• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Only when he uses C4 to recover, which rarely ever happens.
I've been putting this technique to use in nearly every game against Snake (which is a lot) that I've played since the minute this technique was discovered. Actually, make that every game against Snake, and though it doesn't always result in a gimp it doesn't matter. It works often, it risks nothing, and it's easy. Even when it doesn't work who cares? Jump back on the stage and go back to playing normally, nothing changes. This is seriously the best find for Ness in a long time.

Here's your scenarios:
Snake is recovering from above the stage - don't do it, nothing new here.
Snake is recovering from below - go out to magnet gimp him, it now branches into 1 of 3 scenarios:
1 - he doesn't know what you're doing until it's too late and dies. (likely, at least until the first time it works)
2 - he DI's away from the stage to C4 himself again for better positioning, you still win out here because you forced additional damage on him; not every edgeguard needs to yield a kill to be profitable. (likely once he learns how the magnet gimp works)
3 - he DI's toward the stage and techs it, you either A) manage to gimp him before he reaches a techable spot, or B) jump back on the stage and nothing happens. (likely if his name is Ally)

There's one very very important detail that all 3 of those scenarios share: no risk. No matter what happens, if you do this at a time when it isn't stupid to do so (such as when Snake isn't low enough to need C4) you will never be punished for this. Learn it. Do it. Love it.

Chuee

Smash Hero
because he only uses C4 if he can't make it back with the cypher. If he DIs right he should never need it against ness.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Snake shouldn't even be C4ing to recover in the MU where people don't know how to steal his second jump with jabs and dtilts because those people are bad.
I went ahead and fixed that for you :). Snake has been my second for a long time, he's not a character who I lack understanding of.

Chuee

Smash Hero
JAB!?!?!?!?
DTILT!??!?!?!?!
I hope you know if snake cyphers that close to you you'd be better off grabbing him. Snake's never do that though.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dtilts and jabs r better for eating scond jumps. Bigger hitboxes and easier to time. Easiest way to get this to happen is to grab a Snake right by the edge, grab release, dtilt flurry. If they DJ, then you have their DJ and you can do watever u wanna.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
Don't think you'll be able to punish Snake's DJ much. Snake's likes to recover really high right after DI'ing.

Though depending on what Snake's % is and what attack you do (like Fair>Snake falls off stage, sets up a good position for you), you can attack his DJ or cypher.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
oh
I 4got to mention.
Snake can get juggled in the air by Ness easily.
You can even kill him w/ PKT if his health is high enough
I do it all the time in 2v2's when snakes use their cyphers to flee.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Does anybody know if grab releasing Snake by the edge will do Ness any good as far as trying to spike him goes? I know Ness has no grab release, but I don't know what other term to use. And Snake mains often try to recover high enough, too. It doesn't mean it's not possible to do something about it, though. Jump your PK Flash or use your uair or maybe a nair to knock him further away from the stage.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Grab releasing Snake over the edge puts him in a better position for you to edgeguard him than any of your throws anyway. fthrow puts him so far away that you won't be able to reliably chase him and dthrow just puts him slightly above you if he DI's into the stage. Grab releasing puts him below the ledge level and that's what you want.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
The kid is back, and hes lookin for some good advice ahem
(Pulls out a Memo)

My friend is a good Weegee player online, but the only reason he wins is because of the online lag.
Hes in ohio, and im, well, here>.>

The lag is so awesome, i cant come back as easy as i can using Pk Thunder,
Meaning i have no recovery besides the second jump.

Does anyone have any advice? Im Gerogia's best Pk Player offline, But this
Still dos not help the fact that i cant play online, anyone have any helps?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
cool, ill try with somebody else, thanks dude

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
i know, i dont play online unless nobody is at my house and im really bored...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Obviously offline is better. But if you can't get a ride somewhere or if you don't have people to play, then just stick with playing online. But if I were you, I'd try to find someone who isn't in as much lag, because it can really mess you up if you don't play offline as much. Like Delta-cod said, don't take wifi seriously. My advice would be to have you or your friend get a better connection. At least try to get a better connection, that way the lag isn't as horrible. Be sure that you're not downloading or letting something load online while you're playing Brawl online, because that'll make the lag just as bad.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
ness w/ lag isn't terrible... its just the fluctuating lag that destroys him....

also, who are we discussing again? if it's ganon, im pretty sure 60-40 or better in ness' favor is agreed upon

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Nessers, as the MU runner, please PLEASE be nice. >_> Mario mains will be too.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm thinking next month we're going to start re-discussions, starting with F tier. Sound good?

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'll give my response, again, after they change the title from Peach to Ness. We've had this discussion not too long ago, either. 55:45, Mario, obviously.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Ahh good to hear. I hope we get a lot of Nessers in here to chat. I seem to be good enough at bringing people in. :laugh:

Next month it is!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
So we just leave this topic alone for a week?
Pretty much. I plan on starting up in March. We WON'T start with Ganon though, seeing as we just talked about him and got a lot of help from the Ganons.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Alright ladies, the new TIER LIST v4 is out, here it is:

Tier List Version Four

S :metaknight:

HIGH
A :snake: :diddy: :falco: :popo: :marth: :warioc:
B :dedede: :pikachu2: :olimar: :lucario: :gw:

Middle
C :pit: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus: :kirby2: :rob:
D :dk2: :peach: :fox: :luigi2: :wolf:
E :shiek: :pt: :sonic: :ness2: :bowser2:

Low
F :lucas: :ike: :yoshi2: :mario2: :falcon: :samus2: :jigglypuff:
G :zelda: :link2: :ganondorf:

Condensed Version:
S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Ice Climbers, Marth, Wario
B: King Dedede, Pikachu, Olimar, Lucario, Mr. Game & Watch
C: Pit, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, R.O.B.
D: Donkey Kong, Peach, Fox, Luigi, Wolf
E: Sheik, Pokémon Trainer, Sonic, Ness, Bowser
F: Lucas, Ike, Yoshi, Mario, Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff
G: Zelda, Link, Ganondorf

---

The Brawl Back Room in general seems to be very excited about how well the Middle Tiers have panned out. We hope that in itself it creates a strong balanced metagame with a lot of diversity for future side-events.
On the other hand, Low Tier now officially loses Pokemon Trainer, Ness and Bowser, as we do not consider E Tier as a Borderline Low. However, Ness & Bowser were originally voted as Upper Low, but rather than another tier both were bumped into E. Hence, one could consider both Ness and Bowser acceptable characters in Low Tier tournaments.

---

That means in March, 2010 we will start to re-discuss Match Ups (MUs). Starting with Hyrule G tier and work our way up. Any objections?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
sounds good.... lets do it!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

but skip gdorf..... we just did him...

Top Bottom