• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
How do I deal with Luigi's Fair ?

It hits me at times and I'm just at a lost for what to do.

Pikachu starts looking buggy and feels rubbery when it hits.

What I'm trying to ask is how I avoid the rubbery sensation from Pikachu being hit.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
N-air from Luigi at times is unavoidable simply because of how quickly it comes out. Honestly, shielding after any follow up that leaves you immensely close to him is probably one of the simplest ways to avoid getting hit by it.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
N-air from Luigi at times is unavoidable simply because of how quickly it comes out. Honestly, shielding after any follow up that leaves you immensely close to him is probably one of the simplest ways to avoid getting hit by it.
You do realise I said Fair, right ?

Thor

Smash Champion
I'd quote Isai again but that's probably not productive for the fair question.

I think Luigi double fair is a frame trap on its own if you're not near the ground, so avoiding it is tricky... - double fair has insane speed... I don't know how avoid the rubberyness, unless that's induced by rumble, at which point you should turn it off. His air speed is lame so you could try to skull bash away if you need to avoid it that bad while high up, though that's likely unsafe. QA[C] can get you away too, or else just try to uair or fair him maybe, as you might be able to clip him with a counterattack. We should probably ask ESAM about this though.

Also why don't we have a thread with all the frame data and hitbox animations of Pikachu? The various Melee character boards [seem to - didn't check them all] have them for all their characters and it would be very helpful (Although Melee's been around longer and there's probably some technical stuff I don't understand right now preventing this from occurring...).

EDIT: I just checked and saw frame data was linked in the "New to Pikachu" forum, but I didn't see hitbox pics...

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I'd quote Isai again but that's probably not productive for the fair question.

I think Luigi double fair is a frame trap on its own if you're not near the ground, so avoiding it is tricky... - double fair has insane speed... I don't know how avoid the rubberyness, unless that's induced by rumble, at which point you should turn it off. His air speed is lame so you could try to skull bash away if you need to avoid it that bad while high up, though that's likely unsafe. QA[C] can get you away too, or else just try to uair or fair him maybe, as you might be able to clip him with a counterattack. We should probably ask ESAM about this though.

Also why don't we have a thread with all the frame data and hitbox animations of Pikachu? The various Melee character boards [seem to - didn't check them all] have them for all their characters and it would be very helpful (Although Melee's been around longer and there's probably some technical stuff I don't understand right now preventing this from occurring...).

EDIT: I just checked and saw frame data was linked in the "New to Pikachu" forum, but I didn't see hitbox pics...
Is this what you were looking for? http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ch-thread-qa-frame-data-added-1-26-11.244279/

Chappified

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing Pikachu lately and I love using him (against heavy characters like DK or D3). As a speedrunner, I really enjoyed finding the strats that make up the full run. I kind of want to do the same in Smash, in that I want to find things like new techniques and such. My question is, if I were to look for useful techs for Pikachu, what kind of things would be useful? This might be a bad question, or just poorly worded, but I think you guys get what I mean.

Thor

Smash Champion
QAC, skarring the ledge with QA, Pikastorming (SH AC'd dair) (or do a FH AC'd dair onto SV platform, think it works on BF too) are things that are useful I guess... I can do the latter well, the first okayish, and I don't know/care to do the middle one currently.

I don't know how you plan to invent new techniques at the current of age of Brawl, but good luck with that...

Chappified

Smash Rookie
Im not expecting to.

Edit: I guess I was just worked up because I was playing w/ Pikachu a lot this weekend and I realized how that he was a lot more complicated than I thought he was, and definitely more complicated than my Marth, MK, Toon Link, Sheik, or Mario play so I was hoping that there'd by a chance I'd find something new that would make Pikachu bette.r

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Chappified Chappified
Well, all you do is: FH T-Jolt > Dash Behind it > Shield Slide into range/Tip space D-Tilt

We use our shield and D-Tilt to help net a dashgrab/pivot grab

DashGrabs/pivotgrabs are our main thing since we can do alot from D-Throw

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Pikachu certainly isn't exactly what I'd call "simple". Maybe his general game plan could be deemed simple, but we don't want to you to mistaken him as a character who is easy to play. It is often said that Pikachu can be easy to pick up but difficult to master. He's rather technical too but not to the point where he's so complex that you need to know every bit of his tech to make him viable in the competitive environment.

Overall, he's cute and fun to play. He's got a fancy factor too and some neat, eye-catching tricks as well, such as QAC and the lock set ups, chain grabs, and guaranteed follow ups.

SiriusPika

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. I see a couple of threads on pika's down throw chain grab. But I see nothing about his forward throw. I can't seem to get that down. Can someone tell me when I have to start buffering my dash forward to be able to chain grab again or up smash? Any video would also help. Thanks

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Fthrow a character and hold shield. When your shield pops up is the end of the fthrow animation. After you get a good idea of when the animation ends, start inputting the dash/dash grab right before it.

joelsdaman1

Smash Cadet
NNID
joelsdaman1
3DS FC
4785-6676-7225
What's the use of Pika's bthrow? Other than being the most bad-ass looking, it doesn't seem to set anything up or do extra damage.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It's used to get your opponent off stage and it's pretty great on walk-off stages for early kills.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Back throw is amazing for positioning your opponent too. It get them decently placed off stage as Pikabunz said, and walk off kills. It's good for getting some space I guess, as well.​

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this guy ESAM. I heard he beat Ally at Sktar. Is he good?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ pidgezero_one pidgezero_one <3
I was so hoping that ESAM was going take that tournament. He was playing remarkably well.
I've gotten a lot more comfortable playing against Marth because of ESAM's tactics. When he played Leon, I was already aware that he'd make it far in the tournament. He was riding a wave of momentum

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Why is it that Pikachus don't use the front part of U-Tilt consistently? It covers our entire front side, goes into other moves, clashes reliably, and only has 10 frames of recovery; I don't get it :/

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ Angiance Angiance : When you first told me about front side u-tilt, I quickly implemented it into my game. It's very useful.

Another thing I really need to implement into my play is walking. I run possibly too much and I need to take it more slow

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Angiance Angiance : When you first told me about front side u-tilt, I quickly implemented it into my game. It's very useful.

Another thing I really need to implement into my play is walking. I run possibly too much and I need to take it more slow
I agree. Walking really helps us stay paced and can intimidate the opponent; just look at 9B

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Look at the Japanese in general.

Anyone here know how to approach ZSS or any MU advice?

I lose to the same ZSS every tournament, I always have to play him in pools and early in bracket at literally every tournament. (it's a curse)
He beats all of my characters, but I never try pikachu on him in tournament.
I don't even think he's better than me. I just suck against ZSS.

All he does is Run away and pivot Dsmash, side B, neutral B, and has really good spacing.
I just need to know how to get in and what to do once I get in.

Top Bottom