• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

D

Deleted member

Out of all the new DLC characters ( including Mewtwo), i'm having the most fun with unexpectedly, Lucas. Guess it's just how he plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Lucas's Up Smash has invincibility frames at the start of the move (like in Brawl)

The hitbox is long lasting and rises quite far up (only outreached by Palutena's Up Smash, correct me if I am wrong).

Back Air seems to be quite easy to land and most of Lucas's moves are disjointed. Interesting character..

Last edited:

GreninjaTwo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintenTheScout
3DS FC
0989-1996-0168
Something I find fun with Lucas is to use PK Freeze on a cpu, and swirl PK Thunder through them while they're in midair. I've gotten a 22 hit combo!

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys I've been training with Lucas since Ness is one of my secondaries and I finished Mother 3 like 1-2 months ago and I really enjoyed it. Can I ask you some tips about Rope Snake (Grabbing, ZAir and Tether Recovery)?

notbenny

Smash Cadet
So I bring some rather sad news. Lucas a low tier character in brawl, and his damage has been significantly nerfed. I don't know how this is going to affect his tier placing....

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I bring some rather sad news. Lucas a low tier character in brawl, and his damage has been significantly nerfed. I don't know how this is going to affect his tier placing....
He was low tier for gamebreaking reasons that are no longer present in Smash 4. Plus almost everyone got damage nerfs too.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
He has so many true combos out of dthrow, the problem is.... landing that grab.

Also, I have a feeling we'll get a buff coming, he feels good though, so maybe not.

He heals 40% when healing thunder from Pikachu. Dubs please 8)

My dubs partner is a Pika so yeah...

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
Hi guys I've been training with Lucas since Ness is one of my secondaries and I finished Mother 3 like 1-2 months ago and I really enjoyed it. Can I ask you some tips about Rope Snake (Grabbing, ZAir and Tether Recovery)?
Zair serms to cancel quite fast upon landing. Could be good in the neutral, as it now has a longer lenght and stuff,

Use the Tether if you're in a situation where you want to avoid getting edge guarded far out or if you feel like it is too risky to use PK Thunder..

As for grabbing, note that Lucas has significant lag if you miss the grab, Be careful

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Last Roy thing I talk about. I just made a custom Roy with 200 power, fully charged Flare Blade does a minimum of 100% damage and a maximum of 179% damage.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think Lucas is going to struggle against disjoints. His moves are a bit lacking in range, though proper use of PK Fire makes so that the MUs aren't too bad. Still I imagine characters like Roy, Marth and Shulk are not going to be very fun for him.

Other than that, I'm loving him. Secondary/co-main for sure.

Also he's ridiculous on Halberd. Up-Smash/Up-Air/Up-Throw kills abound.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
I don't know if you guys know this but Ness got a major buff
I was just playing FG with Lucas and then I found a Ness doing lagless PSI Magnets.. Is the exact same lag as Lucas now..

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
So I've been labbing and practicing some more.

Zair is your friend. Seriously, I've been getting so much success with it. If you use it right before hitting the ground it'll have zero landing lag - this makes for wonderful shield pressure and on top of that it can true combo into jab, F-tilt, or possibly set up for a grab if your opponent doesn't react quick enough or impulsively shields. Its range is also beautiful.

I love Smash 4 Lucas so much.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I'm loving Lucas too! I used to main him in Brawl, and I'm so glad he's back! Also, this is my first Smash Boards post! c:
Welcome to the boards!! :)

I'm loving Lucas. He's so fun! His combos are sick, and he feels so swift! I wonder why everyone says he's been nerfed from Brawl, though. He just deals less damage, at the price of dealing more knockback (or at least it feels like that).

That Back Throw, though. And that Up Smash.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup

Zair is your friend. Seriously, I've been getting so much success with it. If you use it right before hitting the ground it'll have zero landing lag - this makes for wonderful shield pressure and on top of that it can true combo into jab, F-tilt, or possibly set up for a grab if your opponent doesn't react quick enough or impulsively shields. Its range is also beautiful.

