• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Mirror Shield

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I recall mention of these uses somewhere in this forum, but I haven't been able to locate it since. I have been watching a few videos of various Pit players on this forum, but I have almost never seen non-reflecting uses for the shield. I'm going to describe my ideas of uses of the shield, and I'd like to hear what you think about it in real application.

So the mirror shield is Pit's down-b; it can be whipped out almost immediately, and it has some super armor frames attached to it, though the super armor is not part of this analysis. When the shield is out, it reflects pretty much every projectile, and physical projectiles (bombs, gyros, turnips) will bounce off of it and can still hit the opponent. The reflected gyro in fact becomes yours, and it will stay spinning on the floor to hit the ROB back. The shield is often seen at the beginning of matches versus laser shooting characters, such as Pit, Falco, Fox, ROB.

As many Link players wish the Hylian shield would do, but doesn't, the mirror shield also acts as a physical barrier, being able to block/parry most short range attacks. Some melee attacks sweep over the shield, or somehow are so long that it will "pierce" the shield and still hit Pit behind it. In addition, a dash attack will sometimes be reversed by the mirror shield if spaced properly, causing the dash-attacker to turn around and continue the attack animation, and (unconfirmed) lag a tiny bit more. It can be possible to edgeguard fox/falco recoveries by reflecting it in the opposite direction, as well as any other forward moving recovery.

Okay, so the above has been pretty obvious, and useful here and there. Here are applications of the mirror shield that I have been experimenting with and have found useful in mindgame applications.

1) When Pit is falling from above, there are some characters with very good aerials that can abuse Pit's lack of priority in the air while falling down. Unless from an arc of 90 degrees below Pit, the mirror shield can actually cover and repel some of the attacks. Notable attacks that can be deflected would be G&W's bair turtle, TL's bair, ROBs Nair, and other powerful aerials.
2) Pit can wiggle pretty interestingly while falling from above while in mirror shield mode. I don't have any data on whether his DI is better while shielding (sometimes feels like it), but he can wiggle left and right pretty well. Interestingly, even after he lands, he can still slide a teeny bit. If he's near the edge of a stage, he can simply slip off and try to grab the ledge again. That sounds like its useless, but in fact, some players won't expect it and I have actually had people chase after me while I quickly grabbed the ledge. I scored a couple of lucky bairs that then knocked them off from the screen.

3) Running, charging, or jumping at someone as if to do an attack, and then shielding right in front of them. Many melee-range encounters include both players trying to hit each other first, whether by priority or better timing. By timing the shield well, it throws off the opponents attack timing and rhythm.
4) Samuses and Lucarios like to blast off their big beams when someone is dashing at them (and often rightly so), but an intended mirror shield can punish them well.
5) Running mirror shields sometimes draw laggy tilts/smashes from the opponents that will be ineffective. If timed well, Pit can run in and dash-attack, tilt, or smash in his own right.

6) Dash dancing into "random" mirror shield is an interesting application. Dash dancing seems to encourage some opponents to just throw lasers and projectiles at you. Successfully reflecting them will partially discourage your opponent from abusing their projectile game at you.

That's it for now. I think many of these ideas probably crossed the minds of many Pit players, but I've had some varying degrees of success with these uses. I especially feel that good application of the physical mirror shield is very useful vs. Pit's harder matchups (G&W, MK, etc.) because Pit's lower priority means that he needs to out-think and "bluff"/feint his opponent.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I use the Mirror Shield regularly during my matches. Sometimes it gets me hit, sometimes it really pays off. Even if this doesn't work as an advantage it does factor in as a subtle mindgame. All-in-all it's got plenty of uses, however if your opponent knows that he/she can puncture the Mirror Shield and they catch you in it, it's pretty hard to come out of it and defend quick enough to save your hide. Just a heads up.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk if u were talking about this thread that i posted.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168411

Anyway i use pits mirror shield alot. Ive been getting pretty good at reflecting ikes Up special, which for me was really hard to get use to. I also use it constantly in the air as a defense, just because its really easy to mind game someone into using an air dodge then punishing them after they get out of it. Its really useful to flip around dash attacks, just because of the natural lag of a dash attack, though im not sure if they lag more. I see sort of like mario's cape, but less likely to reflect but more likely to actually defend you. Its a great recovery method, like 1 or 2 arrows followed by some shield hopping to get back to the stage.

Im not sure how u guys play pit. But for me, his real strength is his ability to gimp peoples recoveries. By chasing them down with a wing renewal, edge hogging, arrows, mirror shield reflects, and just his serious off the stage air game, which most characters cant do.

Side note:
Im also wondering if u guys experience people constantly suiciding trying to kill you. It happens to me atleast once every 2 to 3 matches. Doesnt matter how good or bad they are.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
Idk if u were talking about this thread that i posted.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168411

Anyway i use pits mirror shield alot. Ive been getting pretty good at reflecting ikes Up special, which for me was really hard to get use to. I also use it constantly in the air as a defense, just because its really easy to mind game someone into using an air dodge then punishing them after they get out of it. Its really useful to flip around dash attacks, just because of the natural lag of a dash attack, though im not sure if they lag more. I see sort of like mario's cape, but less likely to reflect but more likely to actually defend you. Its a great recovery method, like 1 or 2 arrows followed by some shield hopping to get back to the stage.

