• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Aerial Interrupt on Battlefield - Fastest way possible to get to side platforms

Pud'N

Smash Cadet
So i was janking around with pikachu who Im considering picking up as a main, when i noticed that he has a way to do an aerial interupt on Bfield. Now if you dont know much about this technique, Samus players are pretty into it, basically what happens is the way your hurtbox is shaped during an aerial (In samuses case, Uair) causes you to land on a platform where you otherwise wouldnt because it touches the platform.

In the case of some aerial interrupts, it occurs during autocancel frames, allowing you to be active and moving instantly, similar to a waveland, but even more speed and options.

Now I havent tried it on other stages, so im going to experiment as well as the rest of everyone should (Looking at you Aximus) because this is super perfect for chasing on platforms

I havent been able to do the interupt from a standing jump, you have to get a running start, full jump through a platform, and start the Fair when youre like about to be just above it. Its not super hard to do consitently either! This further makes Battlefield a great CP, but if we can do it on other stages mmmmm girl.

Have fun Pikas!

EDIT: You can definitely do this from any grounded full jump to a side platform. The timing isn't frame perfect from releasing jump, its like a very short pause between and then fairing. Feels like the same timing as a running one.

EDIT 2: I probably shouldve done more testing before making this, dreamland is also very easy to do it on. Tried it on Poke and Yoshis (Not FoD because inconsistency) and I doubt you can, they might just be too low

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
It's very useful on frame data. Axe hasn't even put this into his playstyle. So if a Pika wanted to climb the ranks using this, it would have an unknown outcome. I hope to see it implemented in tournament play though.

Edit: Does not work on every stages. my b

Last edited:

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
This does NOT work on every stage. You cannot do an AI onto the platforms on Yoshi's or Pokemon, and I'm not sure the side platforms on FoD are high enough. You could do it in theory on Yoshi's if you started below the ledge, off the stage, but you can't do it from on the stage except onto the top platform.

I told Axe about this at EVO and he seemed interested but yeah he isn't using it at all still. I think it could be really good for techchasing, as well as some cool things like up-throw -> upsmash on floaties if you're under a platform at some percents.

Pud'N

Smash Cadet
This does NOT work on every stage. You cannot do an AI onto the platforms on Yoshi's or Pokemon, and I'm not sure the side platforms on FoD are high enough. You could do it in theory on Yoshi's if you started below the ledge, off the stage, but you can't do it from on the stage except onto the top platform.

I told Axe about this at EVO and he seemed interested but yeah he isn't using it at all still. I think it could be really good for techchasing, as well as some cool things like up-throw -> upsmash on floaties if you're under a platform at some percents.
I think aerial interupts are very underrated, It doesn't save a huuuuge amount of frames, but it really does open up a lot for platform techchase windows (Id like to see exactly how many more frames you save from this compared to a waveland) but also for just general platform movement. You can do this from sideplatforms onto top platform as well and its just really clean and smooth. Very pretty.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Cool find dude! There are 2 types of AIs possible with fair. Regular AI, and an AIA (aerial interrupt attack). An AIA simply means it has a hitbox before landing.

Regular AI

Battlefield
1 - Jumpsquat
2 - Jumpsquat
3 - Jumpsquat
9 - Fair
16 - Land (autocancel)
20 - Actionable

For reference, fullhop waveland has you actionable on frame 27.

Dreamland
1-3 - Jumpsquat
11 - Fair
18 - Land (autocancel)
22 - Actionable

AIA

Battlefield

1-3 - Jumpsquat
4 - Fair
13 - Hitbox
14 - Hitbox
15 - Hitbox
16 -
17 - Land (need to lcancel)
27 - Actionable

Dreamland
n/a

You can do both of these with doublejump and correct spacing, you just gotta feel it out.

As I'm sure most pika mains know, you can AIA with dair. Although it's a little awkward describing it as an aerial interrupt, because it's pretty obvious and intentional for pikachu to move downward during that move. But in terms of mechanics, it only moves the collision box downward and not his actual position, and that is considered an AI.

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Can it be done to get from the side platform to the top platform on battlefield? I feel like that would be as/more useful than going from the ground to the side platform

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Can it be done to get from the side platform to the top platform on battlefield? I feel like that would be as/more useful than going from the ground to the side platform
Yup, it's the same timing, because the top plat is exactly 2 times as high as the mid plats.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Cool. Jump wave land just isn't fast enough to cover tech in place shine the majority of the time, so this will help my techchases a lot. Thanks

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Time to practice then. I'm sick of being forced to read to techchase on platforms. This should be fast enough to beat out that pesky tech in place shine. Thanks!!!

proxibomb

Smash Clown

Major apologies for getting this wrong. Could've sworn I did it. lol

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
So just for confirmation, on battlefield, inputting fair on frames 5-8 won't result in an AI? Just wondering if you could still take advantage of the auto-cancel frame advantage for tech-chasing with grab with a 5 frame leniency.

Edit: Sorry, Re-read and realized you have to L cancel for the AIA, disregard what I said.

Last edited:

chipz

Smash Apprentice

https://gfycat.com/ChiefSpotlessDolphin
have to be touching the edge

edit: easy setup from edge cancelling
https://gfycat.com/UniqueBrilliantDoctorfish
thx vorheese for suggesting

the green in between the fair and dsmash is just me wasting frames

Last edited:

chipz

Smash Apprentice
im not sure, since if you dont do it on frame 1 (?) it wont collide with the platform
could be wrong but it functioned the same when i tried it

OopBop

Smash Rookie
The only reason you can execute an aerial interrupt to the side platforms of BF is because of the gravity quirk. You actually don't jump as high as normal if you throw out an aerial on the first airborne frame, otherwise Pikcahu jumps too high, this is the gravity quirk, so aerial interrupts are a lot easier to get on the top platforms by dropping off the side of the side platforms even slightly and double jump dairing/fairing to the top platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom