• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Pit's matchup discussion: Meta Knight. [Important]

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Air release to Arrow works too. Pretty much rack up damage, And pummel when you grab him to force him to mash out. Then Dash attack obv. This match-up is dumb I'll edit this post later when Im not tired.

"It can help you out in a pinch, especially if your shield is low and your opponents don't grab much ^__^. And yes, you can Protect Pit from the Lava Wall in Norfair with Mirror Shield. Although, it only lasts for a while, so you can't stay in there for ever. It's really simple to do ^__^."

3 times max. Then you'll take like 22% or something, But once you protect your self you'll be invul from the lava, for like 2.5 seconds.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Yeah XD. You really only should use it in an emergency, for example, if you can react fast enough when you're thrown to the lava wall, try to Mirror Shield it. You'll probably get out, or probably not. But it is useful to know... Even though it doesn't do much XD.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
this is definately one of pits hardest match ups. since i dont get to check the forums as often as id like ill just post all i know and see if you guys find anything useful.

1st Pit 1:01 at close quarters love thy jab combo and it will be good to you. you can land it inbetween his d-tilt spam and his f-tilt consistently. punishing things with jab also keeps your smashes fresh. just be patient with its lower damage. another thing i like to do is space myself so that he is just out of his hitting range and shoot a close quarters arrow and then go for a grab.

against nado even if you manage to get hit by it you can DI upwards and punish his landing with an aerial or if your positioned right a smash, jab or tilt. also WOI under the stage works perfectly fine as long as you're smart about it. make sure to do it when they can't get you (i.e. they chase you off ledge) then go for it. it sets you up far away enough to start your camping game.

most important thing about camping is time your arrow shots differently so that they mess up their sheilding. if an mk tries to play the ledge camp game against you put your back towards the edge and loop your arrows just below the lip. he will be forced to approach.

mirror sheild can be suprisingly useful. metaknight has so much range that when he is trying to rush you and start one of his stupid strings you can mirror sheild pretty much any attack of his and punish with an arrow. dont make this a predictable habbit tho or you will get grabbed. alot.

1st Pit 13:07 love thy u-air! at stages like battlefield, delphino, smashville, halberd, pretty much any place with a platform you can use the platform to stop d-air camping and punish with u-air. by staying under the platform you are limiting metaknights ability to d-air camp you. if you know he will try to fall through and d-air just sheild grab him and get him back up there. and then when they get close a well timed u-air to get them away from you so you can then camp.

another thing i like to do is short hop>f-air>fast fall the sweet spot over meta's dsmash. lots of metaknights like to abuse this move. and its no wonder they do; it is almost instantaneous, hits both sides, has good knock back and good damage if both hits get you. if you are at a high percentage it is almost guarenteed that the metaknight will try to either mindgame you and just walk up and d-smash you or they will use out of no-where or so it seems. using this against metaknights that you know will d-smash allows you to hit them before they can do another one and because they are hit a good distance away you can then start to pelt them with your blue arrows of doom. now a verse from 2nd Pit 12:17.

blessed is thy reverse grab! it can catch metaknight out of things that are normally annoying. for example, reverse grabbing meta out of *****nado works wonders if you can do it consistently. it can also catch him out of: glide, drillrush, running attack, and funnily enough his running grab.

another thing that i feel should i should discuss is metaknights short hopped f-air approach. ive seen alot of people just sit there and let themselves get screwed by this when all you have to do about it (and pretty much any other melee based approach) is just jump or move backwards and shoot an arrow at him. because he is in the air and attacking he cant do **** about it.

7th Pit 19:67 if you hit with one arrow you may as well shoot 2 or 3 arrows. if he consistently blocks them then switch up. but if he doesnt then your just getting free damage.

