• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing like a coward?

I main Little Mac and it seems that all people seem to do is camp the edge, wait for me to goof, and just throw my ass over the side and prevent me from getting back even though the fight just started. Yes I stop their bitchery from time to time and force them to fight like a man, but it's still annoying that people even attempt that right off the bat. And yes, I am aware of the whole "oh, well he's so scurry and strong" bull**** people say to justify their cowardice. Yes, he is a strong character and those invincibility frames are cray to the cray, but I just feel that when people just camp the edge and wait/spam projectiles then they might as well rip their **** off and throw that at me too. Does anyone else feel this way? I'll just be sitting here motorboating my own clown hole. God bless.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
And yes, I am aware of the whole "oh, well he's so scurry and strong" bull**** people say to justify their cowardice.
Exploiting your opponent's weaknesses (in this case, Little Mac's lackluster recovery) is not cowardice.

Exploiting your opponent's weaknesses (in this case, Little Mac's lackluster recovery) is not cowardice.
Yes, and no. The WAY you exploit Little Mac's weaknesses just seems cowardly. Smart? Yeah, but you can't not be someone on the outside looking in who just thinks that edge guarding player is being a wiener.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
"Waaaah, my opponents aren't playing the way that gives me the advantage and I'm too much of a garbage player to learn how to adapt". Get good mate. You're probably like the hundreds of other For Glory garbage Little Macs, because that is so damn easy to do, wait by the ledge, throw you off. Up tilt spike, cause you idiots seem to think your sprint attack is invincible, yet a simple shield gets you killed, cause you cant apparently grab or bait your opponent, its not cowardice, is using your weakness against you.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Yes, and no. The WAY you exploit Little Mac's weaknesses just seems cowardly. Smart? Yeah, but you can't not be someone on the outside looking in who just thinks that edge guarding player is being a wiener.
lol how old are you? after that last line i get the feeling 13 or younger....

anyhow, hate to burst your bubble but its not cowardly at all. Think about it; WHY should they put themselves into a situation that benefits their opponent, mac, more, when they can put themselves in one that would benefit themselves more? doing something that would put their opponent in a more advantaged position isn't being "brave/not a coward," its being idiotic.

you as the mac player, should be expecting this, you should be looking at ways to force em away from the edge and back on stage, instead of complaining that they're not putting you in your best position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I mean if you're remaining on the other side of the stage for them to come over to you, aren't you just as guilty of this cowardice play? They don't want to get punished either...And exploiting a weakness shouldn't be considered cowardice. Is it cowardly to combo Bowser because he's a heavier character and easier to combo? Is it cowardly to spike DK or Villager while their recovering since it's so easy to catch them? Is it cowardly to use a KO punch, something that kills earlier than most final smashes? You can't get mad at people for utilizing a strategy that works.

"Waaaah, my opponents aren't playing the way that gives me the advantage and I'm too much of a garbage player to learn how to adapt". Get good mate. You're probably like the hundreds of other For Glory garbage Little Macs, because that is so damn easy to do, wait by the ledge, throw you off. Up tilt spike, cause you idiots seem to think your sprint attack is invincible, yet a simple shield gets you killed, cause you cant apparently grab or bait your opponent, its not cowardice, is using your weakness against you.
Damn, dude. Calm down. Like I said, I CAN get around it. I'm just saying it's annoying that they do that right off the bat. Now go find that powder that used to be your stress ball.

D

Deleted member 269706

If you can get around it you wouldnt be crying here. Terrible players cry over stupid junk.
You are literally contributing nothing to this thread. He's asking a genuine question and you come in here telling him to get good. I don't agree with his point, but if you're going to post, please make it worth reading.

@OP Just ignore the posts like this, respond to the ones that actually bring up genuine arguments.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get around it you wouldnt be crying here. Terrible players cry over stupid junk.
Once again, your wrong. I created the thread to see if anyone else thought this way too. And like every person (yourself included) you may know how to defeat some strategy that someone is using. But sometimes mistakes will be made and you will fall victim to it. Even if my opinion isn't popular, I simply wanted to see.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Lol, the salt.

It's obvious you just shut your Wii U/3DS after dropping a few matches to someone who gimped you hard and decided to rage. The hypocrisy of you telling someone else to calm down is just hilarious. If you honestly can "get around it" as consistently as you imply, then you wouldn't be here whining about what you think is "cowardice." I don't mean that as a jab at your skill, but that you're in serious need of an attitude adjustment.

And no, no sane person here thinks like you. It would be like a spammer complaining about facing opponents who powershield perfectly.

All MUs revolve around exploitation of your opponent's weaknesses. Little Mac's weakness happens to more apparent than the rest of the cast, and most characters would rather end their Little Mac matches without challenging him directly on stage, where he remains extremely dangerous. Smash is all about forcing the opponent to play your game, so bait approaches. As a Zelda main, I know all about people trying to get me to approach them (since Zelda has nothing to force approaches and nothing to approach with).

Last edited:
You are literally contributing nothing to this thread. He's asking a genuine question and you come in here telling him to get good. I don't agree with his point, but if you're going to post, please make it worth reading.

@OP Just ignore the posts like this, respond to the ones that actually bring up genuine arguments.
Good advice, brotha.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
People play like a coward on smash4babies? I'll say. All I ever get is people who run away and aerial/special/projectile/roll spam.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
tbh im guilty of camping at the ledge and spamming lasers when its convenient.

If i really wanted to I could fight "normally" but honestly from personal experience I face Little macs 5/10 so I'm kind of getting bored?
If like how you mentioned, a little mac that was capable of dealing with it appeared I would change my way of approach.

I was going for humor, y'all. Not salty rage. I'm sorry if it comes off as the latter. I mean, I named myself motorboating my own ass for god's sake.

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
Lol, dude. The secret to defeating Little is to ledge camp. If people know the secret, that's what they're gonna do. It's not cowardice; it's Intelligence c:

Edit: Little Mac*

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
It's the most reasonable way to deal with Little Mac, I know personally after playing 3000 of them after the 3DS launch I got tired of them so any chance to make a match with Mac as fast as possible I take. If you just went for a grab instead of presumably a dash attack you would be fine.

I don't think its cowardly at all. Your opponent is making a read/prediction on your play style and being rewarded for. Should I complain that it's really easy to spike R.O.B. during his up b? No because it's something I need to calculate and adjust for while playing any opponent.

Every character has flaws and exploiting their flaws for kills is a huge part of this game there's nothing cowardly about it.

If you're really having that much trouble being tossed off stage all I can say is mix it up. If it works on you every time your opponent deserves to win, they're out playing you

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I main Little Mac and it seems that all people seem to do is camp the edge, wait for me to goof, and just throw my *** over the side and prevent me from getting back even though the fight just started. Yes I stop their *****ery from time to time and force them to fight like a man, but it's still annoying that people even attempt that right off the bat. And yes, I am aware of the whole "oh, well he's so scurry and strong" bull**** people say to justify their cowardice. Yes, he is a strong character and those invincibility frames are cray to the cray, but I just feel that when people just camp the edge and wait/spam projectiles then they might as well rip their **** off and throw that at me too. Does anyone else feel this way? I'll just be sitting here motorboating my own clown hole. God bless.
Learn to deal with people who camp at the ledge. They're limiting their own defensive and mobility options for the chance at an easy Bthrow -> gimp kill. Keep your cool, space safe moves like Ftilt, and wait for them to do something punishable.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Fighting a good Little Mac downright painful, literally and figuratively. He is a powerhouse with super armor and rude attack priority. He is also great at baiting whiffs and punishing accordingly. His one BIG, exploitable weakness is his recovery. If you are playing to win, gimping is your best and quickest option at beating Mac. Projectile users are obviously going to use their tools to win just as you use yours to win. No cowardice involved.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to For Glory, people play the run-away game against every character.

You can approach pretty much any character that doesn't have a tether grab at the ledge via ftilts.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
I support you on this, but only if they're trying to purposely stall the entire match just to do this. When they are doing nothing, but projectile spam and edge camping then it gets really annoying. Little mac is my 2nd main, but this weakness is wayyy too exploitable. When the match has to go till the timer runs out because the opponent is stubborn and repeats the same thing I feel as if it is an unnecessary battle. For glory should be about at least having fun, not tryhard or winning. There isn't even a leaderboards and they aren't gaining much except conquest points in some occasions, but it just pisses me off.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac is terrifying in the center of the stage. When I use DHD what do you expect me to do? I'm not going to put myself in a disadvantageous situation.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, in a nutshell, it's exploiting a legitimate weakness for the sake of performing well. For Glory is a brilliant stage for Little Mac, so for somebody like me that mains fighters with good ranged options and airgame like Pit and Palutena, that puts me at a tremendous disadvantage right off the bat. While I sympathise with your sentiment, your thesis statement needs revision. Exploiting your character's weakness is not cowardice, it's strategy, plain as the driven snow.

Quite simply, Little Mac has enough strengths by default, and the literally level playing field of Final Destination means his inherent weaknesses are mitigated by the topology of the battlefield. In lieu of being able to zone with arrows or make clever approaches from a safe vantage point, Pit has to fight on Mac's terms, not his own. The natural response is to resort to what seems like a cheap tactic in order to ensure Pit doesn't die right off the bat. Sorry if that seems like a tawdry and unsavoury thing to do, but it's the best way of performing well under those extraneous circumstances. If it were in any other stage, e.g. Battlefield or Smashville, the playing field would be more dynamic and more options would present themselves, so I wouldn't feel like I'm bottlenecked into performing one repetitious tactic in order to close the inherent gap between our characters' context-sensitive skillsets. You will have to catch me first.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This is likely the best post on this entire website

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I main Little Mac and it seems that all people seem to do is camp the edge, wait for me to goof, and just throw my *** over the side and prevent me from getting back even though the fight just started. Yes I stop their *****ery from time to time and force them to fight like a man, but it's still annoying that people even attempt that right off the bat. And yes, I am aware of the whole "oh, well he's so scurry and strong" bull**** people say to justify their cowardice. Yes, he is a strong character and those invincibility frames are cray to the cray, but I just feel that when people just camp the edge and wait/spam projectiles then they might as well rip their **** off and throw that at me too. Does anyone else feel this way? I'll just be sitting here motorboating my own clown hole. God bless.
It's a video game, there is no "cowardly" way to play it. You chose to main a character with very exploitable weaknesses that were put in place to counterbalance his amazing ground game. You'd have to be stupid to try and fight little mac on his terms. If you can't come up with a strategy to beat an opponent that keeps doing the same thing, that's just you playing terribly. Honeslty, If you're salty from losing on FG, wait a few hours before posting on smash boards so we don't get more of these trash posts.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
It's a video game, there is no "cowardly" way to play it. You chose to main a character with very exploitable weaknesses that were put in place to counterbalance his amazing ground game. You'd have to be stupid to try and fight little mac on his terms. If you can't come up with a strategy to beat an opponent that keeps doing the same thing, that's just you playing terribly. Honeslty, If you're salty from losing on FG, wait a few hours before posting on smash boards so we don't get more of these trash posts.
He's clearly "asking" why people do this, not whining that he can't get over it. He's just asking a legitimate question.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've had the same experience. Hell, my friends do that.

Its annoying, but it just gets me motivated to find a way around it. And its the most satisfying feeling EVER when Im able to beat their face in every time they try to just wait at the ledge to shield and throw me.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Yes, when I go on the ledge against a Little Mac, I am literally terrified, I'm that much of a coward, I'm wetting myself watching my TV screen and holding my GC controller.

In all seriousness, I'll attempt to go toe-to-toe against a Little Mac at first, but if I realise they're relying on side-b and dash attacks, I'll quickly resort to the ledge and go for the gimp. I have a very good Little Mac player in my group of players, most of the time I won't ledge camp because I know he's too good to be caught out like that, and if I see another player on For Glory is that good, I'll do the same. Here's the mindset of people on For Glory: Do the easiest thing that works, or do the most stylish thing that works, and since Little Mac doesn't allow for the second since he's far and beyond the best character on the ground, it'll almost always be the first one. I think it's a flaw in the character, Little Mac forces lame play, whether you like it or not.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It should be noted, that there IS a difference between people ledge-camping on Little Mac, and people on the edge because they're super pressured BY Mac.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Yeah you can. It is called being competitive. In SSBB I played a scrub who refused to CG me with D3 and I hated it. If you want to show me honour then do it by not holding back except in a few cases where something really is broken (I have not found something broken yet in Smash 4 FG 1v1).

