• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I liked Lucas. His PK Thunder was much more maneuverable than Ness's. His PK fire was good for pushing people off stages with edges. I disliked his shield, but it was better than Ness's because it could hurt you.
He was a good character. I moved to him after Samus, when I chose to try and new brawl character.

:phone:

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
I'd love for Lucas's Specials to be changed for the next game, most of which coming from Project M.

Neutral B: Offense Up
Side B: PK Freeze*
Up B: PK Thunder
Down B: PSI Shield**

* Works just like PK Fire in Brawl. Charging releases a blast of icy wind that freezes players.
** Works like Pit's Down B and can block some attacks but weakens over time...?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
As a competitive main of Lucas in brawl currently, i'm one of the few who likes his current moveset. He doesn't need a gigantic revamp to be good in terms of viability (in fact it's scary how little he'd need to be a good character but this goes for many LT and LM characters). Yoshi really did state it perfectly. I love how Lucas plays in brawl and it's incredibly different from ness. The discussion has been had but the simple fact is, they're not clones by most people's standards and i've seen this argument a lot. Their specials are slightly different (though this applies to a lot of clones but bear with me), aside from their Fsmash, Final Smash and Uair, the rest of their moveset is entirely different. Most aerials are entirely different, so are most smashes. Tilts? Entirely different. Grab and throws? Totally different. Strategies for getting back back on-stage. Not at all the same. general competitive style (I co-main both), absolutely, entirely different.

Lucas and Ness can be both clones and not-clones at the same time, IMO. I can see the reasoning behind why they would be clones but in my opinion, they have enough differences for that to be balanced out.

tl;dr I don't believe Lucas and Ness are clones and I wouldn't mind if Lucas' base moveset wasn't changed in the next game. :happysheep:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I love using PK Freeze, but it'd be better if it sent the opponent on a different angle, like Balanced Brawl did. In Balanced Brawl, the angle was changed to a semi-spike (or close to it anyway :p) and so if it hit the opponent that's in the air, they go up right/up left very slighly and then they fall to their doom. XP

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
Since I'm playing through Mother 3 right now, I've really taken a liking to the series. I used to be someone who wanted Lucas to be cut due to the fact that the Mother series is kinda "dead". But now that I'm playing Mother 3, I don't want the series to die, and that means not having Lucas cut in the next game. In fact I wouldn't mind if they added another character from the series to the game.

But what I would like them to do is to change his special moveset. Now I know that both Ness and Lucas are made up of PK moves that they were never able to use in their games (Besides Ness' PK Flash), but if they're gonna give Kumatora's moves to Lucas anyway, why not make them a little different?

For example, neutral special could be a PK Freeze that he shoots forward like Ness' PK Fire.

Side special could be a different version of PK Flash, which Lucas can actually use in his own game, that could cause a random effect such as blindness (Making attacks miss at random), paralysis, confusion (Control reversal), and a low chance of getting an instant KO. (Similar to Game & Watch's hammer)

Down special would be Kumatora's PK Ground which causes tremors around Lucas that have a chance of either burying the opponents or throwing them up in the air.

Up special was hard to come up with. I decided to make it a PK Thunder that shoots out 2 balls of thunder that you can't control. Instead, when Lucas is in the air, the thunder balls shoot out from above him, curve around each side of him, and then hit him upwards in the direction you're holding, like the StarFox up special. When on the ground, the thunder balls would shoot out to the side, curve around upwards, and come down on him to make an electric field surround him, not unlike Pikachu's Thunder.

Final Smash would of course be PK Love. I imagine it as starting with PK energy swirling inwards toward Lucas that would lightly pull opponents towards him, a shockwave going in towards Lucas's body, and then waves of energy releasing in all directions. It's complicated to explain, so maybe I could draw something a little later to show it.

Rukifellth

Smash Rookie
Something that would be interesting, buuuut I doubt they'd do it. Is that they'd replace Lucas outright with the Masked Man. With new moves based on his beamsword, PK Thunder, cannon and energy wings...

BUT in a story mode, it would be revealed that the Masked Man... is a brainwashed Lucas! So Masked Man would have an alternate Costume (like Wario) on Lucas original appearence. Unusual but risky. :S

grizby2

Smash Lord
Something that would be interesting, buuuut I doubt they'd do it. Is that they'd replace Lucas outright with the Masked Man. With new moves based on his beamsword, PK Thunder, cannon and energy wings...

BUT in a story mode, it would be revealed that the Masked Man... is a brainwashed Lucas! So Masked Man would have an alternate Costume (like Wario) on Lucas original appearence. Unusual but risky. :S
so we can have a "masked man" in smash. im ok with that idea if its only in the story, kinda like what they did with R.O.B. i think it'd be a tad too much if they scraped lucas alltogether.

not such a bad idea for a story plot.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
I wonder if Defense Up could work as a Down-Special for Lucas... think of it like a combination of Project M's Offense Up and Bowser's armor properties, you charge, then get light armor whenever you perform a Smash Attack, though the armor properties disappear if you miss and have a chance to fail at high percentages, where failure is proportional to damage percentage.

