• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlaynTrade - Walpole, MA - Aug 31, 08 - Updated on the 18th, Brawl Singles

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
There will be a Brawl tourney on the 31st at PlaynTrade in Walpole MA and I will be updating you with info as I find out more thx for your patience in advance. Here are the rules I took from Mem. Chains because he is a cool dude.

Address:
90 providence hwy
Walpole MA( in the mall next to papa gino's)

Entry fee
$10 or you can trade in 2 PS3,360,Wii,and DS games and you get free entry. Cannot be 2 of the same title and no sports games and it doesn't matter how much there worth you will get the store credit and free entry.

Time
11am is when sign-ups will start and noon time is when sign-ups will end.

The tourney will start promtly at noon time so please be on time.

Store #
508 668 0523

Prizes
1st $100 store credit
2nd $50 store credit
3rd $25 store credit

Rules

General

Double Elimination
All matches are best of 3, winners'/losers' finals best of 5, finals best out of 7
3 stock, 7 minute limit
Ties broken by lives/percentage
Items OFF Smash Balls OFF

Stages

Neutral Stages: (These will be on random.)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Brawl Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks available:
Delphino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Brinstar
Jungle Japes

Other

NO INFINITES AT ALL THAT MEANS AGAINST WALLS AND CHAINGRABBING INFINITES! THIS RULE WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED!!

Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set
if the player choosing already won on that stage.

Random Knock-Out: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the random
stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.

Stage Banning: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the stages available for counterpicking.

Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go
random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may
change characters.

Double blind for character selection may be used if a player wants to.

Other Rules & Special Issues

Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc),
except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are
banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be
disqualified from the tournament.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use
third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you
are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to
use that controller any longer.

Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character
or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match
or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the
immediate forfeit of the match.

Tactics such as Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or
to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively
stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath,
is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to
enforce this rule during a match.

You are responsible to bring your own controller. Any controller is suitable
for this tournament (wii mote/nun chuck/classic), just make sure people around
you are not also syncing at the same time as you.

WE WILL BE NEEDING SET-UPS SO PLEASE BRING WII'S AND COPIES OF THE GAME. NO TV'S BECAUSE THEY ONLY HAVE 8 TV'S.

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS BECAUSE YOU NOT BE PROVIDED WITH ONE.

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
And for the chaingrabs, for example, on Pokemon Stadium, can you D throw against the mound of dirt in the rock version with DDD?

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
By weapon sliding do you mean mortar sliding?
No that is fine just no item sliding for example ROB's spining top and diddy's banana's

And for the chaingrabs, for example, on Pokemon Stadium, can you D throw against the mound of dirt in the rock version with DDD?
You can throw them a couple of times but then you have to throw them away after a while. If there is any dispute at the end of the match BOTH competers will be DQ'ed. I have faith in this community to tell the truth and complete trust in everybody so please don't let me down and let's not give the community a bad rep.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Wait... no glide tossing? Seriously? Way to gimp Diddy Kong...

Can you at least explain why?

And why no Rainbow Cruise for CP?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Infinites and glide tossing should be fair game. If you play as one of the 7 characters with a horrific matchup because of an infinite, you can learn another ****ing character for that matchup or just stop sucking. And glide tossing? Seriously wtf? Why do you honestly think that it's broken enough to warrant a ban? Lose to too many Diddy, Rob, Peach players lately or something?

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Infinites and glide tossing should be fair game. If you play as one of the 7 characters with a horrific matchup because of an infinite, you can learn another ****ing character for that matchup or just stop sucking. And glide tossing? Seriously wtf? Why do you honestly think that it's broken enough to warrant a ban? Lose to too many Diddy, Rob, Peach players lately or something?
I know Tom lost 2 that Diddy in MM. That **** was super crazy though >.> idk if warrents a ban, but either way I am in lol

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Banning Glide Tossing just doesn't make sense. It's not broken, it's not game changing, it's not even character specific... everyone can glide toss(except Link?). Anyone that touches an item(And there's tons of character generated items in the game) can do it. It's a silly ban that doesn't make any sense. I suppose I shouldn't even be arguing this since this tourney is on a Sunday and I can't attend, but I don't like silly rule that gimp characters.

