• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing against newb trouble

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
Before i start this post off, I am going to say that I am sorry if there is already a thread such as this one. I would have searched for this type of thread, yet my computer is acting weird and the little error triangle thing pops up whenever i click the button to get to the search page

....Anyways, on to the main topic. I am not pro, i am no germ/isai/azen/pc/ken (sorry to anyone i have left out), but i am decent. I can effectively use advanced techniques, and i am progressing quite well with shffling. However, in my group of friends that play smash, there are some newbys, and i sometimes have troulbe with them. I believe it is because they throw me off my rhytm of normal play by not executing any of the moves that someone with skill might. This may sound weird, but it just plain throws my game off

So my questions are: Is this only a problem that I am currently facing? And, if not, how should i deal with it, because it is embarrasing sometimes to go down to one stock, or lose a match against these guys (rarely happens, but still does)

Thank you

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If you're playing for fun it shouldn't matter. But if you're playing seriously then you have a problem. Try to figure out their patterns on the first stock, just throw out a few attacks/comboes to see what they do [dodge, get hit, etc.] and when you're ready attack them with the moves/comboes that work against them.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
thanks, i will try to look for that

in my group it isn't really serious, but it kind of for respect if you will, which i guess can get serious at times

Giggidax

Smash Ace
it seems like ur trying to just own ur opponent without thinking and underestimating them. u have to play by reaction and lure them to make openings. the reason ur being thrown off is because uve never played anyone with that certain style.

my advice for noobs is be more defensive i guess..

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
thanks i will also try for that as well,

(sheepish look) i guess i get an ego when i play them, becuase when i look back at those matches, i either played sloppy and assumed they couldn't take advantage of my mistakes, or just assumed it was luck when they pulled something off

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
I'm still fairly noob-ish. I'm one of the best non-hugely-advanced people I know. I don't L-Cancel consistantly, I wavedash only once if necessary to dodge, and sometimes to edgehog. I don't tech because I haven't bothered practicing it. And I throw people off so often. XD
You're not alone. ^_^

K4M1K4Z3

Smash Cadet
shine there faces off, lol. no but listen to what red exodus said, look for patterns, then destroy them with you shffling

Duff-Man!

Smash Rookie
You're probably thinking too hard about what you're doing. They're thinking about winning and knocking you off the stage while you're probably thinking about pulling off techniques. If they aren't good enough that you have to run circles around them to win, then don't. Just hit them.

pdk

Smash Lord
how should i deal with it?
your topic didn't say anything that wasn't already said in the subject; come back to us with some significant details (i.e. characters/game settings/stages used, how the matches tend to in a play-by-play breakdown, etc)

tshahi10

Smash Ace
people at that level usually play with lots of habbits that you can punish.

they generally tech and roll in the same direction

they generally only have 1 way of recovering

and they generally only know how to approach with smash or dash attacks.

however there are spontaneus jerks who randimly say"oh yeah, i can use this move"

Miharu

Smash Hero
I either play hyper-technical, and just combo the **** out of them without even bothering to think how they're going to react, or I just slow down my game completely, and analyze their every mistake.

Just don't think too hard.

Aiko

Smash Champion
alot of people have problems dealing with n00bs and weaker players. and as duff-man rightly said, youre probably thinking too hard. you can't out think somebody who doesnt think (or doesnt think much). Just go for basic techniques and once you find something that hits, abuse it. wavesmashes work wonders on noobs when they try to smash attack (wavedash back and forward smash).

Smash Journeyman
go marth or falco noobs ususally never know what to do against a good marth or falco.
or if your trying to impress them or look good get very technical and flashy while avoiding
their smash attacks.

i love beating noobs who think they are even remotely good as me, and mm are a plus too.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
all right, i have been reading some of the comments and they hav very valid points (i.e. thinking too hard).

My situation is i use Falco(main), Sheik(learning), and Doc Mario(learning) (these three mainly). With Falco, I can shl near perfect, can't waveshine that well, but can wavedash in general. I can somewhat pillar, but sometimes have trouble and don't L-cancle the dair. That's my falco.

The other day, or rather the match that brought this idea into light, was when i was playing against one of my friends samus. Now this kid is a newb, and i mean like newb in the most possible way. The main two moves he does, is down smash, and the charge up shot... Yet somehow i found myself getting hit off the stage a lot. Now, I know i am not that great, but in technical skill I am **** better than him, but I was still managing to get down to one stock against this kid, and even sometimes lose (as i said, rarely happens, but still does)

Now i know this will make me look newbish, but really it is weird. Any thoughts?

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
it doesnt mean your better than him, finally someone admits that their not that good when they are losing to a n00b. Your a good man. your falling into simple traps lol.