I've been getting zair --> spikes and a lot of crazy setups.

I could see Lucas being rated low kinda, and seeing some potential buffs in the future.

Idk though, he definitely looks promising with some of his options..

D

Deleted member

Okay Nintendo, that does it… you’ve won E3. The impossible has finally happened. A canceled English release of a franchise long known to be neglected has finally released. Nothing will ever top this announcement in surprise factor and to me, hype.

This is the greatest possible thing you could have ever announced at E3. More than a new F-Zero title. More than a Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 with Kremlings and King K. Rool return in both that AND as Smash DLC. More than a Wii U exclusive of a great Mega Man game. The one thing I thought would never, ever happen did… localization of a Mother game.

What a miracle. This should have not happened in any universe at any time and yet it did. There had to be something out there that made this possible, something well… divine.

But whatever it is, take my money Nintendo. Take all of it. I’m going to make sure that for the rest of the Wii U and 3DS’s lifespan that I remain as a dedicated Nintendo supporter. I bought every piece of Smash DLC even with my previous apprehension towards Mii Costumes because this announcement tops everything I could have possibly expected and I will make sure to buy all of them from here on out. Because you did something that I’ve wanted, asked, and begged you to do, turn me into an overgrown child for a few minutes for an announcement and you’ve just appeased to the most inner heart of my love towards you. I’m gonna make sure to buy Nintendo’s games new whenever possible.

I’ll never forget this Nintendo and I will take these memories into my grave. Thank you so very much for finally localizing Mother 1 and (I feel eventually) Mother 3. And thank you for being such a prominent part of my life for the past seventeen years; especially in gaming.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Okay Nintendo, that does it… you’ve won E3. The impossible has finally happened. A canceled English release of a franchise long known to be neglected has finally released. Nothing will ever top this announcement in surprise factor and to me, hype.

This is the greatest possible thing you could have ever announced at E3. More than a new F-Zero title. More than a Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 with Kremlings and King K. Rool return in both that AND as Smash DLC. More than a Wii U exclusive of a great Mega Man game. The one thing I thought would never, ever happen did… localization of a Mother game.

What a miracle. This should have not happened in any universe at any time and yet it did. There had to be something out there that made this possible, something well… divine.

But whatever it is, take my money Nintendo. Take all of it. I’m going to make sure that for the rest of the Wii U and 3DS’s lifespan that I remain as a dedicated Nintendo supporter. I bought every piece of Smash DLC even with my previous apprehension towards Mii Costumes because this announcement tops everything I could have possibly expected and I will make sure to buy all of them from here on out. Because you did something that I’ve wanted, asked, and begged you to do, turn me into an overgrown child for a few minutes for an announcement and you’ve just appeased to the most inner heart of my love towards you. I’m gonna make sure to buy Nintendo’s games new whenever possible.

I’ll never forget this Nintendo and I will take these memories into my grave. Thank you so very much for finally localizing Mother 1 and (I feel eventually) Mother 3. And thank you for being such a prominent part of my life for the past seventeen years; especially in gaming.
Yes. The only way they could make this E3 better is to announce Mother 3.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
Earthbound Beginnings! Yay!

So, after my adventures yesterday downloading Lucas I got Dreamland 64 this morning. It's pretty cool. But after buying Earthbound Beginnings on top of that, I've only got 6 bucks left in the eShop. I'll hold off on other Smash DLC for now.

As for Lucas? He feels great. I'm in love with PSI Magnet, PK Freeze goes so damn fast, his helpless state is bizzarrely maneuverable, PK Thunder goes super far, no dumb grab release bug.

Drippy

Smash Ace

Wow definitely need to mix in z-air more in my gameplay, thanks for pointing this out! I also agree, Lucas has been the most fun DLC character by far and I'm 100% maining him.

