• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Wouldn't it be better for pika to get behind Ness and attack since his bair isn't as good as pika's fair?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
It's not easy to simply get behind someone. Anyone can turn at any given moment.
I uploaded some matches to that channel, by the way, guys. Not much of my Pika yet but let me know if any of y'all want to check it out.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Mr.Pikachu: If Ness is aerial at FH height, we can dash behind him and smack him with our tail a bit (U-Air) from a diagonal angle and it'll beat any options he has :3 | @Ookami: I'll watch

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
He's right, dash under u-air is a good option. Good for stringing if they're high up enough too.

Hey Bell, do you know of any good Japanese pikas other than Hayase by any chance? And I'll link you a bit later =I

Angiance

Smash Lord
Actually, I need to download some Hayase...I've never really seen him play.

Sooooo...I feel like Pikachu is definitely A tier and like, what's everybody else think?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I think Pika is super underrated simply because everyone plays MK and Falco. Pikachu deserves A tier or at least I think he deserves a spot above or one below Falco =I
Hayase is cool =o

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I feel like pikachu should be in front of marth
I don't think pikachu has THAT BAD of matchups
My state, Illinois, is filled with tons of olimars, diddy kongs, marths, ect... All of my crewmates play his bad matchups and they really aren't that hard IMO

How do we deal with the donkey kong matchup?

PZ

Smash Lord
The whole donkey Pika vs DK match-up is essentially mostly mind games and reads. How well you juggle him in the air and gimp his recovery will put you to the test of whether you will last in comparison to his extremely long life. That being said it is a very even match-up which basically can go either way. Although DK does have better spacing in comparison, our camp game is obviously superior. Remember the fthrow chain grab and dthrow followups because building damage in this match up is very important. O yea fsmash spacing in this game is very well wanted but your free to save it as a kill move...I still believe you will not kill anyway even if you wanted to.

That is all I got to say on that note and as for which character is better with pika and marth I would have to say marth for the sole reason that he is WAY easier to use. They are both even in terms of comparison but the ease of use obviously shows (popularity).
Marth gots the spacing tools to essentially deal with any character.
Pika gots the movement to make up for his bad points.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
The whole donkey Pika vs DK match-up is essentially mostly mind games and reads. How well you juggle him in the air and gimp his recovery will put you to the test of whether you will last in comparison to his extremely long life. That being said it is a very even match-up which basically can go either way. Although DK does have better spacing in comparison, our camp game is obviously superior. Remember the fthrow chain grab and dthrow followups because building damage in this match up is very important. O yea fsmash spacing in this game is very well wanted but your free to save it as a kill move...I still believe you will not kill anyway even if you wanted to.

That is all I got to say on that note and as for which character is better with pika and marth I would have to say marth for the sole reason that he is WAY easier to use. They are both even in terms of comparison but the ease of use obviously shows (popularity).
Marth gots the spacing tools to essentially deal with any character.
Pika gots the movement to make up for his bad points.
This is correct =I

PZ

Smash Lord
O wow you were doing great but unforunately I am not that great a critique. However I noticed you tried to go for some mindgames in this matchup which were great offstage but onstage I would like to say that textbook pika is the way to go. I am only saying that because when you grabbed him sometimes you didn't go for the grab combos which confused me or one time at mid high percent you GR(grab released) instead of dthrow<read. I guess I could say never thunder him but you mixed up when the time came that he started noticing you thundering him offstage so its all good. O yea do not QAC that much because MGW has so many moves to just ruin you with the press of a button (nair,dsmash,usmash, fsmash, dtilt, etc.

Aside from the mistakes you mentioned you did great! and I am surprised at how you took your friend's first stock...I always get off the edge because of the fear of getting stage spiked.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Ookami: #1. Implement charging F-Smash | #2. Keep offensive QAC for surprise mixes | #3. Don't T-Jolt G&W unless he's at KO percent | #4. If the opponent is on a platform above, shark U-Air (tip of the tail) | #5. Don't jump at an opponent with falling momentum, just control the ground | #6. Implement D-Tilt > Shield and D-Tilt > Backwards Slide Charging F-Smash | #7. If our tail is towards the stage while we're offstage, we can B-Air back on from below ledge level | #8. Please implement F-Air into your spacing game | #9. Use SH D-Air onstage, it's a powerful option | #10. Offstage, practice fastfall > Rising N-Air

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
O wow you were doing great but unforunately I am not that great a critique. However I noticed you tried to go for some mindgames in this matchup which were great offstage but onstage I would like to say that textbook pika is the way to go. I am only saying that because when you grabbed him sometimes you didn't go for the grab combos which confused me or one time at mid high percent you GR(grab released) instead of dthrow<read. I guess I could say never thunder him but you mixed up when the time came that he started noticing you thundering him offstage so its all good. O yea do not QAC that much because MGW has so many moves to just ruin you with the press of a button (nair,dsmash,usmash, fsmash, dtilt, etc.

Aside from the mistakes you mentioned you did great! and I am surprised at how you took your friend's first stock...I always get off the edge because of the fear of getting stage spiked.
The player Atlas is my brother so he knows Pika annoyingly well, haha. The only reason I went for thunder was because he just picked up G&W again and I had a feeling he wouldn't bucket them. Eventually, I'm going to have to stop doing that against him, haha. He's a diddy main. And I actually went for the grab release to bait some kind of defensive option (he spot dodged) but then I chickened out because I thought he might down smash or something XD I'll try to work your advice into my playstyle, thanks! I appreciate the critique!