well, aside from dont get shuttle looped, dont get grabbed, dont be within range, dont be off the stage, dont be on the stage, dont be pit, and acknowledge metaknight as the only actual character in brawl and realize that everyone else just sucks when compared to him so thus everyone else is just trash waiting to be disposed of.... Wait... oh ya i mean the mu is anything but easy but play it smart and you can still beat him.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
this is definately one of pits hardest match ups. since i dont get to check the forums as often as id like ill just post all i know and see if you guys find anything useful.
1st Pit 1:01 at close quarters love thy jab combo and it will be good to you. if you can land it inbetween his d-tilt spam and his f-tilt consistently then you don't have to worry to much about saving your smashes because you wont be using them enough to stale them. even though it does little damage i jab meta evey chance i get. another thing i like to do is space myself so that he is just out of his hitting range and shoot a close quarters arrow and then go for a grab. against nado even if you manage to get hit by it you can DI upwards and punish his landing with an aerial or if your positioned right a smash. recovering with mirror is also a tactic i use. also WOI under the stage works perfectly fine as long as you're smart about it. obviously dont go for it if they can get there first but if you make sure to do it when they can't (i.e. they chase you off ledge) then go for it. it sets you up far away enough to start your camping game. most important thing about camping is time your arrow shots differently so that they mess up their sheilding. if you can arrow loop then there is no reason for an mk to play the ledge camp game against you. put your back to the edge and loop it to hit just below the lip. he will come to you and from there you can try to camp him and predict his movements. making it seem like you are looping an arrow is a great mindgame but only if your looping game is good enough to worry them.
mirror sheild can be suprisingly useful if your not stupid with it. metaknight has so much range that when he is trying to rush you and start one of his stupid strings you can mirror sheild pretty much any attack of his and punish with an arrow. dont make this a predictable habbit tho or you will be getting grabbed and nothing sucks more than being at a good MKs directional mercy.
1st Pit 13:07 love thy u-air! it will serve you faithfully and effectively at stages like battlefield, delphino, smashville, halberd, pretty much any place with a platform that you can use to stop d-air camping. in fact when playing mk i always try to play at a stage like smashville or halberd. by staying under the platform you are limiting metaknights ability to d-air camp you at that moment. at halberd metaknights with to much faith in their d-air will try to d-air camp you through the platform. then once they realize the mistake they have made it is to late. if i can get a mk above me with a platform in between me and him i am the happiest i can be in that match. if you know he will try to fall through and d-air just sheild grab him and get him back up there. there is nothing like shooting meta from the bottom through platforms to just irritate them into make a mistake. and then when they get close a well timed u-air to get them away from you so you can then camp.
at very low percents i do a little string that racks up about 30%+ and i find that it works (if only because something like this is unnexpected if you dont do it more than once or twice per match). be it because it is narbish and unnexpected or a stroke of genius, ive gotten away with this on metaknights at tournaments plenty of times. it is simply f-throw to get closer then do side-b to a follow up of which the most effective are listed below. this combo forces them to DI either infront or behind you. now if you can tell which way they will DI it on the first life there is a good chance they will do it the same on the next life. due to this it becomes possible to do 3 things. after they DI and you have allowed it so you are not caught up in the side specials lag, they are now either in front of you or behind you. i find that the most effective follow up either way is to grab again no matter which side they went to. other follow ups infront/behind are:
infront. assuming things went correctly they are in front of you because they messed up there DI going behind and were forced to go back through the main hit boxes and do more damage. i usually try to get in another grab be it just a standing grab or run behind and reverse grab them. you can also buffer a f-smash or a hyphen smash. and if you want to get a little nutty you can angelic step out of into any tilt or smash.
behind. if they were able to DI behind the first time then you have only two safe(er) options. the safest and usually most effective thing to do here is to then short hop away from them and then shoot an arrow back at them (be it reverse-b or bringing it out and then turning it around so that you get a little charge before firing it off at them). the other safe option (tho albeit not as safe as the first) is to immediately turn around and grab them. if you know they happen to react a special way to it you can try a smash or something else but missing leaves you wide open and grabs allow for better zoning and spacing.
another thing i like to do is short hop>f-air>fast fall the sweet spot over meta's dsmash. lots of metaknights like to abuse this move. and its not wonder they do; it is almost instantaneous, hits both sides, has good knock back and good damage if both hits get you. if you are at a high percentage it is almost guarenteed that the metaknight will try to either mindgame you and just walk up and d-smash you or they will use out of no-where or so it seems. using this against metaknights that you know will d-smash allows you to hit them before they can do another one and because they are hit a good distance away you can then start to pelt them with your blue arrows of doom.
lastly i leave you with a verse from 2nd Pit 12:17.
blessed is thy reverse grab! with range almost the equivilent of marths it can bring you only happiness and satisfaction. it can catch metaknight out stupid things that are normally annoying. for example, reverse grabbing meta out of whorenado works wonders if you can do it consistently. it can also catch him out of: glide, glide attack, drillrush, running attack, and funnily enough his running grab. doing this consistently tho requires that you not always punish with it so that you may bait him into it later in the match.
another thing that i feel should i should discuss is metaknights short hopped f-air approach. ive seen alot of people just sit there and let themselves get screwed by this when all you have to do about it (and pretty much any other melee based approach) is just jump or move backwards and shoot an arrow at him. either he will sheild it which gives you plenty of different options based on how close you two are.
7th Pit 19:67 if ye be gonna take the time to shoot an arrow at him as punishment for whiffin something or because thats particular way you are spacing him you may as well shoot 2 or 3 arrows. if he consistently blocks them then quit doing it. but if he doesnt then your just getting free damage. and if there is one thing i love its getting free damage on someone.
well, aside from dont get shuttle looped, dont get grabbed, dont be within range, dont be off the stage, dont be on the stage, dont be pit, and acknowledge metaknight as the only actual character in brawl and realize that everyone else just sucks when compared to him so thus everyone else is just trash waiting to be disposed of.... Wait... oh ya i mean the things ive said have worked for me against plenty of mk's so if you disagree with anything that ive said thats fine. it just means we have a different view point on this particular mu. btw this is my first post on the pit boards so dont go to hard if this sucked and correct me if im flat out wrong pls.
Its too long seperate them better

pulse131

Smash Ace
If theres one thing i know about this MU, its baiting. punishing you opponent is one of the biggest and more important aspects of winning, and against mk its all the more harder, so lets get started.
retreating(grounded) b reversal works GREAT against mk(that goes for wolf as well ;p).
if mk is within a third or so of the stage of you, thats when you want to switch strategies to safe/aggressive depending on your opponent.
if you see your opponent jumping, pop up and bair can be good suprise hit, id say fair but it startsup a little slow. jab/jab cancel is a Godsend(yes, i went there). mk can upb out of the jab cancel tho, so lookout for that and if theyve done it before, be ready with your shield (R/L or downb).
if mk is gliding above/towards you, uair/nair him. remember, multihit moves > glide/glide atk(although not so much against other pits o.o). if you shield or dodge an up b and hes gliding away from you to escape, unless he's in range for a quick aerial dont try to punish with anything besides a simple arrow, maybe a jab cancel.
if you rock with the whole looping thing, make him wish he wasnt planking. if hes just kickin it on the edge you can hit his hang with an arrow. if he like to upb/neutral b.side b onto the stage, mirror that ****er to death.
generally when going under the stage to the other side, pit ***** mk in speed. if he follows you just mirror his recovery.
most mk's (aka offline competetive most brawl players) think ftilt/dtilt along with dsmash/fsmash on the ground and all aerials just **** pit. well, their right. im not 100% sure on this, but im pretty sure when landing any perfectly spaced aerial cannot be punished to a lethal extent. meaning the mk shouldnt be able to dsmash/upb before you have a chance to roll away/shield, etc. mk wants you above him, its your ground game thats going to win. so when you start to get in range with him when falling down towards the stage that although your options are severely limited, try your hardest to pick up on whatever your opponent tends to do when you land. its critical that you find a method around his douche grab and anti erotic aerials. do not air dodge/sidestep constantly, granted this is what you should do when you actually see the attack, but NOT whenever you get hit, its very predictable, very punishable, and mk of all people molests your poor angelic soul harder then most. dont throw out wild or pointless attacks, if it cant possibly hit him, dont throw it out there unless you know he cant hit you.

proper punishing: (oys-on your shield)

dash attack: if he hits with the beginning of it, he'll end up behind you, and you can pretty much reply with anything, turn around grab, jab, smash. if he hits with the end, chances are he can save himself or attack against before you can do anything. make sure your aware of this, very simple make sure your aware of mk's ending lag. generally the mk with dash attack out of dthrow, when your standing near the edge, or when landing. a quick dash attack out of dthrow can be air dodged, or you can jump. basically if you notice the mk doing dash attack out of dthrow you'll just jump, if the mk knows what he's doing he'll mix it up, so just go ahead and do the same, maybe fair or jump dair and find your way down a different way. other than that you can shield grab of course, or at higher percentages easily f or dsmash OoS for the stock.
fair: im just gonna make this one short and sweet because anymore mk's wont fair unless they know their gonna get away with it. however if they ledge hop fair nice fsmash or jab works just fine. well spaced fairs you prolly wanna just retreating arrow his ***.
dtilt: if this is one of those mk's that just spams dtilt, he's a dumb one and you can angle your shield down til he inches himself into your grab range. well spaced dtilts mixed up with ftilt, etc,---run away and b reversal arrow. his fat, mexican tilt ******ry. other then that you might be able to jab him mixups, just be sure not to get to anxious to get some dmg out of it. roll away, jump out of there, upb, whatever you got do.
ftilt: ftilt gets its own section cuz its extra homo.
upb: mentioned how to deal with this earlier, but as for the initiation of grounded upb you obviously cant outprioritze it, and i cant tell you what the mk's gonna do next, but if he goes for the glide attack, shield grab is what straight people do, so grab his gay little mask and pound some sense into him(no homo).
nado: im no frame expert on pit, but from what ive seen shielding his whole nado followed by sidestep at the end of it jab or grab work, it all depends on how the mk turns up afterwords. work with it, practice, im not gonna go TOO in depth with this one, i mean, its nado. you either get hit by it or you manage to get away scott free. if you can get a hit off, kudos. :cool:

thats all for now folks. typing sucks

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I will say that Meta Knight is absolutely irritating to fight when they are defensive because it's really hard to get a lead on him and then having to camp or plank him, and then realizing you're planking/camping is inferior. If that wasn't enough, even if you wanted to spam arrows and retreat, if the MK is good at powershielding projectiles, he'll powershield and run at you with full speed, punishing the lag of your arrow or your next arrow that he powershields (even while retreating, he can still reach you...)

You can say that holding the charge on your arrows will help, but it only throws them off for an instant, then they're back to PSing the next charged OR uncharged arrow..

What I think is usable though by a far better degree is running toward the ledge away from metaknight, and retreating arrow him while reversing your direction (with the same momentum) on the ground first before jumping into the air with a pulled arrow. I am still practicing this, but it seems to be the most safe position, and you can jump and shoot another, jump and shoot another, and grab the ledge, and if he's close enough, you can use u-air to throw him off the ledge.

I'm not sure what else to think on this matchup, it really sucks that my room mate knows how to powershield all of my arrows (but at the same time that's good), and then proceed to **** me and my low-close-quarters-combat options with his superior range and speed. Then he'll run to the ledge and plank. He plays the most gay against my Pit because that's how you shut down Pit I think, but is there any option against his planking besides getting a lucky looped arrow around the stage and hitting him? I've gotta practice the type of looped arrow from the opposite side all the way under to the other side... How do you guys stop his planking?

Coffee™

I need it....
Pit can't stop MK's planking without putting himself at risk, and what you are describing in your 2nd paragraph can simply be beaten by MK using Tornado. Tbh you want to be on the ground for the majority of this matchup. An occasional Fair or SH Dair/Bair is cool but you honestly won't be using them much.

Pit plays the matchup similarly to Falco minus the cg, if that helps

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I always thought of this match-up as PIt taking the role of the punisher i hvent had too much trouble in this mu yet...but i havent had to fight any **** mk's from florida like seib or Halz cuz i havent fought halz and Seib went wario....but ive beaten all the other mk's that have fought me in tourney

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
trust me its because you haven't played a **** mk. if there is anyone who pretty much nailed/knows this MU its pulse. he goes mk on me alot and also uses pit very well (especially for a falco main :p). plus we've both played ignis who is a well known mk here in norcal.

and krystedez what do you mean a lucky looped arrow from the other side of the stage? if you suck at looping from far away (but you really should be good with your arrows if you main pit...) get close enough to do a basic loop while facing away from him and if you stop just b4 it finishing the loop it will go right under the lip and hit the planking douche. and if you rellay wanna stop him from planking and show off and have it work get good at multi-arrow raining. i mean come on guys if you can't loop arrows (effectively) make a big stage with platforms at each top corner, place coms on them, and practice. thats what i did and i can aim my arrows to hit anywhere on any stage from any angle no joke

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
trust me its because you haven't played a **** mk. if there is anyone who pretty much nailed/knows this MU its pulse. he goes mk on me alot and also uses pit very well (especially for a falco main :p). plus we've both played ignis who is a well known mk here in norcal.

and krystedez what do you mean a lucky looped arrow from the other side of the stage? if you suck at looping from far away (but you really should be good with your arrows if you main pit...) get close enough to do a basic loop while facing away from him and if you stop just b4 it finishing the loop it will go right under the lip and hit the planking douche. and if you rellay wanna stop him from planking and show off and have it work get good at multi-arrow raining. i mean come on guys if you can't loop arrows (effectively) make a big stage with platforms at each top corner, place coms on them, and practice. thats what i did and i can aim my arrows to hit anywhere on any stage from any angle no joke
...but the mk i play comes top 10...i just havent fought any Ranked mk's....i mean hes hard but if he doesnt completely spam tornado smartly >> (m(two)k style pro yo *cough cough* xD) we can rrack up damage ridiculously fast and then even with good DI a 100% fresh fsmash kills 110-125 cept maybe on FD and bair kilils earlier than that....if sheiks can win this mu we can cmon guys

eh i got good at looping...and then quit using it i just shoot arrows right at the edge cuz i can aim to where they hit him w/o looping....but in all honesty...if u dont have the lead and he starts planking ur best bet is to make a plan and take a risk any mk with patience if hes winning wilil continue to plank regardlesss of arrows.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path

Lucky looped arrow = an arrow that happens to be timed right against his invincibility frames from grabbing the ledge. I know how to loop arrows far away, but they simply do not hit him because of the sheer amount of invincibility frames he can get plus just SEEING the arrows and dodging them. I guess I can attempt to do the up-close arrow looping more, though, as that sort of forces him to react by either getting up on the stage or air-dodging under...

And I don't understand the point of arrow raining, lol, it's very cool but not efficient or timely... But I'm getting better at my upward-shot arrow looping now so maybe I'll consider it for those times of dull waiting around for the opponent to move XD

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
i agree we can win it but ignis plays very nado efficient MK and its annoying.... aka trust me i agree its winnable but it's still hard.
pit cant do much against nado spam...its sad but true me and Ramen saw that this weekend for a fact...(not that we hadnt b4) but this time it was nearly mindless and we still took way too many of em i mean ff bair from above charged arrow....mirror shield thats all we got...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i wasn't questioning your arrow prowess specifically there krystedez i was talking to pits as a whole. sry for the confusing wording. and the point of arrow rain that i was talking about was if they will not get off the edge. shooting 2-4 arrows on differant timings and making all of them come down in succession over the edge. that way if an arrow missess because of invincibility the next one will hit for sure. this is really hard and im still trying to perfect it but when you get it, it works. i do agree that arrow raining in general is usually pointless but there are always situations (like this one) where it works really well.

Coffee™

I need it....
Eh...arrow looping should never hit a MK that is actually proficient at planking. It's horrendously easy to see coming, hard enough to control to actually aim at MK and leaves you open to punishment unless you are like on the other side of the stage.

pit cant do much against nado spam...its sad but true me and Ramen saw that this weekend for a fact...(not that we hadnt b4) but this time it was nearly mindless and we still took way too many of em i mean ff bair from above charged arrow....mirror shield thats all we got...
Thing is Mk doesn't really need to nado spam to beat Pit anyway. It just makes the matchup worse. Me and Seibrik are probably the best at the matchup from MK's perspective so you might see what I mean if you ever get the chance to play one of us.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i agree thats its not very efficient but when i do it they seem to get the mind set of "how dare you try to stop my planking" and proceed to approach (funny thing is they both actually said that). so mayb others would do the same. but hey guys its MK. wat else can we do but try stuff that turns out to be just not good enough compared to him?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Eh...arrow looping should never hit a MK that is actually proficient at planking. It's horrendously easy to see coming, hard enough to control to actually aim at MK and leaves you open to punishment unless you are like on the other side of the stage.

Thing is Mk doesn't really need to nado spam to beat Pit anyway. It just makes the matchup worse. Me and Seibrik are probably the best at the matchup from MK's perspective so you might see what I mean if you ever get the chance to play one of us.
^^^^^^^^ this x10 i just was trying to reinforce teh fact that pit has nothing in particular to stop the free dmg like alot of characters do. And yes id like to fight your or seibs MK to get an idea of the horror that is the Pit vs MK mu lol arrow looping on mk is....eh in HIGH level play. arrows are pretty much 3 things to me in this mu

1) free dmg
2) detterents they slow down the pace of the match a bit
3)unstale the rest of my moves

it will pretty much be down to the wire from my experience if your of = skill level and know mu well. but it is winnable since we killl earlier than him and can rack up dmg nearly as well as him and we die later than him.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Instead of arrow loop, you can just find the specific location on each stage where Pit can angle his arrows downward right at the position a MK or any character hangs on the ledge. It forces them to do something otherwise they'll get hit, and if they do get hit, that leads to another possible arrow/dashattack/followup.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
haha...I arrow looped and hit my roomie planking on the ledge, and then bair'd him in his hit stun, efficiently stage-spiking him.

Too bad I won't be getting any more practice against his MK now... He hates playing against Pit. I don't blame him, it's pretty boring when the best option for MK is to plank. lol.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
good call on that. when i think about it i don't know why i do that less and the other more when it should be the other way around. any other good ledge tips?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
oh. must have missed that. sry lol. :p a pseudo matchup thread for you tonight so you can take what ever you want from it and then we can later close it or delete it or watevs they do to useless threads

Coffee™

I need it....
Too bad I won't be getting any more practice against his MK now... He hates playing against Pit. I don't blame him, it's pretty boring when the best option for MK is to plank. lol.
Mk doesn't need to plank to win. He can just straight up beat you on stage and Tornado over the edge if Pit tries to plank him.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Mk doesn't need to plank to win. He can just straight up beat you on stage and Tornado over the edge if Pit tries to plank him.
Agreed, and he can also just drop down and nair or dair you if you use uair or arrows. MK wreck's Pit's planking game.

haha...I arrow looped and hit my roomie planking on the ledge, and then bair'd him in his hit stun, efficiently stage-spiking him.

Oh boy Krystedez :oneeye: Your in for quite a shocker at SiiS4. MM some top MK players for me, and THEN come back with the statement, "MK's best option is to plank." lol, but gl seriously.

volume

Smash Apprentice
possibly in another dimension named winnipeg
not a pit expert but meta knight is a better version of pit just with out a projectile or reflector's, truly if it were mk vs pit i would say 40:60 mks favor i could try my best to summerize reasons why but my grammar sucks so it will be hard to under stand.

meta knights attaacks are much fast longer range trancedent priority.
meta knight can easily chase pit off stage and screw him.
pit arrows are near useless due to not having lazer priority and being easily power sheilded by a walking mk also while walking mk can ftilt out ranging all of pits moved.
mk dominates the air and ground with fast airs and tilts also dsmash.
now pits advantages:
pit CAN punish meta knight.
pit can gimp meta knight though it is hard and most mks dont drill rush or tornado back to stage they glide or shuttle loop though shuttle loop is gimpable as well multi jumps are also a factor.
angel ring can surprise mk but its lag also leaves you open for a smash or ftilt.
f smash is a good gtfo tool.
baiting with projectile and grabing obvious sheild is absolutely needed.
because pit can punish mk harded then some it makes it really important to punish what ever you can even if its with a arrow.

really this mu is like mkvtl it is really hard to win.

