• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit is good on YI

KY_Des

Smash Ace
I've been playing alot lately on YI and I find it to be a good stage for Pit. The uneven ground discourages wingdashing, you can't fly under the stage, and arrow looping isnt good there, but those are the only real disadvantages. This stage makes players stop over-emphasizing ATs and helps you focus on the basics.

Pit under the platform is Godly. Dthrow and Uthrow set up for excellent tech-chases, uair and nair are amazing, and it's also small enough for Pit to kill efficiently. The wall makes it easier to hit bair and his ledgecamp is in no way harmed by the stage as well.

SO

Pit+YI= Good

Discuss!!!

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
sounds like cool beans, the only real problem i have with the stage is that you cant go under it (something i do fairly frequently)

should discourage scrubs from overusing AT's

kown

Smash Lord
i disagree...

If you want platforms go to SV or BF.

Your main argument is flawed: Yoshis island doesnt become a good stage for pit because he cant do ATs on this level. that doesnt make sense...

Secondly, The walls on Yoshis Island are huge...y do u think this place is horrible for peach? because its hard to kill horizontally....unless of course you use pits bair... but you can bair and kill efficiently on ANY stage.

Third, Being able to go under a stage is actually VERY VERY useful....usually metaknights wont even try to gimp you....imo not being able to go under the stage is a HUGGE reason to choose BF or SV over YI...i mean y not???

fourth, i would choose YI over ps1 tho... but that situation never comes up.... so y worry about it?

Suyon

Smash Lord
I think Lylat Cruise would be a better choice. Three platforms, fly under stage, and some characters will fail to recover.
But if you want to hit players with bair you would need characters that are hugging close to the wall. But they could also tech as well. But the stage doesn't hurt pit in any way except for those shyguys so if people c/p me here then yeah.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
I agree with kown. If you want to shift your focus from ATs to the basics, that's totally up to the player. I personally never use ATs beyond the wing refresh to chase people offstage.
Not being able to fly under the stage reduces pit's recovery options, and predicting+punishing his recovery and get an easy kill. Also, the shyguys get in the way of pit's arrows, making it harder to set the opponent up.

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
I agree with kown. If you want to shift your focus from ATs to the basics, that's totally up to the player. I personally never use ATs beyond the wing refresh to chase people offstage.
Not being able to fly under the stage reduces pit's recovery options, and predicting+punishing his recovery and get an easy kill. Also, the shyguys get in the way of pit's arrows, making it harder to set the opponent up.
I agree to everything he said right here. This is why i ban YI all the time :) in Ps1 i could at lest manage, but b/c it a straight out wall in YI, i can't even try.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Kown pretty much said what needed to be said-YI has far too many disadvantages for Pit with not enough advantages that other stages don't already have. I always have it striked/banned, and no one seems to like using it around here anyways.

Plus, getting below the stage can mean death for the Pit, even with tricky WoI manuvering, it's incredibly easy to get footstooled comboed, spiked, or just gimped in general. And since Pit lacks a spike himself...

KY_Des

Smash Ace
i disagree...

If you want platforms go to SV or BF.

Your main argument is flawed: Yoshis island doesnt become a good stage for pit because he cant do ATs on this level. that doesnt make sense...

Secondly, The walls on Yoshis Island are huge...y do u think this place is horrible for peach? because its hard to kill horizontally....unless of course you use pits bair... but you can bair and kill efficiently on ANY stage.

Third, Being able to go under a stage is actually VERY VERY useful....usually metaknights wont even try to gimp you....imo not being able to go under the stage is a HUGGE reason to choose BF or SV over YI...i mean y not???

fourth, i would choose YI over ps1 tho... but that situation never comes up.... so y worry about it?
SV's platform moves. Trying to zone there using the platform is unrealistic and fairly ridiculous to even attempt. The uneven platforms on BF make zoning more difficult than it would be on YI bc the top platform is too high up to quickly and effectively cover with aerials.

Also, when I said "wall," I meant the actual wall, not the side blastzones. Those same blastzones are also not "huge." They're no larger than BF, if not smaller. Good MK's also won't let you continually fly under the stage. Meta's FF nair -> reverse Up B off the ledge shuts down that option.

As for not being able to abuse ATs on the stage, that was never my main argument. I just find it to be an extra plus, it really has nothing to do with how well Pit can do on the stage.

The only other stage that works in the same manner is Halberd. I like YI better bc edgeguarding is more effective since you can't pop up through the bottom of the stage.

Plus, getting below the stage can mean death for the Pit, even with tricky WoI manuvering, it's incredibly easy to get footstooled comboed, spiked, or just gimped in general. And since Pit lacks a spike himself...
Footstools dont cancel WoI, spikes kill Pit anyways bc his meteor cancelling sucks, and you dont get gimped when you recover high (which is a better option than flying under the stage in the first place).

And even if these things did work, they're in no way "easy" to hit.
omg... Yes!!!!!!!!
<3 Rouge =]

kown

Smash Lord
SV's platform moves. Trying to zone there using the platform is unrealistic and fairly ridiculous to even attempt. The uneven platforms on BF make zoning more difficult than it would be on YI bc the top platform is too high up to quickly and effectively cover with aerials.
Is your only goal for this thread is to say that Yi isnt a bad stage for pit?
cuz than there cant be a discussion cuz this is more of a personal preference.... i dont mind YI...actually i would prolly take any pit there in dittos.

Also, when I said "wall," I meant the actual wall, not the side blastzones. Those same blastzones are also not "huge." They're no larger than BF, if not smaller. Good MK's also won't let you continually fly under the stage. Meta's FF nair -> reverse Up B off the ledge shuts down that option.
The wall is harder to bair gimp opponents than having a slanted wall that sends the opponent downward.
I'd rather have the option of being able to go under the stage than not having that option.

As for not being able to abuse ATs on the stage, that was never my main argument. I just find it to be an extra plus, it really has nothing to do with how well Pit can do on the stage.
it seemed that way.

The only other stage that works in the same manner is Halberd. I like YI better bc edgeguarding is more effective since you can't pop up through the bottom of the stage.
pit being able to pop up through the bottom of the stage is a bad thing against most chars??? i see more adv. than disadv. on Halberd than YI. imo

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
I agree with KY, YI is not that bad. Maybe not the best, but a good Pit shouldn't have much trouble there. Also, if Shy Guys are continually messing up your arrow game, you should probably get better at arrows.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
I'd much rather hit my opponent and refresh a move than hit a shyguy to refresh a move.

edit: I guess I'll add why I prefer SV. Chasing your opponent on the moving platform is totally possible. If you get your opponent on his back (on the platform) while the platform is moving offstage, a good prediction could get a very low% kill with bair since the stage boundaries are so close. The SV platform won't be core to your playstyle+zoning, but it could potentially turn a game around.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Just ask palutena to refresh your moves, it would be unfortunate if you had to rely on a random thing that benefits you to help give you an edge.

Suyon

Smash Lord
Yes Palutena is within every one.......and so is God.
And I disapprove of the ghost helping Olimar when he's about to be gimped.

Esca

Smash Champion
With the whole ghost saving people thing, what I do is I get on the edge, and I wait for the ghost to come up, then I bair.

Just wait for the ghost.

Also, learn the timing on it. Randall only comes up at certain intervals.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
If you get your opponent on his back (on the platform) while the platform is moving offstage, a good prediction could get a very low% kill with bair since the stage boundaries are so close. The SV platform won't be core to your playstyle+zoning, but it could potentially turn a game around.
You can tech that. There's no reason you should ever be laying down on that platform unless you got caught by Snake and he did a Dthrow. If you wanna hit bair, bait airdodges. Uair through the platform all day to train him, then watch him screw up.

Dude, I wanted to post this, I swear, but I figured I'd get flamed.

This is my favorite Pit stage.
I ****ing love you.

Ban this stage if you are fighting Ike.
Why? The Ike in KS beat Anther in pools (yes, it's pools, but it shows the guy is legit), and we go pretty even on that stage. Ban Pirate Ship.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Why? The Ike in KS beat Anther in pools (yes, it's pools, but it shows the guy is legit), and we go pretty even on that stage. Ban Pirate Ship.
Ike gets very early kills. The downward dent on the edges makes a safer recovery plus the ghost platform.

<_<
>_>

I meant for neutrals by elimination. Yes, that's what I meant, most definitely.

**** you Pirate Ship I forgot about you. lol

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
I dislike Yoshis Island , because I hate the edges there , and I hate fighting a good Wolf on Yoshis Island.

Also I hate the fact , that you can´t fly under it.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Ike gets very early kills. The downward dent on the edges makes a safer recovery plus the ghost platform.

<_<
>_>

I meant for neutrals by elimination. Yes, that's what I meant, most definitely.

**** you Pirate Ship I forgot about you. lol
Yea ur right. It's easier to fight Ike on the other neutrals. Pirate ship, Green Greens, and Luigi's Mansion are all good stages for Ike, so look out for those.

I like FD or BF against Ike. You can survive longer on FD or abuse the platforms on BF, and it's easier to gimp him on these stages than on the other neutrals.

I dislike Yoshis Island , because I hate the edges there , and I hate fighting a good Wolf on Yoshis Island.

Also I hate the fact , that you can´t fly under it.
Yea Wolf is kinda good on that stage when you let him set the pace. He's not that great if you stay under the platform tho.
Dude I love YOU.

I had Pirate Ship. Zeton took me there for NO reason. I never played there.
We play on stupid *** stages, so if we can't think of anything better we take you to a ******** stage hoping you're not good on it.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I like doing retreating arrows on the ledges of yoshi island, if you time it right you slide off and grab the edge.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
YI is awful for Pit... I can't even imagining fighting there against an opponent that can spike with his/her Dair.

ButI agree that it's not impossible for Pit to fight there, how many stages are worse for Pit then YI?

Top Bottom