonus, angling shield upwards is a good way to get yourself ready to buffer either an Up-smash out of shield (if you are holding the control stick all the way up, press jump + attack to Up-smash instead of using tap jump) or a SH U-air out of shield, the latter of which is an oos option that is for all intents and purposes mostly superior to N-air out of shield in terms of safety and damage.

And I don't think I should have to explain the benefits of angling shield downwards when standing on a platform. Especially in the above four matchups I mentioned.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Woo! GO A2Z! for doing his best to try to advance Mario's metagame!!
I only angle my shield upwards against nado, and I see how that helps, but how does it help against GnW and Marth?

Nice researcher title, btw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W and Marth (and Metaknight for that matter) have good aerial spacers that are annoyingly good at shieldpoking Mario. It's essential to angle shield against them since shield your most important approach in those matchups.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Everyone angles shield on reaction vs the Tornado. But very few players actually do it on habit against aerial spacers that normally have an easy time shield poking Mario. It's not quite as simple to properly apply angling shield against Marth's F-air or G&W's B-air on reaction since those have much less startup than the Tornado. That is why I'm making a point that Mario mains should be able to deliberately angle shield for the purpose of blocking spacers.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Vedy good vedy vedy good

I thought the Sheild Moving was for show, really

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It also helps quite a bit with annoying Bairs like Wolf's, D3's and especially Kirby's. I've slowly gotten into the habit of tilting my sheild down for MK's Dsmash. It helps a ton.

Top Bottom