• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Z: We'll practice sometime in the future | @Ookami: Yes, our character takes an extremely long time to get used to in button lag -_-;

Zee725

Smash Apprentice
If you're relying on your tech to win, you're doing something wrong to begin with. Again it's just for practice purposes, i've got a plethora of characters if anyone needs MU experience.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Wifi screws Pika for me IMO the lag causes me way to much missed inputs i find played on a projector even just throws my timing out the window right out the window. Hes just to precise in some MUs and missing things even slightly means your gonna get creamed. a great example is try fighting marth on wifi it gets silly. when you can properly shield him he just cleans shop. that might be more a me sucking at adapting to input lag though cause at home and smashfests/tourneys we never use a laggy TV thus i dont regularly do it. If i ever spend a while wifiing make absolutely SURE you play a local match on a normal setup. Wifi helps with reads and what not though and if your thrown off because AIB is down try joining their FB group or the various smash FB groups. in ontario we have a social skype group which is always fun.

Anyone got good ways to practice Powershield/walking PS?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
If you're relying on your tech to win, you're doing something wrong to begin with. Again it's just for practice purposes, i've got a plethora of characters if anyone needs MU experience.
I hope you realize what you said. That's actually not true at all, considering this game revolves around tech skill. Tech skill as in every little thing that we competitive players practice in general. ICs doesn't have a chance online if they can't chain grab, Pika needs very precises timing for everything he does; your statement was completely illogical. Online can mess with spacing, timing, tech, and all of that. There's nothing wrong with playing online, but you have to understand why other people prefer not to.

Anyone got good ways to practice Powershield/walking PS?
If you have someone who can help you, get on opposite sides of Final Destination and have use consecutive t-jolts. Practice progressing toward them while power shielding them. Try it with different projectiles too and you'll get the hang of it.
Power shielding physical attacks is all about reads.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah Z you're kinda wrong about that. Also, reaction time plays a huge role in the game and wifi destroys that, which is why I'm ass at it.

MrHakuchu

Smash Rookie
NNID
PikminHaku
I play Wifi and I need some Training and Practice. I´m thank full for every help with Pikachu. Cause our best Pikachu in Germany doesn´t play anymore ._.

PZ

Smash Lord
I really like FH nair or uair out of shield but yea pretty much the options coming down aren't the variety that anyone would be looking for except if your willing to take risks. The latter is probably the safer in many giving situations considering the cool down of uair.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It depends on the MU, honestly. I like FH dair vs a lot of characters to beat out their jump option, and it is a nice mix-up vs some characters like wario and falco.

Thor

Smash Champion
Zee725 said:
I'd take you up on practice but I have limited internet, not much time, and you'd probably walk all over me unless you went like Ganondorf and I brought out my Falco (my current solution to Olimar but I need to get way better at him, same for Pikachu...). I might be a little bit better than that but don't really have time to practice so I'm sure I'm getting worse.

FBC ESAM said:
Yeah Z you're kinda wrong about that. Also, reaction time plays a huge role in the game and wifi destroys that, which is why I'm *** at it.
Maybe I'm wrong but like, I think Z meant that if you have to play super-techy to beat random people you're doing it wrong - like I play this one guy who sort of knows what he's doing and still walk all over him without trying to mindgame him or anything. If you're playing meh people, just bait and punish is probably enough without trying to QAC lock them (or something like that), which I'm guessing is what he meant (if you have to out-tech random people, you're probably doing it wrong). But I might be wrong. And playing each other, tech skill would matter so... you need tech skill to play people who are competent and hit bracket (and do work) in tourneys and such.

And at the basic level you still probably need to be able to SH to play well, but Wifi shouldn't mess that up (otherwise your Wifi is whacked). And reaction time is important, but that's what dsmash spamming is for! (No seriously though, you can dsmash out of so many bad situations on Wifi if your opponent can't SDI, it's kind of saddening...).

And yeah using QA to recover is a pain on Wifi (and if you think that's bad, try PK Thunder...).

---

I also like FH dair to try to mess up characters who are trying to zone with SH ____ (ex: Kirby bair), because some chase and get hit, but it's not something I do regularly. And if some look to punish too fast fair or nair or even another dair can cover landings (so can landing without an attack if out of range and following with a tomahawk immediately after to seem aggressive but get back on ground). Otherwise landing with uair is okay, landing with bair can surprise some people but it's way too punishable to do more than maybe once. FH RAR'd bair can work but that's a wacky "let's try something to get in your head" and not useful as a tool, at least in my opinion (if I'm RARing bairs, 90% of the time, it's not when I'm winning).

Zee725

Smash Apprentice
I'd take you up on practice but I have limited internet, not much time, and you'd probably walk all over me unless you went like Ganondorf and I brought out my Falco (my current solution to Olimar but I need to get way better at him, same for Pikachu...). I might be a little bit better than that but don't really have time to practice so I'm sure I'm getting worse.

