• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Oh, so it's not valid because it didn't fit the specific criteria you carry with you.

But let's skip the red herring and get back to the point .. And your point is? How does any of this make a point towards Dark Pit being playable?
He didn't have his video, his intro screen, and he was named and shown in another newcomer's introduction. I don't understand why everyone here is arguing about Game and Watch and Miis and Charizard when the bottom line is that the evidence overwhelmingly points to Dark Pit not being playable.

Yes, we don't know, but again, the evidence is overwhelmingly against it.

And btw, Burigu wasn't "intending to anger," it may be more of the case that people here are getting needlessly defensive and dismissing anything that flies in the face of their wild hopes.
Now, show me a newcomer being revealed without one of those screens, and then you have an argument.
You wanted to see a newcomer without an intro screen and I showed you one. This helps because it shows that newcomer's don't need an intro screen to be confirmed or teased.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
At this point, I don't believe Dark Pit to be a playable character on his own.

The best he could be is an alt for Pit, which is what I think it's being teased, but I'm by no means right, though I can't say I'm wrong either. Pit also had a "fallen angel" color in Brawl, which was used as a basis for Dark Pit. (There are a lot of similarities, but there are significant differences as well, notably the color of the eyes and the laurel crown.)

I don't think he's an Assist Trophy. No other ATs have been teased so far, not even ones from Kid Icarus, so I would find it really strange to see Dark Pit getting some sort of special treatment.

As a stage hazard/boss, I won't deny it's a possibility. This could be a situation not unlike the Yellow Devil, after all. It also kind of fits with the whole "crashing Palutena's party" joke if he was a stage hazard on Palutena's Temple. (I'm curious as how would the original Japanese dialogue would directly translate...)
What I'm curious about this situation is what would happen to the aforementioned fallen angel costume, as having Dark Pit and fallen angel Pit on the same screen is bound to create a lot of confusion. Logically, Pit would likely get a new color swap, but it would be disappointing especially considering that color swap was somewhat popular in Brawl.

Anyway, the possibilities all exist: Pit alt, Assist Trophy or stage hazard/boss. In order of likeliness, I'd put Pit alt first, stage hazard/boss second and Assist Trophy third.

All that is left to do is to look forward to when will this be clarified.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Dark Pit is a stage element then I'll find it a little contradictory of why Conductor Link apparently needs to be replaced if Toon Link is chosen at the Spirit Train stage imo. Assuming he doesn't get replaced when Pit is on of course.

inb4 token Alfonzo joke...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One thing I never got with the whole "alt" thing; it'd just be a palette swap.
Literally the only possible change would be voice clips, but that doesn't necessarily require an "alt costume".

In Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Gold Lightan's 2nd and 4th palettes are of "Silver Lightan" instead, which change out the voiceclips with anything that uses "Gold" with "Silver" and I believe one of the entrance quotes (which doesn't use "Gold" or "Silver").

My money's more on stage boss.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Does Pit have Pitto's color swap in the demo?
From what I could tell, all characters on the demo only had 4 colors available.

In Brawl, with the exception of the Pokémon characters and Sonic, everyone had 6 color (Wario had two costumes, 6 colors each), so it can easily be assumed that this game will also offer more colors lest it would feel like a step back. It is a demo, after all.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ok, then I believe Dark Pit's either a special unlockable color swap, with different voices, etc, or a hidden character, since Mr. Game and Watch was teased by the same way. It can also be a DLC.

Support. Now I'm a bit hyped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

pit no longer glides, perhaps that trait could be given to dark pit as a reference to his superb flying abilities
Which are alluded to in the trailer, since Dark Pit is shown to have Pandora's power despite losing it at the Rewind Spring chapter.

D

Deleted member

FS would probably be the Daybreak.

Special moves, hard to say what he "will" have, considering there's multiple options that range from being a Pit clone to a Pit semi-clone, to a completely original character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Considering Palutena has the Megalaser, I guess that isn't impossible now.
I think Dark Pit will keep his Up-Special and Neutral-Special, just functions differently with the Darkness Bow having more power and slower projectiles, and the glide time being shorter than Pits.
If he's going going to be an offensive based fighter, I think Dark Pit's Down-Spec will be replaced with another special. (Or maybe the Eye Orbitars)
For Side-Spec, it could be the Crusher or End-All Arm with a shorter distance and better power.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
I was at smash-fest and checked for the alternate costume, not there. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a part 2 to the Palutena trailer?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That would make no complete sense to me. If he's not playable, he's more likely to side with Medusa in a boss battle than siding with Phosphora.
Hmm I don't know. How do you think Dark Pit got the Lightning Chariot to break open the entrance to Chaos Vortex? He had to have gotten it from Phosphora beforehand and thus obviously got along with her. Besides, Dark Pit was against Medusa from the beginning, so for him to side with her wouldn't make sense.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"We're gonna speculate about one character and one character only: Dark Pit from Kid Icarus: Uprising."

"I'm not going to conclude he's playable because of his appearance at the end of Palutena's trailer. I don't even know what that means."

