• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing to Win, NOT playing for fun

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend

*Scrubs should read this[/SIZE] (cuz no one likes the b****ing of scrubs, silent ones are okay; but not b****ing ones ^_^)

*Players who know the ropes, the gimmicks, the gay, and the great, but choose NOT to use a few of them but still enjoy playing in tourneys should continue playing as you always do. THIS thread is not for you cuz you enjoy playing for fun. (read title, "...NOT FOR FUN"... ^_^). Now if people start b****ing about someone else's talent in beating them, then they may need to read this thread. (Casual complaining to socialize and chuckle and inquire is often fun and not a problem... when that becomes b****ing is when things change.... cuz few people like b****ing ^_^).

*Players who's "Fun" is inline with "WINNING at tourney," this thread is actually REALLY meant for you guys. READ IT! You'll enjoy it!

*Players who's "Fun" is really inline with "getting more money," this thread is "PARTLY" meant for you guys. You can read it, but you might be happier with a fun good job ^_^ (like me... when it comes to getting money at least)

*Players who hate fun and wish to be a cold, heartless, slaying, money-lusting, winning robot, this thread can't really be for you at all CAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THAT DON'T EXIST! (at least, those who do exist don't continue playing video games... they go on to become psychopaths ^_^). So don't bash some of the seeminly-cold/greedy winners (not that anyone has done any bashing or that winners are cold or greedy... just a friendly note for people who don't know better... now they know ^_^).

A lot of people play Brawl for fun. A lot of people go to tournaments with this mindset. They enjoy the community and the jokes and snickering and whatnot.

However, if you want to get better in the game, if you want to pass that plateau that you seem to be stuck on, you have to embrace everything the game possesses: Gimps, camping, CGs, spamming...everything that can be considered slightly or majorly homosexual. People will complain about you, saying that you suck/gay/you wouldn't beat them if you didn't use that "gay-*** ****," but who cares? If you care more about your reputation than money in your wallet, you shouldn't be playing this game competitively. You can go to tournaments and play friendlies, but don't enter...you don't have the mindset to do well competitively. You might as well throw 10 dollars into the toilet after you just had a massive unloading.

If you are going to play in tournaments, you should play to win. There really is no other reason to ENTER a tournament. Going to one, yeah, but entering? You are just giving 6 dollars to 1st place, 3 dollars to 2nd place, and 1 dollar to 3rd place when you could actually buy something that is needed/wanted.

So please, before you start complaining about how bad you do in tournament, think to yourself Do I really play to win? Do I really put in all the effort during those matches? If not, either stop playing competitively or learn the right mindset.

TL;DR scroll up and read the **** thing

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Since my recent tourney results inspired this, I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents from my personal POV.

#1: Not everybody plays for the same reasons. If I wanna waste money entering tournies and not playing campy, that's my prerogative. Apparently I find some kind of enjoyment out of it, or I wouldn't keep doing it.

#2: Who complained? The only thing I complained about (if by complain, you mean mentioned it as an anecdote) was tripping into a C4. Unless you mean me saying I need to work on my tech skill, which is a plain & simple fact.

I think you're assuming everybody wants to be the next Anther/ESAM/big-name Pika...... which is false.

Some people like playing with mid/low tiers.
Some people like playing an aggro playstyle even though it's not "the best".
Some people hate CGing and planking and choose not to play that way.
Some people don't play MK/Snake/Diddy/Falco/ICs.

All of these things are against what people should do if they're playing to win, but guess what?
Some people are fine being mediocre players.

I know it's a hard concept to understand, but trust me on it. =P You may not get it, but you don't have to.

EDIT: I'm not saying some people shouldn't stop *****ing and play lamer, but you need to realize that your logic doesn't apply to everyone.

EDIT #2: That being said, I mentioned to Prime on AIM that I might start doing mms only at tournies from now on. People seem to play a bit less campy in them, and I can eliminate stupid MUs where the entire match is CGCGCG. The only hard part sometimes is finding people to challenge. ;;

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Lol, dat ESAM logic.
Most people enter a tournament knowing they won't place into the $$$, but because they know they'll have a great time regardless. And this is true for every competitive game- not just smash.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
KayLo! said:

#1: Not everybody plays for the same reasons. If I wanna waste money entering tournies and not playing campy, that's my prerogative. Apparently I find some kind of enjoyment out of it, or I wouldn't keep doing it.
Why wouldn't you just pay door fee and play friendlies? They are just as fun as tournament when you aren't playing seriously. Hell, you could say its the same thing besides the fact that you paid money to not play serious in tournament. You are saving 10$ by doing that.

KayLo! said:

#2: Who complained? The only thing I complained about (if by complain, you mean mentioned it as an anecdote) was tripping into a C4. Unless you mean me saying I need to work on my tech skill, which is a plain & simple fact.
I didn't mean it as a direct reply to you, just in general because I hear a lot of people *****ing about how they didn't do good and then don't play to their characters full ability.

KayLo! said:

I think you're assuming everybody wants to be the next Anther/ESAM/big-name Pika...... which is false.
You don't have to be the top, just good enough to potentially place well.

KayLo! said:

Some people like playing with mid/low tiers.
When did I ever say ANYTHING about tiers? Nick Riddle just got 3rd at MLG with a mid tier, and shaky/san got 10th/11th with low tiers. They use their character to the fullest and play to win with them.

KayLo! said:
Some people like playing an aggro playstyle even though it's not "the best".
Playing an aggro style is fine...hell, thats what I do, but that doesn't mean you can't recognize the time to stop and play differently. It is really easy in fact...

KayLo! said:
Some people hate CGing and planking and choose not to play that way.
If you hate CGing/Planking/camping/anything gay then play a character who doesn't thrive with it.

KayLo! said:
Some people don't play MK/Snake/Diddy/Falco/ICs.
...Did I ever mention playing another character? I wrote this in the PIKACHU boards for PIKACHUS. Do I play MK/snake/diddy/falco/IC? No, and I'm not saying that you should either. You should still learn how to use your character to the best of its ability, or at least try your hardest.

KayLo! said:

All of these things are against what people should do if they're playing to win, but guess what?
Some people are fine being mediocre players.
Being satisfied with being mediocre doesn't make much sense...maybe just to me...but everybody should want to get better. Why stagnate when you can make progress (I really don't know the mindset behind that...so you can actually explain it to me).

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Some people are illogical.

Some people actually want to play just for the fun of playing, and have more fun playing against people who are playing to win? Idk.

Edit: I'm deffinately not complaining, those people just bring attendance up.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Honestly, if you don't get the "play for fun (in tournament)" mindset by now, you probably never will. Which is fine. You're the type of person who plays for money and winning obviously, and that's how you have fun. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that...... it's how most pros feel (which is a large part of why they're pros).

I can't speak for why other people play competitively, but for me, I like the challenge of trying to outsmart my opponent in CQC. I forget I even have tjolt as a move half the time when I'm playing, because I like to get in there, start a string of hits, and see how long I can keep the momentum/reads/landing punishes/etc. going. If I do tjolt, it's mainly because I figure "Meh, I should throw some out maybe." I really don't like using it.

That's why things like CGs, tjolt camping, and planking are boring to me..... you're not really doing anything. You're just hitting the same buttons over and over (CGing) or waiting for the other guy to get fed up and come over to you (tjolt/planking).

Maybe I should play another character, but I have fun with Pika, and I've played him for so long that he feels natural to me. Don't get it twisted: I know how he should be played, I have a ****ton of knowledge about the game in general, and I'm not ignorant to the fact that how I prefer to play is bad. But it's how I have fun whether I win or not. Maybe one day I'll get tired of losing and decide to switch to being more campy, but right now, this is how I want to play.

When did I ever say ANYTHING about tiers? Nick Riddle just got 3rd at MLG with a mid tier, and shaky/san got 10th/11th with low tiers. They use their character to the fullest and play to win with them.

...Did I ever mention playing another character? I wrote this in the PIKACHU boards for PIKACHUS. Do I play MK/snake/diddy/falco/IC? No, and I'm not saying that you should either. You should still learn how to use your character to the best of its ability, or at least try your hardest.
I mentioned the tiers thing because it's the same concept on a more general level.

Why not play Pika to his fullest with all the gay ****?
Well, why not drop Pika altogether and play MK?