It doesn't help that I play Diddy Kong and it gimps alot of his mindgames and approaches.

::shrug::

Tom, please explain why you're banning it. I'm really confused here.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
What The ****!!!!

this is xfro by the way on okesokes account. the only thing i can say is wow. im not bashing you tom but making that rule is officially dumb. i understand no infinating with chaingrabs and **** like that, but banning moves that a player has to work for in order to make their character somewhat able to compete with **** *** snake or metaknight is rediculous, how is a ****ing diddy gonna compete with top teir without a few tricks up his sleeve . you might as well ban mortar sliding and spamming metaknight's tornado. i understand that it is annoying to utilize glitches that make some characters better, but look at melee, that game was full of glitches and it was considered one of the best fighter games of all time. it is like every fighter. you find things to exploit and then others have to learn to adapt. i hold you in high regard tom as a smash player but dont let your anger get in the way of proper judgement. i cant agree with you on this subject and hope that you reconsider the rule that you set in place.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I don't really care it was the owners decsion on the matter and I am basically following orders. I actually just talked to the owner and he says it's fine but the reason why he didn't want it there in the first place is because it's techniqly a glitch. If nobody *****es about it during the matches then he's cool with it.

Generally nobody *****es so it's fine.

BubbleTea

Smash Apprentice
That kind of sucks that you can only get 'store credit' for a prize :/

No offense, but it seems to be a bit of a rip off to trade in TWO games just for an entry fee of 10 dollars. wouldn't you be able to resell those two games online and get at least over $30?
Just a thought.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Entry fee
$10 or you can trade in 2 PS3,360,Wii,and DS games and you get free entry. Cannot be 2 of the same title and no sports games and it doesn't matter how much there worth you will get the store credit and free entry.
^ So if the games are worth $30 dollars you will get the entry fee takin care of and the money, but the money will be in a store credit.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I think its just no infinites, I think you can chaingrab just not the infinite version.

And now I have a question!

= What systems to the games need to be for? I don't want to show up with "NBA showdown" and "ACME animation factory" for the SNES and not be allowed to enter...

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
That's a relief, banning chaingrabbing is stupid. If you get chaingrabbed, it's your fault for getting grabbed in the first place.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
What systems to the games need to be for? I don't want to show up with "NBA showdown" and "ACME animation factory" for the SNES and not be allowed to enter...

Just because I don't have much money and I would like to conserve as much as I can!

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
What systems to the games need to be for? I don't want to show up with "NBA showdown" and "ACME animation factory" for the SNES and not be allowed to enter...

Just because I don't have much money and I would like to conserve as much as I can!
It's PS3,Wii,360, and DS those only nothing else.

eggmn

Smash Rookie
i went the the first brawl turny here it was okay im probabaly be going toi this one too

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Wow only $100 store in credit? What happened to the diesel prizes PlayNTrade used to have?

BubbleTea

Smash Apprentice
is this doubles AND singles?

if there are doubles, do you pay 10 per person? or 10 per team?

(i just saw that you said life stealing was allowed for teams so...ya)

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
is this doubles AND singles?

if there are doubles, do you pay 10 per person? or 10 per team?

(i just saw that you said life stealing was allowed for teams so...ya)
There will be no teams I will fix that.

WE NEED SET-UPS BY THAT WE NEED WII'S AND A COPY OF THE GAME WITH EVERYTHING UNLOCKED PLEASE!!!!

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
If only it was a saturday.

And store credit does kinda suck for payout, but than again i never make it to the money anyway.

Closest so far was probably that second in teams... :p

Donut!

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to go to this, but I have to work :\

I hope this Play n' Trade has more tourneys, I live like 5 minutes away

Top Bottom