• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
be snazzy!

at around 100% on Mario, you can dthrow -> Bair spike -> upair

crazy KO set up, though hard to execute.

still, amazing!

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I'm absolutely LOVING Lucas. He has amazing combos and just feels so rewarding to hit with. It's a bit unfortunate that none of his aerials have a short hop autocancel, but with proper spacing and shield stabbing it can be worked around.

Here are some true combos I've tested out with a human player:
- D-Throw > Nair > Uair (Uair only works at low percents)
- Fastfall Uair > Uair (Solid 26~ damage combo that works until about 60-70% depending on the character)
- D-Throw > Uair (This is our killing hoo-hah. If you get a grab at least around 110% you should be able to kill with this true combo)

I've also done fullhop Dair spike > Up-Smash, but it's difficult to correctly get the popup since you have to fastfall at a certain point in the attack. It also relies on them missing the tech, so this isn't exactly a go-to option imo.

I'm loving Lucas but I find his final smash slightly disappointing.
It's pretty much Ness's but it doesn't trap opponents as well. I guess I'll need to experiment more with that.

But like I said, I really love how Lucas plays in this game. I also love how they released three characters at the same time.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Ooooh, I've missed this. I've grown so used to Ness, I forget how darn amazing Lucas is.
He feels so much swifter than Ness.
I LOVE using PK Freeze, it moves so quick! PK Fire is great too. PK Thunder I'll have to get used to yet.
PSI Magnet restores so much darn %, it's not even funny.
u-Smash is as satisfying as ever. f-Smash is super quick, I love it.
His tilts all feel more useful and quick compared to Ness'.
To top it off, he has a kill throw!

Oh, this is such a great change of pace! Lucas will definitly dethrone Dedede as my main.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Ooooh, I've missed this. I've grown so used to Ness, I forget how darn amazing Lucas is.
He feels so much swifter than Ness.
I LOVE using PK Freeze, it moves so quick! PK Fire is great too. PK Thunder I'll have to get used to yet.
PSI Magnet restores so much darn %, it's not even funny.
u-Smash is as satisfying as ever. f-Smash is super quick, I love it.
His tilts all feel more useful and quick compared to Ness'.
To top it off, he has a kill throw!

Oh, this is such a great change of pace! Lucas will definitly dethrone Dedede as my main.
Lucas has three kill throws. Only D-Throw doesn't kill at reasonable percentages

Lucas's throws are just crazy in this game.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Well I'm pissed off, The Nintendo World Championships just showed off a trailer with Itoi talking about Earthbound and how a certain game that never released in the U.S. I was shaking in my chair, only to see a Mother 1 translation, 11111111111111111111111111111111111WE'RENEVER GETTINGMOTHER3AREWE111111111111

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TAKE A MELODY

SIMPLE AS IT CAN BE

GIVE IT SOME HYPE AND....

Also on Lucas... daaamn son. HE'S AMAZING.

- He still very floaty. I kinda played Project M before getting into him since I thought they'd lower his falling speed, but apparently not. :ohwell:
Got hang of his floatiness and way of playing though, and it still works.

- Some things got modified, it seems. N-air seems more or less still potent, similar to Ness's N-Air. Seems still good for poking shield somewhat and I can even try ending it mid-air if fast-falled which seems to lend on follow-ups.

- F-Air got bit buffed to be kinda like mix of Brawl F-air with Zelda's Lightning Kick. Less range though if i wanna use it for spacing, I think. Wonder if I could take advantage of the sweetspot, though it ask for a lot of spacing.

- PK Fire is very good. PK Freeze is actually usable due being faster.
PK Thunder seems to not be able to "uppercut" though - also it seems kinda slow enough to be avoided bit easy. Gotta explore applications.

- Lucas's disjointed attacks on ground are very good. Easily pokes enemies away or sends them flying for gimp set-ups.

- D-Smash (PK Ground) seemingly got buffed to hit from behind! Can't be spotdodged either, lol. Very good for edge-guarding.

- PK Love still nastiest yet laggiest Up-Smash, but it feels satisfying to land. Reads on landing it seem to vary, but that range around it is massive. Yipe.

- Rope Snake kept his promise... it really has become Snake Rope. Saved me when the ledge was quite above me. Nice. Also Z-Air is finally in (though on the tip). D-Throw is fun to watch, but followups have to be mastered. No kill power in higher percents either, so I guess it's to B-Throw now.

- U-Air is less reliable from SH, seemingly got nerfed in speed, range and kill power. Might have not much use from me.

- Lucas is a precious cinnamon roll that I'm gonna main Embarrass

Last edited:

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
TAKE A MELODY

SIMPLE AS IT CAN BE

GIVE IT SOME HYPE AND....

Also on Lucas... daaamn son. HE'S AMAZING.

- He still very floaty. I kinda played Project M before getting into him since I thought they'd lower his falling speed, but apparently not. :ohwell:
Got hang of his floatiness and way of playing though, and it still works.

