• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You should just focus on option coverage. You obviously shouldn't focus only on the grab, but it is the main component of the Match-ups.

NETOmx

Smash Apprentice
In the ness MU you pretty much have to worry about 3 things: Fair, dash grab, and double jump fake-outs. Other than that the character is booty. Super easy to edgeguard with uair footstool, grab release chaingrab to guaranteed dash attack/u-smash. Um...idk what else to say really
If I want to buffer a dash to do a grab release chaingrab (ness and lucas), is it always sure? I think it is not sure, because I usually fail it a lot. I'm pretty good in all the other chaingrabs against the other characters (mk, falco, snake, etc).

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
In the case of the Spacies MUs, what would my main focus be during the match? I know the grab is a defining part of the matchup but I know that shouldn't be all should go for right?
lol chaingrabs win against Spacies. Except for Falco, you don't have to worry about barley anything but getting the CG.

Would D-Air be good for cross-ups? Anybody?
I would say Dair would be a good cross up. Assuming you can mindgame them out, Dair would be a great crossup option. Since you can't dash cancel in brawl you have to jump, stop, or Usmash out dash I think Dair would be good (ASSUMING you get the read). It can be punished if the player knows the MU and you miss it. I have seen ESAM use Fair one odd time and it did work :0. But if you auto cancel it then it can be even more safe. I have a friend who plays Diddy, TL,(not MJG lol) and Pit and loves to try and cross me up with his strong Bairs, so they DO work. But we don't have a good Bair for cross ups (unless you're playing 64 or P:M) so I guess Dair would seem like a good option. Every Tuesday I have two smashfests with different groups of people at different times (LA Tech, from 10:00-12:00 and 2:00-6:00 if anyone from Tech sees this) so I'll test it out today.

I have questions myself: The way I've been fighting Diddy so far is going MK and just keeping those bananas away. I know it's a -1 MU but how do we fight diddy (AKA my personal worst MU)? Peach too, I have a new guy who plays Peach and he does a good job sometimes keeping up, but he's still new. Another MU that's -1 for us; what do we do against peach?

And how do I B reverse thunder without using my jump? It is that one essential Pika techs I cannot for the life of me get down! Gunner has tried to teach me, but I still just can't do it. I just use my second jump to cover it by jumping backwards and pressing down B to reverse and use the upward momentum to not fastfall.

Also: Angiance, I have family that I think moved to Knoxville and my little cousin wants me to come visit sometime. I have NO idea when I would go (probably during the summer) but if I'm there I'll be sure to hit you up! Go find those tournaments man!

Yo Eric: Jnig beat M2K....still think LA is a scrub state? I still want us to come to Florida to show y'all how wrong you are about how you think about us. Especially Gunner.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, against Diddy, it takes some general understanding of the bananas; you must learn how to control them/keep them away from Diddy. That's about all I can remember for Diddy, sorry.

Peach is fun (cause I'm a difficulty *****). Turnips are bothersome, so master that Z-Catch! F-Smash is (like usual) amazing. She's floaty (obviously) so be careful with the strings you try. She has the worst air-dodge in-game, so she's vulnerable to U-Tilt > Thunder.

Haha, good luck finding me!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Dair isn't good for cross-ups in general because it has too much end-lag and can still be punished with an OOS turn around option.

Yo Eric: Jnig beat M2K....still think LA is a scrub state? I still want us to come to Florida to show y'all how wrong you are about how you think about us. Especially Gunner.
OH MY GOD HE BEAT M2K IN A METAKNIGHT BANNED TOURNAMENT?!? OH MY GOD THAT'S ALMOST AS IMPRESSIVE AS BEATING HIS MK!!

Oh wait...no it isn't. My point still stands, your region, like most, are irrelevant.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Right, thanks you two! Now, would it be a clean strategy to, when our attacker is at KO percents, focus on pushing them (only with low lag attacks: D-Tilt, F-Tilt, N-Air, etc.) off stage, or close to the edge for the N-Air\F-Smash KO?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I feel like I made Ramsaur super salty.

