• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Jab-Cancel Regrab

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I posted this in the question and answer thread. But idk if anyone noticed it or not, since no one else seems to have said anything about it working or not working on a human player. Anyway on to it again.

Pits second jab seems to pull people toward him and within grabbing range. The % seems to matter, and for most characters it starts at about 60%ish, though it can work on certain characters starting at 0% and sometimes not at all. It also seems to matter how u release them. It only seems to work when they release when ur not pummeling them. Best of all you dont have to move at all. Though it would probably work better if u moved a bit.

The "combo" is Grab>Pummel>Release>Jab>Jab>Grab

Characters ive tested it on: (Without Moving)
Any%: Toon Link, Snake, Mario, G&W, Olimar, Peach, Shiek, Ness, Ivy
Below 60%: Falco, Charizard (for some reason after 60% he doesn't get pulled back.)
Below 80%: Link
40% and up: Marth, D3, Ganon
60% and up: Fox, Rob, Wolf, Zelda, DK, Lucario, Samus
Never: Meta (of course), Luigi, Kirby, Ike, Pit, Yoshi, Lucas, Sonic, Wario, CF, ZSS, Squirtle, IC
Sometimes: Diddy, Pika (not sure why but sometimes out of range) Jiggly (Comp jumped out a few times)
Weird Stuff: Bowser (sometimes a simple grab release works on bowser, as long as ur pummeling him while he releases, other then that he has to be pummeled for it to continue.)

Anyway since i have no one to test it with for DI purposes, anyone wanna try testing it out? I have a feeling that they can probably get out with perfect timing, but in this game they can get out of pretty much anything, doesn't mean its not worth trying. lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
A grab release jab doesn't work on anyone. The only way that would work is if Pit had a frame 1 jab, which he does not. (Ness and Lucas are a minor exception though.)

Every character in the game can spot doge or roll after you release them from your grab, since every character's roll or spot dodge comes in 4 frames or less.

Don't even bother trying it on DK. He can Dsmash you if you grab release him, so don't. EVER.

Coffee™

I need it....
MrEH is right. The only way it actually works is if people don't expect it. Percent doesn't matter really. Most characters can stop it through either simply holding the shield button or using an attack faster than Pit's Jab after the grab release. It's nice for pressuring opponents but it technically doesn't "work". Ness and Lucas are exceptions but I believe they can get out of it with EIDI or whatever its called

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Not really jab-cancel grab releases do work really well with Ike. Even if people expect it i can get a pretty good chance of hitting certain characters. And i said it probably wont work if they time things perfectly. I just mean as a possibility. Like if DI had any effect on the pull of the jab.

The % damage only affects the jabs, at certain %'s for certain characters the jab pulls more or less.

Either way ill still attempt this on characters like G&W and olimar, or any other characters i know is gonna give me problems.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Not really jab-cancel grab releases do work really well with Ike.
No they don't. Ike has a very fast high priority jab that's essentially a big "screw you" when it comes to grab releases. Ike's jab comes out faster then Pit's jab or grab, which makes any sort of grab release you attempt useless.

Either way ill still attempt this on characters like G&W and olimar, or any other characters i know is gonna give me problems.
Game and Watch can jab out the same way Ike can. His jab will beat Pits.

As for Olimar, no idea. He can just roll I guess.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well either way, you can say its a useless attempt. But ive attempted even more so "useless things" with pit and other characters.

I've done similar things with Link, which shouldn't work, Link's chain grab shouldn't work as well. But yet it still does. Actually i've done some stupid crap against Dmuscian that shouldn't work, but yet they did, and i believe he is one of the top players of Hawaii.

So go ahead and tell me statistics on how they have so number of frames to get away. This isn't melee, people will get away from pretty much everything and anything. When we both know for a fact, that there are going to be people who dont act that fast, wont see it coming, wont react the right way.

As i said before, im still going to use it. Just because its not 100% reliable, doesn't mean its unreliable.

Coffee™

I need it....
Ike's jab comes out faster then Pit's jab or grab, which makes any sort of grab release you attempt useless.
Thats true but it doesn't even matter since after a grab release Ike falls too far away from Pit to even be re-jabbed.

Game and Watch can jab out the same way Ike can. His jab will beat Pits.
Game and Watch's Jab does not "beat" Pits, they hit on the same frame which means that his Jab will clank with Pits Jab rendering it useless. G&W can also Up B out of it.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I can see this useful for is an "idiot test" - to see if the other player has enough knowledge of the game to get out of tricks like this. There are numerous other things that I've picked up - Toon Link has this dthrow-pivot grab thing that is only escapable by jumping, and other such things that leave the opponent with one, or very few ways out.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
its not guaranteed, but you can always try it to get your opponent in the "I have to dodge this" mindset, then punish them the next time when they stepdodge or roll.

Top Bottom