• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I thought you guys might learn something from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVPqiE8acc
WOW I FEEL INSULTED! :mad:

But nah in reality Lucas players do often pray for grabs. It's such a big part of his playstyle it's hard not to grab just from pure instinct sometimes. I can't say that I try to grab during situations where both players are at mid-percents, rather I try to play a good spacing and neutral game. But if an opponent is at a higher percent where Lucas hoo-hah, up-throw, or back-throw kills - you KNOW I'm gonna try and grab. It's a blessing and a curse because his kills are reliable, but pretty predictable as to when they'll be attempted.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
WOW I FEEL INSULTED! :mad:

But nah in reality Lucas players do often pray for grabs. It's such a big part of his playstyle it's hard not to grab just from pure instinct sometimes. I can't say that I try to grab during situations where both players are at mid-percents, rather I try to play a good spacing and neutral game. But if an opponent is at a higher percent where Lucas hoo-hah, up-throw, or back-throw kills - you KNOW I'm gonna try and grab. It's a blessing and a curse because his kills are reliable, but pretty predictable as to when they'll be attempted.
On the bright side, we do have a fast, safe move that links into our grab at kill percents (Dtilt). I don't think that can be said for any other tether grab character.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Anybody have any tips for fighting high level Sonics! It is seriously my hardest matchup right now. I keep losing to them in tourney!

I think that I'm going to have to B-stick in this match up so that I'm more safe with pk fire. I never before did it because I love being able to smash quickly with the c-stick.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Anybody have any tips for fighting high level Sonics! It is seriously my hardest matchup right now. I keep losing to them in tourney!

I think that I'm going to have to B-stick in this match up so that I'm more safe with pk fire. I never before did it because I love being able to smash quickly with the c-stick.
Sorry, there is no cure for cancer

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus

I've played Lucas and Sonic for about a year now. I personally think Sonic is one of Lucas's worst match ups (not as bad as Cloud tho). Both characters want to camp, but Sonic camps much better, and PK Fire is punishable on reaction if Sonic runs up and blocks, unless you wave bounce it every time. There's really just not much you can do if you're facing a smart Sonic, who will always force you to approach if he has the lead. Also, you will almost never land a grab in this match up, ever. Sonic is just way too fast. Of course it is winnable, but you have to work for it a lot more than most other match ups. To consistently beat Sonic, I honestly think it warrants picking up a secondary. Cloud, Rosa, Fox, etc.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696

Sonic I think is a hard matchup for Lucas. As Login suggested, Sonic can punish Lucas pretty easily with run-up powershields and capitalize on whiffed grabs. I will say that if you catch a Sonic spindashing close enough that a grounded PK Fire can reach, that's probably your best option. Z-air might work, but Sonic can just go underneath and attack from below. And If I were you I would keep the c-stick for smashes. F-smash can punish Sonic pretty easily if they whiff or use a laggy move like dash attack. PK Thunder can also be a valuable asset against Sonic offstage because his recovery mainly goes vertical. If you catch him in and offstage spindash, intercept him, wait for the spring recovery, and punish accordingly. Won't always work, but the more advantages you can get the better.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Yea, I think you guys are right. Sonic is one of our worst matchups! Smh!

With that said who do you guys think are our worst matchups? Right now I think it is Sonic, diddy kong, and shiek.

Diddy kong is another matchup that we have to camp the ledge, hope the diddy gets impatient, and gimp him off stage.

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
I remember Xanos has said that Olimar is among our most difficult MUs because of Olimar being a bit fast and Lucas not dealing with Pikmin well.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Definitely think Sheik is pretty bad.
Diddy Kong is a losing matchup but what about Greninja? He's much faster and Shuriken tears through Zair, not to mention other advantages he has.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I personally don't think Sheik is too bad. I'd put it as 6:4 at the very worst. Cloud and Sonic I'd say are Lucas's two worst match ups, and for me the third spot is a tie between Diddy and Rosalina.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I kinda body olimars. This match is between one of the top olimar's in the nation and u can see i'm hyper rushing. This matchup is a lot easier with Ness tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2oPY3Klypc

Never fought a high level greninja.

