• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
It feels so good to hit a bair spike.
Anybody know where the spike hitbox is for that move?

Also, I feel deesgusted when I play characters like MK. Lucas mains are so spoiled by their speed and acceleration while in helpless state.
The sweetspot is very close to the foot during his animation, it covers an area that extends a bit out of the tip of his foot to around his knee, and is active during the entire duration of the move. I'm not sure how hitbox precedence works in this game, so if an opponent is hit with both the sweetspot and the larger sourspot simultaneously, I don't know which one takes over. You'll generally have more success with the spike the closer you are to the opponent when you hit the b-air.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
A quick question, has anyone tried Dairing the 2-frame vulnerability when someone tries to snap to the ledge (specifically, vanish)? I may just be spouting ignorant nonsense but it seems like multi-hit spikes would be perfect for that.

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
A quick question, has anyone tried Dairing the 2-frame vulnerability when someone tries to snap to the ledge (specifically, vanish)? I may just be spouting ignorant nonsense but it seems like multi-hit spikes would be perfect for that.
Works well, but each hit of d-air only lasts 2-3 frames, with around 6-7 frames of no hitboxes in between, despite it looking like a continuous hitbox through the animation, so don't be surprised if it doesn't connect consistently. If you want to spike someone trying to snap ledge, well timed b-air works much better, as it has a longer continuous hitbox (5 frames I think) and a more advantageous horizontal reach.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Works well, but each hit of d-air only lasts 2-3 frames, with around 6-7 frames of no hitboxes in between, despite it looking like a continuous hitbox through the animation, so don't be surprised if it doesn't connect consistently. If you want to spike someone trying to snap ledge, well timed b-air works much better, as it has a longer continuous hitbox (5 frames I think) and a more advantageous horizontal reach.
So ignorant nonsense then, good to know. Gonna start practicing my Bairs. I'm just having a really hard time edgeguarding Sheik, it feels like I'm letting her back onstage for free :/

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
So ignorant nonsense then, good to know. Gonna start practicing my Bairs. I'm just having a really hard time edgeguarding Sheik, it feels like I'm letting her back onstage for free :/
Remember. A constant hotbox right under the ledge will always hit a teleporting recovery. They always snap from max distance on the bottom (or summat like that).

Meaning, circle PK Thunder around the ledge from a safe distance.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Anyone seen any good Lucas tourney play lately? I feel like I've been plateauing with Lucas lately and it would be helpful to take notes on some good players.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Anyone seen any good Lucas tourney play lately? I feel like I've been plateauing with Lucas lately and it would be helpful to take notes on some good players.
Well last week I went to a single elimination tournament hosted by the IT club at my campus. I went Lucas and two of the four sets I played were streamed. I wouldn't call myself a top-level Lucas or anything but if you're interested you could give it a watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/squidtepig/v/18831256

1:25:33 Me vs a Roy player (win)
3:05:12 Me vs a Greninja player in top 8 (loss)

It was also my first tournament so the jitters were real. I'm open to constructive criticism as well.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Well last week I went to a single elimination tournament hosted by the IT club at my campus. I went Lucas and two of the four sets I played were streamed. I wouldn't call myself a top-level Lucas or anything but if you're interested you could give it a watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/squidtepig/v/18831256

1:25:33 Me vs a Roy player (win)
3:05:12 Me vs a Greninja player in top 8 (loss)

It was also my first tournament so the jitters were real. I'm open to constructive criticism as well.
I'm at the point where I'll take anything. I almost never see Lucas used in tourney. You did gud.

On another note, I found out Nair can jab reset. Not sure if this has been discovered or how it works, but I was practicing the foot stool combos in training mode when it happened. I fast fall Naired by accident into the CPU after Dthrow, and it jab reset. I managed to do this a second time in a row, but I haven't managed to recreate it since. Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Nair being able to reset is news to me. I'll look into it when I have access to my Wii U.

On another note, zair puts opponents into tumbling hitstun at around 120%. It gives them a very small window to tech, and if they miss, it's a free Fsmash.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
So, I went to a tourney yesterday, and I noticed one thing over all else: you're not gonna win with the cheap GameStop controller.
Is there anybody who has a GameCube controller that they just don't use?

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
So, I went to a tourney yesterday, and I noticed one thing over all else: you're not gonna win with the cheap GameStop controller.
Gamecube controllers are in high demand in the Smash scene bruh. Good luck.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I have an official Nintendo Wii U Pro controller which was bought from Gamestop. What are my odds?

ilysm

sleepy
GameCube controllers are certainly an investment, but imo they're definitely worth that investment. In a game like Smash you have such a minute degree of control over almost every little thing your character does, and your options as far as the engine goes are stupidly, almost infinitely flexible. Using a controller that allows for that fine-tuned control with a great deal of consistency is really valuable. Come to think of it, it's kinda funny that such a game and such a controller were designed and marketed over two console generations ago now. Still the best!

(I'm being unfair. The Wii U Pro and Classic controllers are good as well. ^_^)

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
One really positive thing that's come from playing Lucas for me is that my reads are becoming rapidly stronger. It's an aspect of play you're forced to strengthen to use him well since that's typically how you get grabs, and it's carrying over to others that I play. This character is so fun when you make him work.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCBF-ml1VU

Here's something really cool a friend linked me. It's a 5 on 5 team battle with either team using only one character; Lucas and Wario. For those who are seeking higher level Lucas gameplay or ways to improve their own Lucas, I highly suggest watching this. It showcases the difference between good and great Lucas players, as well as all the fundamental tools Lucas has that give him an edge. Especially the later players, you'll find them using a lot of seemingly basic stuff that I think many of us forget to incorporate, such as jab/d-tilt mixups, looking for the d-tilt to grab at high percents, and z-air/f-air deterrent against approaches, as well as spacing on stage b-air and pressuring with n-air. Great series of games.

