• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Because as you are B-throwing they input a move with the other one and they just swat you out of it. There are two of them, remember?
Oh yes, he was talking about ICs. That's right. I would only very occasionally grab an IC and if so, it would be an ultra-quick dash grab.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Your link doesn't work.

ESAM's throws work because he mostly does them when they're separated or when they're doing something laggy.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
After getting through the basics, what are essential things to learn or must learn things for pikachu?

Is jumping away or airdodging good to do when you get hit into the air at lower %s and/or higher %s?

What are ways to improve when you get to play only 2 persons( MK & Olimar ). Reason is because I'll just adapt to what they do, But what if I play against someone else....

Where I'm from their aren't much tournaments.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
most esstenal thing is matchups. learn them their important and even more so for pikachu cause unlike MK can get screwed a lot harder from not knowing them due to having a little more trouble zoneing. another thing is learn pikachus strong points like his Close range melee game being excellent or his chain grabs. also learn how to break through zoneing and how to reset situations consistently.

your second point im kinda confused on are you refering to momentum canceling or air dodging to dodge a string or what? im not entirely sure what you mean but if it is momentum canceling there are tuturoials for it so yeah just looking around the terms you shouldnt have to much trouble finding vids and what not. air dodging out of hit stun isnt the ideal thing to do BTW unles there is a followup your dodging. I know the CPUs do it but with pikachu your U air is better to throw out for recovery sake. but again go look up the MC guides.

your options are try out wifi practice random technical stuff on your own or find other people to fight with. I know the feeling of not having to many people to practice with regularly it sucks. out side of smash feasts i really dont get much practice and it feels like progression kinda halts sometimes due to that combined with people i practice with being a lot better then me most of the time but i learn what i can from getting pwnd :p i dont lie it can be a bit discouraging to get pwnd 30 times in a row to someone but at the same time i guess im stubborn enough to face someone 30 times in a row XD

where are you from if you dont mind me asking? cause i didnt know there was a scene near me until literally like 4 years later x.x but im guessing you already know if there would be or not. there is also technically online tourneys.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
WiFi practice? Doesn't WiFi suck in brawl?
There's mixed opinions on it. Some think that the lag messes up your timing and everything so they advise against it, while others still think it can be great practice if you don't have anyone to play offline. Personally I've never played wifi, but that's only because I've never found anyone to play against lol.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
There's mixed opinions on it. Some think that the lag messes up your timing and everything so they advise against it, while others still think it can be great practice if you don't have anyone to play offline. Personally I've never played wifi, but that's only because I've never found anyone to play against lol.
If you get used to wifi lag, you can adapt to it and maybe even learn to harness that lag to aid you. I would advise against doing this though, since when you go back to playing offline you'll be all disoriented and have to re-adapt.

Sobia6464

Smash Cadet
Just going to through this out there: If anyone needs a WiFi practice buddy I'd be more than happy to oblige.

As for essentials in Pikachu... hmm... Well here is what I have found most helpful and why.

QAC (Quick attack cancel)- Because not only is it a great recovery option and it keeps you "unpredictable" but it teaches you to control the quick attack. That's what's most important. Recovering from being thrown off the ledge is probably the most difficult thing any newcomer faces, but with Pikachu it isn't too difficult. He has Skull bash and Quick attack for recovery options. Just make sure you are aware you can Skull bash as many times as possible in the air, but once you QA you go into a free fall and can't preform anymore recovery moves. My recovery usually goes Jump>Skullbash>QA. I could go on for an enormous amount of time about the applications of QA, but I'll end it here (if you want to know anything more about anything Pika, just message me and ask)

Do NOT force the kill- I usually end up killing CPU's and Friends after 150% damage. Usually because I am not TRYING to kill them. Pikachu can rack up a lot of damage, fast. And the best part about him is he's quick. You don't need to try to kill anyone. Your goal shouldn't be to get KO's, but rather give more damage than you take. A lot more. I have given 514,000 Damage and have only taken 216,000 (yes I just looked). Worry about damage, the KO's will happen, but usually in the higher percentages. Which is fine as long as you can prevent yourself from accumulating damage.

Don't Stale Moves- The game is kind of funny. If you keep doing the same move, it becomes "stale" and a stale move isn't nearly as good as a fresh one. A fresh thunder at 100% can KO, while a stale one usually will fail to do so. A barrage of headbutts hitting an opponent usually un-stales most moves. First of all, if you are playing against a friend instead of the AI, if you don't stale your "power moves" like thunder, Iron tail, N-air, and so on, a surprise Iron tail when they get to 120% would be far more likely to hit. Which brings me to my final advice...

Be unpredictable- This is the most crucial advice I can give. It may seem difficult at first, but once you learn that Pikachu has a vast amount of options both in air and on the ground to keep the pressure up, you will have a far greater chance of winning. Air attacks while you are on the ground are a prime example. Nobody expects a F-air when they are standing on the ground, but learn to preform it. You'll not only evade most attempts at a preventive approach, but you'll keep that unpredictability up. This is the most important thing I've ever learned, and it seems simple but in practice it is difficult. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

The only other thing I would say is practice. Some people do things differently. I, for one, use T-jolt (neutral special) all the time. I use it as I approach, recover, flee, camp, everything. It keeps the pressure up and I like that. But some people don't enjoy playing like that. Find your play style. Best of luck, and if you need anything further please do not hesitate to ask.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
where are you from if you dont mind me asking? cause i didnt know there was a scene near me until literally like 4 years later x.x but im guessing you already know if there would be or not. there is also technically online tourneys.
I'm from the Caribbean, St. Maarten( SxM ) to be precise , and thank you guys for the input. Now to put it into practice! :)

Pikachu!

