• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Pikachu is fast, therefore ROB is fairly helpless in the air. That and edge pressure is where you should be getting the majority of your damage.
I am happy we can come to an agreement. I use ROB a lot for fun. In fact, I can use 10 characters effectively, to date. Largely for that reason I know the options most characters have. Only problem is, I have very little experience against other decent Pikachu players.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
That's because it's rare to find a Pika player that doesn't spam Dsmash and Thunder. Lucky for me I've seen more knowledgeable Pikas in my state than any other. Still, what other Pika do you see taking on the big dogs consistently like ESAM does?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
That's because it's rare to find a Pika player that doesn't spam Dsmash and Thunder. Lucky for me I've seen more knowledgeable Pikas in my state than any other. Still, what other Pika do you see taking on the big dogs consistently like ESAM does?
None, but I often wonder how I would do if I could travel and attend big tournaments as often as I'd like to. I honestly see no crtical flaws in my gameplay. That was not exactly the case a few years ago.
Pikachu is not a pick up and play character. D-smash and thunder feel like safe moves, so noobs will spam it. It's always awkward seeing somebody play horribly with a character you use.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I'm guessing I should have heard of you as a fellow Pika main (no sarcasm intended).
No because I never tried very hard. Half the tournaments I'd attend I didn't even enter. Was never very serious about it but I would like to start showing what I can do.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Dude you did so well at APEX ZOMG! ANTi is just so ridiculously good against Pika. From pound V to Apex you've always put on a show against ANTi. I can't wait to see you wreck shop at SKTAR 2!

FourStar

Smash Ace
it seems like there so few brawl tournaments now..... its so hard to watch good brawl when none of us can ever watch new tournaments....

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Lack of tournaments is my problem too. I live in the NE so one would imagine the scene is good out here. It used to be, but there are very few outside of huge annual tournaments such as Apex.

FourStar

Smash Ace
if you don't play in the Florida or tristate area some good players live in like the middle of nowhere....

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to interrupt yall discussion, but what should be done vs Marth Mains as pikachu?

How do you fight him?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Watch ESAM vs. Leon for a demonstration of the MU. Don't stand idly by inside his sword's range and you'll be fine. You'd be surprised how effective it is to keep the pressure up against Marth.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
marth is interesting cause mid level players get freaking pwnd by marth badly while higher level players do much much better with the MU the important thing with marth ive found is learn how to get in.

i have a bit of a marth problem but i understand it a bit better after fighting marths all over. your shield is his worst nightmare. Chu can beat the living crap out of marth when it comes to up close and personal fights. marth doesn't like the pressure very much at all he likes setting up a wall. its his comfort zone so IMO your best bet is make him uncomfortable ;P

he pwns the crap out of you when your trying to recover to and you have to hold onto your second jump and be ready to recover at an opening also when hes recovering if hes out of his second jump a T jolt can kill him which i always found hilarious. also our thunder really screws his recovery he can still recover on it but sometimes if you trap him with it hes forced to take the thunder or die.

we also pwn the crap out of him if we our below him i find if im under the platform hes on you have a crap ton of options you can do to him.

one thing about marth to is look at his swings. i find have enough lag between his sword swipe that between your shield and your speed you have the tools to break through his wall. make sure you know some of his gimmicks though like Double fair into Fsmash and IIRC he has grab release on us at 0 that scores a bit of % off the bat like i noticed marth like going for that damage so dont be surprised if they try grabbing you off the start.

if you jab him he can Dolphin slash out of it if you like fishing for trips for kills at high % take note of that. and Fsmash outrages like all of his moves (he can punish it though so dont overuse this) and you want to punish the heck out of his landings This is one thing to remember in this match up if you remember nothing else.

and his Fair is stupid it can block your Jolts :( get crafty with your jolts, i like looping them around platforms and throwing them when between his fairs if hes trying to zone you with them. just throwing them out though i dont find works nearly as well if the marth knows he can block your jolts with this move closing space on you. he can also kill you pretty quick if you get tippered learn the range of that.

aside from that i know Esam fought Mr R and Leon within the last year and theres vids floating around.

Angiance

Smash Lord
FH then Thunder late so that when it strikes Chu, Discharge (T2) is out at SH range; is it any safer than a grounded Discharge?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
FH then Thunder late so that when it strikes Chu, Discharge (T2) is out at SH range; is it any safer than a grounded Discharge?
Ohh yes. I nearly always do exactly that. The other instances of when I use the discharge is when I use QAC (double directional) to either QAC into Thunder while grounded or QAC jump into Thunder. Work on the QAC Thunder. It's quite fun since I'm brutally accurate with it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Thanks. Another thing, does the late hit of D-Air have more horizontal knockback then the initial hit, and does it make a difference?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You shouldn't really be doing T2 unless you get hard reads...it is unsafe always
I'm always very safe when I use it. KO'd FataI's MK one time over this weekend with it. I only ever use it grounded while they're in the air but when they are at my side I FH and use it. After that, the remaining frames of Thunder protects you as you can come down with an airdodge or whatever you like. How often do you do this?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You are using thunder, not T2. You shouldn't be using the actual T2 hitbox unless you have a hard read, like I said. Thunder doesn't really protect you if the person isn't bad, shields it originally, and then punishes you since now the hitbox isn't active against them.

Angiance

Smash Lord
D-Special is a two in one move, Thunder & Discharge, but whatever. Is the soft hit of N-Air decent for continuing strings or completely useless (DI)?

Top Bottom