@Ookami: #1. Implement charging F-Smash | #2. Keep offensive QAC for surprise mixes | #3. Don't T-Jolt G&W unless he's at KO percent | #4. If the opponent is on a platform above, shark U-Air (tip of the tail) | #5. Don't jump at an opponent with falling momentum, just control the ground | #6. Implement D-Tilt > Shield and D-Tilt > Backwards Slide Charging F-Smash | #7. If our tail is towards the stage while we're offstage, we can B-Air back on from below ledge level | #8. Please implement F-Air into your spacing game | #9. Use SH D-Air onstage, it's a powerful option | #10. Offstage, practice fastfall > Rising N-Air
I'm aware of a lot of these things, but this was just a smash to help him work on his G&W (he showed me o.o). I go for t-jolts at times I think he won't bucket and if it works out for me then yay, if it doesn't, meh. There's nothing wrong with following someone into the air, though it's not the best choice against G&W. I already told you how I feel about f-air and fast fall rising n-air can get you stage spiked by G&W's recovery so I prefer not to go for it. Thanks for the critique though

Gonna upload the runback next, guys XD We had a rematch right after

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Don't bother trying to bait out a defensive option from G&W. If they know what they are doing they will up-b away and it's pretty damn unpunishable

Angiance

Smash Lord
@Ookami: Well when I say "don't jump at someone with falling momentum" I mean if they're falling at you from directly above, cause they can gain ground control. Fastfall > Rising N-Air offstage is more of a mixup I suppose *shrugs*

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ulpn9n9-o
Next one, guys. We did some silly stuff in this match, haha. I went for fanciness too much XD

@Ookami: Well when I say "don't jump at someone with falling momentum" I mean if they're falling at you from directly above, cause they can gain ground control. Fastfall > Rising N-Air offstage is more of a mixup I suppose *shrugs*
I go for it when I see an opportunity, haha. But I will keep your advice in mind. Rising n-air offstage isn't a horrible option and I'll definitely consider the option some time, thanks!
Don't bother trying to bait out a defensive option from G&W. If they know what they are doing they will up-b away and it's pretty damn unpunishable
I'll take your advice, thank ya much, sir~

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ramsaur, you can't seriously be considering coming all the way to my area JUST to ditto me...not that I mind :3 | @Ookami: I'll watch when I can, I can't get YT at the moment -_-;

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I'm not going just for you. My Sister goes to college there, my aunt and uncle live there, my cousin and her family lives there. I would go for my family and meet you on the side. Gonna MM or not?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I'll stream it.
Yeah, next time I'm in Tenesee I'll hit you up. My number is on the information part of my account. That's the best way to get me besides twitter.

Eric pleeeeease MM Jnig at Apex. He will prove to you that he is way better than top 25 Wario and sometime I need to get you to play Gunner; we'll come to Florida or something. You seriously underestimate both of those guys. And if a MK named Curlz tries to MM you at Apex; he is not a good rep of our region but a cool guy. Good luck at Apex this year dude.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
He is better than top 25 WARIOS, just not 25 people in the world.

And sure, I'll MM him. Free money is always cool~

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
In spirit of the pikachu ditto... What do we do in the pikachu ditto? I have 8 pikachus in my state (Illinois) and I am surprised that I can still get by in consistency winning...
I need to have a plan together for the next pikachu I encounter... It's like running through grass with a pokemon having static leading my party out here jeez lol

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
On the WHOBO stream I swear you said top 25 Warios. Lol that makes more sense. Freaking every tournament down here is ALWAYS JNig vs Denti in GFs. Plus JNig has an assload of pika exp thanks to gunner. Man it really sucks to be a pika in the south because Texas knows Pika from Kprime, LA from Gunner, and Florida from that Pika that no one knows about Kappa. Other than that it's Vegas from Z and Canada from Captain L. Anyway Jnig knows the MU very well although I know you're going to beat him. It's like you're the best pikachu or something. Btw who all from Florida are going to apex? I assume you, Justin, Jessie, Ryo, Sebrik, 8bit, and Shakey.

Oh yeah and MI because if anther

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
On the WHOBO stream I swear you said top 25 Warios. Lol that makes more sense. Freaking every tournament down here is ALWAYS JNig vs Denti in GFs. Plus JNig has an assload of pika exp thanks to gunner. Man it really sucks to be a pika in the south because Texas knows Pika from Kprime, LA from Gunner, and Florida from that Pika that no one knows about Kappa. Other than that it's Vegas from Z and Canada from Captain L. Anyway Jnig knows the MU very well although I know you're going to beat him. It's like you're the best pikachu or something. Btw who all from Florida are going to apex? I assume you, Justin, Jessie, Ryo, Sebrik, 8bit, and Shakey.

Oh yeah and MI because if anther
Kansas because of Stealth Raptor, but he quit.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
And sure, I'll MM him. Free money is always cool~
That call out =o
Hey ESAM, I saw you at a tournament WAAAAY early this year. Would it be okay if I played a set with you next time I see you?
Is U-Air good?
Thanks about watching my matches. And u-air? Dude, of all people I know that YOU know u-air is amazing~
Btw, I'm cheering you on for that match, bro, haha.

Top Bottom