• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

NJ_Gamer

Smash Rookie
I think Lucas is a good character but as this series has only 3 games, 2 of which never left Japan including his own, I think one rep is enough, especially since Metroid only technically has one

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I think Lucas is a good character but as this series has only 3 games, 2 of which never left Japan including his own, I think one rep is enough, especially since Metroid only technically has one
but Lucas represents the part of the series Ness doesn't represent, the mother series as a whole, not just Earthbound, and who's to say, Metroid won't get another rep, this game, Lucas is much safer than Wolf or Toon Link personally.

grizby2

Smash Lord
but Lucas represents the part of the series Ness doesn't represent, the mother series as a whole, not just Earthbound, and who's to say, Metroid won't get another rep, this game, Lucas is much safer than Wolf or Toon Link personally.
ya, to an extent, japan's heart has a special place for lucas.

concerning his safety for the next game, id day he'll still return. anyone saying that ness and lucas are clones needs to play the characters before they speak, as its been proven time and time again that they are NOT clones at all.

off topic: wolf in danger? aside from a couple of his specials and FS, hes a completely different character. (I swear, people don't turn on their wii's at ALL)

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Dude Smash isn't American-centric, the game is made by Japanese.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
If Sakurai loves the Mother series then all I can say is add Lucas back and give him a new moveset :D seriously if you love the series keep both Lucas and Ness in xD :lucas:Lucas is awesome *0*

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If Sakurai loves the Mother series then all I can say is add Lucas back and give him a new moveset :D seriously if you love the series keep both Lucas and Ness in xD Lucas is awesome *0*
Personally, most of his moveset is fine, they may have the same specials and FS in looks, but they perform very differently, It could have changes, but either for me it's fine, as long as he has PKT, and he plays similar to Brawl.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Lucas moveset to make him different from Ness:

Neutral B remains PK Freeze
Side B is PK Grond. He shoots a small amount of PK energy and it has a quake hitbox (like DK's down b) when it hits the ground.
Up B is PK Teleport. He runs and suddenly appears in another location.
Down B is PK Offense Up, works like Project M
Final Smash is PK Love, he releases a lot of hearts that damage enemies.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Then that should be fixed by giving Metroid another rep.

You can't really compare Metroid and Mother. Metroid has a static cast, i.e. the main characters are the same for each game (in Metroid's case you can probably only count Samus as a main character), whereas Mother's is fluid, i.e. there's mostly are totally different cast for each game (each Mother game has a different set of protagonists). Metroid deserves a second rep, due to how big and popular the series is, but in terms of representing the series adequately it doesn't need one since Samus alone represents the whole series. Mother on the other hand needs at least two characters from different games to represent the entire series adequately, if we only had Ness then only Mother 2 would be getting represented rather than the series as a whole. In theory we should have Ninten to represent the first of the three games as well, but that would be overkill, having Ness and Lucas representing Mother 2 and 3 works well in terms of representing the series itself, especially since they're the two most popular games in the series.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Lucas moveset to make him different from Ness:

Neutral B remains PK Freeze
Side B is PK Grond. He shoots a small amount of PK energy and it has a quake hitbox (like DK's down b) when it hits the ground.
Up B is PK Teleport. He runs and suddenly appears in another location.
Down B is PK Offense Up, works like Project M
Final Smash is PK Love, he releases a lot of hearts that damage enemies.
The only problems I have with this Teleport isn't even in Lucas' game, and his PK Thunder is different enough from Ness. Also, maybe keep PK fire and Project M it by making it Freeze. If you want it to be more different you could make PK Freeze, Love, and changing the FS to ground.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
The only problems I have with this Teleport isn't even in Lucas' game, and his PK Thunder is different enough from Ness. Also, maybe keep PK fire and Project M it by making it Freeze. If you want it to be more different you could make PK Freeze, Love, and changing the FS to ground.
I think it's better to leave the Final Smash as PK Love because it is Luca's signature attack, like Ness's PK Rockin. For Lucas's Up B, it could remain PK Thunder, and Ness gets Teleport.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Japan didn't like him cause they thought his game was too emotional to just throw him into a stage to get punched by Donkey Kong and most people everywhere else didn't even know him. I think his chances are slim...

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
Yeah with Toon Link back, Lucas is no doubt returning. Project M Lucas is really great, but we know Sakurai is probably going to make him play the same as in Brawl. Unless Sakurai has drawn inspiration from Project M.

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Lucas will return, I wouldn't make radical changes to moveset but I might give him some new special moves.