Aiko

Smash Champion
well if you can shl perfectly, then just do that. IF you say the majority of his moves are downsmash and full charge shot, then there are 2 ways to get round them.

for the charge shot, use the shine to reflect it, advanced play may use it for comboing more, but lets not forget its original use :D

down smash can be shield grabbed or wave smashed.

personally i would just abuse SHL until he figures how to get around them.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
All right, thanks guys (and gals?), for the helpful advice. I will try to keep in mind in my upcoming friendlies in my group what I have read in the comments. And yes, I will try not to develop an ego against the newer kids to the game

psicicle

Smash Ace
How long have you played without advanced stuff? It sounds like you don't use your shield enough or airdodge since you get hit by charge beam shots. If that is really all he/she does, then full jump arials when approaching.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
i used to have this problem. i play with falco so i can just overwhelm them with crazy tech skill. just read because you not that technical yet i assume. abuse things that they are susceptible to. ull find out those things during the 1st stock if your even halfway decent at reading people

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
@ psicicle: it is true, I am relatively new to advanced techniques (only a month or so, but then again, i don't know if that new). This only occured once (the match with the samus player). As i said before, i can use some of the advanced techniques effectively (shl, wavedash, sheild grab [is that technical?], L cancle [majority of the time], and others). I presume that through my typing, I depicted myself as new to advanced techniques through what I described (even though I stated I could use some effectively).

I guess in the end, my loss during that match was due to me being off my game, cockiness, lack of skill, or a combination of those.

gcboy

Smash Cadet
hehe. dont try too many advanced techniques and, as everyone else has said, dumb yourself down. use the "reflector" to reflect stuff and just camp SHL hehe. if the guy you're playing is that much of a newb, he wont be able to get close to you. and if he does, use your shine.

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
Same thing happened to me, This n00by Fox would just use Up smash, I main Falco and we were playing on FD, and Fox is probably my best match-up. He got me down to one stock over 70% somehow. I picked Ice Climbers after that, and he got me to 32%. Pick Ice Climbers and Wobble them to 150%, then press down or forward on the C-Stick. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
I feel you, i can understand how the patterns can just be awkward, but it makes it easier to get it into combos because they most likely suck ay using the DI

Mr.Mixshow

Smash Rookie
i used to have the porblem but wat i do is stand back and wait till they do something dumb and make pay 4 it and think like a noob and play off that

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Common issue. Like all of the above said.

~Use their inexperience against them and combo them.
~Stand back and find a pattern or favorited move and fight thru it.

TrageÐy ®

Smash Cadet
Before i start this post off, I am going to say that I am sorry if there is already a thread such as this one. I would have searched for this type of thread, yet my computer is acting weird and the little error triangle thing pops up whenever i click the button to get to the search page

....Anyways, on to the main topic. I am not pro, i am no germ/isai/azen/pc/ken (sorry to anyone i have left out), but i am decent. I can effectively use advanced techniques, and i am progressing quite well with shffling. However, in my group of friends that play smash, there are some newbys, and i sometimes have troulbe with them. I believe it is because they throw me off my rhytm of normal play by not executing any of the moves that someone with skill might. This may sound weird, but it just plain throws my game off

So my questions are: Is this only a problem that I am currently facing? And, if not, how should i deal with it, because it is embarrasing sometimes to go down to one stock, or lose a match against these guys (rarely happens, but still does)

Thank you
This isn't just you. This happens all over the world, in competitive sports or competitive games. You just adapt, and when you adapt versus a noob, you kinda become a noob too. The thing here is, keeping your wits about you and trying to dish out some cool combos. Just remember that you're better then the person who you are playing, and play against him not anticipating his moves, rather using yours to force him into bad situations.

predatorxii

Smash Rookie
I'm still fairly noob-ish. I'm one of the best non-hugely-advanced people I know. I don't L-Cancel consistantly, I wavedash only once if necessary to dodge, and sometimes to edgehog. I don't tech because I haven't bothered practicing it. And I throw people off so often. XD
You're not alone. ^_^
...... You also main Shiek :laugh:

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
You can't play with mindgames against someone who has no mindgames because they catch you off guard with randomness.

- Hugs

Edit: Something along those lines.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

Thank you
Hey listen, it's prefectly understandable that newbs with Smash potential catch you off guard. I'm pretty sure if you over whelm them with your best character, and dazzle them with super advanced techinques that the noob will eventually be brought down. Remember, don't take any opponent for a joke, and show no mercy (expecially in tourneys), or it will come back to bite you in the behind.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
people at that level usually play with lots of habbits that you can punish.

they generally tech and roll in the same direction

they generally only have 1 way of recovering

and they generally only know how to approach with smash or dash attacks.
Someone likes the word generally. xD

When you say "they", it makes it seem that you're referring to newbs as like..a group of fools. All newbs don't just know "one way" to do this and that. They have minds too, their lack of experience just differ the way, order and speed they do things. Not flaming, just kinda informing. ^^

Top Bottom