Same idea, different levels.

Also:

EDIT #2: That being said, I mentioned to Prime on AIM that I might start doing mms only at tournies from now on. People seem to play a bit less campy in them, and I can eliminate stupid MUs where the entire match is CGCGCG. The only hard part sometimes is finding people to challenge. ;;
However, I'm making this decision not because of my performance being subpar but because it's simply not fun for me to play against super campy people.

Some camp I can deal with. But NJ-in-tournament camp is beyond ridiculous..... Yes!'s Wolf didn't move from the SV platform the entire first stock, which is when I offered not to CG him if he would just ****ing come down so we could play. (Not hating on him for playing that way, obv, but it was still boring.)

EDIT:

I'm deffinately not complaining, those people just bring attendance up.
Also, this. People like me put free money in your pocket, so stop *****in. :p
Jkjk, <3 you ESAM.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I play to win...I think. I just feel like I have so much to learn that "playing to win" won't help me right now. I think I need to focus on "playing to learn," so I can gain the experience to know what to do in X situation. "Playing to win" is better once one is at a certain phase in their player development. Even though certain people know what "playing to win" really means, not everyone follows this even if it would benefit them. I am one who wants to play to win, but I don't believe it's optimal for me to play to win atm.

Roller

Smash Legend
0_o When was the last time Neji posted around here? Haven't seen him in a whiiiile.

I kinda agree with esam. I see what you're saying KayLo, but you really could just get that same experience playing friendlies/seriouslies/MMs (vs people you know you have a shot against).

I personally do not play for the money, because I don't really need it. I do however play to win. I play more for the respect that comes with being good at something.

Of course I love making friends and hanging out with people at the tournaments. It can be really fun, but I don't see why that would hold you back from utilizing some of the best techniques in tourney matches with **** on the line.

If you use pika, people EXPECT you to use the cg's. It is one of pika's strongest abilities. To not use them is just being stupid.

Granted I second the ICs. So of course I have this mindset, however I had it well before I picked them up. It just makes more sense to me.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So it's stupid because it's not how you play?

I don't see why we can't agree to disagree without one side being right or wrong, lol. Again: not everybody plays for the same reasons.

This is why the Smash community sucks half the time. People have a really hard time accepting another POV when it's not what they agree with...... they automatically deem it scrubby or stupid or wrong when it's just different, plain and simple.

You do you, I do me. You may become a great pro one day, I probably won't. So what?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So then what is the point of you playing competitively? Going to tournaments and friendlying sure, but why do you enter the bracket? The way you play it is just as fun to play in friendlies as tournaments.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Because a majority of people sandbag hard (maybe exacerbated because I'm a girl) and/or suck in friendlies, and when I do beat someone good, it doesn't matter. It's just friendlies.

This Saturday was pretty bad in terms of how hard I got camped, but usually I enjoy my tourney matches whether I win or lose. (I don't mind playing against a normal amount of camping, but when it's SUPER lame, that's when I get irritated.) It's nice to see how I do against people who're supposedly so good, and it's a more accurate gauge of my skill level.

EDIT: Like I said, though, I might start doing mms only and not enter bracket. MMs have always seemed more fun to me..... like a mid-point in terms of seriousness between friendlies and tournament.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So do I.

The only time I sandbag is if I'm about to 3-stock somebody hard (which only happens with Zelda vs. Pika)..... then I'll mess around a bit. Otherwise I think I play pretty normally in friendlies -- not 100% but maybe like 70-80. I do loves my dash attack. <3

But yeah, that's why I don't do only friendlies. I've beaten a few pros/semi-pros in friendlies who I clearly know I'm not better than, and it sucks knowing you're only winning because they don't want to give you enough effort to play even half-seriously. Still fun but not enough.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The only thing that keeps me down in friendlies is the pressure. Because of that, in friendlies I play like 90%, but consciously I'm playing 100%.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You feel pressure? In friendlies? :confused:

I feel waaaay more pressure in tournament. Friendlies/mms don't phase me nearly as much. You lucky!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You misunderstand. I play better under pressure, therefore in tournament, where there is pressure, I do better, the last 10%.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I can say that I understand both perspectives and those inbetween.

I have no qualms about playing-to-win because that is fun (for me).

On another note, I've always been raised to view "Games are games, life is life, and money... well... AIN'T CHEAP" For people who feel similarly, there are two common "logical" outcomes to this thinking (there are others, but from my experience in meeting people... these 2 top them):

1) Playing to Win: "If I use money, I'd better well win some (or MORE) back, cuz money ain't cheap (want more monies, which is good...^_^)!"

2) Playing for fun: "I'd rather not use money (thus more friendly and casual MM inclined), but if I did, I must get the best "gaming experience" from it, cuz money ain't cheap (I want most value for the money, which takes many forms depending on what I, myself, "value")."

(a very simplistic generalization I do admit.)

*In regards to kaylo and people sandbagging*
Yes, the only reason I can't be content with just friendlies is that people do sandbag in friendlies (and I see that hard whenever I go in with my low-tiers).... For example....

....No one takes (my) Link seriously at all when I pull him out (not really playing-to-win while I choose link... but I don't joke around with my link either). If I freindly opponents, they go ditto or something (I hate it when arrogant noobs ditto my low-tiers). If I MM them, Some still go CaptainFalcon or something (they think, "It's just one match anyways... This'll be entertaining..."). Only in tourney brackets will my opponents take me seriously when I go Link (cuz its not only this one match, they'll risk the rest of the tourney, the fun ride against better players, and the prize money if they sandbag me and lose). So the "playing for fun" attitude may have its place in brackets afterall, if by "fun" means you "get a kick out of beating or trying to beat high-caliber players giving it their all under pressure while you are just screwin' around."

In regards to the relevance of the post "title," I'd have to say that ESAM's and others' play-to-win point of view has considerably more weight when within this thread, and the other perspectives may hold less weight (not because they aren't valuable, true, or significant.... it's just this thread topic is geared towards one specific perspective... and its very clear). I might add that with MLG gaining speed, this topic may be very appropriate for those who are "like-minded" and need this info.

*Scrubs should read this
(cuz no one likes the b****ing of scrubs, silent ones are okay; but not b****ing ones ^_^)

*Players who know the ropes, the gimmicks, the gay, and the great, but choose NOT to use a few of them but still enjoy playing in tourneys should continue playing as you always do. THIS thread is not for you cuz you enjoy playing for fun. (read title, "...NOT FOR FUN"... ^_^). Now if people start b****ing about someone else's talent in beating them, then they may need to read this thread. (Casual complaining to socialize and chuckle and inquire is often fun and not a problem... when that becomes b****ing is when things change.... cuz few people like b****ing ^_^).

*Players who's "Fun" is inline with "WINNING at tourney," this thread is actually REALLY meant for you guys. READ IT! You'll enjoy it!

*Players who's "Fun" is really inline with "getting more money," this thread is "PARTLY" meant for you guys. You can read it, but you might be happier with a fun good job ^_^ (like me... when it comes to getting money at least)

*Players who hate fun and wish to be a cold, heartless, slaying, money-lusting, winning robot, this thread can't really be for you at all CAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THAT DON'T EXIST! (at least, those who do exist don't continue playing video games... they go on to become psychopaths ^_^). So don't bash some of the seeminly-cold/greedy winners (not that anyone has done any bashing or that winners are cold or greedy... just a friendly note for people who don't know better... now they know ^_^).

Food-for-thought-quotes that could apply to playing Brawl:

"George Washington could not lie, but I have a higher, greater principle: I can lie, but I won't :p" --Mark Twain....

"Bending or breaking the rules sometimes determine who wins and loses. Criminals, out of weakness or desperation, break the rules. Masters... bend the rules out of strength...."

TL;DR: There is none.... I am LDPK--you guys all know these don't exist for me, lol ^_^. *forgive me for the long-a** post. :p*

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
That was actually a really good post LDPK. Quoting part of it and putting it at the beginning.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
2) Playing for fun: "I'd rather not use money (thus more friendly and casual MM inclined), but if I did, I must get the best "gaming experience" from it, cuz money ain't cheap (I want most value for the money, which takes many forms depending on what I, myself, "value")."