Would stacking it with Offense Up might be OP, though, would it?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
PK Teleport Up B would be the best thing ever. Both for Lucas and Ness. Also, they could both have a PK Flash for Neutral B, but please change Side B PK Fire for both. I don't really care how iconic it has become. Maybe make it PK Paralysis for Ness though? It could look and function the same as PK Fire, but with paralysing effects.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I liked PK Thunder for it's extremely useful power.
Ness should keep PK Thunder, but maybe not Lucas.
I rather Lucas keep PK Thunder, I found his better.
Ness, hence learning PSI teleport would have that.
Ness should have PSI rockin instead of Flash
Lucas should have flash since he gets it from story development in Thunder Tower.
Lucas' side special should be PK Freeze.
Ness keep magnet, because they have the side smashes deflecting projectiles, already. So no Counter for either
Lucas should have offense up as down special.
Lucas should have Love as Neutral special.
Final Smash for Lucas is PK ground
While for Ness Star-storm
The Verdict: Only Specials need to change to diversify and boost the PSI kids

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I rather Lucas keep PK Thunder, I found his better.
Ness, hence learning PSI teleport would have that.
Ness should have PSI rockin instead of Flash
Lucas should have flash since he gets it from story development in Thunder Tower.
Lucas' side special should be PK Freeze.
Ness keep magnet, because they have the side smashes deflecting projectiles, already. So no Counter for either
Lucas should have offense up as down special.
Lucas should have Love as Neutral special.
Final Smash for Lucas is PK ground
While for Ness Star-storm
The Verdict: Only Specials need to change to diversify and boost the PSI kids

I agree with all of those things up until Lucas losing his down+B. I love that thing! Killing enemies with it when it turns off is by far my favorite way to KO in Brawl. Heh. Oh man, people hate that. "What the f*** just happened?! Does that thing hurt people? F***!!!"

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I agree with all of those things up until Lucas losing his down+B. I love that thing! Killing enemies with it when it turns off is by far my favorite way to KO in Brawl. Heh. Oh man, people hate that. "What the f*** just happened?! Does that thing hurt people? F***!!!"
I like the down special, too, I'm just using what other people say mixed with my opinion

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't really like Offense Up because I don't really like specials that encourage players to distance themselves from the fray and charge up attacks while everyone else actually plays the game. I mean, I'd use it like crazy and it sounds great... but it's not my first choice for a move. I do like the thought of PK Freeze getting changed though and adding a freeze effect to his side B.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I think both Lucas's and ness's psi magnet need a big make-over. (assuming lucas makes it in, ness too but I mean come on folks..)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think both Lucas's and ness's psi magnet need a big make-over. (assuming lucas makes it in, ness too but I mean come on folks..)

Aww, I like it. Are you thinking that Lucas's psi magnet should also draw in enemies (like an actual magnet)? I'd enjoy that, give me even more magnet KOs.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Aww, I like it. Are you thinking that Lucas's psi magnet should also draw in enemies (like an actual magnet)? I'd enjoy that, give me even more magnet KOs.
SURE! lol
maybe even make ness's have some type of hitting mechanism.
better yet, psi magnet steals PP~
^^^samux tried her beam shot!, but she doesn't have enough PP!^^^ :troll:

grizby2

Smash Lord
playing Earthbound again. Ness is such an emotionless bad*** compared to lucas.

more people connect with lucas more so than they do with Ness. maybe that's his edge for getting in smash 4. :smirk:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
playing Earthbound again. Ness is such an emotionless bad*** compared to lucas.

more people connect with lucas more so than they do with Ness. maybe that's his edge for getting in smash 4. :smirk:
Yea, the best going for Ness, in comparison for similarities with people is looks and baseball. Lucas on the other hand has many things going for him when relating to yourself. Even I'm really much like Lucas.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Something makes me think he'll not be showing up for SSB4.

Although I'd love to see a larger cast of characters be included in the latest installment of Smash, I'd rather have Lucas clear up .5 of a roster spot for a newcomer.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Something makes me think he'll not be showing up for SSB4.

Although I'd love to see a larger cast of characters be included in the latest installment of Smash, I'd rather have Lucas clear up .5 of a roster spot for a newcomer.
Seriously again, Mother 3 is the best representation of the Mother series. Lucas is not going anywhere.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i liked lucas in brawl
I was better with him than with ness because of his differences

Plason

Smash Rookie
I loved Lucas in brawl, and the mother franchise... would be sad if he didn't make the cut... Wish they'd just confirm him and / or Ness already (Not seeing him in roster makes me feel uneasy)
although, they should tweak his move set a bit too :S.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I swear if they cut Lucas from SSB4 I will spam hate mail to Nintendo.
If they remove all Mother chars from SSB4 I will do something much worse.

If they do make it, one thing Nintendo would've (and should've) learned by now is to NOT mess with grab releases.

As for the moveset, I'm pretty happy with his ground moves but he needs less crappy grabs and Uair/Dthrow knockback should be buffed (keep the pummel rate though, lol). Bair's sweetspot should include his whole foot, and I wouldn't mind a but more range on his aerials.

