• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players and Characters

Battlecow

Play to Win
OK so we never had one before but there used to be a ton of threads loosely based around this idea and discussion in them and so forth (SK will prolly come forth with the exact knowledge) but apparently some of the Japanese players (including one who speaks English which might be an unprecedentedly good connection to the (J) scene) have a list of player-character rankings and want to see ours. Might as well make one for 'em, it's a discussion that doesn't go anywhere but we should be able to come up with something reasonable if we're inclusive about it (I.e. we don't need absolute ranks we can just throw names in there). Needless to say, our tourney format means that it's harder to pin down "mains" and that some chars will be hard to limit to a few names/a few names will crop up a lot, so it won't mean as much as the list they provide us.

I'll start: Isai's almost certainly the best in NA with every character although we've never really seen that proved extensively with, say, Ness. I think we can probably mostly agree on that, but that oughtta be like a caveat at the beginning of the list before we discuss mains proper.

The good yoshis are sheer, SK, Tacos, and Wizzrobe (controversial cuz it's one-tourney data for Wizzy and one-plus-online-rep for tacos but OH WELL we have to suck it up IMO)

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
There was discussion about this in some kind of 12-character crew battle thread a while ago. Might not have been purely Americans, though.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I support this thread since the Japanese community is curious. Guess I'll just start off with the really obvious ones:

Falcon: Superboomfan
Pikachu: Isai
Fox: Isai
Ness: Firo?

Lol it gets hazy after that. There aren't really any CLEAR winners here if you exclude Isai and boom since they're good with everyone. Can we include people like Bane who've never played in a console tourney?

I dunno. If you just put Isai/Boom for every character it's pretty accurate. Pretty lame though. I mean we wouldn't wanna see a Japanese list with just Jousuke for every char.

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Maybe everyone should just make a top 5 based on their personal opinion and try to rank it like that.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
just put isai and boom under god tier aka exclude them

ill try listing a few names I guess

Mario: Nintendude, Fireblaster , Ceasar
Luigi: Near
Donkey Kong: Mr. Bushido (Canada), Justin Wong :dk64:
Link:
Samus: JAIME (Mexico), ROB AKA COBRE
Captain Falcon: Mariguas (Mexico), RIP M3gav01t
Ness: Firo, WeedWack
Yoshi: SheerMadness, Wizzrobe, Tacos, Star King
Kirby: Killer, Revan (Canada?)
Fox: Han Solo (lol)
Pikachu: Dexter (Mexico), Kefit
Jigglypuff: YBOMBB (Canada)

I won't include people who haven't showed up to any offline events. Obviously missing people, just listed some obvious ones/people who placed well at Apex. Also don't know where to put people like CLUBBA and SENSEI.

EDIT: ADDED WEEDWACK FOR NESS, NEAR FOR LUIGI?

Last edited:

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
I tried to include peru. Isai said on any given day Gerson could win more games against him than vice versa, so I have the following as Isai probably not the best:

Pika - Gerson
Falcon - Boom, Tavo
Ness - Firo
Samus - Bane, JamieHR
DK - Stratdon

• Luigi
    1. Isai
    2. Boom
  • Mario
    1. Isai
    2. Boom
    3. Nintendude
  • D.Kong
    1. Stratdon
    2. Isai
    3. Boom
    4. I LOVE SMASH
  • Link
    1. Isai
    2. No one else
    3. Well maybe Sensei
  • Samus
    1. JamieHR
    2. Bane
    3. Isai
    4. Niil
  • CF
    1. Boom
    2. Tavo
    3. Mariguas
  • Ness
    1. Firo
    2. CPU lvl 9
  • Yoshi
    1. Isai
    2. Star Kink
    3. Wissy
  • Kirby
    1. Isai
    2. Orlando
    3. Boom
  • Fox
    1. Isai
    2. Boom
    3. Bane
    4. Alvin
  • Pika
    1. Gerson
    2. Isai
    3. Another Peruvian
  • Pudding
    1. Isai
    2. Boom
    3. other canada guy

Last edited:

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I would make a list but I have never played anyone on console yet, so it would be purely from online experience.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Isai's falcon is way way better than tavo's or boom's

Isai's pika is better than gerson's as of the only data we have, isai is just being himself with the gerson-better stuff (I mean, Gerson may well be better and I might even put money on it if you gave me 55:45 but it's ridiculous to assert it like we could possibly know when the only evidence is to the contrary).

Isai's samus is demonstrably better than Jaime's, there are samus dittos up and stuff.

Firo doesn't really main ness and isai's ness is better anyways (based on like him dominating frogles which is sketchy but eh)

I think excluding him makes the list way way better

We absolutely should not include peru in our list, we know less about their scene than we do about japan's for christ's sake. It would be weird to assume we knew where they stood based on one encounter from a long ass time ago and vids. It isn't Japan and the rest of the world, it's several scenes with differing levels of independence from one another, three of which (Japan Peru NA) are larger and more accomplished than the others (brazil chile europe australia etc).

Jeez no one mains anyone in this community.

Kefit for best pika MAIN

Killer for best kirby MAIN

There are multiple people above or equal to them with both chars but they're all multimains

Last edited:

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Make a note in the beginning about Isai and boom dominating every character
Don't mention anyone more than three times
Keep SA out of it

Pika- kefit, sensei, dexter, mariguas, kero, a$, battlecow
Fox- Jaime, sensei, firo, sheermadness, Han Solo, ballin, dexter
Kirby- killer, sk, mariguas, tacos, revan
Falcon- Boom, Jaime, mariguas, tacos, stranded, ballin
Yoshi- sheermadness, tacos, wizzrobe, sk, komo
Mario- nintendude, fireblaster, ceaser
Puff- ybombb
Dk- ...?
Ness- firo, A$, weedwack, sheermadness, ballin
Luigi- near
Link- A$, sensei
Samson- Jaime, cobr

This should be a decent place to start. There are a lot of great online only players I omitted.

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
You guys should just think of it like a draft. You can only pick a person once and you have to fill in all 12 characters.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Well the end goal here is to be informative. I don't think restricting each player to one character would yield an accurate representation of our scene.

It's not like the idea of playing multiple characters is unfathomable to the Japanese.

The Star King

Smash Hero
w0w no1 picked me as their favourite dankey kang?
Yeah, I was gonna say you're the best non-Isai non-Boom DK I've played

but I didn't wanna participate in the thread lol

I have pride in my DK myself (better than Z's :troll:)

ok, I'll respond to something

Make a note in the beginning about Isai and boom dominating every character
Don't mention anyone more than three times
Keep SA out of it

Pika- kefit, sensei, dexter, mariguas, kero, a$, battlecow
Fox- Jaime, sensei, firo, sheermadness, Han Solo, ballin, dexter
Kirby- killer, sk, mariguas, tacos, revan
Falcon- Boom, Jaime, mariguas, tacos, stranded, ballin
Yoshi- sheermadness, tacos, wizzrobe, sk, komo
Mario- nintendude, fireblaster, ceaser
Puff- ybombb
Dk- ...?
Ness- firo, A$, weedwack, sheermadness, ballin
Luigi- near
Link- A$, sensei
Samson- Jaime, cobr

This should be a decent place to start. There are a lot of great online only players I omitted.
I find it funny to see myself under Kirby when I think it's pretty meh and think my DK, Ness, Link, Jigglypuff, Fox, Falcon at least are all more developed (if not more characters).

But that just goes to show how people don't know enough about characters people use outside of tournament. Especially if you don't play a certain person often in friendlies.

This isn't like other games where almost everyone plays one or two characters almost exclusively. So a lot of the better players overall, are also amongst the better players for a lot of characters.

I mean, like, maybe Bane's DK is godly or something. Do many people really know? I sure don't. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, I was gonna say you're the best non-Isai non-Boom DK I've played

but I didn't wanna participate in the thread lol

I have pride in my DK myself (better than Z's :troll:)

ok, I'll respond to something

I find it funny to see myself under Kirby when I think it's pretty meh and think my DK, Ness, Link, Jigglypuff, Fox, Falcon at least are all more developed (if not more characters).

But that just goes to show how people don't know enough about characters people use outside of tournament. Especially if you don't play a certain person often in friendlies.

This isn't like other games where almost everyone plays one or two characters almost exclusively. So a lot of the better players overall, are also amongst the better players for a lot of characters.

I mean, like, maybe Bane's DK is godly or something. Do many people really know? I sure don't. But I wouldn't be surprised.
Yeah I mean I agree and there's a reason we haven't had threads like this for a while

but the Japanese dudes asked it seems polite to give them something

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
USA excluding Isai and online jobens.

Falcon- Koroshiyo Stranded
Pika- Koroshiyo KeroKeroppi
Kirby- Koroshiyo KeroKeroppi
Fox- Sensei
Yoshi- SheerMadness
Mario- Koroshiyo Ceasar
Puff- Sensei
DK- Koroshiyo KeroKeroppi
Samus- Cobrevolution
Luigi- Koroshiyo Ceasar
Link- Dmoogle
Ness- Firo

Man you guys suck. The Koroshiyo taking up half the spots... How embarrassing.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
my list of candidates based on people ive played online without isai or boom:

Falcon- zenyore, jaime, bane
Pika- Dext3r, star king, A$, bane, sensei, kefit (even tho i haven't played him online)
Kirby- MATTS!, killer, A$
Fox- LD, AFT, zenyore, sensei, jaimehr, bane
Yoshi- SheerMadnes, star king, tacos, wizzrobe (even tho i haven't played him online)
Mario- nintendude, jaime, fireblaster
Puff- ybombb, star king
DK- zenyore, frogles, wotg, tacos, ybombb
Samus- jaime, kabal, cobr
Luigi- bane, frogles, near, wotg
Link- A$, DaBomb, bane
Ness- peek, firo, frogles

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
Pika- Koroshiyo KeroKeroppi
Kirby- Koroshiyo KeroKeroppi
I'm pretty sure this list is for top 8 contenders, Kero.
I was originally going to post something along the lines of "wow, USA's best Pikachu AND Kirby didn't even make top 8 at Apex," but then I figured "nah, that joke's probably getting old. Nobody else is going to do that."

Looks like I was wrong (first time for everything).

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Excluding peru because I just don't know enough, though gerson, alvin, tavo, orlando, marca should all be on the list for sure.

Isai/boom on the list for every character, in almost every case 1 and 2. Someone could probably beat out boom's yoshi for #2.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I lost to England (?) and Mexico at Apex. Everybody knows that there's not a single non-isai player in the USA that could take a set off my pikakirby dynamic duo.

Man when are you guys gonna realize that I'm the second best player in the states? smh.

It's too bad that my Pika and Kirby are benched right now. Maybe I'll revive them for Apex 2015 so that I can get TOP EIGHT easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Or maybe I'll just pwn you all with the new character(s) I've been working on. IDK.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Everyone needs to get better so this isn't so hard without putting isai for first in every character!!

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
this was actually all a muse, I just wanted to demonstrate how hard battlecow sucks isai's ****

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah dude you're right. Boom's falcon is better than Isai's. So's Firo's ness. I'm such a rider. Just like when I implied that kikoushi wouldn't beat the pikachu. So biased.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Karajan showed the list to the Japanese players

Karajan showed the Japanese players the list

The list was shown to the Japanese players by Karajan

The Japanese players were shown the list by Karajan

i do not believe you need 'to' in your sentence

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Tell them I'm the best Yoshi and I learned everything from Prince and Sossi.

Even if you don't think I'm the best tell them that anyway. I was learning Yoshi from Sossi before any of these other noob ass Yoshi's even played 64.

=]

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Excluding Isai, Boom, Bane

:pikachu64:
Sensei
Kefit
Nintendude
Kero

:kirby64:
Killer
Mew2king