*Players who know the ropes, the gimmicks, the gay, and the great, but choose NOT to use a few of them but still enjoy playing in tourneys should continue playing as you always do. THIS thread is not for you cuz you enjoy playing for fun. (read title, "...NOT FOR FUN"... ^_^).
These two..... are me. <3

Glad to see someone understands!

You misunderstand. I play better under pressure, therefore in tournament, where there is pressure, I do better, the last 10%.
I'll trade you, lol.

I get so nervous in tourney, my hands shake..... even against people who aren't that good. x.x It's bad, but I figure I'll magically get over it one day if I keep entering & trying to ignore it.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I'll trade you, lol.

I get so nervous in tourney, my hands shake..... even against people who aren't that good. x.x It's bad, but I figure I'll magically get over it one day if I keep entering & trying to ignore it.
It's not gonna get better if you think it'll just magically change. :O You gotta make it change. If you do the same thing over and over again hoping that one day it'll just work, nothing's gonna happen. You have a good amount of experience, so it's not a first-time-nervous thing, and if something hasn't worked yet, it won't next time.

/psychologywannabe

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
<-- biopsych major

Yeah, but it's not an issue I can do anything about, lol. I've tried ignoring it, relaxation techniques, forcing them to stop, etc. etc. but you can't make yourself less nervous by telling yourself to not be. (Many people can't at least.)

Doesn't work like that, so unless you have a better idea, I'll just have to let 'em shake. Not gonna not enter tournaments because of it.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I dunno what you do to try to relax, but I was just saying that if it hasn't worked by now, it probably won't.

What I do to make myself more comfortable with something is to make myself face an extreme form of it. For example, to make myself more "immune" to sarcasm and trolling, I went on 4chan. Not sure if that applies at all to being nervous during smash though, lol.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hehe, dunno if I can find any extreme Smash tournaments. (hmm) Oh well. I don't think it affects my playing that badly..... and I haven't SD'd in tourney in months, so maybe it's getting better little by little.

A girl can hope..... x.x!

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Do you play sports Kaylo?

I hear that playing sports and similar team/1-on-1 games tend to get those endorphins running which is a good antidepressant. High adrenaline type activities like scoring a goal or defending a goal, martial arts, and public speaking (yea, that's actually up there ^_^) tend to take the edge out of a lot of cases of nervousness.

I tend to be a performer at heart (do stunts, sound effects, singing, and gymnastics), so I tend to not get nervous whenever I have people watching me--when I am alone, my martial arts side kicks in, but that's not so reliable.

You'll probably get over the shaking hands in due time. Just wait until something in life happens that makes your nerves all shot, then the anxiety will be no problem at all ^_^.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I used to do sports. & I usually don't get nervous over stuff.... kinda weird that I do over Brawl, of all things.

Oh well, if it goes away, it goes away; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

King~

Smash Champion
i wanna say i used to shake alot when playing, and it stopped recently or i get over it much quicker

but i SD like a duma**, so idk i think i need to nerves =/

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
This is actually a pretty good thread. I totally see both point of views, but I'd have to say I probably play to win.

Now, I went to MLG Columbus knowing I WOULDN'T win. Why? Lots of reasons. I've only been to 2 local tournaments (top 4 outta 30 in one, still local though), and I hadn't practiced a lot coming in. Also, I have only recently made the switch to Brawl from Gears 2 (what I originally planned to play at Columbus).

However, even though I lost 2 in a row, I enjoyed Columbus. I mainly enjoyed it because I got to play a lot of MUs in friendlies I normally don't get to, and improved in certain areas. Plus, I got to watch good Pikas like ESAM, Anther and PikaPika play. Just watching them definitely gave me a better concept of how to use Pikachu.

So, although I wasn't technically planning on winning, I wasn't definitely playing to improve. I wouldn't want to play and not try to work on improving SOME aspect of my Pikachu game. If I'm understanding the debate correctly, I don't play just for fun then.

However, I can see Kaylo's point of view. Maybe it's the fact that I'm older than most Smashers (22), but I can see someone just enjoying the atmosphere, chatter and friendlies. And heck, if you are at the tournament, why not pay the extra $10 and give it a go? Even at MLG, where the pass was $35, I was only paying $10 more than spectators. My attitude was "Why not? It will only help me."