- Some things got modified, it seems. N-air seems more or less still potent, similar to Ness's N-Air. Seems still good for poking shield somewhat and I can even try ending it mid-air if fast-falled which seems to lend on follow-ups.

- F-Air got bit buffed to be kinda like mix of Brawl F-air with Zelda's Lightning Kick. Less range though if i wanna use it for spacing, I think. Wonder if I could take advantage of the sweetspot, though it ask for a lot of spacing.

- PK Fire is very good. PK Freeze is actually usable due being faster.
PK Thunder seems to not be able to "uppercut" though - also it seems kinda slow enough to be avoided bit easy. Gotta explore applications.

- Lucas's disjointed attacks on ground are very good. Easily pokes enemies away or sends them flying for gimp set-ups.

- D-Smash (PK Ground) seemingly got buffed to hit from behind! Can't be spotdodged either, lol. Very good for edge-guarding.

- PK Love still nastiest yet laggiest Up-Smash, but it feels satisfying to land. Reads on landing it seem to vary, but that range around it is massive. Yipe.

- Rope Snake kept his promise... it really has become Snake Rope. Saved me when the ledge was quite above me. Nice. Also Z-Air is finally in (though on the tip). D-Throw is fun to watch, but followups have to be mastered. No kill power in higher percents either, so I guess it's to B-Throw now.

- U-Air is less reliable from SH, seemingly got nerfed in speed, range and kill power. Might have not much use from me.

- Lucas is a precious cinnamon roll that I'm gonna main Embarrass
Lucas can still kill combo with down throw tho ;o

1/128

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chrono-Omega
Why, why must my internet be down at times likes this? I can't get Lucas, not even Mother 1...

machpizzarules

Smash Rookie
I'm loving Lucas too! I used to main him in Brawl, and I'm so glad he's back! Also, this is my first Smash Boards post! c:

skeletonboxers

Smash Cadet
NNID
tabster123
3DS FC
4983-5230-3260
For some reason I feel empty with Lucas here? I just need to practice with him more though, but I think I feel this way with thundersliding gone. Reading the comments about his good combo potential is fueling me back up.

Also MOTHER Beginnings??? Please tell me this means that the Mother series will be revived.

DarkDrifloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenNessDerek
For some reason I feel empty with Lucas here? I just need to practice with him more though, but I think I feel this way with thundersliding gone. Reading the comments about his good combo potential is fueling me back up.

Also MOTHER Beginnings??? Please tell me this means that the Mother series will be revived.
Hopefully!!!!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Announce Mother 1 today for the buildup hype since its effectively alpha-Earthbound, then announce Mother 3 during the Digital Event Tuesday.

Either in its GBA form, or hell, reworked from the ground up in 3DS/Wii U graphics for the real hype.

I see your plan, Nintendo.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I'M GETTING HIM LATER TODAY I CAN'T CONTROL MY EXCITEMENT OH MY GOODNESS

just by looking at magnet and his throws i can tell i'm going to use this character along with ness :]

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Itoi you told me Earthbound Beginnings was available now.

I don't see it.

Why did you lie to me. =(

Banette

Smash Cadet
After playing Lucas for a while, I must say that everything about him feels... Just right! I played the guy a lot in Brawl; this makes me wonder why I didn't try him out earlier - the answer is obvious, but perhaps I should have gone back to Brawl every now and then, instead of looking everywhere for that Sm4sh main I just couldn't find.

But that's not important now; sign me up!

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Man, I know you guys already have a bunch of posts saying how awesome Lucas is in Smash but I need to put more emphasis on it myself. Jesus, Lucas feels like a ****ing BEAST. Great throws, downthrow to upair is the new hoo hah, Nair autocancels, I'm gonna have a bunch of hours with Lucas this summer. How many of you guys are getting EarthBound: Beginnings?? (man it feels awesome not calling it Mother 1)

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
I love Lucas so fun and he feels so amazing and I can't wait to become even better with him. Loving how fast PK Freeze is and I much more prefer his PK Thunder to Ness'. However I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction I don't think I'm that great at Smash in general because I have the same problem with all characters. Once an opponent gets me I can never seem to break free of attacks, I can't get many of the combos many of you are referencing, I can't execute tilts and I feel my reflexes are subpar. Does anyone know of a way I can improve on the basics so I can enjoy my baby Lucas to the fullest? I'm pretty desperate for help but don't know how to improve.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Eeeeeee Lucas is so fun! I can't wait to learn all his combos and tricks, since I didn't main him in Brawl.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
So guys, why does Lucas have 3 seconds of end lag when canceling PK Thunder into the ground?

Ness doesn't, hell... UP SMASH HAS LESS END LAG

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Hey, do any of you guys have any good combos or setups so far? Short hop Nair seems to be pretty useful. I haven't really found any good pokes either, and I have no clue how to get Bair to spike.

Top Bottom