• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

please critique...video problems fixed!!

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
I think I only win one of these. My biggest issue is that I have no one to play with. I spend hours in training mode but I can't handle pressure.

Another thing is, upB out of shield is so hard when you're nervous. I kept jumping. anyway, please give me all the tips you can. sorry there is no sound, i dont know why.

it would be nice to hear from aftermath especially, and hugS, and phanna, and crashman, and jasona.

all tips are appreciated. very much appreciated.
vs. Marth Dreamland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6xbsrDbz7g

vs. Marth FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJkIdHeuQk

vs. Samus PS Ditto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_tRGfK1t8
oh, and yes i know, STOP SDing.

JOLT143

Smash Apprentice
in the first match you had the best mindgames i've ever seen in the first 20 seconds, lol. Nice edgehog at 4:02 in th first one, and nice kill at 2:34 in the second. you are pretty good considering marth is a hard match for samus.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
plz play against a better marth and use a less shakier camera

and use ur tilts... don't always just run tackle
but plz better vids (as in non shaky camera)

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
okay, thanks for the tips and compliments. when i get nervous I forget to cc and smash so i dash attack a lot more than usual. I'll work on it

better marth? I thought he was pretty good but definitely I'll try to find one.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Can you get a better player to fight? It's hard to tell how good you are when you play a Marth that would rather dash dance on the other side of the stage than combo you even slightly, let alone to death.

Until then, you looked pretty average to me. Then again, that's why I want to see you in a real challenge.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
okay. and thanks corey I had meant to say i wanted you to post in this thread too. you and mars.

im going to a tournament in two weeks I'll try to get some videos then

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I cant make too much of a comment, but in terms of style against Marth...one or two things that I know *I* would get punished for against any of the Marths I play. Dont try to drop nairs onto him. Itll work occasionally, but most of the time a good Marth will see it coming from the next town over and then start a combo on you, or worse yet, tipper a smash. You have no priority on Marth from above. At all. Also, be a bit more careful on how close you are when you fire those missiles. It works on other characters pretty nicely, but a well spaced Marth has no problem tipping through a missile at close range. It worked on this guy because he didnt appear to have alot of Samus experience, and just did not know what to do when a missile would come at him.

Otherwise, not bad. You did well keeping him off the stage. I think it was the best part of your game against him.

3Years

Smash Lord
I can't handle pressure..
dont feel pressured if u feel presseured most likely your not gunna do well...

when i get nervous I forget to cc and smash so i dash attack a lot more than usual. I'll work on it.
always cc except 4 peaches smash

dash attack is good against a marth but dont spam it cuz they'll eventualy catch on

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Done.

LOL, just kidding, I'll look when I get home. I'm expecting a bit from you.

presssuurureee.

lol man i just got so nervous. it was a MM. I ended up winning (on yoshi's story btw) but that match, which was great, didn't get recorded.

Dont try to drop nairs onto him. Itll work occasionally, but most of the time a good Marth will see it coming from the next town over and then start a combo on you, or worse yet, tipper a smash. You have no priority on Marth from above. At all. Also, be a bit more careful on how close you are when you fire those missiles. It works on other characters pretty nicely, but a well spaced Marth has no problem tipping through a missile at close range. It worked on this guy because he didnt appear to have alot of Samus experience, and just did not know what to do when a missile would come at him.

yeah you're right. I don't have a full grasp of spacing and priority yet. Plus I find it very hard to get back to the ground when I'm being juggled.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I only watched the first match, I figure I got enough from that.

Good samus, I don't know why everyone is complaining about the marth, he is just defensive, I think you handle him pretty well. I have to say though, you seemed catious with your grapple on the battle field, which is normal, but if you think you are going to miss the sweet spot go for a wall jump. I recently started incorperating this in my strategy, and it works nicely.

Other then that, no major things that I noticed, well not that you can't learn with experience.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I dont know about samus as much as marth, but i can tell you that marth is really really bad. play better people to get better

Corigames

Smash Hero
That's something I usually don't hope for.

Just ask for good fights, someone on level with you makes for awesome fights, and if you beat a pro, definitely want to see that! I came close last tourny, and I still would have loved to have that video.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that Marth was stupid. He was pretty quick but wtf was the deal with the dashdancing around and doing other "cool" stuff just to show off at random times. The most notable was when he threw you in the third match and then decided to wavedash back and forth instead of capitalizing on the throw. I was totally baffled. He did a lot of other stuff that made very little sense. I don't consider myself a great player in the grand scheme of things but...wtf.

I'm sorry I know this is supposed to be to rate you and not your friend. I thought you did some nice stuff. I am a Marth main but I have a buddy who plays Samus and you seem to be better than him. Besides just general skill things like mindgames and tech skill becoming sharper I think you have a good grasp on stuff. Of course my opinion isn't much considering I know little about how Samus plays but I just felt I should give some credit. If your lucky you can get one of the Samus greats in here to tell you how it is.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Jetty is so good at mindgaming people he makes them look like complete and total n00bs?

It is kinda weird that you said that. I know it's supposed to be a joke and I think I'm a noob so I wouldn't say it for myself but that guy never DD's and WDD's like that when he's playing other people.

I'm sorry I know this is supposed to be to rate you and not your friend. I thought you did some nice stuff. I am a Marth main but I have a buddy who plays Samus and you seem to be better than him. Besides just general skill things like mindgames and tech skill becoming sharper I think you have a good grasp on stuff. Of course my opinion isn't much considering I know little about how Samus plays but I just felt I should give some credit. If your lucky you can get one of the Samus greats in here to tell you how it is.

Hopefully one of them will.
I do know all the little flashy tricks with samus but I didn't do them because he picked marth, if he had been fox, falco, or captain falcon I probably would've been a bit more relaxed.
Thanks.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that Marth was stupid. He was pretty quick but wtf was the deal with the dashdancing around and doing other "cool" stuff just to show off at random times. The most notable was when he threw you in the third match and then decided to wavedash back and forth instead of capitalizing on the throw. I was totally baffled. He did a lot of other stuff that made very little sense. I don't consider myself a great player in the grand scheme of things but...wtf.
Lol, thats because it was a friendly. I'm sure if it was serious he wouldn't be "dashdancing around and doing other 'cool' stuff just to show off at random times"

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

no i meant more that he was just throwing out moves with no idea which move he should be throwing out. he also had no idea how to even dodge missiles, and didnt know how to combo or approach affectively.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
I saw the first two matches only.

It seems to me you're at that place where you have good ideas, and you're trying new things but you don't have everything down to an exact science yet, creating a struggle with choice of moves, technical skill, what to do, etc.

These things will come with experience, but for now my advice is to work on some of your technical skill, and perhaps get some inspiration from watching some videos, if you don't already (which... it seems like you do, right?). I watched the matches yesterday, so I'm not remembering specifics, but I'd say work on the general technical aspects (sweet spotting every ledge on the different levels [learning where the point-of-no-return is], rising grapple, edge recovery)... that'll help smooth things out a little (read: protect you from killing yourself by making dumb mistakes).

Really though, like others are saying, get some better people to play against; by playing against better people, you'll quickly learn what to do and what not to do, thus refining your playstyle, you know?

You've got some cool ideas, keep it up...

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem with pressuring. Whenever it is a close match, i get nervous and my b-up out of shield gets more slower and my L-canceling weakens by a lot and i wavedash less. most of this stuff ruins me but i learned to overcome this by not looking at the lives as much.
But ofcourse, you always lower your eyes to the bottom of the screen and see 1 little samus head with 128% below it.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
thanks for all your suggestions. I really need to work on spacing too. My recovery is also off. I sometimes forget that samus has more options than the ones im thinking of.

^and yeah, I look at my stock count almost constantly

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
one of my consistant smash partners is a real good samus main, so i'd like to think i know a little bit about how she plays. the only thing i can really reccomend is to cc a lot more and use the jc'd missles more. granted, i dont know how good of an idea the jc'd missles are against marth, but when it's used against me, it forces me to approach instead and limits my options. hope that helps at least a little.

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
i dont see what was so wrong with the marth player,maybe he was getting low of them grapes?

Top Bottom