Last edited:

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCBF-ml1VU

Here's something really cool a friend linked me. It's a 5 on 5 team battle with either team using only one character; Lucas and Wario. For those who are seeking higher level Lucas gameplay or ways to improve their own Lucas, I highly suggest watching this. It showcases the difference between good and great Lucas players, as well as all the fundamental tools Lucas has that give him an edge. Especially the later players, you'll find them using a lot of seemingly basic stuff that I think many of us forget to incorporate, such as jab/d-tilt mixups, looking for the d-tilt to grab at high percents, and z-air/f-air deterrent against approaches, as well as spacing on stage b-air and pressuring with n-air. Great series of games.
Thanks for linking this. My Lucas has been playing terrible recently, for a multitude of reasons (I wasn't home for a while, and my 3ds doesn't have Lucas. Also, I've been trying to pick up Metaknight as my 3rd and final character, to cover matchups I don't like with Doc or Lucas) and this is some play I can look at while I try to restart and relearn Lucas.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
PK Fire must have some sort of damageable hurtbox or something, because I've seen it absorb Sheik's needles and Falco's lasers despite the fact that they're transcendent.

Edit: Also wow Pink Fresh made a fantastic run at Xanadu.

Last edited:

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
PK fire is technically a multi hit move. Does that have any effect on that sort of thing?

Ditto on the Pink Fresh sentiment. I really hope he continues to seriously use Lucas from now on.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
PK fire is technically a multi hit move. Does that have any effect on that sort of thing?

Ditto on the Pink Fresh sentiment. I really hope he continues to seriously use Lucas from now on.
Transcendent moves and projectiles will never clank in any situation. Sheik's needles and Falco's lasers will only stop short of max range if they hit a damageable hurtbox; they usually ignore other projectiles. The only conclusion I can make is that PK Fire has a hurtbox.

The bottom line is that this is a good thing. PK Fire > needles and lasers at mid range. I'll take a closer look at this later.

Last edited:

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
I just caught the VODs and was heading in to write that myself! Glad to see Lucas in tournaments, any idea of the VODs for your matches SpaceDong SpaceDong , @Son~ ?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPNNsBkfHF36lF0X-jwbU5R_wk3Vmr6NM
Playlist for the tournament in it's entirety

Vods I used exclusively Lucas in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFanRY3z_f0&list=PLPNNsBkfHF36lF0X-jwbU5R_wk3Vmr6NM&index=4 (Vs Poke #1 In Ontario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQuK6bDrtv0&list=PLPNNsBkfHF36lF0X-jwbU5R_wk3Vmr6NM&index=7 (Vs Astro, has a win on Holy amongst other notable players)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-AE4jBxmk&list=PLPNNsBkfHF36lF0X-jwbU5R_wk3Vmr6NM&index=30 (Pools match)

Vods I use other characters in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXUhUutNq0w&list=PLPNNsBkfHF36lF0X-jwbU5R_wk3Vmr6NM&index=13 (Vs V115, used Sheik, got bodied then switched to Lucas)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXliCuLBYVo&list=PLPNNsBkfHF36lF0X-jwbU5R_wk3Vmr6NM&index=5 (Vs Red X, best Rosa in Ontario so I used Fox instead of Lucas)

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
also used only Lucas in my pools and 2-0'ed everyone, and here's the challonge: http://challonge.com/WP2S4S the 3 matches that I played offstream were against a Bowser Jr main, and 2 Luigi's. Pretty sure DooM is like the best Luigi in Montreal. Used Lucas for those guys too! :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
PK Fire must have some sort of damageable hurtbox or something, because I've seen it absorb Sheik's needles and Falco's lasers despite the fact that they're transcendent.

Edit: Also wow Pink Fresh made a fantastic run at Xanadu.
I'm pretty much 100% certain PK Fire has a hurtbox. I've seen Palutena's Autoreticule target it and possibly even Sonic's Homing Attack.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I'm pretty much 100% certain PK Fire has a hurtbox. I've seen Palutena's Autoreticule target it and possibly even Sonic's Homing Attack.
And thank you for this useful information. I'm going to a tournament today, and I want to use Lucas. Unfortunately it's not streamed, so that sucks.

Also I'm still using that stupid GameStop controller.:drshrug:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
I've been wondering why PK Fire has been so good at making other charaacter's zoning attempts literally blow up in their face. The fact that it also beats out Yoshi's eggs is really cool too.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
things to try:
d-throw to short hop pkt2 if you condition the airdodge. difficult to execute properly but can net early and unexpected kills.
d-throw footstool combo to pkt2. extreme damage racker, game ender near edge, disrespectful as **** anywhere.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Lemme just pop in here and say how hype Sm4sh at MLG was? Like, for real?

Aight, back to the regularly scheduled programming of Lucas discussion.

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
Why'd they make Lucas' up air weaker and smaller than Ness'? You'd think with that small hitbox it'd be a bit stronger. ;-;

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why'd they make Lucas' up air weaker and smaller than Ness'? You'd think with that small hitbox it'd be a bit stronger. ;-;
It's just a general rule that Lucas's air game is less potent than Ness's in exchange for a more solid ground game.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I wish PK Hoo Hah worked better on WiFi. I rarely get to play offline, and the strict timing for the setup is so hard to get with input lag.

Top Bottom