• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Fire followups

the.best.member.ever

Smash Rookie
If you're anything like me, you get really excited when you land a PK fire. Every time, I'm like oh yes oh yes oh yes. The fire does a bunch of damage plus gives a great chance to follow up. My question is this, what do you think is the best way to capitalize on a PK fire?

There are so many options. For me, it depends on what I'm going for. If I'm concerned that my opponent is going to quickly get out of the fire and I'll miss my attack, I tend to go for a dash attack or occasionally a fair. One of my friends is really good at DIing out very quickly and making me miss, but dash almost always hits. If I'm trying to kill I sometimes try for an fsmash, but I've seen videos where people use Bup and rocket into them. Often, when I'm trying to deal damage I go for a grab. This allows me to pummel and hold them in the flame for a bit, then go for a dthrow.

What are your favorites for various situations and against different characters?

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
A PKT2 seems too slow to use. I usually follow up with a fsmash, hyphen smash, or grab > dthrow. The dthrow keeps them in the PK Fire's hitbox and lets me to follow up with an fair at lower percents.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
When I get a PK Fire off, I tend to grab. If I standing-grab and they're over the flames, I pummel and then do whatever. If I dash so that I'd hold them off of the flames, I dthrow to get them with both the PK flames and the dthrow flames.

You mention character-specifics. I use the bat against big, heavy characters (bowser cough cough).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I don't really like the dash attack too much. I go for the grab and dthrow so I can combo, but I also fsmash. At early percents and if you're lucky, you can get off two ftilts while they're trapped, but I stick with the previous responses mostly.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I like to dtilt spam if I land a PKF really close to the opponent.
It gives off like 40%. I end it with a jab to push the opponent away.

Or you can pull a ViceGrip and predict your opponent to roll away from PKF after getting hit, run toward the PKF pillar and follow up with another PKF. Most people roll away from it, so try it. :)

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
It's really character specific imo.

characters with multiple jumps can get out of it easy, so a sh nair or fair is what I'd go for.
Everyone else though I tend to grab, or dash attack. Rarely am i able to get to my opponent in time in order to get a Bat in time.

Now one option, IF theyre really stuck is another pk fire, true. or if they roll away another pkfire. I did that from one side of smashville all the way to the other once against a metaknight, leading to a cazcombo/pillar spike. most satisfying moment in my smash career ever

Uffe

Smash Hero
It depends on your opponent. Just think of some stuff that will could work against your opponent. But please, avoid PKF > PKT2. You'll either hit them or you miss them. If you miss them, you'll probably get punished.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I mostly go for pkf->dthrow->fair(or anything else here), but for heavier/opponents who gets trapped easily, a nice one is to pkf->sh dair. the pkf sometimes causes the enemy to pop up, and this drops the enemy back on the floor. you can even land another one if the pkf lasts long enough x]

the.best.member.ever

Smash Rookie
One option that hasn't been discussed is a second or third pk fire. In this video, at 2:27 Ness does 4 fires for 50% against a low percentage Falco. What has to happen to make this a good option? Is it consistent against any characters at low percentages, or does it only work if your opponent is stupid?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
it should only work if your opponent doesn't know how to DI.
Either that or they don't jump out of it. It's feasible but highly improbable to get an opponent in more than 2 pk fires in a row at this point in brawls career.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
One option that hasn't been discussed is a second or third pk fire. In this video, at 2:27 Ness does 4 fires for 50% against a low percentage Falco. What has to happen to make this a good option? Is it consistent against any characters at low percentages, or does it only work if your opponent is stupid?
already mentioned it, ViceGrip Combo :lick:

PK Fire 3x -> (charged) fsmash

it should only work if your opponent doesn't know how to DI.
Either that or they don't jump out of it. It's feasible but highly improbable to get an opponent in more than 2 pk fires in a row at this point in brawls career.
Vice lands this combo often, and ever since I stole it from him I've been able to do it quite a few times :lick:

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Really? I'd have to see a video to see how It's being done. All the times I see pk fire being used, opponents di out of it quickly so it must be something with the angle/timing.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Really? I'd have to see a video to see how It's being done. All the times I see pk fire being used, opponents di out of it quickly so it must be something with the angle/timing.
well basically, opponents usually DI away to the side. so when they're trying to get out, run up to them. when they get out, have a PK Fire waiting for them. do it again, but this time you're so close you can start charging an fsmash

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
also, too keep opponents stuck in the pkf, its hardest for them to get out when the pkf is in the center of them. so after hitting them with the 1st one, sh pkf into the center of their body to keep them stuck :3

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
interesting. I remember seeing something a while ago, where someone kept running behind the opponent and sh pkfireing. it seems to fit will, since itd keep the opponent mixed in both pkfires on different sides. I just remembered that trick now lol

the.best.member.ever

Smash Rookie
already mentioned it, ViceGrip Combo :lick:

PK Fire 3x -> (charged) fsmash

Vice lands this combo often, and ever since I stole it from him I've been able to do it quite a few times :lick:
I didn't know its name, though I did kind of figure that is what you meant, especially after watching ViceGrip's combo video. It's an awesome combo if you can pull it off. I'm still a bit skeptical. It seems like it would only work at low percentages against certain characters and depending on how well your opponent DIs. I'm definitely going to start experiment with it though. The potential benefits are huge.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Like a pk jumped pkfire into a b reversal. I would use that often, but some people can use a quick aerial between to hit you. It's good to make them di right into the pkfire, but if your opponent dis right and is able to perfect guard or spotdodge, you are wide open for a ton of attacks. It looks cool and it's effective for some characters, but if you mess up (as I do often) you could be in trouble.

Shaky

Smash Ace
I either:

1. Go for a grab if the opponent can't DI and is far away
2. Go for a dair and get a jab lock
3. Go for a full-hop fair if I know they are going to jump out of it

In my opinion, spamming PK Fire after PK Fire is not a good strategy, but I guess everyone has its own ways.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Well, I usually grab (to DThrow or FThrow if the enemy os next to the edge) or FSmash (I rarely hit one of these... )
And I heard Dair is also good for attacking the enemy.

Top Bottom