• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstyle of each character?

Lattenzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2621-3172-9784
Switch FC
SW-6477-3999-3958
Would like to know every character’s playstyle. Just curious.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
That's a tall task to fill Lattenzo. Maybe you should try and narrow that down a bit instead of asking for the playstyles of all 72 characters.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness - Ness is an aggressive pseudo grappler that’s essentialy a rushdown character. While he has projectiles and defensive options neither PK Fire nor PK Thunder are zoning tools and are more punishing tools for when you’re advantage. Even PSI Magnet is used more offensively and for spacing than defensively. With Ness your goal is to get in with your great aerials, string some combos together, catch landings with PK Fire, get a throw and get your opponent off stage and start harassing with PK Thunder. Then once they’re at kill percent in neutral you try to confirm into a back throw or land a bair, a uair, a nair, a yo-yo or a bat. When they’re off stage and you’re in advantage at kill percent you can go deep and edgeguard with fair, ledgetrap with yo-yo dsmash or usmash, try and land a spike, keep juggling them with PK Thunder, etc...

A lot of people mistake Ness as a defensive zoner when in reality he’s an extremely aggressive character that’s main style is rushdown. He can bait and punish too. He can play zoning a little bit but he doesn’t want to although he does have tools to hinder characters trying to zone him

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Instead of looking for a playstyle out of the roster, find characters that look appealing to you and break it down from there.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
:ultwolf:: Mix-up
:ultness:: Semi-grappler/zoner
:ultmario:: Grappler
:ultdk:: Semi-grappler/bruiser
:ultmarth::ultlucina:: Zoner
:ultchrom:: Zoner
Ness isn’t a zoner. He’s much more of an aggressive rushdown character who uses his aerials and strings to do huge chunks of damage and his projectiles offensively and sparingly

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
:ultsnake:: Snake is a essentially a battlefield controller. Snakes, or at least those worth their salt, will be tossing/placing grenades as often as possible for space denial. On top of his grenades, a placed C4 can often deny an entire platform on a stage in itself as it's a big threat from mid to high percents and even a kill move. When an opponent is off stage, Snake has two things going for him. First of which is his Nikita Missile Launcher, which will fire off and can be controlled by the player. The Nikita has a pretty strong knockback and is a solid kill option for offstage play. However, this isn't always possible with certain character recoveries, leaving Snake to trap the ledge. This comes easily with the form of planting C4, grenades, and Snake's up-smash Mortar which provides an intense zone denial. Up close and personal is where Snake tends to struggle, while having some very good tools to get opponents away from him (Utilt, Ftilt, Dtilt, Dair, Nair, Bair, and even Dsmash). Often times, when the opponent is a decent percent, Snakes will start fishing for an Utilt for an easy kill as it is one of our strongest kill moves. Be wary of trying to juggle Snake, as they tend to favor the trade with grenade, and it comes out fast and if you hit the Snake while grenade is out, there's a good chance you'll detonate it and it'll end up in the favor of Snake for the most part. Snake's love their grab, and more importantly their Dthrow, which will force a tech-chase, so mix up your reactions otherwise they'll have your number. Be wary of being grabbed at high percent as if you're the victim of Dthrow at 160%, Snake has a guaranteed Utilt and it is a confirmed kill on every character. This isn't to say Snake doesn't have his weaknesses. Snake has to have a small bit of time to set up and is susceptible to being rushed down hard. When on their backfoot, Snakes will usually recover high with Cipher, in order to mixup their landing with b-reversed grenade pulling. Remember, Snakes will come down with grenade in hand to ensure a safer landing.

I hope this helped.

I realized this wasn't one of the characters asked for, but maybe this'll help others.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know you can play one character several different ways right?

There is very rarely one correct playstyle for a character, just different ones that will do better in different matchups.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ness isn’t a zoner. He’s much more of an aggressive rushdown character who uses his aerials and strings to do huge chunks of damage and his projectiles offensively and sparingly
Ness isn't that fast, so I wouldn't even say he's a rush down character. That's better suited for those like ZSS, Sheik, Pikachu, Pichu, Inkling.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
He can be a zoner though. He can run away with the best of them, even better now that his ground moves and aerials are way more frustrating to deal with. Just because Awestin plays insanely aggressive doesn't mean that it works for everyone.

Honestly the last thing we need is cookie-cutter playstyles in this game. I think this stales the game, and doesn't make it worth watching different players play a the same character. I also think this is what ruins some players, because they can't do what the pros do at the same level and get destroyed by someone spamming smashes - even though they're "doing everything right". Develop what works for you, and play that way. Learn your character's true combos, and try to figure out how to win neutral on your own. It will give you a stronger foundation to build upon.

Lattenzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2621-3172-9784
Switch FC
SW-6477-3999-3958
I don't really think you could call Chrom a Zoner and that's it. He might be more of a rushdown/zoner. I don't think I've ever seen a Chrom that just hits you with some aerial and runs away.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why are people calling the FE swordsmen (who aren't Robin) zoners? I was under the impression that that playstyle required projectiles.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Why are people calling the FE swordsmen (who aren't Robin) zoners? I was under the impression that that playstyle required projectiles.
They’re zoners (especially Marth and Lucina) because they’re all about spacing. They wanna keep you out of their space and control the match by using their sword to zone you out and control the tempo and spacing of the match. If their spacing is off they’re not playing their optimal play style. They’re not rushdown they’d rather keep you out

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
He can be a zoner though. He can run away with the best of them, even better now that his ground moves and aerials are way more frustrating to deal with. Just because Awestin plays insanely aggressive doesn't mean that it works for everyone.

Honestly the last thing we need is cookie-cutter playstyles in this game. I think this stales the game, and doesn't make it worth watching different players play a the same character. I also think this is what ruins some players, because they can't do what the pros do at the same level and get destroyed by someone spamming smashes - even though they're "doing everything right". Develop what works for you, and play that way. Learn your character's true combos, and try to figure out how to win neutral on your own. It will give you a stronger foundation to build upon.
I get that I just think Ness’s optimal playstyle is aggressive. Ness does have the option to zone though if you prefer to play him that way and has a lot of ways to play neutral

I definitely agree though. Play whatever style you’re comfortable with with whatever character you want. I just kind of went over how I play him

osby

Smash Obsessed
They’re zoners (especially Marth and Lucina) because they’re all about spacing. They wanna keep you out of their space and control the match by using their sword to zone you out and control the tempo and spacing of the match. If their spacing is off they’re not playing their optimal play style. They’re not rushdown they’d rather keep you out
Except Roy, you mean

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Though you should definitely find your own style, I’m finding it interesting that some of the more projectile heavy characters are turning into better rushdown characters than the ones they intended. ROB and Diddy come to mind especially. Something about having an equippable item in your moveset that causes immediate disruption on your opponent or forces shield makes it way better to take initiative as soon as you can versus trying to zone anyone out. Then on the other hand, Chrom, one of the more obviously intended glass cannon/rushdown characters, is better at poking and baiting than he is at rushdown.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I don't really think you could call Chrom a Zoner and that's it. He might be more of a rushdown/zoner. I don't think I've ever seen a Chrom that just hits you with some aerial and runs away.
Yeah, I was suspicious about labeling him as a zoner.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Though you should definitely find your own style, I’m finding it interesting that some of the more projectile heavy characters are turning into better rushdown characters than the ones they intended. ROB and Diddy come to mind especially. Something about having an equippable item in your moveset that causes immediate disruption on your opponent or forces shield makes it way better to take initiative as soon as you can versus trying to zone anyone out. Then on the other hand, Chrom, one of the more obviously intended glass cannon/rushdown characters, is better at poking and baiting than he is at rushdown.
I think it’s interesting too and not every character with projectiles is designed to be a zoner (I didn’t play Smash 4 but I don’t think Diddy has been a true zoner since Brawl). Of course they can mix it up and play the zoner game and then go aggro at opportune times and I think that’s probably the most effective way to play a lot of characters. It keeps you unpredictable and predictability gets you beat

Top Bottom