Im not sure how u guys play pit. But for me, his real strength is his ability to gimp peoples recoveries. By chasing them down with a wing renewal, edge hogging, arrows, mirror shield reflects, and just his serious off the stage air game, which most characters cant do.

Side note:
Im also wondering if u guys experience people constantly suiciding trying to kill you. It happens to me atleast once every 2 to 3 matches. Doesnt matter how good or bad they are.
lol i dont play anyone good the people i play dont even try and edgeguard lol.

Link_blade_master17

Smash Cadet
really PIT in my opinion is only good gor three things.
1 Recovery
2 Attack range
3 F-smash

he has avrage speed and he is kind of a lighter character so its eaiser to knock him off the edge.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
1 Recovery
2 Attack range
3 F-smash

he has avrage speed and he is kind of a lighter character so its eaiser to knock him off the edge.
go back to link forums please. i mean really u shudnt be talking link got beat by a clone of himself lol

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
1 Recovery
2 Attack range
3 F-smash

haha WOW coming from a mainer of one of the most nerfed characters in brawl.... so what then in your opinion is link good for cause i can think of three things

1 tether
2 wide variety of projectiles (too bad all can be reflected by pit or stopped early by pits arrows)
3 I lied i cant actually think of three good things about link

haha sorry bout the flame but even my die hard link fan friend switched mains when he saw what they had done to him in brawl

dont get me wrong i love his game, i beat twilight princess nearly 100%, but in brawl hes jsut not taht good

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Weird the 2 things he posted that he think are good about pit are the things i think he isnt great at. FSmash is nice and all but its pretty weak, with like such little attack range.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
F smash has two hits though and does 20 damage which is pretty good for racking damage and has decent knock back so i agree on that part, and by attack range i think he might mean arrows since they can hit anywhere on the map, but if not then i dunno what hes talking about either

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
While I love Link (he's my first main before Pit), this is a thread about the mirror shield and the mindgames. None of this "nerfed" and good/bad stuff here.

But since we're talking about Link, the mirror shield is very handy since almost all Link's will need to projectile spam versus Pit. Pit's arrows slows and stops Link a lot, but Link's bombs and Zair can do a lot to Pit too. Knowing when to reflect the gale and when to just shield the gale is important, because you'll affect Link's positioning by pushing him back, or not.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well it only happened to me once but, when link uses his gale boomerang as he is trying to recover u can simply reflect it back at him and hes probably dead if it hits him at all. Ive also killed links just by reflecting it when he is near the edge. Most links plan ahead and try to use the return of the boomerang to set up smashes, so since they are charging smashes, the knock back of the boomerang can sometimes kill a link who isnt ready for it.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
the link main never responds lol w/e back on topic mirror shielding recoveriees is good blah blah but its hard i cant do it =(

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Here ill tell you how to reflect ike. Stand atleast 1 pit length away from where u think his sword is gonna spin to, and as soon as u see it, jump into and put up ur shield. If you time it right before you hit, it will reflect him to his doom. I have a replay where i got it to work once if you wanna see it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
While I love Link (he's my first main before Pit), this is a thread about the mirror shield and the mindgames. None of this "nerfed" and good/bad stuff here.

But since we're talking about Link, the mirror shield is very handy since almost all Link's will need to projectile spam versus Pit. Pit's arrows slows and stops Link a lot, but Link's bombs and Zair can do a lot to Pit too. Knowing when to reflect the gale and when to just shield the gale is important, because you'll affect Link's positioning by pushing him back, or not.
...Link doesn't need to projectile spam anymore. He can be played offensively now, especially since his sword both outprioritizes and outranges nearly all of Pit's moves.

Also, I've been able to mid-air jump with the shield on each jump at the start until the finish, effectively being a "moving wall." It's probably useless, but fun if you want to be flashy.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
...Link doesn't need to projectile spam anymore. He can be played offensively now, especially since his sword both outprioritizes and outranges nearly all of Pit's moves.

Also, I've been able to mid-air jump with the shield on each jump at the start until the finish, effectively being a "moving wall." It's probably useless, but fun if you want to be flashy.
Kitamerby, can you explain the approach you would use versus a Pit with Link? Or show through a video of yours? Playing both characters competitively, I'm not sure what you really mean.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
You all could've handled that Link guy a little nicer then that...

Anyway we're getting pulled off topic here. I'm just going to say that Pit is a MIDDLE WEIGHT character and is one of the faster characters in the game.

Now please, if you want to make a topic about why Pit isn't very good on why his match-up against Link isn't very good make a thread for it. It has no business in a discussion about Mirror Shield applications.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
sorry haha, where hav eyou been Undr? havent seen you post in a while sorry this didnt do much to get back on topic either

so to be on topic.... pits mirror shield = epic
thats all you need to know haha

Top Bottom