Sheik is pretty tuff at high level and top lvl

Cloud is very hard. I agree. One thing we have going for us is that we can gimp him with a pk freeze stage spike or a spaced dsmash while he is recovering.

I forgot about Rosa. She of course is one of our worst matchups!

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I remember Xanos has said that Olimar is among our most difficult MUs because of Olimar being a bit fast and Lucas not dealing with Pikmin well.
I don't quite agree. If you didn't know, any pikmin that attach to Lucas can all be killed with a up-air. So when I fight Olimar and pikmin are on me I retreat and use short-hop up-air to get rid of them. I have heard that sometimes white pikmin can grab Lucas beneath the up-air hitbox, but I have not run into that situation. Also using f-smash to reflect Olimar's pikmin f-smashes can be pretty deadly. I don't think Olimar is a bad matchup, but he's not a easy win either.

Personally I think Mario is a really hard matchup for Lucas. He has really fast aerials that pressure, cape to deal with projectiles, and decently fast smash attacks that can punish and kill somewhat easily. I'd also say that FLUDD can spell death for Lucas if he recovers with PK Thunder offstage. Mario is just so well balanced and has a great neutral that I believe he gives Lucas some trouble. But that's just my opinion. I've also heard the same be said for Fox, and while I don't have all that much matchup experience I can say that Fox's speed can give Lucas a hard time.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I would say top 3 worst are Diddy, Sonic and Cloud.
I honestly don't think anything gets close. Sheik used to be up there but now that we don't get butched f-throw bouncing fish we don't really die before 130 if you play you're cards right. Then, you're only 1 throw away from killing her at 60.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Tuesday's video is here!
In My Head - Mekos (Lucas) vs Pink Fresh (Bayonetta) Pound 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL7EmmQzQnU
The sensitivity on smash attacks is higher in this game than any of the previous ones, it's not just you. Or the window for a smash attack after hitting the stick in a direction is wider so more people are able to get them. You could try switching to tilt stick, or just wait to rebuild your muscle memory. I have a similar issue currently when I jump the gun on hitting an up tilt out of a falling aerial and end up throwing an up smash randomly.

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
I don't quite agree. If you didn't know, any pikmin that attach to Lucas can all be killed with a up-air. So when I fight Olimar and pikmin are on me I retreat and use short-hop up-air to get rid of them. I have heard that sometimes white pikmin can grab Lucas beneath the up-air hitbox, but I have not run into that situation. Also using f-smash to reflect Olimar's pikmin f-smashes can be pretty deadly. I don't think Olimar is a bad matchup, but he's not a easy win either.
I agree with you, I just don't have as much Lucas experience as Xanos has and I thought it was worth bringing up. I mostly agree with everyone here as our worse MUs being Sonic, Cloud, and Diddy. I honestly don't think the Rosa MU is nearly as bad as it is with Ness and is a lot more doable than it would be with him.

Red Stache

Smash Cadet
I said this elsewhere, but I will say it again.

Happy 10th Mother 3!

[ Mario spoke the Encouraging Words to Lucas. ]
[ Lucas felt a little better. ]

abx

Smash Journeyman
Mekos Mekos : Regarding the patience, even from a more casual standpoint I fully agree. But the more interesting question is: What should one do if both players are patient? Especially if one is playing the character which struggles more in applying pressure?

Additionally, this adds up with how you noted earlier how important it is to gain the stock lead. It forces the opponent to be less patient.

Last edited:

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Just simply stick to your patient gameplay. At that point it is a mental battle and u are waiting for your opponent to crack. One example is in my most recent video. The lucas and fox are both playing patient. And that is usually how the fox/lucas matchup is at high/top level play.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Hm, let's talk about stages. How would you all rate Lucas's stages from best to worst in general?

Mine would be Town and City, Final Destination, Smashville, Dreamland, Battlefied, Lylat Cruise, Duck Hunt

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Hm, let's talk about stages. How would you all rate Lucas's stages from best to worst in general?

Mine would be Town and City, Final Destination, Smashville, Dreamland, Battlefied, Lylat Cruise, Duck Hunt
I'd say...

T&C, Duck Hunt, Smashville, FD, Dreamland, Battlefield, Lylat.

