• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm still questioning D-Tilt as a spacing weapon. I understand it's quick recovery, trip capability, safety on-shield, and long horizontal range.

It has zero vertical range, is why I question it. Like, good spacing is control over horizontal AND vertical area, no? F-Tilt is faster, while also controlling BOTH areas, unlike D-Tilt.

D-Tilt's hitbox is also out for such a short time, doesn't seem great for spacing. Help?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Pikasliding is immensely useful, plus d-tilt ends faster. In all honesty, I think the slide is one of the biggest reasons; it maintains space immediately after the attack.

It adds another form of mobility for him so it's valued.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
But y'see, any form of air completely nulls D-Tilt; if the opponent approaches via air (what about every opponent does), performing it pretty much allows them to gain so much distance against us since we're stuck in it's startup, active, and recovery frames

F-Tilt, on the other hand, tackles both areas. Also, it's recovery isn't the best, but it has a lengthy hitbox, and is just way better than D-Tilt on reaction

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, first of all, if you're spacing your d-tilt correctly, you shouldn't be worrying about getting hit by an aerial in the first place. Second, d-tilt starts and ends quick enough to jump up and n-air someone who gets too close while using that move. Third, if someone tries to punish a whiffed d-tilt with aerial, pikaslide f-smash isn't a bad option to stay safe and avoid the hit. I was experimenting with pikasliding yesterday and obtained impressive results against my opponents.

F-tilt could be deemed better on reaction and it isn't a bad option at all. Great move, but I still believe d-tilt is the better spacing move overall. F-tilt is good for aerial approaches I guess, but other than that I think the move is still subpar in comparison to d-tilt.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
But y'see, any form of air completely nulls D-Tilt; if the opponent approaches via air (what about every opponent does), performing it pretty much allows them to gain so much distance against us since we're stuck in it's startup, active, and recovery frames

F-Tilt, on the other hand, tackles both areas. Also, it's recovery isn't the best, but it has a lengthy hitbox, and is just way better than D-Tilt on reaction

Hey turd brains.

If we use your logic, Metaknight's down tilt AND forward tilt (first two hits) are horrible, because they have literally no vertical range.
The reason that it's good is because it's a quick safe poking move than can pressure your opponent.

If the opponent is in the air approaching use f-tilt, Mk's use SL on reaction not d-tilt.

Anyone with a minor form of intelligence will know you can't hit a bird with an earthquake when it's flying.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
1PokeMastr said:
Hey turd brains.

If we use your logic, Metaknight's down tilt AND forward tilt (first two hits) are horrible, because they have literally no vertical range.

The reason that it's good is because it's a quick safe poking move than can pressure your opponent.

If the opponent is in the air approaching use f-tilt, Mk's use SL on reaction not d-tilt.

Anyone with a minor form of intelligence will know you can't hit a bird with an earthquake when it's flying.
That's why you teach your Jigglypuff Gravity, scrub.

I think the point they're making is that MK ftilt is stupidly safe and dtilt has huge ISAI (can crawl baby!), Pika dtilt is only moderately safe, so it's not quite as ridiculous unfortunately.

Admittedly I agree with you though. Dtilt is pretty awesome. (Also you're ducking when you do it, which reduces your vertical hitboxes - so they need a lower coverage aerial to hit you - as an example, Diddy Kong fair might not hit unless it's a low fair, if they do read your dtilt).

Angiance

Smash Lord
Did some experimenting, now I dislike F-Tilt and love D-Tilt ^-^

What's better?
D-Tilt > Shield
D-Tilt > Turn around
D-Tilt > SH/FH

I'm trying to become extremely aggressive

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
My favorite option after d-tilt is the turn around, haha. The amount of space it moves you is so perfect, in my opinion.
Those other options are good too though. Circumstantial, of course.

Thor

Smash Champion
Angiance said:
Simply put; we obliterate heavy weights
O-B-L-I-T-E-R-A-T-E <3 <3 <3
Wario excepted of course.

Ike just suffers because Pikachu can camp him well. It's more or less the same problem Ike has with Falco and Olimar [and Samus?].

Also Angiance, keep in mind aggressive Pikachu might work, or it might get eaten alive by super patient ICs - you can be aggressive, but we're not MK so we don't have as safe a shield pressure, especially not versus those terrible twins. But whatever works for you, works.

Also I'm surprised no one liked my somewhat obscure Pokémon move reference earlier.

Anybody want to tell me Zelda's glaring weaknesses I'm not exploiting? While I've never played a Zelda I can't beat, and I know to SDI dtilt ASAP, is there something I'm missing that makes this MU -2? It feels more -1 to me... and no, I don't have any problems with Din's Fire (I still need to figure out the usmash SDI, but I get out of fsmash fine by mashing up).

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ Thor Thor : I didn't get the reference at first =o
But for Zelda, for one thing, she can do very little to you when you're directly under her. D-air comes out too slow for her to stop pika's amazing juggle game, yet an irritated zelda will go for it anyway. N-air and air dodge are her only really options and those aren't that great in that predicament.

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I'll see about that =o
I've got a tournament to attend on Saturday and another on Sunday so I need the practice!
Monday is my last day of school too so I'll have a lot more free time starting then.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Wario excepted of course.

Ike just suffers because Pikachu can camp him well. It's more or less the same problem Ike has with Falco and Olimar [and Samus?].

Also Angiance, keep in mind aggressive Pikachu might work, or it might get eaten alive by super patient ICs - you can be aggressive, but we're not MK so we don't have as safe a shield pressure, especially not versus those terrible twins. But whatever works for you, works.

Also I'm surprised no one liked my somewhat obscure Pokémon move reference earlier.

Anybody want to tell me Zelda's glaring weaknesses I'm not exploiting? While I've never played a Zelda I can't beat, and I know to SDI dtilt ASAP, is there something I'm missing that makes this MU -2? It feels more -1 to me... and no, I don't have any problems with Din's Fire (I still need to figure out the usmash SDI, but I get out of fsmash fine by mashing up).

Ike loses -1 to Falco, it's not that hard of a MU for him.

Thor

Smash Champion
Angiance said:
You aren't using old MU charts, right pika?
What are the new ones? I might be, I might not be - linking me to them (or putting it in a post) would be appreciated.

1PokeMastr said:
Ike loses -1 to Falco, it's not that hard of a MU for him.
Also someone said Pika's a bad MU for Ike, and both are -1 from the charts I saw, so I mentioned him... and that MU is still not fun for Ike - Falco has faster boxing (not by much, but it's there) + CG + his usual camping when Ike's not fast. Fortunately for Ike, he's rather fat and can KO early on a lightweight like Falco.

Or is there something I'm missing? Is Pika vs Ike notably worse than Falco vs Ike?

I'll repeat this again...

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
What are the new ones? I might be, I might not be - linking me to them (or putting it in a post) would be appreciated.

Also someone said Pika's a bad MU for Ike, and both are -1 from the charts I saw, so I mentioned him... and that MU is still not fun for Ike - Falco has faster boxing (not by much, but it's there) + CG + his usual camping when Ike's not fast. Fortunately for Ike, he's rather fat and can KO early on a lightweight like Falco.

Or is there something I'm missing? Is Pika vs Ike notably worse than Falco vs Ike?

I'll repeat this again...
- Someone's already noted that Zelda has really bad options coming down so Up Air spam her.
- Nayru's has quite a bit of endlag so I think you can FH -> TJ and then punish with F-Smash if Zelda keeps doing it.
- If you knock Zelda off stage she has a good recovery but I think you should be able to punish. If you knock her under the stage even if she techs it's GG.
- More stuff? Can't really think.

Jesse Abercrombie

Smash Rookie
- Someone's already noted that Zelda has really bad options coming down so Up Air spam her.
- Nayru's has quite a bit of endlag so I think you can FH -> TJ and then punish with F-Smash if Zelda keeps doing it.
- If you knock Zelda off stage she has a good recovery but I think you should be able to punish. If you knock her under the stage even if she techs it's GG.
- More stuff? Can't really think.
Ike's not fat, he is just muscular, and awesome.

Thor

Smash Champion
I say fat to refer to heavier characters. Similarly, Samus is far from fat, but her in-game weight (due to power suit?) means I sometimes call her "fat".

I shall simply say "has a high in-game weight value" to avoid offending people from now on.

Last edited:

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Zelda is a joke you dont actaully have to fight her shes slow as heck I play that MU by playing very very mobile. very hit run and pokey. dont try overstaying your welcome in the CQC though you will murder you i found the good zeldas ive faced to be really really rough to fight up close. her dins fire is really easy to dodge and her recovery is just bad. fight her like every hit shes gonna hit you with will kill you. they almost never use Nayrus love all that much either and if they do free punish. also i find her kill moves really predictable. in terms of stages just go to where there are platforms you can camp her better. I cannot remember if Usmash reaches through platforms but i recall her upwards platform pressure being god awful just dont get lightning kicked.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No, it's the character. Unless you know somebody's specific habits you don't play against them, you play against the character. The player can only do what the character can.

Top Bottom