(this is only my opinion dont take it serious discuss what you want)

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Agreed, and he can also just drop down and nair or dair you if you use uair or arrows. MK wreck's Pit's planking game.

Oh boy Krystedez :oneeye: Your in for quite a shocker at SiiS4. MM some top MK players for me, and THEN come back with the statement, "MK's best option is to plank." lol, but gl seriously.
MK's best option is to plank, hands down.

Want to know why?

He doesn't even have to try.

I did not say that the rest of his options aren't good, I know what an MK is capable of and that most of his **** can shut down a lot of Pit's A-game.

But still, I love an aggressive player over a defensive player, as I've made it obvious. I can go toe to toe with that style at least, whereas, as you all have mentioned, I can not go toe to toe with the planking style.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Perhaps that is your best option.

But I am not going to put myself in a character's shoes. My best option is to play my best using what tools I do have including my brain to overcome the matchup. It isn't like any old MK is going to just beat up a really good Pit, if they're both same the level of skill at high-level play, I can see the arguement that MK would most likely come out on top, but all in all it really depends on the mistakes of each player. Playing the matchup is not a mistake, as much as you guys think it is :/

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
It's just a pain, to play an mk that knows how to fight a pit. I do beat some mk's with my pit just that there are not like top level or probably not even as good as me.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Believe you me, it's irritating as hell to fight a Meta knight that knows how to fight Pit, but more importantly, it sucks to play a meta knight that knows how you play in general, so ... Using that logic, if I can take my room mate down to 1 stock most games, or even outplay him on certain occasions, I'll have a much easier time playing with someone who doesn't know exactly what I'm going to do.

He and I play on a high-level playing field, so he doesn't take it easy on me, he uses everything, and at others times he just doesn't feel like fighting Pit and will just plank me, effecitively proving my point that that's his best option if he doesn't really feel like fighting. In other words, why the extra effort?

But I still think that I myself personally can create a situation against an MK with the experience that I can overcome him in, as long as I keep steadfast in the matchup and not give up just because he knows the Pit matchup.

I only discuss this in such detail not because I feel Pit is underrated by any means in this matchup, but because I just feel like people underrate themselves in this matchup. Of course, the only way you'll truly figure that out, is by fighting high-level players consistently...

I hope to play really well myself at SiiS not at the benefit of the character but at the benefit of others, to show that no matter the character, if you're good at the game, you can potentially play well. Granted, when it gets down to characters like Ganon, there is simply no hope... lol.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Believe you me, it's irritating as hell to fight a Meta knight that knows how to fight Pit, but more importantly, it sucks to play a meta knight that knows how you play in general, so ... Using that logic, if I can take my room mate down to 1 stock most games, or even outplay him on certain occasions, I'll have a much easier time playing with someone who doesn't know exactly what I'm going to do.

He and I play on a high-level playing field, so he doesn't take it easy on me, he uses everything, and at others times he just doesn't feel like fighting Pit and will just plank me, effecitively proving my point that that's his best option if he doesn't really feel like fighting. In other words, why the extra effort?

But I still think that I myself personally can create a situation against an MK with the experience that I can overcome him in, as long as I keep steadfast in the matchup and not give up just because he knows the Pit matchup.

I only discuss this in such detail not because I feel Pit is underrated by any means in this matchup, but because I just feel like people underrate themselves in this matchup. Of course, the only way you'll truly figure that out, is by fighting high-level players consistently...

I hope to play really well myself at SiiS not at the benefit of the character but at the benefit of others, to show that no matter the character, if you're good at the game, you can potentially play well. Granted, when it gets down to characters like Ganon, there is simply no hope... lol.
yaaaaa...you know those pit vs mk vids i have....ive been smashing with that guy since melee...and he is a good mk...if i can win that as well as many other mk fights...its possible. But still i am waiting for the chance to fight R@vyn.

DONT BE BASHING THE MANLINESS THAT IS GANON >;O

<3 Ganon for G tier G for god ;D

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
guys we really need to work on this thread because im going to TAG this weekend and ANTI is going to be there along with zex and probably sky and choice. i need help with the mk match up because metaknight has just been ****ting on my day recently and it sucks. i can't do anything without getting my *** punished so hard i don't even have a chance. i can do great snake and diddy do good against falco, wario, and marth and **** against any other character except for metaknight.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Collapsed because some people are insensitive to reading motivational posts.

Maharba.

You are Pit. The one and only angel of the brawl cast. Set out to protect Palutena from her enemies, even if her enemies happen to be your friends that you brawl with on a regular basis.

It's your time to shine. To show her, and the rest of your fellow brothers that you are the perfect general for the job. You WILL protect your goddess's honor. You WILL defeat the ones who stand in your way from victory. Tiers of low and high will not stop you. You shall go forward and defeat them!

You have the Sacred Bow of Palutena, a secret and divine weapon that has been blessed with the strength of one thousand prayers. It's sacred power shall help you drive away the multiple attacks that foes such as the devilish Meta Knight seek to land upon your wings. Stay back, fear not, and unleash your unlimited supply of Palutena Arrows upon your foes as you evade every attack from the ledge!

When your foes draw near, and you have no other options, not even your defensive and well-trained tactic of spinning your bow above your head, it is time to fly. Know when the battle has heated to the boiling point and you can no longer fight on the edge of the earth. Find the other side whilst visiting the underworld, and quickly grab for your life to get back to the overworld. Mix up your approach back to the overworld, so that you can rejoin the battle. Take your time, find the right time, and leap back up into the fray! Perhaps your foe shall be tricked and seek to revenge you by coming down the ledge and off the edge of the earth himself! Get back to middle ground, and stand it. You're ready to fight.

When your opponent approaches, use single spot-dodges to train him to think you're going to spot-dodge his approaches, and he shall attempt to time a grab. When this occurs, simply roll behind him and punish! This is only the beginning. You shall have to continue to train him to think you're going to do one thing, and then do another. (going from rolling to jumping into the air for instance) It is the art of the mixup. Fear not, you shall not be mind-gamed into doing something your opponent can read should you STEEL YOUR MIND, and use the strategy that works! Find the strength within, for if you give up one strategy that worked to use another, you should only find yourself failure. It is when you have been caught up to that you should switch it up. Don't take 50~70 percent just because you feel like you aren't able to do anything! DO SOMETHING ELSE! Refresh your mind and get back on the stage as safely as possible, don't do anything rash, general!

When it's come down to finding the time to kill, you'll notice yourself disadvantaged. You simply can not come close to a smart opponent when you're the hunter and he is the prey. Well, you better just hope he starts praying to Palutena, because you will be able to outwit your opponent! Have you kept your fsmash fresh? ... No? That's okay. You have back air. Wait, don't think I'm joking, and that you'll never be able to land it. Here's a couple strategies.

Get him off of you first. Seek the grab or moment to use a launch attack (not a kill move, unless you want to weaken fsmash even more!). Throw him off stage, and, since he's at kill percent, he'll go far enough for you to regroup. Shoot an arrow; if it misses, no big deal. Shoot another arrow, this time away the other way. Loop it. Get the arrow to RAIN down on top of him. If he air dodges, he will be vulnerable for you to attack (by the time the second arrow was launched he should already be trying to approach you), and a good way to get either a bair (if he is close) or a fair (if he a little bit away from you). If he gets hit by it, watch which direction he moves (arrows change the direction your opponent is facing sometimes). If he ends up moving toward you, take advantage of that hit stun and throw out your bair! IT SHOULD HIT! If he moves away from you, and he's far enough, shoot another arrow to gain more percent and stun. If he is too far from you, don't shoot another arrow, but move away from him and shoot another right at him in the same process from the beginning. As he gets closer and approaches you, remember that he has moves that he may throw out randomly to throw you off; don't panic. If you expect the UP+B, you can punish it quickly if you act. Don't expect him to come down directly and glide attack you if he misses the UP+B altogether; chase his direction and f-air him at least, if not bair him (reversing direction first on the ground and keeping your momentum while b-airing him will work...)

I have only just begun. You haven't forgotten about planking, have you? Do not forget arrows! Train that single arrow-rain, pressure him back on stage, and punish!

Is he already got you in a huge combo, and you're fretting your loss of stock? Don't. Just DI back into him if he is pushing you off stage for a kill! You have to smack that C-stick with your control stick like you never smacked it before, with good timing, to pull off a decent DI back to the middle of the stage. Aim behind him and down so you can touch solid ground again.

I can only hope that this has motivated you a bit. Meta Knight is not an easy opponent, but you can do it! Know your options, and you're on the road to victory. Know your opponent, and you've already won.

TL;DR: Kick his *** in the name of Palutena!

In it's place, I give you an internet meme.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
wow thank you for the summary man! this is hella motivatin
and when you mention it actually i have never really planked in a friendly so i don't have much practice. i used to against MK but i gave up on it when he realized he could dtilt me out of uair and off the ledge but i will just get better at planking then. funny that you mentioned looping to bair because thats like the only way ive been getting a kill on his MK recently.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Ayy ayy my lad, don't plank Metaknight if he gets TOO close, just scrooge/mind-game scrooge him. If he gets to close and you think he's coming down on you with a dair or something, attempt to dodge it on the ledge by either by rolling back onto stage, or letting go and falling down with an air dodge, moving inward toward the stage, prepping yourself for either scrooging or punishing his mistakes (if any). If he doesn't make a mistake off stage that far down, then do not come close to him, he might just stage-spike you with an nair or fair or something else ********.

you CAN use u-air planking, but you have to fall down a little and uair, don't fall down too fast or you'll die, and don't rise up with it too much either, or you can get hit out of the lag of the attack easily. You HAVE to practice this or there is no point in camping the ledge. He may be able to stop your planking easier than you can stop his, but you can at least make it harder for him to hit you at all. If all else fails, scrooge him!

funny that you mentioned looping to bair because thats like the only way ive been getting a kill on his MK recently.
And I'm glad I'm not the only one haha...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
for sure. ill hella practice my planking for when i need it/can use properly. however i usually just camp onstage aggressively when i play and pretty much don't ledge camp except to edge guard peeps. however i should have all my options available should i need them so onto grinding.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Maharba.

You are Pit. The one and only angel of the brawl cast. Set out to protect Palutena from her enemies, even if her enemies happen to be your friends that you brawl with on a regular basis.

It's your time to shine. To show her, and the rest of your fellow brothers that you are the perfect general for the job. You WILL protect your goddess's honor. You WILL defeat the ones who stand in your way from victory. Tiers of low and high will not stop you. You shall go forward and defeat them!

You have the Sacred Bow of Palutena, a secret and divine weapon that has been blessed with the strength of one thousand prayers. It's sacred power shall help you drive away the multiple attacks that foes such as the devilish Meta Knight seek to land upon your wings. Stay back, fear not, and unleash your unlimited supply of Palutena Arrows upon your foes as you evade every attack from the ledge!

When your foes draw near, and you have no other options, not even your defensive and well-trained tactic of spinning your bow above your head, it is time to fly. Know when the battle has heated to the boiling point and you can no longer fight on the edge of the earth. Find the other side whilst visiting the underworld, and quickly grab for your life to get back to the overworld. Mix up your approach back to the overworld, so that you can rejoin the battle. Take your time, find the right time, and leap back up into the fray! Perhaps your foe shall be tricked and seek to revenge you by coming down the ledge and off the edge of the earth himself! Get back to middle ground, and stand it. You're ready to fight.

When your opponent approaches, use single spot-dodges to train him to think you're going to spot-dodge his approaches, and he shall attempt to time a grab. When this occurs, simply roll behind him and punish! This is only the beginning. You shall have to continue to train him to think you're going to do one thing, and then do another. (going from rolling to jumping into the air for instance) It is the art of the mixup. Fear not, you shall not be mind-gamed into doing something your opponent can read should you STEEL YOUR MIND, and use the strategy that works! Find the strength within, for if you give up one strategy that worked to use another, you should only find yourself failure. It is when you have been caught up to that you should switch it up. Don't take 50~70 percent just because you feel like you aren't able to do anything! DO SOMETHING ELSE! Refresh your mind and get back on the stage as safely as possible, don't do anything rash, general!

When it's come down to finding the time to kill, you'll notice yourself disadvantaged. You simply can not come close to a smart opponent when you're the hunter and he is the prey. Well, you better just hope he starts praying to Palutena, because you will be able to outwit your opponent! Have you kept your fsmash fresh? ... No? That's okay. You have back air. Wait, don't think I'm joking, and that you'll never be able to land it. Here's a couple strategies.

Get him off of you first. Seek the grab or moment to use a launch attack (not a kill move, unless you want to weaken fsmash even more!). Throw him off stage, and, since he's at kill percent, he'll go far enough for you to regroup. Shoot an arrow; if it misses, no big deal. Shoot another arrow, this time away the other way. Loop it. Get the arrow to RAIN down on top of him. If he air dodges, he will be vulnerable for you to attack (by the time the second arrow was launched he should already be trying to approach you), and a good way to get either a bair (if he is close) or a fair (if he a little bit away from you). If he gets hit by it, watch which direction he moves (arrows change the direction your opponent is facing sometimes). If he ends up moving toward you, take advantage of that hit stun and throw out your bair! IT SHOULD HIT! If he moves away from you, and he's far enough, shoot another arrow to gain more percent and stun. If he is too far from you, don't shoot another arrow, but move away from him and shoot another right at him in the same process from the beginning. As he gets closer and approaches you, remember that he has moves that he may throw out randomly to throw you off; don't panic. If you expect the UP+B, you can punish it quickly if you act. Don't expect him to come down directly and glide attack you if he misses the UP+B altogether; chase his direction and f-air him at least, if not bair him (reversing direction first on the ground and keeping your momentum while b-airing him will work...)

I have only just begun. You haven't forgotten about planking, have you? Do not forget arrows! Train that single arrow-rain, pressure him back on stage, and punish!

Is he already got you in a huge combo, and you're fretting your loss of stock? Don't. Just DI back into him if he is pushing you off stage for a kill! You have to smack that C-stick with your control stick like you never smacked it before, with good timing, to pull off a decent DI back to the middle of the stage. Aim behind him and down so you can touch solid ground again.

I can only hope that this has motivated you a bit. Meta Knight is not an easy opponent, but you can do it! Know your options, and you're on the road to victory. Know your opponent, and you've already won.

TL;DR: Kick his *** in the name of Palutena!
Well done Krystedez, and I agree- it's the player skill that matters and it ALWAYS overides character choice. One's skill matters more than matchups, so if you have a high-skill level, one should be able to overcome anything.

Top Bottom