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, Preparing for my first big tournament, What are some things to go through or do before?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ohgodtornado

Um...not really lol, MKs moves are a lot safer in general so he'll have the advantage.

Sobia6464

Smash Cadet
Figured... We play with 60 lives, but I just can't seem to win. I get him down to around 7 lives though...

NETOmx

Smash Apprentice
Anyone can explain me why i can't sometimes regrab after a grab release against lucas and ness? Is there information that I'm missing? I have seen esam missing the chaingrab release in videos against mekos and that happens to me. Are there specific percetages in which is not possible to regrab ness and lucas?

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Does MK have guaranteed follow-ups at low percents after a grab, dtilt etc on pikachu? I seem to always get dash nair or fair to the face after grab or dtilt.

And when MK zones you out nd corners you with SH Fairs and Dtilts, what are viable options?

Against MK should you be aggressive or ... ?

Angiance

Smash Lord
No. Full jump + B is better because you can move in the air with more precision and have nolanding lag.

FJ T-Jolts Chu is stuck in lag longer and the opponent can just run under Chu; SH T-Jolts Chu isn't stuck in lag as long since the grounded T-Jolt animation ends faster than the aerial T-Jolt animation, allowing for quicker follow-ups

Does MK have guaranteed follow-ups at low percents after a grab, dtilt etc on pikachu? I seem to always get dash nair or fair to the face after grab or dtilt.

And when MK zones you out nd corners you with SH Fairs and Dtilts, what are viable options?

Against MK should you be aggressive or ... ?
AD through MK > SH U-Air offensively/defensively; take it to the ledge; stutter-step backwards F-Smash

MK can string into anything cause he's MK...F-Smash to Full Charge F-Smash...legit. On a real note-MK can follow-up D-Throw with Dash Attack and land it most of the time, Dash Attack being a setup for his crackhead speed aerials; D-Tilt isn't as guaranteed, but still works.

You shouldn't be aggressive, MK'll just counter-agress ya'; be patient and defensive

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
So like I said, Full jump T-jolts allow Pika to have no landing lag (you can even jump again before you land), contrary to the short hop tj.
Also if the opponent can "just run under", that is because it had been used in a bad situation. Full jump actually gives you more angles to throw tjolts.
I could have say the opponent can just roll to get closer and punish if you SH Tjolts.

Angiance

Smash Lord
So like I said, Full jump T-jolts allow Pika to have no landing lag (you can even jump again before you land), contrary to the short hop tj.
Also if the opponent can "just run under", that is because it had been used in a bad situation. Full jump actually gives you more angles to throw tjolts.
I could have say the opponent can just roll to get closer and punish if you SH Tjolts.
While there is no landing lag SH T-Jolt (retreated) is still faster; since FH T-Jolt is slower the opponent can close in on Chu faster

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Jolt's animation always last the same amount of frames whether it's grounded, short hopped, or full jumped.

Anyone can explain me why i can't sometimes regrab after a grab release against lucas and ness? Is there information that I'm missing? I have seen esam missing the chaingrab release in videos against mekos and that happens to me. Are there specific percetages in which is not possible to regrab ness and lucas?
The timing is just very strict on it. If you're missing the regrab, then you're grabbing too late.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I guess it would shoot at a faster rate due to not having to waste frames on jumping, but all forms of jolting still have the same amount of lag.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
FH Thunder jolt is generally regarded as the"best" way to thunder jolt. It lets you take another action before you hit the ground. By comparison, SH and grounded
t-jolts are situational. I use them only to mix up the placement of the t-jolts or for edgeguarding, and even then rather occasionally.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
If you're full hop t-jolting and your opponent is running under you you're doing it wrong

And by wrong I mean you shouldn't be t-jolting in that situation

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
SH T-Jolts seem better for close range...maybe?
The angle for full hop is so much better anyway for tjolt, plus with short hop the chance of getting the aerial hitbox is really slim, the aerial hitbox has netted me so many lock/reset setups and sets up perfectly for edgeguarding at the edge. sh-tjolt is basically a mixup, when full hop has no landing lag, the ability to use the second jump before hitting the ground, a great angle, and a better chance of the aerial hitbox.

Sobia6464

Smash Cadet
This is more of a "I want to see your opinion" type ordeal as opposed to a question. But I figured here would be the correct placement for it. I'm just curious as of to "favorite combo's" with Pika and why. I want to know which combos to do and when. Out of the past Xx years playing this game I still have to say my favorite is either QAC>Nair (or just about any other air but Nair takes the cake), or F-throw>Dash>Nair. Now obviously I'm working on being "unpredictable" more so than I currently am. Just curious as of to a few other combos you guys have found useful.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
This is more of a "I want to see your opinion" type ordeal as opposed to a question. But I figured here would be the correct placement for it. I'm just curious as of to "favorite combo's" with Pika and why. I want to know which combos to do and when. Out of the past Xx years playing this game I still have to say my favorite is either QAC>Nair (or just about any other air but Nair takes the cake), or F-throw>Dash>Nair. Now obviously I'm working on being "unpredictable" more so than I currently am. Just curious as of to a few other combos you guys have found useful.
Hate to be a parrot, but QAC > Nair is mine as well. Though, I tend to get surprise kills with it by QAC'ing an inch behind them and going into nair. QAC > Thunder as well. When I use it, my accuracy with it is something like 95%, and it's always satisfying. I have very good control of QAC, like a hawk who glides through the air, so any QAC combos are deliciously fun.
Other than that, I'd have to say u-tilt > u-tilt > u-air > nair and my signature off-stage combo in which I toss a t-jolt as they're recovering and once it hits them, mere frames later I nail them with a nair or dair.

Top Bottom