At death % positioning is key since if you push somebody closer towards the edge 1. Our moves will kill at lower %s and 2. They have less options out of neutral to back up without putting themselves offstage.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Esam why you gotta dog on LA like that :(

I have a question, if we were to grab MK at 0, could we get two f-throws and then begin the d-throw chain, or can we only u-smash after the first f-throw?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The f-throw at 0 is...weird. There are technically frame perfect ways to do it, but it depends on the option that MK uses. If they up-b we have to grab one frame later than if they buffer DJ up-air (and obviously vice-versa for if they DJ) but if you do the wrong one they get out. It's also really hard to do frame perfect stuff out of dash that isn't buffered considering we have to time it which is...less than optimal.

So, for all intents and purposes, we can't CG MK at 0%, we have to grab him after the u-smash or something.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Oh alright thanks, that's interesting.

Also I was watching this set against Reflex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIsZMVv6Hqw and was wondering how you do the thunder at :39? I see you backjumped off the ledge, but then after that is it just like a normal b-reversed thunder? I also noticed you were doing a lot of FH f-air, is that something that covers a lot of Wario's options or is it just something you thought to be effective against Reflex?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Nah brah, the salt started on the WHOBO stream. It's all gucci though, the LA thread is already making plans to come to Florida. You're in Miami right? Yo Holden: I can't go to the tournament this weekend :(

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not CURRENTLY in miami, but I live there when I'm not at school yeah

@Holden: You can change direction in the air at any time with b-moves so pretty much you do a turn around thunder and then b-reverse it.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Even though I asked how to do B Reverse thunder a couple posts ago........I'm starting to get it down!!!! To find FL tourneys just go to the tournament listing? Or do y'all have a social thread that has a listing? And what do you think of Captain L?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Pika-pika-piiiiiiiii~
What is the point of this? Aren't you the one who was just advocating that we must learn endlessly? Damn ni**a I'll tolerate the constant questions because that has positive benefits, but this is just stupid.

Btw I'm not a "Pikachu" main. I don't pride myself on maining our rat because I like the character so much. I like Pika because how he plays in Brawl not because "ZOMG ITZ PIKACHU!!!1 PIKACHU USE UR THUNDER.....SMASH!" That's why I only play Pika in Brawl. That's cool if ESAM wants to put "Pika?" on where he is and stuff like that; but don't just randomly post needless BS.

Angiance

Smash Lord
What is the point of this? Aren't you the one who was just advocating that we must learn endlessly? Damn ni**a I'll tolerate the constant questions because that has positive benefits, but this is just stupid.

Btw I'm not a "Pikachu" main. I don't pride myself on maining our rat because I like the character so much. I like Pika because how he plays in Brawl not because "ZOMG ITZ PIKACHU!!!1 PIKACHU USE UR THUNDER.....SMASH!" That's why I only play Pika in Brawl. That's cool if ESAM wants to put "Pika?" on where he is and stuff like that; but don't just randomly post needless BS.
:3

Well, U-Air is great isn't it?! ^ - ^

Player -0

Smash Hero

It was obviously a question in pikachu form, you need to brush up on your pika.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Stupid crap like that is pointless and you should REALLY not post it.

However, chill your grill Ramsaur, you seem super butt-hurt about SOMETHING and you're letting your anger out on these poor people. Stahp.

Also, I don't even like Pikachu in respect to other Pokemon so I would NEVER post "pika" after anything.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
...i defintely had that as Miami for like...ever.

****in trolled by somebody and now trolled in this convo. I LOSE

Uair is probably Pikachu's best or 2nd move (nair is really good)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The thing about Wario tha tmakes it even is we can catch him really well so he can't run away, we deal massive damage with grabs (which are fairly easy to get), we don't have trouble killing him, and we can edgeguard the HELL out of him at low %s.

For G&W we have to play the rush-down game and be careful about how big our shields are. He doesn't really pressure us in a real way and as long as you don't air-dodge you shouldn't be running into any smash attacks. We both have fairly similar spacing but he has a better escape option with up-b OOS, but we are faster overall. He still dies mad early.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Bucket break??? And don't we in kill percent at like 70% because of G&W's freaking smash moves?
G&W's smash attacks are extremely slow (except D-Smash, which is the weakest), our attacks are faster then G&W's, and we can out-range him anyways

Bucket Breaking is great, but our F-Smash is a powerful KO attack, and he's the lightest character in-game.

Top Bottom