Maybe I'm wrong but like, I think Z meant that if you have to play super-techy to beat random people you're doing it wrong - like I play this one guy who sort of knows what he's doing and still walk all over him without trying to mindgame him or anything. If you're playing meh people, just bait and punish is probably enough without trying to QAC lock them (or something like that), which I'm guessing is what he meant (if you have to out-tech random people, you're probably doing it wrong). But I might be wrong. And playing each other, tech skill would matter so... you need tech skill to play people who are competent and hit bracket (and do work) in tourneys and such.

And at the basic level you still probably need to be able to SH to play well, but Wifi shouldn't mess that up (otherwise your Wifi is whacked). And reaction time is important, but that's what dsmash spamming is for! (No seriously though, you can dsmash out of so many bad situations on Wifi if your opponent can't SDI, it's kind of saddening...).

And yeah using QA to recover is a pain on Wifi (and if you think that's bad, try PK Thunder...).

---

I also like FH dair to try to mess up characters who are trying to zone with SH ____ (ex: Kirby bair), because some chase and get hit, but it's not something I do regularly. And if some look to punish too fast fair or nair or even another dair can cover landings (so can landing without an attack if out of range and following with a tomahawk immediately after to seem aggressive but get back on ground). Otherwise landing with uair is okay, landing with bair can surprise some people but it's way too punishable to do more than maybe once. FH RAR'd bair can work but that's a wacky "let's try something to get in your head" and not useful as a tool, at least in my opinion (if I'm RARing bairs, 90% of the time, it's not when I'm winning).
^Is the only one who understands me, **** ALL THE REST OF YOU WHOMPY ASS ******

Thor

Smash Champion
Angiance said:
Oh wow, Z, your choice of words makes you sound sooooooooo proffesional~
So does your spelling of the word "professional." XD Just kidding.

FBC Esam said:
Z I don't need to understand you, get back to me when you get above 9th at a national~
I need to understand him though, so I do try. Hence my explication of what I thought he meant (if he hadn't meant that I would have understood nothing he said either).

Ookami Hajime said:
Z, I think you're confused =I
I'm not going to even bother with you, I'm sorry.
He confused me too until I thought really hard about what he meant for like 15 minutes. And I don't think I should have to think that hard about SWF in a Q/A thread about the answers themselves.

What do we do to get around R.O.B's ftilt? I faced a R.O.B recently and he was a bit better than me (though I took a game off him - it was all friendlies) and his ftilt was really annoying. SH dair and SH fair sort of worked, but ftilt didn't (seem to) outrange it. I know fsmash does but I think R.O.B can powershield it even if he ftilts as I start the smash (or can he not?) Otherwise what do we do to get around this at close range? Full hop tjolts?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
What do we do to get around R.O.B's ftilt? I faced a R.O.B recently and he was a bit better than me (though I took a game off him - it was all friendlies) and his ftilt was really annoying. SH dair and SH fair sort of worked, but ftilt didn't (seem to) outrange it. I know fsmash does but I think R.O.B can powershield it even if he ftilts as I start the smash (or can he not?) Otherwise what do we do to get around this at close range? Full hop tjolts?
One of my friends play a mains R.O.B and I know what you mean about forward tilt. Run up shield is good so long ad you don't don't do it continuously. Sometimes he can block the f-smash, sometimes not. D-dair, f-air and t-jolts are all good against R.O.B. You got this, man!

Thor

Smash Champion
Thanks for the confidence boost but I haven't played in so long I'm actually doing worse against that Kirby I mentioned a while back when I faced him again *facepalm* (need to practice so bad...stupid college apps and ****). "Kirby has no approach options" but he just runs up and grabs or shields or SHs something and nearly every time I guess wrong - keep getting ****** fsmashed at 110%. I know his options are still much worse than, say, MK, but it's still frustrating.

Also against ROB I tried run up and shield and his ftilt me out of shieldgrab range - should I OoS something-not-bair or what? I tried rolling behind him and then got ftilted.

More of a general tech question: Is there anything specific I can do to break the habit of hitting my control stick too hard? It seems like about half the time I try to tilt I'm hitting the control stick too hard so I either jump (utilt) or else start a smash or a dash. I learned to play when I was like 8 (SSB way back when) so I've had this habit a really long time and except when I play Link in Melee this habit is holding me back some (there Link's tilts sans utilt suck anyway). I can turn off tap-jump to fix utilt problems but I think I need a lot more ftilt and dtilt in my game for zoning stuff (and dealing with stupid ******* Kirby because that would make some of those approaches more easy to punish). Any advice is appreciated.

