• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing melee and brawl in the same day won't screw you up!

Smythe

Smash Rookie
I agree. It's kind of crazy, really. Playing Melee first is a real boon to Brawl playing. It's kind of like how (WARNING: DRAGON BALL Z REFERENCE) Goku wears weighted clothing; so when he takes it off he's super fast and such. Playing Melee first is like the weighted clothing; it's so much faster it gets your brain working in overdrive, so Brawl is like a walk in the park.

However, after playing Brawl for a long time then switching to Melee isn't a great idea. Unless you take a few hours between games, Melee is so lightning fast it's hard to comprehend.

otg

Smash Master
I agree. It's kind of crazy, really. Playing Melee first is a real boon to Brawl playing. It's kind of like how (WARNING: DRAGON BALL Z REFERENCE) Goku wears weighted clothing; so when he takes it off he's super fast and such. Playing Melee first is like the weighted clothing; it's so much faster it gets your brain working in overdrive, so Brawl is like a walk in the park.

However, after playing Brawl for a long time then switching to Melee isn't a great idea. Unless you take a few hours between games, Melee is so lightning fast it's hard to comprehend.
Don't you have this backwards? I feel playing Brawl before Melee makes my Melee game faster, more intelligent and with better spacing. I actually tend to prefer it this way now.

Corigames

Smash Hero
No.

I enjoy having my timing, spacing, and aim all in full function. the only way to learn to swim is to get in the water. You don't practice in jello to learn the real ting.

ADHD

Smash Hero
No.

I enjoy having my timing, spacing, and aim all in full function. the only way to learn to swim is to get in the water. You don't practice in jello to learn the real ting.
It's not like your brain just forgets the spacing going playing both the same amount of time in the same day... Once you get used to both, your brain memorizes the spacing for each individual smash bros game. Plus you learn to appreciate brawl a bit more as a fun party game (in which it is).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not like your brain just forgets the spacing going playing both the same amount of time in the same day... Once you get used to both, your brain memorizes the spacing for each individual smash bros game. Plus you learn to appreciate brawl a bit more as a fun party game (in which it is).
Spacing, timing and pretty much everything else differs greatly between the two games, even if you play the same character in both. Playing one game and then switching to another will make you mess things up.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I tried playing Melee just for lulz the other day. I kept trying to do jab combos on the level 9 computers. And we all know what that ends up like.

I really prefer brawl. Combos are nice and all, but I can do without them in favour of the more defense-oriented jabby jabby drill kick goodness.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Spacing, timing and pretty much everything else differs greatly between the two games, even if you play the same character in both. Playing one game and then switching to another will make you mess things up.
mhm, It does mess up timing. But after a while (like, 20 minutes?) it back to what you're used to for the most part.

Muad'Dib

Smash Rookie
I think the difference between grabs gives me the biggest head ache. Jump cancel versus shield cancel gets me every time.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Most of us played Melee for seven years.
Brawl? Like only a bit over a month.

Honestly, it's surprising that the mindset you had in Melee was even affected after playing a bit of Brawl. O_o

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Most of us played Melee for seven years.
Brawl? Like only a bit over a month.

Honestly, it's surprising that the mindset you had in Melee was even affected after playing a bit of Brawl. O_o
I stopped playing Melee for about a year once I heard Brawl was nearing release. That way, I wouldn't be relying on old tricks that wouldn't work in the new game.

So of course my Melee mindset has been effected, since I purposefully forgot about it in order to make way for Brawl. XD

Top Bottom