I remember one time when I suicided on accident that some scrub jumped off the edge too. Then I won and taunted the **** out of that guy. That is what he gets for mocking me by SDing on purpose.

If I remember correctly this happened: I tried a high risk / high reward gimp , and I failed. I deserved to KO. If I had gimped him and survived then I would never have SD'ed so by allowing me to try this gimp for about free he gave me a high reward / low risk gimp instead of a high reward /high risk gimp on purpose and that is just disrespectful in a competition.

The point to take away from this is that some guys show respect by going all out, and sometimes that means edge camping. Embrace the fact that they are giving their best because not everyone is willing to give you their best in this game.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah you can. It is called being competitive. In SSBB I played a scrub who refused to CG me with D3 and I hated it. If you want to show me honour then do it by not holding back except in a few cases where something really is broken (I have not found something broken yet in Smash 4 FG 1v1).

I remember one time when I suicided on accident that some scrub jumped off the edge too. Then I won and taunted the **** out of that guy. That is what he gets for mocking me by SDing on purpose.
The issue here is quite clearly not your opponent in this case, it's your attitude. Most people do that because they want to play fair and prefer not to keep a stock lead if the opponent suicides by mistake.

If you're inferring everybody is your enemy, then you're the one who needs to adjust to their specifications and play fair. Being rude for the sake of being rude doesn't solve anything and just makes you seem like a poor sport and an unsavoury opponent.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The issue here is quite clearly not your opponent in this case, it's your attitude. Most people do that because they want to play fair and prefer not to keep a stock lead if the opponent suicides by mistake.

If you're inferring everybody is your enemy, then you're the one who needs to adjust to their specifications and play fair. Being rude for the sake of being rude doesn't solve anything and just makes you seem like a poor sport and an unsavoury opponent.
If you get your stock lead because the opponent messed up then you got it fair and square. No need to give it up. Do you also think that it is unfair to hit a LM who missed KO Punch? Just because he messed up a high risk / high reward tactic means that he does not deserve the punishment, right?

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
If you get your stock lead because the opponent messed up then you got it fair and square. No need to give it up. Do you also think that it is unfair to hit a LM who missed KO Punch? Just because he messed up a high risk / high reward tactic means that he does not deserve the punishment, right?
So? I get what you're saying, its a valid point. In tournament I take a lead where I can get it, I sure as hell dont want to win that way when someone SD's, but you took a super low road and acted like a scumbag when the guy SD'd out of fairness cause he didnt want to win that way. The fact you talked **** to him and viewed his obviously good intentions it as a mockery just insinuates that you're a super toxic and rude player.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
So? I get what you're saying, its a valid point. In tournament I take a lead where I can get it, I sure as hell dont want to win that way when someone SD's, but you took a super low road and acted like a scumbag when the guy SD'd out of fairness cause he didnt want to win that way. The fact you talked **** to him and viewed his obviously good intentions it as a mockery just insinuates that you're a super toxic and rude player.

He did not SD out of fairness. His SD made the game unfair, in my favor. And since I like fairness I do not want an unfair advantage.
I lost my stock because I messed up a risky gimp trying to take his stock, it was not due to lag or something it was a risk I took to take his stock. I deserved the KO.

Again if LM misses KO Punch and you can take his stock for it, would you not do it out of "fairness"? He just messed up trying a high risk / high reward strategy, just like I did. No need to punish, right?

Besides that I personally prefer to play a good taunter who owns me then a nontaunting noob. Taunting is not that bad it is just funny. If you get angry at taunters then you need to lighten up and just laugh at them. They are just trolls making the game more fun.

Also how do I talk **** to them on the 3DS?

Last edited:
Top Bottom