Also, what are our good ways to get off the ledge? I have issues with getting off the ledge against Kirby and some higher level players I've faced in other games - I know we can ledge hop, roll on, attack on, and drop/jump on/QAC on - I've added drop -> jump ->- tjolt the stage -> QA the ledge to annoy edgeguards (thanks ESAM videos) but what is a good way to get on stage as Pikachu?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Thor, I advise learning new zoning/spacing methods, also teach yourself ways to keep your hands calm. Try SH D-Air OoS, it's good; simply rolling forward OoS to get behind the opponent is an advanced level movement. If Kirby likes to F-Smash when you've reached that percent, counter it with your F-Smash (assuming it's Pika's F-Smash)! Our F-Tilt can clash easily with Kirby's F-Smash if you're wanting to be more defensive, however.

Thor

Smash Champion
Angiance said:
Thor, I advise learning new zoning/spacing methods, also teach yourself ways to keep your hands calm. Try SH D-Air OoS, it's good; simply rolling forward OoS to get behind the opponent is an advanced level movement. If Kirby likes to F-Smash when you've reached that percent, counter it with your F-Smash (assuming it's Pika's F-Smash)! Our F-Tilt can clash easily with Kirby's F-Smash if you're wanting to be more defensive, however.
Calm is good - I'll work on it (and trying to move it more carefully - training mode Ike jab _tilt or something I guess will help me tilt quickly and I can see it easily). You said rolling behind is advanced? I thought it was kind of n00bish but I was not sure what else to try (and got punished by ROB ftilt anyway : ( ).

Also it seems like a lot of the Kirby fsmashes come as I'm landing from getting hit offstage - I think he might be trying to landing trap me and I notice it seems to occur less if I QAC far enough away but I think then I need to avoid those situations in the first place. But it's good to know how to clank it out - thanks for that. (I learned the hard way dsmash doesn't hit Kirby's foot...)

I'll try figuring out other ways to zone. And I REALLY need to work at jumping stuff OoS (or at least not shield-dropping) - another bad habit I picked up way long ago I need to break.

The dsmash issue/habit is gone though - thanks for help with that.

Also, do I SDI ROB dsmash same way someone SDI's Pikachu dsmash?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Angiance knows his stuff =o

Thanks for the confidence boost but I haven't played in so long I'm actually doing worse against that Kirby I mentioned a while back when I faced him again *facepalm* (need to practice so bad...stupid college apps and ****). "Kirby has no approach options" but he just runs up and grabs or shields or SHs something and nearly every time I guess wrong - keep getting ****** fsmashed at 110%. I know his options are still much worse than, say, MK, but it's still frustrating.

Also against ROB I tried run up and shield and his ftilt me out of shieldgrab range - should I OoS something-not-bair or what? I tried rolling behind him and then got ftilted.

More of a general tech question: Is there anything specific I can do to break the habit of hitting my control stick too hard? It seems like about half the time I try to tilt I'm hitting the control stick too hard so I either jump (utilt) or else start a smash or a dash. I learned to play when I was like 8 (SSB way back when) so I've had this habit a really long time and except when I play Link in Melee this habit is holding me back some (there Link's tilts sans utilt suck anyway). I can turn off tap-jump to fix utilt problems but I think I need a lot more ftilt and dtilt in my game for zoning stuff (and dealing with stupid ******* Kirby because that would make some of those approaches more easy to punish). Any advice is appreciated.

Also, what are our good ways to get off the ledge? I have issues with getting off the ledge against Kirby and some higher level players I've faced in other games - I know we can ledge hop, roll on, attack on, and drop/jump on/QAC on - I've added drop -> jump ->- tjolt the stage -> QA the ledge to annoy edgeguards (thanks ESAM videos) but what is a good way to get on stage as Pikachu?
Kirby: Space Kirby out. F-Smash and t-jolts, SH f-air and d-tilt; zoning kirby out is the best option because, in all honesty, Kirby's approach options are crap. Watch out for f-tilt though and forward smash kills us at ridiculously low percents.

R.O.B: You can handle R.O.B. similarly. Pay more attention to him though because he has WAY better options against us that Kirby does. Oos d-air works well if you space it correctly.
Personally, I sometimes like to take a backward approach at R.O.B. U-air for the win~

Rolling: Don't roll behind him. You should almost never roll unless you REALLY need some space. But don't roll if they're even remotely in a position to track where you'll end up. Roll away from charged smashes or predictable responses to your own attacks. Other than that, shielding and spot dodge. Pika's spot dodge is pretty amazing so make the most of it, without overdoing it.

Tilts: I hold the direction beforehand. If I land and I am considering using u-tilt, I'm usually already holding up on the control stick. Other than that, try to move your fingers with a more sensitive touch on the control stick. Do you typically have trouble making your character walk regularly rather than run in the middle of an intense match? Many players who have trouble with having their character walk have the same trouble with tilts. By the way, depending on how sensitively your moving the control stick, tap jump off may not help with u-tilt. You may end up simply u-smashing instead.