I feel like Delfino is a pretty good stage for him but I was only rating the stages you did lol

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I'll just re-quote myself from the other thread we had eariler about stages with a few revisions

This is my opinion on the stages for Lucas

S+:Omega Kalos. It's pretty straight forward why I think this is Lucas's best stage. No platforms to intervene with d-throw jablock combo's, No platforms for the opponent to deal with PK-fire zoning and no wall-jumps even though there is a wall. This is crucial and makes this stage better than regular FD or any FD with walls. You can up-B twice but they can't walljump.
[This was before the patch that changed the Kalos wall-jump, just pick PAC-LAND instead because you can't wall-jump there either]

S: Omega with walls. Identical to what's above but your opponent can walljump. Might as well pick Kalos if you can.
S: Halberd. This stage is stupid for Lucas. Even though PK-fire zoning is somewhat limited, your killing precentages aren't. Up-throw can kill 50% earlier than on FD making some matchups, especially those against the lighter characters of the cast extremely daunting for them. Killing RosaLuma at 89% without rage is fair!
[Stage isn't legal anymore which imo is a bummer, now we only have T&C with a low ceiling]

A: FD/Other Omega's, Similar to the other FD's but without a reilable double Up-b.
A [S]: Town & City, Lower that average ceiling making Up-throw kill eariler and giving him a true 0-death lock. Platforms aren't always in the way when comboing but can be used to land on mixing your landing.
A [S]: Duckhunt. Has walls that you can bounce on. A disruptive but predictable dog that you can use to mix things up. Also has a tree on the right for stalling time when needing to.
A: Lylat Cruise, D-smash and Up-smash and angled f-tilt all hit underneath the stage and can potentially spike the opponent when they try to get back on the stage. Platforms are placed just right making it extremely easy to AC a N-air. The stage tiltng can occasionally ruin your PK-fire zoning so pay attention! This stage is great for Lucas especially when your recovery is on point. [I've seen the BS combo's you can do thanks to the platforms and I almost always go to Lylat if it isn't banned. It's so good as long as you're recovery is on point.]

A- [B]: Smashville, This stage doesn't hurt Lucas, but it doesn't really help him either. The platform can help extend combo's but can interrupt them as well. It can add you in gimping but it can safe the opponent as well. Mixed bag imo.
[Even after all these games i've played on smashville I still don't like the stage for Lucas, several times when I'm gimping people with D-smash they make it back because of that platform.]

B: Delfino Plaza, Has some disruptive transistions that can slow the game down and force camping, platforms do not help you in any shape or form. Has wall-offs and water that doesn't help Lucas gimp people. The only thing this stage has going for lucas is that extremely low ceiling during certain transistions making him kill eariler than on halberd in certain cases.
[Stage isn't legal anymore (At least not here) so yay I guess]
B: Dreamland 64. Platforms can help slightly in your combo game but not really. Even though the stage is big enough to zone you can't because people can easily use the platforms to get around it. Also the tree's gust of wind can hit you when you're below the stage tempering with your Up-B and can make you overshoot/undershoot the ledge. And the sides are huge making coming back easy as long as they aren't waiting for you.

D: Castle Siege. This is ugh. First transformation is too small to escape from fighting close quarters which Lucas doesn't want to do. Second transformation has statues that negate any form of zoning and has a wall-off making it impossible to gimp people and the third transformation is Lylat's brother, who is a heroin addict. Why is this stage legal?
[It's gone, where's the celebration cake?]

F [C]: Battlefield. This is imo Lucas's worst stage. Too little room to zone, Too little room to escape pressure, No easy AC on platforms because of the placement. Blastzones on the sides aren't as close as you would think making b-throw kill extremely late. Highest ceiling so up-throw/D-throw Up-air kills really late. All in all it's bad.
[I'm a little less pessimistic about this stage but it's still horrible]

TL;DR
S+:Omega PAC-LAND.
S: Omega's with walls, Lylat, T&C
A: FD, Other Omega's, DH
B: Smashville Dreamland 64,
C: Battlefield.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
The ducks in Duck Hunt also let you extend your hitboxes, which, on certain attacks, are already pretty chunky.

Top Bottom