I would prefer Zap Jump and Magnet Pull to be kept, or at least some other way for Lucas to recover safely, because if it's dropped, that could mean much worse matchups than before, especially against characters like Game+Watch and Ness, but if they don't do this I would at least want the Rope Snake's range to be enlarged.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I never heard of Lucas until SSBB, but I happen to play best with his character. However, Ness has been on the roster since the N64 version, and I really don't want to see clones in the next game, so maybe make Ness more like Lucas (giving his down special a shock to enemies when you let it go maybe, and make Ness' side special more like Lucas') and give Lucas a new special move set? IDK. Whatever happens with Ness and Lucas, I can't wait to see it.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Keep PK Fire and preferably Wavezap.
I think Neutral-B could probably be Brainshock Ω used to stun the opponent, but that's Kumatora's move and Offense/Defense Up seem too unorthodox and stuff like Lifeup and Healing etc. would be too broken. Lucas has PK Love but Usmash sorta took that and PK Flash is already taken by Ness.

We could explore PSI Shield and Shield or PSI Counter and Counter but these moves would be more suited to the Down-B and PSI Magnet is still too good.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Keep PK Fire and preferably Wavezap.
I think Neutral-B could probably be Brainshock Ω used to stun the opponent, but that's Kumatora's move and Offense/Defense Up seem too unorthodox and stuff like Lifeup and Healing etc. would be too broken. Lucas has PK Love but Usmash sorta took that and PK Flash is already taken by Ness.

We could explore PSI Shield and Shield or PSI Counter and Counter but these moves would be more suited to the Down-B and PSI Magnet is still too good.

I actually like the idea of offense up/defense up. In Project M (a hack of Brawl that rebalances and redesigns characters a bit), Lucas has Offense Up as one of his specials, which increases the power of his next Smash Attack. Defense Up could potentially negate the next hit dealt to him, perhaps.

It's unorthodox, yeah, but it's pretty unique.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I actually like the idea of offense up/defense up. In Project M (a hack of Brawl that rebalances and redesigns characters a bit), Lucas has Offense Up as one of his specials, which increases the power of his next Smash Attack. Defense Up could potentially negate the next hit dealt to him, perhaps.

It's unorthodox, yeah, but it's pretty unique.
Well what special slot did Offense Up take? Cuz I'm thinking replace it with Lifeup and Lucas becomes top tier. Shield or Counter that could work like Marth's, or Refresh and restore like 1% every few seconds?

Also replace the Rope Snake with the Shield Snatcher and give it extra shield damage or make it bypass shields.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well what special slot did Offense Up take? Cuz I'm thinking replace it with Lifeup and Lucas becomes top tier. Shield or Counter that could work like Marth's, or Refresh and restore like 1% every few seconds?

Also replace the Rope Snake with the Shield Snatcher and give it extra shield damage or make it bypass shields.
Offense Up replaces PK Freeze as his N-Special, but in turn PK Freeze replaces PK Fire as Side-Special but still functions like PK Fire. I personally think it's a great way to differ him from Ness.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Lucas in Project M is awesome beyond belief, especially in the latest demo where both his bair and Dair are now their vBrawl versions again. I'd be perfectly satisfied ifnSakurai completely copied him from there.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah, just don't change Lucas, man. Him and Ivysaur are who I kill people with. And they're perfect just the way they are.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, just don't change Lucas, man. Him and Ivysaur are who I kill people with. And they're perfect just the way they are.

Ivysaur is perfect? Huh. I don't think I've ever seen footage of a good Ivysaur player... I originally really wanted to get good with Ivysaur but I found the character to be super awkward.

I wouldn't mind seeing PK Freeze going away, even though I do like using it in larger battles. I would be super sad to see his down B or up B change for the worse... I love KOing people with those.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Down and Up B should definitely kept. If he and Ness need to be decloned at all, it should be Ness who gets changes to those moves, seeing as his are generally less useful, and IMO he has much better candidates from his own games to replace them than Lucas does. The only change Lucas should get to those is a JC on Down B so he can have a pseudo shine. Having played with that for a long time in PM, I can definitely say that it adds a ton to his game in terms of pressure and combos. Because it has actual startup, unlike a spacie shine, it's still balanced.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Ivysaur is perfect? Huh. I don't think I've ever seen footage of a good Ivysaur player... I originally really wanted to get good with Ivysaur but I found the character to be super awkward.

I wouldn't mind seeing PK Freeze going away, even though I do like using it in larger battles. I would be super sad to see his down B or up B change for the worse... I love KOing people with those.

Alright, maybe Ivy's not PERFECT, but I think just take away fatigue and forced switching and it would be.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i find the project m ivysaur much easier to play with.
love that solar beam

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I love both Ness and Lucas I hope Sakurai doesn't cut Lucas because I can see Ness staying because he's one of the original. Seriously Sakurai Ik it's a pain to you to cut characters but just keep Lucas and Ness in plz >.< and give Lucas a different moveset like using PK Love or something (never played Earthbound/Mother D:) but still don't cut them..........there awesome!

Top Bottom