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's a tease for sure Jerry. I'm slightly optimistic that it's going to be more than an alt. costume. We'll probably find out soon, and right now we are probably going to have to go through Dark Pit flake and clone arguments through out these months to find out if he's playable.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
The only way I would accept Dark Pit would be if he is not a clone. He's more of an alt. costume. That being said, I would gladly accept him as a character if he is pretty different. I just fear he would be too confusing on stage when regular Pit would be on.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I would like to see Dark Pit as a playable character. I believe a lot of players didn't play Kid Icarus Uprising. Because of this many gamers say Dark Pit should stay a skin palette. But Dark Pit has much more potential than other dark characters and could create different to Pit. I mean in Kid Icarus Uprising there are a lot of weapons and powers. Pit use 3 of the weapons. Palutena uses some powers. And Dark Pit? He could have other weapons AND powers. I think thats a rounded supplement PLUS Dark Pit would be a unique dark character in the Smash Bros series. It would be interesting too, if Dark Pit would get powers or weapons, what didn't appear in Kid Icarus Uprising ( or in the series. ) I mean Toon-Link and Link are to similiar... both of them use the mastersword, bombs, boomerang and so on. Even the final smash is the same. But Darkpit and Pit could have very different moveset.

There are a lot of facts or pro arguments that say Darkpit should be in.

Nintendo is going to release a new fighter... maybe it will be Dark Pit. ^^ ( Because of the Anime )

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
With Robin's reveal, along with the ability to switch genders and voice clips, I now have much greater hope that Dark Pit will at least appear as an alternate skin for Pit, even more so than I had after his appearance in Palutena's trailer. I would just love to see Dark Pit wielding his Silver Bow, shooting green arrows.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Forget Robin, Lucina being a newcomer bumps up Pitto's chances a ton. Unfortunately if that was the case, he'd likely be a pure clone with some different properties (though hey, maybe some unique moves?)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Is it weird that seeing Lucina makes me think Dark Pit is suddenly very likely?

Not that I support the character, I'd honestly rather lose a character from the roster than see this guy playable

but for some reason I think he's in...

Neo Zero

Is it weird that seeing Lucina makes me think Dark Pit is suddenly very likely?

Not that I support the character, I'd honestly rather lose a character from the roster than see this guy playable

but for some reason I think he's in...
Think of it this way. They could either give us Lucina/Dark Pit (and maybe some other characters) or they could have given us nothing but more trophies. This way there's more roster variety, and you please more of the overall fanbase.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Think of it this way. They could either give us Lucina/Dark Pit (and maybe some other characters) or they could have given us nothing but more trophies. This way there's more roster variety, and you please more of the overall fanbase.
Yeah I can't hate on it too much. I'm not one to hate on clones for clones sake.

It'd still sting if Kid Icarus got that many reps though.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Forget Robin, Lucina being a newcomer bumps up Pittoo's chances a ton. Unfortunately if that was the case, he'd likely be a pure clone with some different properties (though hey, maybe some unique moves?)

Joking aside, the problem with Dark Pit is that, aside from the obvious colour differences, he is completely identical to Pit. Having them both as separate characters would probably cause confusion. In mine opinion, the best course of action would be to have him as an alternate costume, as to leave more open slots for other unique characters.

[Shrugs] That being said, I will be fine either way.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Hello hi "Dark Pit main" here. I'm sure you've probably said everything I'm going to say already, but I thought I'd dump my thoughts here anyway.

I'd say the biggest evidence against Dark Pit being his own character is the fact that he didn't get a real, Smash 4 style introduction in Palutena's trailer. There's no reason to believe that he'll get one in the future either; it would make no sense to stick him in a trailer and then give him another appearance later.

As much as I adore him, I really don't see much point in making him a separate character from Pit. He has all the same capabilities as Pit in Uprising. True, there are tons of Uprising weapons that we haven't seen Pit use in Sm4sh that he could use, but I have a feeling that we might see some of those weapons as customizable move set options. Which would be pretty rad, but doesn't do much to support the idea of Dark Pit being his own character.

And yes, it would be really confusing to distinguish him from Pit. Also, what would HIS alternate colors even be??? I strongly believe he's a Pit alt color with hopefully different voice acting. That wouldn't be hard to do since Antony Del Rio voices both him and Pit.

It would be super lame if he was only a stage hazard/assist trophy/something of that nature : ( He's popular enough that he deserves to be playable as an alt color, and besides, he basically originated as an alt color for Pit in Brawl.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You guys should be celebrating now. As it seems that Sakurai is purposely making clones for Smash 4.

At least I have my Robin. Congrats you guys.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

The thing is though, Dark Pit is a carbon copy clone, the same as Pit in everyway. Thus its really hard to guess which way this will go. If I were to guess, I think Dark Pit would be like Brawl Pit, possibly using different weapons (and if we're lucky, different weapon types), and would focus more on strong single hits than Pits more multi hitting moves.

I do hope Dark Pit is his own newcomer, as its not like these clones are stealing anyone's spot, it'd take about 6 of them to even equal one character

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The thing is though, Dark Pit is a carbon copy clone, the same as Pit in everyway. Thus its really hard to guess which way this will go. If I were to guess, I think Dark Pit would be like Brawl Pit, possibly using different weapons (and if we're lucky, different weapon types), and would focus more on strong single hits than Pits more multi hitting moves.

I do hope Dark Pit is his own newcomer, as its not like these clones are stealing anyone's spot, it'd take about 6 of them to even equal one character
So is Lucina in the game. That point is invalid.

Neo Zero

Lucina is her own character, who's moveset is heavily based on Marth. Even in Kid Icarus Uprising, Dark Pit is a clone of Pit, the only difference being his color scheme (and arguably his voice) so its quite different.

That being said, by the end he does more or less become distinct from Pit. Given the large variety of weapons and the ambiguous nature of his trailer cameo and his identity in comparison to Pit, I think he could be his own slot

So no @ GamerGuy09 GamerGuy09 my point isn't invalid, you just didn't understand it correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom