• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Responsivly

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaoslink303

Smash Rookie
Ive recently come across some player(s) who play extremely responsively to all of my actions
utilizing characters like Falco, Marth (anything higher tier than Link). By responsive I mean they would counter any combo I set-up, and constant reflecting of projectiles. I barely manage to pull off wins (by one stock). I was wondering if there are any play styles that can overcome these tactics, I would think playing responsively to a responsive player would equal to a boring match but what do you think?

Ya catch?:dizzy:

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

whenever I play C.F or a Flaco, they ALWAYS put their shield up and bounce my projectiles back at me. and whenever I try to start a shffl they somehow start their own combo right in the middle of it.

I don't know how you can stop this reallly, but I do know that if you try new stradegies (instead of shffl'ing, try staying grounded and sticking to your Fsmashes) it sometimes works.

Metà

Smash Master
Yes, camping works wonders against these kinds of players. Let them come to you, don't go to them. Also, try to be unpredictable. Often times, it's not that they're overly responsive, but they're just really good at reading your moves.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Use your projectiles as a distraction if anything else. It might give you an opening to charge at them...

EazyP

Smash Ace
When they're coming for you and not at a high percent, you want to do short hops backwards, and while you're going back you throw your boomerang. Now if they block that with shield or get hit by it, then you usually have enough time to pull out a bomb and throw it. You want to teach them to block and block often

Then from there you can get your grab combos in, which will usually knock them very far at the higher percents (especially grab -> throw -> dair/grab -> throw -> upb). Use SHFFL'ed nairs a lot as they'll be jumping into you or running into you, which will stop them from doing that pretty quickly

Basically, Link is able to put pressure on your opponent from a long distance, at a constant rate. Use your mindgames, wavedash backwards when they want to smash or grab and counter grab for that big combo. Another thing I like to do for mindgames is I just throw out a random dair and L cancel it. People will normally run up to me waiting to punish, but I'll just throw out a up-b and slap them out the stage

Just work on reading your opponents, find out how they work

Deva

Smash Lord
projectiles+better combos is what it seems you need. By better combos, I mean ones you're opponents won't be countering. Grab combos work well with Link. At low percents, practice grabbing after a shffl. Then if they're a fast faller, try u-throw into u-tilts, d-smashes, and dash attacks. Finish off the combo with a d-air or a spin attack depending on where they are above you.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Really good posts so far and a good question.

But as many said, just camp..and most players are really stage dependent to keep in control of everything...people who only play on final D usually have massive trouble on uneven stage for example.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I Know what you mean.. past few days i have played people wayyyyy better than me.. and i only beat him once this week.. I won by projectile spamming. Now when i face him i spam my bombs and i somehow get an open attack and when i spam i get a better reslut of the match without spamming. Anyways thats true that projectiles is better than Combos Projectiles >*****> Combos

pdk

Smash Lord
you've got a long grab; toss some spot dodging in there and put it to use

ancientevil11

Smash Apprentice
always spam. camp and spam. when they get near you, use mixups of jabs and Fairs. don't grab TOO much. Link's grabs should obviously be used with caution as you will get punished if you miss.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
Don't make the mistake of relying on your up b to KO at high percents...lol (like i do).
If you are playing a good player, they will avoid it most of the time and will punish you badly at a key point in the game. that key point being killing the enemy at high percent rather than allowing him to get more percent on you...lol its kind of hard to explain right now so i hope you get me.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
And whatever people may tell you, you can't become suddently better than them. Practice and look at your mistakes, take advantage of their mistakes. That's how you really become better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom