• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Matchup Discussion - R.O.B

madival

Smash Cadet
the biggest worry pit has ,I would think, is trying to recover. It isnt easy for R.O.B. to gimp pit, but the Dair spike seems really nasty.

Riku00

Smash Ace
the biggest worry pit has ,I would think, is trying to recover. It isnt easy for R.O.B. to gimp pit, but the Dair spike seems really nasty.
It is very easy to get away from ROB's Dair. Plus the lag after the attack leaves him defenseless for like 50frames, giving any aware Pit plenty of time to punish.

Off Topic: I'm not that big on shooting arrows. I probably use them at point plank more often than i do long range.lol.
Lets see ROB Fair my Dair.lol Then if he DI's in the right direction i might just follow up with an immediate Uair. It depends on how i'm feeling.
And i just looove when they shoot the Spinning Top at me. It's soooo perfect for a glide tossing combo frenzy.....

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Dull Razor's smart lol. You can't rely on arrows for damage. Someone that's good at powershielding and playing a character with 3 moves that goes through arrows doesn't need to worry about getting hit by too many of them. The main point of them is to force you to approach. If we don't have to approach, we don't have to worry about running into kill moves.

Madival, about ROB's upsmash.
It's his strongest Smash for killing but the chances you will hit Pit with it are nonexistant. I think I can count my number of usmash kills on you on one hand.
I've played more matches with this guy than I can count lol.

madival

Smash Cadet
Played a 4 person match with 2 R.O.Bs and I think I may have found something strange. Angel rings will reflect his lazer even if I was not faceing the rob who shot it.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
I personally think its 45:55 ROB's advantage. A good advantage that Pit has is the uair, because ROB doesn't have much option from below, though I find myself having a slightly tough time against ROB.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure pit has a 55-45 favor.
I main ROB while my friend mains pit.
I am many times better than he is, but he outcamps me very easily while I am charging my laser and gyro is hard to hit with that recovery, ROB has a glide toss thought.
Even ROBs dair can gimp pits recovery, because it suffers from a brief slow moment at start, where it just slowers the fall and then goes up :p
In air, ROB wins with awesome reach.
Pits reflector is still way better as rob has a BIG lag in his one and pit can charge a full power arrow while rob is doing his reflector.

So, 50/50

Yeah, it's a bit unorganized and it was my first time doing this stuff.

Riku00

Smash Ace
Well i would say that when your facing ROB, the main thing to do is to stay out of his Dsmash range. the best way to start an attack would most likely be from the air, that is unless he's in the air. You should do your best to stay away from his Nair. Pit is a very light character though he may be classified as medium in some areas, he is a rather easy character to kill when he's at around 90+% at least when playing a ROB. I would say if he's on the ground, you need to be in the air. if he's in the air, you need to be on the ground. Again, this is just for starting combos. Note that ROB's fastest arial attack is a Fair, giving you a big airgame advantage as long as you stay out from in front of him. All lf his other arials have so much start-up lag that it gives Pit the perfect chance to take advantage of the air. Though...you should never give him enough space or time to do a neutral air because IMO that is his most davestating move.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Im aware that many ROBs do the Sidestep to Dsmash thing, some do it often and it's irritating. I fought a spammy ROB about a month ago, and I found out that a simple SH D-air (or N-air if you want) works quite well on the large target.
Some of you probably knew about this before I realized it though, ROB isnt a common sight for me.
I only do remember the humuliation against Holy's ROB about 4-5 months ago, he still owes me a rematch....

Riku00

Smash Ace
I wouldn't think so.
i'll challenge a ROB from the ROB boards later. we'll do a best 2-3. then i'll give you the results. i'll see if i can find the best one there btw, though i'm not the best pit here, but still i would say i'm descent enough for the job

KY_Des

Smash Ace
ROB get's shield poked pretty easy by Pit. Spotdoge to dsmash isn't too bad against him either. Pit as a large shield, so it takes awhile for ROB to shield poke. If you jus shorthop after he spotdodges, it's a free nair. He he spotdoges while you're doing something tho, prepare to eat a dsmash. I'd say it's 55:45 Pit. At the same time, I haven't played alot of different ROB players either, so that may be slightly biased.

50:50 is pretty reasonable, I'd say.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Pit vs. ROB matches are intense and fun. I've played a few and all of them are great for.

For Pit: Pick smaller stages. Lots with platforms too. Pit likes to camp as well as ROB does, but has a much easier time with platforms and pokes through them where ROB doesn't have many answers. I just played Riku and well... Let's say Yoshi's Island can really turn games around. >.> Also Spamming isn't the smartest thing sometimes too (Don't rule it out but be cautious). Pit May be able to outcamp ROB by a little however ROB has a lot of options for canceling arrows. I think the best way to play this matchup is to stay dominant in the air, to rule out ROB's Dsmash as an option. I think ROB can out-range Pit on the ground as well. It will take a bit of work to get into ROB, but once you are in, have a ball. He is juggled very easily. There so much diversity and pros and cons in this matchup that it's hard to choose a number, yet I don't want to say 50:50 because that's where virtually all of ROB's matchups are going, but until I can think of a solid lead I'll have to leave it at that.

Riku00

Smash Ace
I wouldn't think so.
i'll challenge a ROB from the ROB boards later. we'll do a best 2-3. then i'll give you the results. i'll see if i can find the best one there btw, though i'm not the best pit here, but still i would say i'm descent enough for the job
What had happened was...
The first match, he 2 stocked me on Smashville.
Then on the second match I 3 stocked him on Yoshi's island.
Then on the last match he 2 stocked me again on Smashville.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
What had happened was...
The first match, he 2 stocked me on Smashville.
Then on the second match I 3 stocked him on Yoshi's island.
Then on the last match he 2 stocked me again on Smashville.
Lol, ouch. Counterpicks for the win. I can always use some pit practice if any of you want more matches against ROB

KY_Des

Smash Ace
^ What? The only spike Pit has is dtilt while you hang on the ledge. And considering ROB's up B is one of the best meteor cancels in the game, there's no reason ROB should EVER die to something like that. ESPECIALLY at 0. That just sounds like a whole lot a fail to me.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
^ What? The only spike Pit has is dtilt while you hang on the ledge. And considering ROB's up B is one of the best meteor cancels in the game, there's no reason ROB should EVER die to something like that. ESPECIALLY at 0. That just sounds like a whole lot a fail to me.
could not agree more, sounds like different reps are in order

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
I guess i'll THIRD that (considering teh_pwns_the is seconding)

One of my friends is a ROB main and i rememeber he would be boasting about "Walle the immortal, (even with Ike i would Dair him and he would still come back!)

TsNmi

Smash Cadet
uSmash 2nd hit is also a spike (though nearly impossible to land)

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
1) dont test his up air it beats ur down air so if u go chasing after ROB dont do it from above
2) ROB can't dodge when in his UP B. Use this as an advantage and spam ur arrows.
3) predict the lasor and Reflect it with ur shield. ROB will become frustrated and not use it as much (Same goes with the gyro). Also most RObs will gyro then lasor so dont be in a rush to pick up the gyro.
4) same as admiral said ROBS will spot dodge then down smash. DI out of it for less damage.
5) ROBS love to Nair because it can kill and if they time it right just like pits nair it has no cool down time to shield for 2 attacks.
6)Watch out for his foward tilt the range is pretty good same goes with down tilt because it can trip u and then ROb will grab
YOUR best bet are your arrows. YOur going to have to shoot a lot of um so do so. ROB can camp but Pit does it better :) ALL in all the match up is 50-50 (the smarter more camper player wins)

TEECO

Smash Ace
When a ROB is off the ledge and getting shot at with Pit's arrows, what is the most effective way to avoid this?

Also, is it harder to fight an aggressive ROB, or a campy ROB?

(I probably should be asking this on the ROB boards, but im already here so what the heck..)

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
ROB out ranges Pit, has more killing moves and is heavier. ROB wins this matchup

Sniper X

Smash Cadet
ROB out ranges Pit, has more killing moves and is heavier. ROB wins this matchup
Only out ranges if Pit actually approaches. Hence campyness. Spam arrows. You can't be outranged in projectiles :D. Rob may be heavier, but I also believe he is a bit slower. Also his recovery may be insane, but he doesn't have glide like pit does. Pit can recover straight into a hit. Rob has to use his up B which limits his options. He does have good aerials though but he can't dodge arrows while recovering so just spam them and stay out of range of his aerials.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
When a ROB is off the ledge and getting shot at with Pit's arrows, what is the most effective way to avoid this?

Also, is it harder to fight an aggressive ROB, or a campy ROB?

(I probably should be asking this on the ROB boards, but im already here so what the heck..)
Aggressive ROB does muuuuuch better against Pit than campy ROB. Pre-emptive fairs are a *****.

uSmash 2nd hit is also a spike (though nearly impossible to land)
If you DI like ****. My Link survives that spike.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's only true advantage here is that he can Outcamp ROB with arrows and reflectors, that's probably the only thing i can think of here, havent faced a ROB in a while... well, not a Dsmash-spamming ROB that is.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Approaching with Angel Ring is really helpful. Multiple hits, racks up a bit of damage, outprioritises a lot of ROBs ground moves and reflects his gyro and laser if he shoots them while you're approaching right back at him. I'd say 50:50 btw.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that was a very good ROB, but I also don't think he was horrible. The Pit was definitely a good player. He made a few mistakes, but overall I think he was very good, never heard of him before. He's pretty legit and he obviously knew he was the better player. That ROB could use a lot of work

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it's about 50:50, and it could easily shift 5 points in either direction...it really depends. I daily play the best ROBS around the SW, and it can be dead even.

ROB's projectile game is all but useless with pit's 2 reflectors (minus the *******ery that happens when the gyroo meet AR a lot of times) and the greatness of arrow camping. Another advantage is that Pit's glidetoss is vastly superior, which can be good at punishing bad gyro throws. And while Pit and ROB have relatively the same horizontal air speed, Pit's multi-jumps and long lasting air dodge gives him a lot more mobility in the air, despite being outranged.

Another good thing to note is that this is one of the few times Pit's Uthrow have any great use, as ROB is horrid at defending from attacks from below. it's incredibly easy to punish and juggle him, try a mix of empty hops, arrows, and multi-hit air moves. The problem is that Bair, Nair, and Dair and make him dangerous to approach in air, but again, using empty hops and feigns make that a whole lot easier. Which is probably Pit's biggest advantage here: ROB's stale metagame at this point. He's kinda a one trick pony, with not a huge amount of difference between ROB to ROB play style, and it doesn't help that almost all of his moves have REALLy obvious tells (Fair, Gyro, laser, etc.). In short, Pit is way quicker and more unpredictable than the predictable ROB, which will be your greatest assest.

The cons, however, are pretty much everything else. The outreaching is the biggest problem, with Ftilt and Fair being great exampkles of big problems, and he can gimp you way easier than most of the cast, which will most likely come from laser-under-the-stage deaths.

I'd say it's close-each have advantages/disadvantages over each other, but none are so bad that they are deal breakers. I\d say it really just comes down to which type of Pit/ROB each person plays. 50:50, or no more than 55:45 for either character.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I could try the matchup out as ROB on Final Destination. I'm wanting to take a pic and maybe make a video anyway. Just contact me on any of the IM services I'm available on so that we can set up.

Top Bottom