• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKMN Trainer: Official Character Discussion

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
My only problem is, why does the PKMN Trainer deserve the ability to play as 3 separate but good/great characters? Forcing the PMKN Trainer to switch on death make sense to the PKMN style and prevents him from using 3 very solid characters. Basically you chose PKMN Trainer for the diversity but sacrifice the ability to play as just one Pokemon. If we allow the trainer to not switch on death he becomes almost uncounterpickable.

Let's reinstate Wild Pokemon and make Trainer switch on death is my whole case.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yes i like that idea. u can pick pkmn trainer with access to all 3 but being forced to switch on death
or u can pick a wild pokemon (no trainer in the background) that doesnt switch on death and theres no downB.

Almas

Smash Lord
Independant Pokémon currently don't work for online. But perhaps using the true character modifier we canf ix that.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
we dont need this to be online compatible. or just have a online and offline codeset. we shouldnt let pkmn trainer online compatibility stop us from making the proper choices. were aiming for this to be the best competitive game, and online as it is is quite flaky

The Cape

Smash Master
I spoke to Gurukid the other day about the ability to swap in either direction or not at all upon death or pressing Down B. Initially he hated the idea, but then I began to explain that it forces the player to learn 120 matchups, play three characters well, and have a great strategy. This means that the player is forced to really know their character to succeed and PT may actually become a top tier character. Then we should remove the Indy pokes (as you can play them with PT without the autoswitch).

Think about the idea, I would like to have PK help me get the code up and running so we can at least test it, but would anyone really be angry if PT was the best character in the game? He is probably one of the most skillful to learn overall.

If we do this (and even if we dont) I still think Squirtle could use a bit less KBG on his uair and D throw.

Also, we could add a few more poke weaknesses:
Make Charizard also weak to Slash type
Squirtle to Electric
Ivysaur to Darkness

Neko suggests that this apply only to downB switches if possible and you dont autoswitch on death. Also a really good idea.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Or...leave them the way they are instead of relying on "maybes"... This game's gonna take forever to finish...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I like the idea of elemental weaknesses, but like GoG said, as it stands right now it just happens to work out to be a buff or nerf to the exact characters who don't need them. Giving Squirtle an electricity weakness could help, but ... poor Ivy ... there's so much fire in this game (not to mention, the fire effect you guys gave to Rest makes it kill Ivy absurdly low and makes Squirtle live longer to it than Bowser)

The Cape

Smash Master
Got some more ideas from Gurukid about PT in general. Gonna sum it up:

Stamina comes back; 3 mins instead of 2 (PT only)
Heal on switch option: When PT switches by his choice the pokemon heal a bit of damage (5 or 10%)

Just his thoughts that I thought were good. He also supports the Squirtle Uair change that Magus has for testing.

Also, remove elemental weaknesses.

Code:
[22:00] BerriosAlmighty: hey cape
[22:00] thecape77: Sup
[22:01] BerriosAlmighty: I've got a few changes in mind for PT.
[22:01] thecape77: Ok
[22:01] thecape77: Shoot
[22:01] BerriosAlmighty: I think Stamina should come back for PT's pokemon.
[22:02] thecape77: If we can seperate them
[22:02] thecape77: Which I am sure we can do once we get PSA working again
[22:02] BerriosAlmighty: However, enable a "heal on switch" mechanism.
[22:02] thecape77: But keep going
[22:03] BerriosAlmighty: The stamina time would be increased, however.  I'd say up it to 3 minutes from the default 2.
[22:03] BerriosAlmighty: Maybe slightly longer (I'd be more than happy to test for the proper time).
[22:04] thecape77: Yea
[22:04] thecape77: Once we get the codes to do all this we might be able to look into it
[22:04] thecape77: I will post this convo in the backroom
[22:04] BerriosAlmighty: The "heal-on-switch" mechanism would work like this: everytime trainer voluntarily switches out, percent would decrease a certain amount.
[22:05] BerriosAlmighty: And again, I'd be willing to test for the exact percentage reduced.
[22:05] BerriosAlmighty: I think it'd be a fair trade and (more importantly) add more depth and some strategy to Trainer.
[22:05] thecape77: I can see that
[22:05] thecape77: Cool idea
[22:06] thecape77: What about adding in "reverse PT" too
[22:06] thecape77: ?
[22:06] BerriosAlmighty: I was also thinking that.
[22:06] BerriosAlmighty: That may work.
[22:06] thecape77: Where you hold L or R and go in reverse PT mode
[22:06] BerriosAlmighty: I'd love to test that out as well.
[22:06] thecape77: That would be cool
[22:06] BerriosAlmighty: Yeah
[22:06] thecape77: And make him even more strategy based
[22:06] BerriosAlmighty: Exactly.
[22:06] BerriosAlmighty: A couple more things.
[22:07] BerriosAlmighty: A while ago we spoke about a nerf on Squirtle's uair
[22:07] thecape77: Yea
[22:07] BerriosAlmighty: Reduced growth on it so it doesn't kill as early.
[22:07] thecape77: We have a test fix in the works
[22:07] BerriosAlmighty: Cool.
[22:07] BerriosAlmighty: Cuz yeah, that move is still rather silly. :-P
[22:08] thecape77: Got the stats on it
[22:08] thecape77: Let me bring em up
[22:08] BerriosAlmighty: k
[22:10] thecape77: I cant bring the link up
[22:10] thecape77: But I will have Magus send it to me and get you the numbers when I can
[22:11] BerriosAlmighty: alright
[22:11] BerriosAlmighty: Lastly, Ivy.
[22:11] thecape77: I have a physics change for her in the works
[22:11] BerriosAlmighty: Maybe it's just me, but within the last couple nightlies it seems like Bullet Seed got worse and worse.
[22:11] thecape77: She plays exactly the same, but she peaks her jumps a bit faster
[22:11] thecape77: Bullet seed hasnt been changed as far as I know
[22:12] thecape77: But once we get her working in PSA
[22:12] thecape77: We can look at the smash DIability of the move
[22:12] BerriosAlmighty: It's almost useless now.
[22:12] thecape77: and make it work a bit better
[22:12] BerriosAlmighty: yeah
[22:12] BerriosAlmighty: I think BS needs to work similarly to how it was in vbrawl.
[22:12] thecape77: Yea
[22:12] thecape77: Will look into it
[22:12] thecape77: But as for the physics
[22:12] BerriosAlmighty: To a lesser extent, but not as bad as it currently is.
[22:12] thecape77: I want your opinions on it when it comes out
[22:13] BerriosAlmighty: Sure.

Top Bottom