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Absolutely phenominal read. Bookmarking this. Kudos to LDPK for the amazing post. It really piques my interest when threads like this show up.

Edit: I get shaky hands syndrome for the first few friendlies before the actual tourney bracket starts, then once I get warmed up it stop. Idk, I get in my gaming mood, and I'm twice as good. Then for around an hour or two after it's over, I can't stop thinking about brawl. But whn I'm all warmed up, I'm almost not nervous at all. I found that it was partly because I kinda set my concience that is thinking about WHO i'm playing and WHERE I am on autopilot (or just turn it off and forget where I am) and focus on the match instead. I'v found myself realizing that I was in a tourney when I thought I was at my house after a couple of matches that were intense. =D

On the whole fun vs winning thing: my mindset when I enter is that "I'm going to do my best to win no matter what, but if I dont't end up placing well, then oh well. It was fun anyway.". If that makes any sense. So I try my best, but I always tell myself that I should not be surprised if I don't place well. In that case; it was fun anyways! So who cares? I went, met cool people, improved a bunch, and I'll get even closer next time!

^Prolly doesn't make very much sense. Srry I'm tired and typing on a crappy iTouch. ;)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Maybe it's the fact that I'm older than most Smashers (22),
Honestly, I agree that age might have something to do with it. I'm too old to be getting hype over playing to win a video game....... I already make more than enough money for myself, so entering & placing wherever I place doesn't really phase me as long as I feel like I got enough fun and a challenge out of it.

Not saying I'm gonna go blow money on tons of mms I don't think I can win, but one tourney every 2-3 weeks isn't a waste for me. =X

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I think being an asian males makes me the type of person who will have the "fighter's spirit" for the rest of my life whether I am 21 or 81 years old. At least until i get grandkids.... you know, the way of a kung fu master ^_^.

SSBBWorm

Smash Cadet
I play to win but I have the annoying habit of feeling sorry for people I'm beating and then start sandbagging unintentionally anyone know
how to beat this problem?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero

<-- biopsych major

Yeah, but it's not an issue I can do anything about, lol. I've tried ignoring it, relaxation techniques, forcing them to stop, etc. etc. but you can't make yourself less nervous by telling yourself to not be. (Many people can't at least.)
Yes you can. Just be like.. being nervous is dumb!

Works for me.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I play to win but I have the annoying habit of feeling sorry for people I'm beating and then start sandbagging unintentionally anyone know
how to beat this problem?
Uh....I don't really know what to say but...stop caring? Beating people is good, and you should never sandbag...ever. People will actually feel bad if they can tell you are sandbagging since then "They aren't good enough for you to play serious against them." It is actually worse than 3 stocking them. Honestly, if it is a BAD loss for them, ask if they want pointers/you to point out what they did that you abused. That is the only thing I can really think of.

SSBBWorm

Smash Cadet
Good point good point people do seem to get even more bad if you are winning then sandbag so you don't 3 stock them. So just don't care win at all costs play hard from beginning to end.

Seraphiel

Smash Rookie
A year and a half later:

I think it is funny that KayLo and ESam are obviously arguing two sides of the same point.
KayLo obviously plays to win as evidenced by her automatic adrenaline response regardless of the opponent.
I am curious though, if using all of the tools available to you, ESam, is so important, why wouldn't you drop Pika for MK or a higher tier? unless you truly believe Pikachu is the best character in all situations.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Damn, this ***** must play a Gravekeeper's deck in Yugioh because you brought this **** back from the graveyard @_@

IMO Pika can deal with every character in the game rather well and shuts down a lot of characters that others don't. I also wouldn't play this game if it wasn't fun, the competition is fun. Also also, if I played a better and more popular character I would have to learn all 36 MUs with that character while people already know that 1 MU so I would be at more of a disadvantage.

Pikachu isn't the best character in all situations, but he can handle all of them.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
People have to pick the character that they are most comfortable playing. Comfortablity lets you play more effectively and make decisions you normally can't on other character. Course learning a new character is basically attempting to be comfortable with that character. Doesn't always work though which is why diversity exists.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
I F-ING love this thread. I hate when people (especially pro players) tell me play for fun not to win. Well fun for me is not loosing.

Top Bottom