New Special Moves:

Up B: Brainshock
Final Smash: PK Love

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
He didn't even have Brainshock, and how is that supposed to be a recovery move? Just leave his PK Thunder untouched and that would be good...
FS should be PK Love though.

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
He didn't even have Brainshock, and how is that supposed to be a recovery move? Just leave his PK Thunder untouched and that would be good...
FS should be PK Love though.
According to your comment on Brainshock, Ness and Lucas borrow moves from their sidekicks and how I am making this a recovery by levitating with shocking energy like this:

And thanks for liking PK Love

grizby2

Smash Lord
if you're talking about how the yeti looks, the yeti was drawn so that it looks like hes in mid-jump, its just the artwork is all. Psi brainshock doesn't actually levitate things, it confuses them.
id be totally open to the idea of ness getting mewtwo's down-B though. :upsidedown:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think it's better to leave the Final Smash as PK Love because it is Luca's signature attack, like Ness's PK Rockin. For Lucas's Up B, it could remain PK Thunder, and Ness gets Teleport.
That's the thing.
I would despise Lucas forever if he STOLE a move from Ness. Ness's moveset is classic, and shouldn't be touched, only buffed or nerfed depending on the move.
Lucas is a newer character, he shouldn't be taking Ness's moves from him only for Ness to have a signature move of his replaced. Nope, I would hate it.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
That's the thing.
I would despise Lucas forever if he STOLE a move from Ness. Ness's moveset is classic, and shouldn't be touched, only buffed or nerfed depending on the move.
Lucas is a newer character, he shouldn't be taking Ness's moves from him only for Ness to have a signature move of his replaced. Nope, I would hate it.
Yea, but both Lucas and Ness players alike want little changes with their character's move-set, since even though Lucas is a semi-clone, his moves work differently and would be sad to dissappear. Ness has the move-set people liked since the first smash. I would be fine with aesthetic changes with Lucas or Ness' moves though, tbh.

grizby2

Smash Lord
"semi-clone" isn't even close. the two most-identical moves they have are U-air and F-smash (hit-box, utility, and animation-wise).

That's the thing.
exactly!
that's like keeping toon link's recovery and changing adult links recovery... you just don't do that.

Str4y

Smash Cadet
I rather Lucas keep PK Thunder, I found his better.
Ness, hence learning PSI teleport would have that.
Ness should have PSI rockin instead of Flash
Lucas should have flash since he gets it from story development in Thunder Tower.
Lucas' side special should be PK Freeze.
Ness keep magnet, because they have the side smashes deflecting projectiles, already. So no Counter for either
Lucas should have offense up as down special.
Lucas should have Love as Neutral special.
Final Smash for Lucas is PK ground
While for Ness Star-storm
The Verdict: Only Specials need to change to diversify and boost the PSI kids
I would keep psi magnet or switch it to psi counter. I don't like charging. either way, I want lucas to be in the next one or make him Kumatora and then add in the Masked Man.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
well what're you gonna doooo....
by this stage i'd be extremely surprised if lucas doesnt make it. if they have room for toon link i think they can make room for him.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
That's the thing.
Ness' only signature move is PSI Rockin'. That's it.
In any game he's ever been in.... that's the ONE move that he didn't share with anyone else, ever.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ness' only signature move is PSI Rockin'. That's it.
In any game he's ever been in.... that's the ONE move that he didn't share with anyone else, ever.
Super Smash Bros wise though, it would feel very wrong for a character that was in the first game to have moves taken away from him and given to a character who has only been in one game thus far.
I'm not talking Mother wise, I'm saying that I would despise it happening in Smash.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
But to us Mother fans it would actually be more appropriate to give Ness Teleport, as it wasn't even IN Mother 3. If you haven't played Mother then you would feel like PK Thunder was HIS thing, but to us it's Ana, Paula, Poo and Kumatora who we see as the ones that use this move. I know where you're coming from but this is how a lot of people see it. Also Lucas isn't really stealing moves, he got the SAME ones and then Ness' would just be changed.

PK Flash I see slightly more appropriate to Ness, just because I played Earthbound first, but if Lucas got it too I wouldn't mind, because he actually learned the move. If Ness' was changed then that would be unfair, because he learned the move and it's half of his offensive game in Earthbound.

Special moves in Smash should represent their character, and so that is why Teleport would be more fitting to Ness, because he learned it (not PK Thunder) in Earthbound! This is also why people want Ness' FS to be PSI(PK) Rockin' and Lucas' to be PK Love, because they learned it and they should have it, not PK Starstorm, learned by Poo and Kumatora. Zelda doesn't use a sword (in Smash) for a reason, it doesn't represent her in LoZ games.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Also I don't think I did this yet, but this is what I'd like changed:

Up-B: PK Thunder (more controllable than Ness' to represent Mother 3's accuracy)
Side-B: PK Flash (quicker and less powerful than Ness')

Neutral-B: Lifeup/Healing
Lifeup would restore % meter a bit but be really laggy.
Healing could make him immune to statuses like Deku Nuts and stuff for the next 10 seconds or so.
Or you could combine them.

Down-B: Shield and Counter
What Shield would do, is when someone hits it, it lags the opponent out (doubles shield lag or adds 20 to it perhaps) and Counter (which could appear rarely) would reflect an attack back onto the attacker, or the counter could simply explode or something.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Side-B: PK Flash (quicker and less powerful than Ness')

pk freeze is already a less powerful and quicker version of pk flash though. but at least it has an ice property behind it. that little detail saves it from being just "a clone move."

I know lucas doesn't actually learn the move, but they could flesh it out more to make it more interesting, also to set him more apart from ness (which should be the main goal here).

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
But to us Mother fans it would actually be more appropriate to give Ness Teleport, as it wasn't even IN Mother 3. If you haven't played Mother then you would feel like PK Thunder was HIS thing, but to us it's Ana, Paula, Poo and Kumatora who we see as the ones that use this move. I know where you're coming from but this is how a lot of people see it. Also Lucas isn't really stealing moves, he got the SAME ones and then Ness' would just be changed.

PK Flash I see slightly more appropriate to Ness, just because I played Earthbound first, but if Lucas got it too I wouldn't mind, because he actually learned the move. If Ness' was changed then that would be unfair, because he learned the move and it's half of his offensive game in Earthbound.

Special moves in Smash should represent their character, and so that is why Teleport would be more fitting to Ness, because he learned it (not PK Thunder) in Earthbound! This is also why people want Ness' FS to be PSI(PK) Rockin' and Lucas' to be PK Love, because they learned it and they should have it, not PK Starstorm, learned by Poo and Kumatora. Zelda doesn't use a sword (in Smash) for a reason, it doesn't represent her in LoZ games.[/quote]

Even if she actually did held one in one game?

Besides, when was the last time one saw Zelda actually fight in her games on her own? When was the last time she actually used the Goddess Spells?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Yes, she held one in TP, but it doesn't represent her. You don't think of swords when you see Zelda.
She tried to fight with a sword in the opening scene of TP, but surrendered. She didn't actually use the Goddess Spells but Link's specials were already taken and magic is sort of her thing.
pk freeze is already a less powerful and quicker version of pk flash though. but at least it has an ice property behind it. that little detail saves it from being just "a clone move."

I know lucas doesn't actually learn the move, but they could flesh it out more to make it more interesting, also to set him more apart from ness (which should be the main goal here).
He's already a lot different from Ness. He learned PK Flash though, maybe it can just inflict a Deku Nut effect.

grizby2

Smash Lord
He's already a lot different from Ness. He learned PK Flash though, maybe it can just inflict a Deku Nut effect.
well, if it were to inflict a deku nut effect (like the shield-break dizziness), then that might be more along the lines of Brain Shock. I wouldn't mind it, but I don't know how people would react to it, seeing how it mimics mewtwo's Down B special (aside from the obvious projectile control of course).

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
well, if it were to inflict a deku nut effect (like the shield-break dizziness), then that might be more along the lines of Brain Shock. I wouldn't mind it, but I don't know how people would react to it, seeing how it mimics mewtwo's Down B special (aside from the obvious projectile control of course).
He didn't learn Brainshock in Mother 3, and anyway I meant mimicking the effect of actually throwing a Deku Nut, knockback or dizziness, the knockback not so severe though.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I loved Lucas in Brawl. He's still my main! And although Lucas and Ness are great, it's not fully repped. If you can only have Lucas and Ness, you need to have Porky. Porky is the one who connects the two games and they're story. So, in other words, we need Lucas and Porky.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I previously had a decent idea for a different side B for Ness to separate him from Lucas and give him something that he actually used in-game. Here is the idea: I also think it'd be great if Ness got rid of PK Fire for something he actually used in Earthbound like paralysis which could act as a fast, close range projectile that stuns the target for a brief moment which would go well with his close range fighting style.

EDIT: Whoops wrong thread, but you guys get the idea.

Top Bottom