• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstyles?

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
I think that there might be two distinct playstyles in brawl. I'm going to call them aggressive and control (yes, they are named after mtg playstyles because they work by the exact same principles). Basically, aggro is based on acting, and control is based on reacting. Now I realize that you should always be reacting to whatever your opponent does, and aggro does that, but always with a goal in mind, like: approach opponent. Control however is simply reacting and countering everything the opponent attempts, and is thinking only of that. Most people call control camping, and it is, but not always. Camping means that you are playing a control game while staying put. You don't have to stay put while playing control, and it is usually better not to.

Good play is based on spacing, minimizing risk, and mindgames and both playstyles use these, but differently. Aggro uses good spacing and mindgames to find a way through to the opponent, then uses attacks that have a low chance of being punished. Control needs to have really good spacing as they are playing defensively, and they use mindgames to try to get their opponent to make a punishable mistake. They also benefit alot from spam, or moves that can potentialy deal damage to the opponent with zero risk, although a spammable move is not required to play control. Also, aggro is generaly (relatively) high risk, high reward, and control is low risk, low reward.

An example of a control playstyle is Snake. He pays extra attention to spacing, uses mindgames to make the opponent make a mistake and then punishes, rather than to try to approach, and keeps risk at a minimum by reacting rather then acting.

An example of an aggro playstyle is Metaknight. He uses mindgames to get to the opponent and then chases them, using fast moves to lower risk, but still having a higher risk than snake, as he is acting rather then reacting. However, he has a higher payoff, killing the opponent quickly and unexpectedly.

I think that in melee, the best players were aggro, but in brawl, thanks to the new shelding system and lack of combos, control is playable, possible even superior to aggro.

So what do you think about these playstyles and which chars play which best? I'll start off by saying that Pit plays control much better than aggro, and he is good enough at it that he can usually force his opponent to play aggro, which makes him good against chars that prefer control.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
i do alot of both, but my whole foucus is usually being fast and staying far enough away to just barely not get hit, so idk what u'd call that but it works for me

Amide

Smash Lord
Aggro is much better. I hate when people barely move and still manage to do well.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
@chaoscizzors: Control players can use momentum too. But their first priority is to stay spaced from their opponent and react to what they do. If you get in a hit that sets you up for some momentum, then take it. You are playing control.
@Jointhegalactic: Thank you capitian obvious.
@TLink King: In melee, mabey. Unless you're Falco. But in Brawl... look at Snake.

If you want to better understand what I am talking about, watch this vid. Forward plays control the entire game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8ro3oLLtk

Kros

Smash Apprentice
Control works out better with me with the new shielding in brawl.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
control also has the added advantage of really P***ing off the other player
making them make or mistakes

meta is also slightly control because of his light weight. this forces him to be cautious and back away if the opponant is in a possition to punish him.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
ive played the most agressive pit ever didint let me do anything and used like a few arrows per stock instead of the usual 50+

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For most of the roster, I do play offense most of the time. There are a few characters where I play defense though.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Honestly, I do both. I feel that it depends on the character however.

For me, Semi-Aggro Ike,Falco,Mario,Marth,Olimar, etc works wonders :]

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Third style: Chaos. Chaos is Aggro plus mind-games :)

I personally like to play aggressively while paying close attention to what my opponent is doing. Sort of like playing defensively within the opponents personal space bubble in between attacks. For instance, at any given time I am either attacking, dodging, short-hopping towards or (in the spirit of avoiding their counter-attacks) away from the opponent, or chasing.

Disclaimer: I don't always play like this, and sometimes I play better defensively, depending on my opponent's tactics, but I do consider this way of playing to be the most fun.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
In general I camp in brawl

I pick Dedede throw little people at you run away and abuse my shield.

I guess I sorta play aggressive in the air but what I mean by that is like B-airing someone knowing it will miss to drop and b-air them out of their air dodge.

In melee a lot of different styles dominated the field.

Cort and PC played fairly aggressive in some of their matches while players like m2k and Vidjo woud camp ruthessly.

That doesn't mean they always do so but it seems that way. PC can and will camp in melee if it'll help him win. And m2k will go aggressive if he knows it will help.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
In general I camp in brawl

I pick Dedede throw little people at you run away and abuse my shield.

I guess I sorta play aggressive in the air but what I mean by that is like B-airing someone knowing it will miss to drop and b-air them out of their air dodge.

In melee a lot of different styles dominated the field.

Cort and PC played fairly aggressive in some of their matches while players like m2k and Vidjo woud camp ruthessly.

That doesn't mean they always do so but it seems that way. PC can and will camp in melee if it'll help him win. And m2k will go aggressive if he knows it will help.
It's all about the matchup, which characters are playing and which people are playing. All characters can play both playsyles, they can even switch mid-game. It all depends which one works the best at the moment, as you said, PC and m2k had prefered playstyles but they weren't stupid. They changed when it worked.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
I think your playstyle should vary situationally depending on who you play and how they play and what character they use.

I play Snake, and I consider myself decent, and most of the time I play control. Snake has one of, if not the, best control game in Brawl. Occasionally I will be forced to play more aggressively, when I get fed up with campers that can out camp me (not very often).

Falco's playstyle in Melee could vary, depending on how much / how well the player SHL spammed, but Falcon's generally tended to be aggressive 99% of the time.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
For me (I main Pit and ZSS, while my secondaries are Toon Link, Marth, and Wolf), I think that I do both. For Pit, I always arrow spam in the beginning (not to be "cheap" like the n00bs who arrow spam the ENTIRE time :(), but rather to piss off the opponent so they will rush recklessly into a close range attack of mine that I've planned. I believe that I attack more close range w/ Pit, or have it about 50/50. And here's a question: Is ZSS an Aggro or a Control? I think I use her as an Aggro.

SuPeRCuSsIoN

Smash Journeyman
there is a third. aggro-control....this stuff is old and was mentioned long ago in melee.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Depends on what character...

With Lucario I use control with slight aggressive if its against another Lucario.

With Anyone else I use my own style which is flow with opponents moves and punish them if they show a weak spot

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i play sonic and lucario, and i love the rush of going up and beating someones face in. so i play very aggressive, but that has not netted me many wins, as i leave myself open alot. controling as a playstyle is 10 times more effective as a playstyle than aggro, it even blows CF's playstyle from melee out of the water. b/c of this, i plan to be much more reactive with my palystyle in the future

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i used to be Aggro in melee and that got me like all my wins. but in brawl im like the stage god i control consistently and only go aggro against certain characters lol

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
there is a third. aggro-control....this stuff is old and was mentioned long ago in melee.
It's old enough that lots of people didn't know about it (me for one). Anyway, I believe that knowing which playstyle to use when is a big step towards realizing your characters potential.

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
I play control-style all the time. I think control-type characters seem to have a slight advantage over aggro-type simply because in Brawl, it seems every move is easier to dodge and counter than in Melee.

Rick-E

Smash Cadet
Personally, I play Aggressively. I find that this isn't as an effective method as control though :/
Whenever I fight my friends kirby, the fight is always really close but I'm always on the losing side. Most of the time I just get worked up and run right into his combos :(.

Top Bottom