Getting off the ledge:
1. Jump back QA
2. Let go and air dodge passed them (works well against aggressive players)
3. If they're close, I like to u-air them at a certain angle. It turns the tables and puts you on stage and them onto the edge, haha. Be cautious with this because it can be easily shielded if anticipated.
4. T-jolts
5. F-air

I hope that wasn't too much, haha

Angiance

Smash Lord
Forward Roll can be used in a low level way (blindly spamming it), or an advanced way (in the correct situations). I'll almost ALWAYS forward roll if my back is towards the opponent to reset my spacing. One of my favorite ways to get back onstage is dropping off and airdodging back on at stage level, QAC is another favorite because of it's strong mix game, I also love B-Airing onstage (if my back is towards the stage), like from a wallkick on FD. I don't think ROB's D-Smash can be SDI'd. One more thing, Pikachu actually takes a VVVEEEEEERRRRYY long time to get even slightly good with, so don't feel bad if it seems like you're not improving, just keep practicing.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Forward Roll can be used in a low level way (blindly spamming it), or an advanced way (in the correct situations). I'll almost ALWAYS forward roll if my back is towards the opponent to reset my spacing. One of my favorite ways to get back onstage is dropping off and airdodging back on at stage level, QAC is another favorite because of it's strong mix game, I also love B-Airing onstage (if my back is towards the stage), like from a wallkick on FD. I don't think ROB's D-Smash can be SDI'd. One more thing, Pikachu actually takes a VVVEEEEEERRRRYY long time to get even slightly good with, so don't feel bad if it seems like you're not improving, just keep practicing.
OoS U-Air sounds better than a roll at that point or even QA out.

Angiance

Smash Lord
I used to U-Air in that situation, I used to LOVE that option...but then I realized it leaves us somewhat open if it misses, or if it's shielded.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I too go for the the oos SH U-air; I get the foot stool lock extremely often on almost everyone I play because how very little people know the Pikachu match up at all.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Or I'm quick.
It's about positioning, Angiance. If you spot dodge a punishable attack right when someone is behind you, it isn't very difficult to get that u-air in. My opponents are good players, dude. Let's word things better now, please and thanks.
Acting quickly can help to avoid punishing that option if they shield or you mis-space it. You can air dodge to shorten the landing lag and dodge, run, jump, and even up air again to apply more pressure.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Call me "Bell" please (my brawl tag). Positioning? How could your opponent be crappy enough to mispace an attack so that they're in range to actually get hit by U-Air? Missing with it from the back leaves us in a bad position, even if it's not punished.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Very well, Bell. There you go again with your wording; using words like "crappy" isn't an example of the professional choice of words you were talking about the other day. Please choose your words better!
And it has nothing to with mis-spacing the move. You could simply have your back turned when a falco throws out an u-smash and you PS or spot dodge it. Perfect position to be up aired. There are VERY many situations where you can u-air someone in that same exact way. If you don't get these opportunities as often as I do, it could just mean that we play differently or the players we play against aren't very similar. Everyone has a different mind-set.

If it isn't punished, then you still can do something to regain some composure, space, and reset the momentum. If it is, so be it. I didn't say it was impossible to get punished for the move.

Angiance

Smash Lord
You're right, it's just my playstyle. My playstyle is: rawspeed > overwhelm > punish. Oh, by the way...crap-crapper-crappity-crap-crap~

Angiance

Smash Lord
Okay, I 100% agree with OoS SH U-Air as a counter attack, I was thinking of something completely different earlier, har-har silly me.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
i like using it to attack ppl on platforms TBH sometimes i just toss it out as a mix up cause i feel like it

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
How do you counter or at least try to get close to a ZSS armor pieces and how do you counter a Marth player sharking platforms with uair?

Reth92

Smash Cadet
well... can be used as a mixup like SHRAR bair to surprise an opponement and mostly at low %s after an up tilt. I've heard "Bair of the stage if you're bold" but I like using it against projectiles. Bair eats lasers for breakfast ^^

PZ

Smash Lord
How do you counter or at least try to get close to a ZSS armor pieces and how do you counter a Marth player sharking platforms with uair?
ZSS's armor pieces are a completely obscene obstacle but if it helps you could dry Z-Catching/air dodging or shielding. You really don't wanna throw out moves since pikachu's moveset does not beat the projectiles in a comfortable manner excluding nair(very good at catching items oddly enough).

Are you familiar with falling through the platform by gently tilting down on the control stick? If not, I suggest jumping OOS to get away from that situation. With QAC you could quickly move out of his zone depending on the situation. Going back on that little tech that most yoshi players use to actually perform OOS shield options, you can try that then uair or nair. Uair is the better option but nair could be nice for the kill.

Top Bottom