• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Video Archive (Updated 3/12/2013) Added more Vids

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
So I just recently picked up Pit, it'd be great if you guys could help me not be bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuaxGOpNSuw
The Problem your having is that you're rushing down but you're approaches were being shut down, instead fake-out your rush downs.
Just DashDance back and forth and wait for your opponent to take the bait and punish them.Also Grab the ledge a little more force your opponent to get on the stage. your missing fundamentals in your game IMO. I wish i had a Pit vid up to give you an example but sadly I don't yet

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'm usually better about ledge-hogging, I guess I was just playing bad that day. I agree I need to dash dance more, but it's hard to know when to apply it against Wolf since he's so dominant in neutral.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I'm usually better about ledge-hogging, I guess I was just playing bad that day. I agree I need to dash dance more, but it's hard to know when to apply it against Wolf since he's so dominant in neutral.
if he shines don't approach because he can do almost anything out of the shine instead wait him out and there's no shame in relying on some arrows every now and then.

Life

Smash Hero
Got some videos from Man On A Ledge VIII.

Life vs. DougJ (DDD) (Round 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slU0Yz64on0
Life vs. Beanwolf (Snake) (Winner's Bracket) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0qDxLwbtAg
Life vs. TheLake (Sonic, Zelda, Ivysaur) (Winner's Bracket) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUyML8o66lY
Life vs. Bravo (Link) (Loser's Bracket) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SqxAXZaHao
Life vs. Beanwolf (Snake) (Loser's Semis) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FHXjuE1QA
Life vs. TheLake (Ivysaur) (Loser's Finals) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CojEZwt23fk

This was my first time placing in the money at a smash tournament (even a tiny weekly like MOAL) so I'm very proud of how I did. Playing TheLake has made me so good against every other Ivysaur I've had to play though LOL.

Feel free to constructively criticize etc.

DougJ is a Falcon main in Melee that I go even with; luckily D3 is free and I'm also better at PM.
Beanwolf bounces between PM mains (this was his first tournament on Snake, he got dramatically better as the evening progressed) but he knocked me out of Loser's at A New Hope with Shielda.
TheLake is good at everything; he seems to main Ivysaur in PM but he can pick up anyone fairly quickly.
Bravo is a Link main, first time showing up here. He beat me in a lot of friendlies before the bracket started.

I feel like most of my trouble in this game is learning how to adapt. A Falcon-eque nair-to-grab is my primary approach and I get a little lost when it doesn't work.

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
Feel free to constructively criticize etc.
Sorry I can only comment on this one game, but I hope you're ready to read a wall of text.

Life vs. DougJ (DDD) Game 1: At the 1:20 I noted that you repeated a N-Air approach even though just beforehand, your N-Air approach had just failed. It seems like you're making a habit out of this, as I'll explain later. 20 seconds later at 1:40, you made a questionable edgeguard by not simply grabbing the ledge and prioritizing DDD's Waddle-Doo's, but you ended up getting the KO with an F-Tilt, but only because your opponent recovered onto the stage and didn't sweetspot the ledge. Even after the KO, you stood still, facing the left-side ledge, and made no attempt to gain a better position on the stage, whether that be the platform just above and behind you, or even center stage, which you can clearly take control of. IMO this is something a lot of players fail to recognize, and even I'm not immune to this little mistake, but heading over to the ledge just after you KO an opponent is doing nothing but harm you. It gives the respawning opponent an easier time pressuring you off, and gives you less real-estate to work with. It's imperative that you utilize the time it takes your opponent to respawn smartly every single time you get a KO. At 2:00 you managed to get a pivot grab off of your N-Air approach, which means it finally worked out for you! But just after that, at about 2:10, you attempt to do the same exact thing, and you get sent offstage for missing it. Maybe your tactic to approach with N-Air is getting a bit overused at this point? Afterwards, you use your glide just after you get out of hitstun when you're sent offstage. This is something I've been telling Pit mains time and time again to avoid doing. It's easier to snipe Pit's glide than you may think, and I'd suggest using ALL of Pit's jumps before even thinking of using a glide to recover back. All DDD does after you jump out of your first glide is hit you once more, and now you're left with no glide, and only one jump left. At 2:35 you had a nice string going, but you shot an arrow for some reason. That kinda made you drop your combo, but I can see why you'd want to continue to trap your opponent in the hitstun of your arrow. Just learn that there is an area above and in front of Pit where he cannot guide an arrow into unless he loops it back around. At 2:45 you end up SDing for no good reason. I'm not quiet sure what you where going for, but I don't think you showed a habit of SDing in your following games, so I'll write that one off as nerves and stuff. Just note that if it does become a habit, you'll need to be more careful around the ledge. At 3:05 you approach with N-Air once again, and this time your opponent catches on and shielded the move. You spotdodge the following shield-grab, but that really should have let you know that your habit of N-Air approaching has overstayed it's welcome. At 3:25 you stood near the ledge and just jabbed while DDD was no where near you. Just a mishap I guess, and you didn't necessarily get punished for it, but just know that you don't HAVE to hit someone to punish them. Just forcing them to be in an unfavorable position (near the ledge, up on a platform above you, etc) is a form of the punish game. Right now, similar to what you lacked to do at 1:40, continually Jabbing in place, near the ledge with the opponent clearly outside of your range is basically you punishing yourself. Just me more careful next time, as even if it was a simple, one-time mistake, at high level play, one mistake is all your opponent needs to possibly ruin your stock. At 4 minutes in, you correctly identified that at high percents, Pit can combo an opponent's character with D-Throw --> Up-B. At the correct percent, this works on everyone, and I'm happy to see that you did the best thing you could do in that situation. Good stock kill. However, just after that, you roll to get back to center stage once your opponent respawns. While it's good to see you're making the effort to gain center stage, you shouldn't overuse your rolls. Rolls are not as bad or as useless as many say, but Rolling is not the most optimal thing to do here. Either taking advantage of the platform by wavelanding onto it or simply running through an opponent would result in the same situation, just with less time to punish you. Even then, if you overuse one tactic, no matter how good it may be, someone is going to catch on (N-Air approach hint-hint). At 4:15 though, you finally used F-Air to approach, which is much safer and is pretty much always the better option to use when compared to N-Air. From one F-Air, you got like 3 D-Tilts on DDD, no joke. I'd like to see more F-Air from you, as it worked out SO much better for you from the get-go. By this I mean to say, practice approaching with F-Air instead of Glide or SH N-Air. When spaced properly, F-Air is safer than N-Air, does more damage than N-Air, and can even result in the grab your looking to get with N-Air. Yes, F-Air at low percents does in fact lead into Grab. Combine that with F-Air's ability to combo into itself or dash attack, or even D-Air in some situations, that's a hype move man. You played well enough to win the game in the end, but without that accidental SD I mentioned earlier, you could have won by an even larger margin (just sayin'). Also one more thing: you never really seemed to take advantage of Pit's dashdance. Instead you opp to use arrows on stage a lot more frequently than what I've seen from other Pit mains. I'm not sure if that was just how you wanted to play the match-up, but in any case, you really should be using Pit's dashdance to help you in neutral. Pit has a very long initial dash and has the same running speed as Marth, which results in a top-tier level dashdance ability. Your lack of dashdancing and overuse of Arrows (a move which is both laggy and easily blockable) in neutral is causing you to build an over-reliance on N-Air approaches, as you are attempting to make up the space between you and your opponent. You only use N-Air as an approach so much because you seem feel safer if you attack just after recovering from Light Arrow's cooldown. If you would dashdance instead, you are physically closer to the opponent, you are much less likely to get punished (if you do it wisely), and you can add a huge amount of variety to your approach and punish games. Good game =]

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
So tl;dr dashdance and fair more. That actually helps a lot -- I know I'm overreliant on nair approach so a bit more variety helps tremendously. We have a pretty strong Marth player I'm likely to face in the future (it was lake then him then me in top 3 at the event those vids are from) and I'll probably just get swatted out of nair if I try it often at all. (For that matter, same with Ivysaur, as you'll probably see.)

