• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Matchups Discussion

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Yeah Pika does quite nicely against snake. I was spamming thunderjolts and he kept trying to use Nikki. It seems thunderjolt stops the missiles cold. Pikachu seems to make most of snake's tricks ineffective reducing him to his laggy aerials, smashs, and his amazing tilts. I think Pika can handle that though.

I was wondering what you all though of Pika vs Zelda, vs R.O.B, vs Pokemon Trainer, Link, Mario, Diddy, and Toon Link.

gallax

Smash Hero
I play pika against a really good R.O.B. player and it seems to me that it is an even matchup. Trying to edgeguard against R.O.B. is nearly impossible at low percentages since he can use his upB after ges been hit until his gas runs out . He is also a fairly heavy charachter so killing him is more difficult than him killing pikachu. Any of R.O.B's fair or dair is deadly to pikachu at fairly high percentages. Chaingrabbing is one of Pikachu's stregnths though. Spamming pika's neutral B and thundering seem to be pretty effective while dmash is always a big plus. Basically this matchup comes down to whoever is a better player.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
It's called spacing. Marth out ranges all of Pikachu's close range options, not to mention how easy it is to deal with Thunder Jolts. He can just jab them or perfect shield.

Try to D-smash a good Marth and you will hit nothing, but air and then meet his sword for your wasted effort.

Summary = Marth has advantage Pikachu.

Pika is still good though.
Emblem Lord just looks for matchup sections to come out, just so he can tell people how good Marth is ;p

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Only trouble with Pikachu i have is G&W, Lucas, Wolf, and Olimar. I have yet to fight a good Ness with Pikachu.

Mario just counters a campy Pikachu. but Pikachu has more priority then Mario and his projectile out spams his. It's not hard to aggro Mario.

Marth vs Pika, Marth has more range in general ok stop debating this. Marth is LIGHT though Pika is lighter, doesn't mean Pika can't kill Marth fast either. The only problem is Marth's range in his aerials over Pikachu's. But fair is punishable now and bair is slow compared to Marth's other attacks. Also pikachu does have QAC.

Wolf's range > Pikachu's range and his shine stops Pikachu from attempting to grab him. (I mean against good wolves who know how to play, not spammers)

Pika vs Rob, i believe 50/50. Rob's aerials kill, but are slow. Pika's aerials are faster so timing is key. Either attack before his come out or punish after he attacks. CAREFUL with nair, its tricky at first. Gyro stops jolts 50% of the time, (meaning Jolt goes into it OR over it) lot of Robs throw one out to stop you come camping. Using gyro against him is fun, and glide tossing is also fun xD. Watch out when he does it though. Don't spam thunder or jolt on the ground (who does..?) cause side B will reflect it at you. Thunder only when Rob is in hit stun cause his side B has start up lag.

>.> am I the only one who has trouble against G&W? His bair stops anything i do.

gallax

Smash Hero
i have a problem fighting lucas. his uptilts and upsmash combine with his ability to absorb my thunderjolt is a huge problem. I cant camp since he can heal himself. i only use thunder attacks when I can. i mainly rely on dsmash, grabbing, and QAC. Anybody have any good tactics against lucas?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
counter pick >.>

umm, yea i have that same problem. But his forward smash was more of a problem to me since that thing is fast and strong. its faster than pika's fsmash which is problematic. my tactic is tilts and aerials on Lucas. Smash when he's open. fair > dsmash. Still i find it hard to use pikachu though.

gallax

Smash Hero
any good lucas player spams the pk fire until you get close and then merc's with his smashes and tilts. i think pika is at a disadvantage. any good tips of who to use against a lucas?

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
You can powershield PK fire and punish a Lucas with a grab for overusing it. However, Lucas can frustrate Pikachu's approach with nair into ftilt. The safest way to fight against it is to shield every hit of the nair and try to time a SH dair to hit him right as he's about to attack, but it's still hard to punish him for it. I'd say the matchup is even though, if I had to give my opinion.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Best characters to use Pikachu against : Pit, Ness, Lucas, Meta-Knight, Wario, Olimar, the Pokemon Trainer's Charizard, Ike, Bowser, King Dedede, Snake...pretty much any slow or aerial-based character is a bad match-up against Pikachu.

gallax

Smash Hero
Best characters to use Pikachu against : Pit, Ness, Lucas, Meta-Knight, Wario, Olimar, the Pokemon Trainer's Charizard, Ike, Bowser, King Dedede, Snake...pretty much any slow or aerial-based character is a bad match-up against Pikachu.
idk whether you are saying these are good or bad matchups for pikachu. DDD, snake, bowser, and ike are wrecked by pika. ness, lucas, and MK **** pika. olimar tends to be diff for most pika's, so it usually comes down to the better player. little knowledge for charizard. keep the matchup discussion on the weekly discussions board please too. input is needed from everybody. EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Lucas doesnt have an advantage on pikachu, thundershocks actually do work if you know how to use them as an approach, if Lucas tries to absorb it then attack him while he does it. Even if he absorbs the thundershock being able to stay aggresive more then makes up for it. And anytime Lucas cant keep you at a distance pikachu has strong game against him.

doommachine15

Smash Ace
Half of you are ********....And yes VEC pikachu does own snake lol....my pikachu is 1000000 better then all of yours...you can all quit or switch to another main...man am I cocky...

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
I KO my sister's Pikachu with Falco. Pikachu isn't good against Falco. When my sister uses thunder( which she uses all the time), I just press down B and she gets some punishment for spamming a move.

gallax

Smash Hero
Lucas doesnt have an advantage on pikachu, thundershocks actually do work if you know how to use them as an approach, if Lucas tries to absorb it then attack him while he does it. Even if he absorbs the thundershock being able to stay aggresive more then makes up for it. And anytime Lucas cant keep you at a distance pikachu has strong game against him.
uhh...not really. lucas has a big advantage here. of course you can always get one or two tjolts in but any projectile(including thunder) cannot be used since it gives lucas a ton of health. lucas spams the pkF and if get in close or try and roll dodge around he can usmash. his airiels are much more effective in this matchup too. i would say more but im saving it for lucas in the matchup thread, the stickied one.

Roller

Smash Legend
uhh...not really. lucas has a big advantage here. of course you can always get one or two tjolts in but any projectile(including thunder) cannot be used since it gives lucas a ton of health. lucas spams the pkF and if get in close or try and roll dodge around he can usmash. his airiels are much more effective in this matchup too. i would say more but im saving it for lucas in the matchup thread, the stickied one.
I actually have a friend who mains lucas and I beat him all the time. Just only use projectiles at the right times, and only thunder when you know you can get away with it. I often set him up for a thunder, then just jump up and Nair him.

QuACing also helps me a lot, QuACing from diagonally above in the air, then back across on the ground, then I F-tilt/smash depending on how close I am.

The Lucas matchup really comes down to who has the better mindgames.

Roller

Smash Legend
im just saying for the avaerage players, lucas has the advantage like 6:4.
Well, it shouldn't matter the skill level of the pika player, matchups are determined assuming players are equal in skill. That said, no matter which skill level they are at it is the mindgames that make the difference. Obviously if you are only an avg pika going up against an above avg lucas you will have not such a good matchup.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
As a Meta Knight main who regularly fights a Pikachu main, I have these two cents to throw in.

Pika on the ground > MK on the ground
MK in the air > Pika in the air
Tornado > Thunder Jolt

MK has the advantage, but at equal skill levels I don't think it's as bad as people say.

Top Bottom