• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Tripping into Follow ups

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure most of you have played a match on battlefield where you have tripped your opponent on the platform above you by throwing a banana up, making them fall onto the ground where they accidentally miss the tech, right?

At low percents (preferably around 5-25% assuming you hit them with the banana), you can use their missed tech (if they missed it) and follow up with a side tilt. Since side tilt has the same properties as a jab lock at a low percent, it will force them to get up, vulnerable to any attack that you have. On some characters, you can side tilt twice quickly, while it will only work once on others. A side tilt at too high of a percent will deal too much knockback, getting rid of the jab lock properties.

NEEDS TESTING: There is a certain timing to diddy's jab that he can jab lock characters. Most of the time it will just hit the opponent, doing nothing. On very rare occasions, diddy's jab can jab lock, making them stand up with no options. If someone can find the frames where diddy's jab can jab lock, this could be a very useful strategy that can help advance diddy's metagame.

I haven't seen anyone bring this up, so I thought that I might as well so that more people can experiment with this.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I'm sure most of you have played a match on battlefield where you have tripped your opponent on the platform above you by throwing a banana up, making them fall onto the ground where they accidentally miss the tech, right?

At low percents (preferably around 5-25% assuming you hit them with the banana), you can use their missed tech (if they missed it) and follow up with a side tilt. Since side tilt has the same properties as a jab lock at a low percent, it will force them to get up, vulnerable to any attack that you have. On some characters, you can side tilt twice quickly, while it will only work once on others. A side tilt at too high of a percent will deal too much knockback, getting rid of the jab lock properties.

NEEDS TESTING: There is a certain timing to diddy's jab that he can jab lock characters. Most of the time it will just hit the opponent, doing nothing. On very rare occasions, diddy's jab can jab lock, making them stand up with no options. If someone can find the frames where diddy's jab can jab lock, this could be a very usefal strategy that can help advance diddy's metagame.

I haven't seen anyone bring this up, so I thought that I might as well so that more people can experiment with this.
Maybe bandwagon people aren't a bad thing...Lol.

This is really interesting but I'm a little lost. In my head I picture Diddy throwing the banana up and then he's still under the platform? Would be have to jump onto the platform and then FTilt? 'Cause I don't think there is enough time to do so, and if we just FTilt under the platform I don't think aiming it up would be high enough would it?

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
First off, what do you mean by bandwagon people? lol

Imagine diddy UNDERNEATH a platform on battlefield. He throws a banana up at someone standing on the platform. That person then trips off the edge of the platform, and falls onto the ground. Now, imagine that they miss the tech. You can side tilt them, which will put them in the animation as if they've just gotten up after a jab lock. You can immediately follow up and attack them with a fsmash or grab or something.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Since ADHD beat M2K and Ally in one tournament, everyone despises the thought of having a flood of noobs trying to learn Diddy. It's not happening though and you are chill Felix.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Felix is a top diddy from Washington.

Fair, bair, and peanut gun lock as well i think.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Praxis told me Washington had no diddys.

O__O
We didn't. Felix started Brawl as a Pit main.

Felix switched to Diddy about a month before I met you at HOBO16, but he was in Western Washington 6 hours from me and I had never played him at the time, and kinda assumed mediocrity on his part.

Over the last 3-4 months he's gone from the bottom 14th-15th places to top five on WA PR and gotten really, really good. Several SoCal/NorCal players commented that he was as good as their Diddies when they came up for TourneyPlay. We've been switching out between 4th and 5th on PR.

Not coming over to hype up WA or anything, but Felix is good. He's just been on AiB and recently made a Smashboards account, so none of you have ever heard of him. :)

The LAST thing Felix is is a Bandwagon person. Rather, he's an AiB-Smashboards convert; that's why he seems to have come out of nowhere. xD

Hey Felix, a little tip:

ASSUMING MY MEMORY SERVES CORRECTLY, when you fall off the platform, it's like a footstool animation. i.e....you cannot tech. :3

Does Diddy have any locking moves? Falco's can set up into laser lock. It's a guarantee if the opponent shields on the ledge.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Actually, a trip from a platform CAN combo them into a footstool right as they slip off the edge, then you can ftilt them if it's below 25% to create the jab lock animation, then charge an fsmash..

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
^^^

That was my thoughts on this question, and wouldn't it just be easier to punish this if they don't tech? Even though I do understand why you would want to footstool since a footstool = automatic get up animation/untechable.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Oh well I didn't know that a trip off the platform sent you into a the footstool tumbling animation... I thought it was just a regular tumble animation, as in, you can tech it if you hit the ground.

As for what Praxis said, you're wrong. You CAN tech if you were to fall off a platform from shielding attacks. So its not an automatic laser lock.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Even if they do tech, naner lock >_>
The only downside is that they can techroll (which is to be expected after a tech) hindering us from single naner locking, but rolls never stopped anyone from naner locking the normal way, with two bananas :O

@Kaptainkong- That's exactly what I was thinking, then again, you have to knock them off of the platform and then grab a banana (not to mention space the naner so it doesn't trip them automatically upon landing on the ground).

I'm going to start trying to set this up on BF :D

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Also if you do ledge tripping you get a free dair with appropiate spacing. Good thread Felix. I was making a thread on this property too but my rhetoric was apparently terrible in the OP considering noone had a clue what i was talking about. Jab lock to single naner lock has worked for me before; not often but it has. Im glad ppl are looking into better follow up in these situations as they come around quite often for a Diddy.

Top Bottom