• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Theory-Crafting - Compilation of info in OP

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Interesting info I find in the thread will be put into this post.

This thread will be a discussion place for advanced Pit info and mechanics. This could mean you could discuss AT's, mix ups, TAS stuff, and every other aspect of advanced Pit. Here is a compilation of the interesting info in this thread:

The Compendium of Knowledge:
Platform Drop Dair Reland on Green Hill Zone and Smashville - Pokepen (me)
This tech is available throughout a lot of the cast. It can be performed on Smashville or Green Hill Zone's platforms while they are moving. This tech is practically useless because of how little situations it can be used in. It can be performed on other stages, these 2 are just the most common.

1 - Shield Drop input
2 - Fall through Platform
3 - Dair
4 - Land back on Platform, 4 frames of landing lag
5-7 - Landing Lag
8 - Actionable

The ability to use grounded attacks out-of-shield faster than wavedashing down is what makes this ever have a use at all.

Rating: Useless

--------------------
Let's discuss advanced Pit.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Curious about the possibility of using looped arrows to cover approaches. Is there a consistent setup to loop an arrow exactly once so that you can run/foxtrot forward alongside the arrow?

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I'll post later with the specifics (or someone can dig up the post in the changes thread), but I started looking into throw followups. I only finished low percent Fox (0-40 ish), but it was really interesting. We have a DI mixup for tech chasing fox. If you di for d throw, starting at like 10 or something and you up throw you can regrab them. Just a brief illustration for now. In like a week or so I might do high percent fox and/or start another character.

As for theory, what does everyone think of doing a Ripple DDD style air camp? Obviously mix in some DD grabs, but it could be feasible. Fh, jump around a bit, and use arrows, dair, failing bair (using the lasting hit), or gliding to a plat.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Curious about the possibility of using looped arrows to cover approaches. Is there a consistent setup to loop an arrow exactly once so that you can run/foxtrot forward alongside the arrow?
This will take too much time to set up for essentially the reward of a buffed Falco Laser. If you toss the opponent from one side of the stage to the other with an attack then you may have time to set up the loop.

If you mean just getting it to loop correctly once, then I'll have to do testing in a week and a half, when I have access to PM again

I'll post later with the specifics (or someone can dig up the post in the changes thread), but I started looking into throw followups. I only finished low percent Fox (0-40 ish), but it was really interesting. We have a DI mixup for tech chasing fox. If you di for d throw, starting at like 10 or something and you up throw you can regrab them. Just a brief illustration for now. In like a week or so I might do high percent fox and/or start another character.

As for theory, what does everyone think of doing a Ripple DDD style air camp? Obviously mix in some DD grabs, but it could be feasible. Fh, jump around a bit, and use arrows, dair, failing bair (using the lasting hit), or gliding to a plat.
That sounds like a nice throw mix up. Guessing it works on falcon and the other spacies.

The Ripple air camp sounds like it could work, but I don't recommend it.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I do this a decent amount. Throw out a looped arrow, run forward, fo a risky approach such as dash grab, use looped arrow to interrupt opponents punish. Of course, its difficult to hit the opponent with the looped arrow every time, but it feels great when it works.

Edit: thinking about this more, I probably do it more when I'm above the opponent and come down and try to throw out something risky. So during one of my jumps, set up the arrow and go from there. Not too recommended tho.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I definitely hit a CPU with a looped arrow once after it grabbed me back in the 3.02 days. Was a great feeling.

I was thinking of something more specific, though. I'm beginning to think discipline is the name of the game with this character; I just got done playing a bunch of friendlies against our local Sonic (who is directly above me on our PR) and while there were lots of wild and wacky shenanigans tonight, on one game in particular I managed to threestock him on GHZ simply because I turned up the discipline factor and just kept him from being able to ever break my stranglehold on stage control (and this is Sonic we're talking about--holding stage control against that character is like trying to hold water in your fist). Watch Armada's Peach versus lesser players and you'll see what I mean.

Which is why my next PM project is to explore how arrow aiming works and see if I can't come up with some consistent and convenient "stock" arrow trajectories. Increased arrow accuracy would do wonders for Pit--sniping PK Thunder and Firespacie to end stocks, improved arrow harassment in neutral to force bad decisions from the opponent, saving your teammate in doubles, shooting certain projectiles out of the air--all of that stuff is locked behind one of the most difficult mechanics in the game, which is aiming arrows, and I think it's one of the big things that could make Pit stand out in comparison to the other sword characters in the game.

When arrows are mastered, it'll be much easier to judge their overall usefulness in a given situation, which is a prerequisite to that disciplined playstyle I'm talking about.

Top Bottom