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
So I was playing For Glory and I managed to gimp someone recovering with down smash.

Literally the best feeling in a game where ledges are so free.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
I think Lucas is going to struggle against disjoints. His moves are a bit lacking in range, though proper use of PK Fire makes so that the MUs aren't too bad. Still I imagine characters like Roy, Marth and Shulk are not going to be very fun for him.
Granted, in my past experiences this was kinda a problem for Ness too [not as much but I kinda felt it]...unless I just suck at fighting against characters with disjoints which is a totally viable option.

---------------------------------------------

I love Lucas as a character and i'll definitely try to make him a secondary but as of this moment I think Ness is the better PSI powerhouse. Lucas's grab is just what kills it for me and I had a feeling that would be his one main downfall when I first seen his trailer. It isn't impossible to land but since a majority of his combos/chains start with down throw [much like Ness] and if you whiff you're just a sitting sunflower it just makes him feel weaker in comparison. Again this could all be me and in 2 months once we've figured out some of his tricks and quirks he could be better I just don't see him being as good as or surpassing Ness in viability. On that note as I said i'm definitely want to work on him [and Roy].

And now it's time to play some Earthbound Beginnings. Please people show your Mother love with your wallets the game's seven bucks. If you like the Mother franchise prove it by buying this game.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Granted, in my past experiences this was kinda a problem for Ness too [not as much but I kinda felt it]...unless I just suck at fighting against characters with disjoints which is a totally viable option.

I love Lucas as a character and i'll definitely try to make him a secondary but as of this moment I think Ness is the better PSI powerhouse. Lucas's grab is just what kills it for me and I had a feeling that would be his one main downfall when I first seen his trailer. It isn't impossible to land but since a majority of his combos/chains start with down throw [much like Ness] and if you whiff you're just a sitting sunflower it just makes him feel weaker in comparison. Again this could all be me and in 2 months once we've figured out some of his tricks and quirks he could be better I just don't see him being as good as or surpassing Ness in viability. On that note as I said i'm definitely want to work on him [and Roy].

And now it's time to play some Earthbound Beginnings. Please people show your Mother love with your wallets the game's seven bucks. If you like the Mother franchise prove it by buying this game.
I think everyone agrees that Ness is better than Lucas (a lot of pros have said it themselves) but Lucas definitely has a lot of potential and tons of people are saying he's at least high tier in this game.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361

I WANT TO BUY IT SO BADLY BUT I USED ALL MY MONEY D:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
wtf.
the tazmilian devil?
seriously? you choose to include australia but you do it like... this?

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hearing all this good stuff about Lucas i s making me soooo jealous, I still haven't come home yet from my road trip and I probably won't make it back until super late tonight so I can't play the game or download the DLC. When I arrive though, I'm playing him and only him for a week and will not play any of my other characters (not even in Training mode), a challenge I issued myself a week ago. As much as I'm hyped for Ryu and want to perfect my real main:4megaman:, I'm trying to become the best Lucas in my region and I want to take the first steps to that in the most epic possible way. Hopefully I'll get to play Mother 3 sometime too, I love playing Earthbound on eshop.

ilysm

sleepy
So I'm thinking that zair might replace fair as a 'put out a hitbox' tool in the neutral because it's longer range and fair doesn't autocancel anymore (-_-). I'm thinking that part of the design mentality for Lucas was that he can get so many things off a grab (really, so many) but his grab is a super committal option. I think we need to find us some setups.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think it's brilliant that Dream Land 64 was released at the same time as :4lucas:.

I mean, after all, that very same stage is where :ness64: was fought and unlocked way back in 1999.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
He was low tier for gamebreaking reasons that are no longer present in Smash 4. Plus almost everyone got damage nerfs too.
Game breaking reason in brawl: Snake/Marth/Dk/Yoshi just plain beat the child. Wario molest him....other than that, I am glad taht there are no more grab release shenanigans.

Top Bottom