My dashdance game has never been fantastic, even back in Melee, so working on that more will do me a lot of good in the long run. Good advice.

Also, could you clarify on what you suggest I do after getting a kill?

I do arrow a lot also. While I think it works well in this matchup because D3 is a huge target and arrows trump his projectiles pretty effectively, it's probably not as helpful a tactic elsewhere (here's hoping I never have to fight a Kirby lol).

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
So tl;dr dashdance and fair more. That actually helps a lot -- I know I'm overreliant on nair approach so a bit more variety helps tremendously. We have a pretty strong Marth player I'm likely to face in the future (it was lake then him then me in top 3 at the event those vids are from) and I'll probably just get swatted out of nair if I try it often at all. (For that matter, same with Ivysaur, as you'll probably see.)

My dashdance game has never been fantastic, even back in Melee, so working on that more will do me a lot of good in the long run. Good advice.

Also, could you clarify on what you suggest I do after getting a kill?

I do arrow a lot also. While I think it works well in this matchup because D3 is a huge target and arrows trump his projectiles pretty effectively, it's probably not as helpful a tactic elsewhere (here's hoping I never have to fight a Kirby lol).
If it helps you, try substituting a F - Air every time you would have used N-Air. It'll make the transition a bit easier, and it should work. I used to have the same problem as you with N - Air abuse, and a simple substitute cleaned up my act really quickly.
For dash dancing, just learn the space your attacks need, and weave in and out of your opponent's range. If it's a weakness for you, I'd really suggest playing marth for a while in melee to get good. I'm a marth main from Melee and although I'm now much more adept at PM than melee, I still get praise for my spacing and dashing. Even though I'm nowhere near professional level, people still point out my goodspacing after they destroy me =] Just practice dash dancing for a while and you'll get a hold of it!
After you get a KO, you should try and get towards center stage ASAP! If an opponent is chasing you with their invincibility frames, just retreat to a nearby platform or jump above them. PPMD I know has a habit of rolling when an invincible opponent approaches, and Mango will double jump off of a platform and fast fall to center stage if his opponent chases him through the platform. Things like that. Stage awareness is difficult to describe, but it's easy to "feel" in general play. Just make it a habit to return to center stage after a KO, and you'll learn how to use up an opponent's re spawn invincibility.

Sent from mobile, so excuse any bad grammars.

Life

Smash Hero
I should have mentioned I already main Marth in Melee, heh. Anyway, you've been super helpful, thanks!

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I know the troubles of nair approaching with Pit when I first started. Being a spacie main in melee definitely does not help, because our nair in melee is amazing. But then I started replacing nairs with dairs and fairs and it opened up a new combo world for me and I never looked back.

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
Oh man, I know the troubles of nair approaching with Pit when I first started. Being a spacie main in melee definitely does not help, because our nair in melee is amazing. But then I started replacing nairs with dairs and fairs and it opened up a new combo world for me and I never looked back.
N-Air has a time and place, which is more than I can say for U-Tilt *smh*

But yea, F-Airs are good, but the restrictive horizontal hitbox can cause problems. Other than that, F-Air does a lot of what newer Pit mains utilize N-Air for, but N-Air is useful for acting like a jab reset on platforms above you. And for eating through weaker projectiles.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
i know there are more under our windycitysmash youtube or twitch channel.and there are more of my videos from ufgt 10 that gimr streamed on vgbc

Life

Smash Hero
http://www.twitch.tv/pghneohsmash/b/555948406

A couple matches of my pit versus Jarvitz (Peach, at about 1:03:04) and Nakamaru (ZSS + Captain Falcon, at about 1:28:28).

I'm incredibly proud of the latter set, as Nakamaru is one of the best players in town (he usually places like top 4 at MOAL in Melee and he got second in PM at this one).

Top Bottom