• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Player -0

Smash Hero
Would Quick attack angled diagnal down to auto snap ledge from on-stage be an anti planking tool?
I feel like THIS (4:50) might happen. Also people typically throw out moves while planking. Maybe if they're hanging while not invincible and don't have a wicked quick Up Air.

#HighRiskMediumReward. QA -> Drop down Nair if they have a sucky recovery and stuff but you lose good positioning and could just TJolt spam.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Let's say pit is planking. During any large cooldown, just snap the ledge.
A lot of pits like to WOI right away and you might catch them in a really dumb position.

I also don't know the minimum amount of frames it would take to snap the ledge, so I don't really know anything :p

Thor

Smash Champion
I think just t-jolting Pit while he's dorking around the ledge is better - if you t-jolt him while he's starting up Wings of Icarus, you've definitely got him in a really dumb position (namely, he either has to immediately input another to get the startup again, or else jump like crazy while you're onstage moving to the ledge to punish).

How does one instant throw an item (is this only doable in air)? I don't know if there's a better thread to ask this but I think I'm probably ok asking it here.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I think just t-jolting Pit while he's dorking around the ledge is better - if you t-jolt him while he's starting up Wings of Icarus, you've definitely got him in a really dumb position (namely, he either has to immediately input another to get the startup again, or else jump like crazy while you're onstage moving to the ledge to punish).

How does one instant throw an item (is this only doable in air)? I don't know if there's a better thread to ask this but I think I'm probably ok asking it here.
It is 2 inputs. z catch than forward item toss instantly.
You can replace the z catch with just pressing "A" on the ground, but it has a smaller window, since you can also catch it using the air dodge, not to mention that you are also safer if you miss because air dodging an item is better than jabbing an item.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have a method for learning the tech window I suck horribly against stage spikes i have the reaction time and the timing for general teching just when a DK cargo throws me for example into the corner of smashvile im probably dead if im at decent %

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, I usually land techs if I know I'm going to hit the wall. If you know it's going to happen, your best option is honestly just to brace yourself and press the L/R button just as/or before you hit the wall. If you do it early, you should still be relatively safe considering you'll air dodge and won't fly off of the wall.

Thor

Smash Champion
You could practice "snake-jumping" if you want to get better at teching... basically, make a stage that looks like an upside down U and has no holes in the U, then play as Snake, run off the sides, and use recovery, then C4+explode on yourself, repeat... it starts to work your ability to tech around 300% (before then, you can almost always just airdodge if you do the explosion low enough) or earlier if you detonate the C4 higher up. I think you could also just do it on the bottom-right half of Temple, not sure though (out over the abyss I mean, if you start at at least like 30% so you don't lose too much height or whatever).

Of course, teching when you know it's coming is easier than teching when you don't, but this exercise could help you some... it has helped me a bit when I do it, but I don't know how effective it actually is.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You can replace the z catch with just pressing "A" on the ground, but it has a smaller window, since you can also catch it using the air dodge, not to mention that you are also safer if you miss because air dodging an item is better than jabbing an item.
Thor Thor you can do this but this isn't instatossing, it's just picking up the item and throwing it immediately

An instatoss is just an airdodge that you cancel with an item toss. This video sums it up pretty nicely
I use L + C-stick just like KPrime suggested. When I play ZSS on BF I'll instatoss 3 times (without fail) within the first like 1.5 seconds...that should be enough to convince you that I know what I'm talking about lol

But yeah since it's an airdodge cancelling item toss, you can't do it on the ground unless you catch it with the airdodge right above the ground, and then toss it after having landed. Funnily enough, Pikachu's item toss is so slow that it becomes easier to do a 'grounded instatoss' with him. Like in this vid made by ESAM

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Breaking through/trading with Mach Tornado: What are our options?

What I think I know:

Beats Tornado:
- Properly spaced t-jolt (sort of diagonally into it)
- Properly spaced up-angled ftilt [maybe???]
- Properly spaced uair [maybe???] (while below the tornado)
- Thunder
- Fsmash
- Powershield -> grab
- Powershield -> OoS nair
- Dair/nair from the top, carefully spaced
- Properly spaced pivot grab (from it and grab it)
- Shield (not really a counterattack as a single option, but our OoS is good enough to punish if they land near us)

Trades with Tornado:
- Utilt
- Dtilt if grounded nado only
- Usmash (for aerial nado)
- Nair (if using higher part of it and they descend on you)
- Fair/bair from the top, less carefully spaced dair/nair
- Dsmash???
- ftilt???
- maybe can grab armor through it with proper timing?

Don't do this to Tornado:
- Jab
- Quick Attack
- Skull bash
- ftilt angled down

Someone please tell me what does and doesn't work on this list - it would help me quite a bit.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Anyone able to tell me what is right and wrong on this list [from previous post]? If I had someone to test it with I would do so on my own, but I don't, so...

Thanks for the two pieces of info Player -0. Do you mean the ENTIRE top of the tornado is an MK hurtbox, or just the parts where it looks like you would be able to hit him through the top (i.e. not the very top edges, but the top middle does work)?

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Ice climbers can straight up shield grab tornado, I don't know about pikachu though.

Uair willl not beat tornado from below, but I think I remember beating a tornado with Dair from the side.
Dsmash beats tornado if they have bad spacing. You could also pivot grab it

Thor

Smash Champion
You have to powershield grab tornado... something to do with powershielding providing invulnerability frames... or else can you link me footage of ICs grabbing MK out of tornado in the middle of tornado with no powershield? I've read ICs have the standard frame 6 grab, and Mach Tornado hits every 6 frames, causing a single frame of shieldstun, so that tornado has a gap of 5 frames to act in (which is why people can spotdodge during the tornado, but not shieldgrab it)... Is this wrong?

Uair doesn't beat tornado from below? Does it trade or just lose?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Uair just loses to nado from below. The only way an aerial can ever 'beat' an airborne nado is if the aerial is transcendent (so it doesn't clash with nado and just hits MK), you aim it properly (I think literally every aerial barring a bunch of uairs will go through nado if you space them properly, which means hitting MK from above or diagonally above), or if it produces hitboxes at a faster rate than nado does (I think I heard someone say that Sonic's fair does this? I don't think any other aerials do).

Any aerial that isn't spaced properly and doesn't fit into either of the other 2 categories will just clash with nado, and then the attacker will get hit by the next nado hitbox (or you don't get hit because the MK is retreating the nado for w/e reason idk)

Any grounded move that hits nado that isn't transcendent will only break through nado and hit MK if it does 9+%. Or 10+%, I can't remember which.

Pretty much no attacks beat nado from below except for grounded moves that pass the % threshold (mentioned above) or transcendent moves. Or moves that are so vertically big that the attacker can throw them out from below and hit MK from above with the hitbox (eg ZSS' upB)

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Bell/angiance is a pretty gay ass pikachu main~

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
They actually do this same crap on allisbrawl too, it's horrendous.

Anyone have any tips for someone to buff their Pikachu ?

Mine is real sluggish and clanky, I'm looking for ways to have Pikachu get in shape.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Make sure it drinks lots of protein shakes and lifts 100 pounds each day. If you train it hard enough it will get buff.

That was what you were referring to right?

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
They actually do this same crap on allisbrawl too, it's horrendous.

Anyone have any tips for someone to buff their Pikachu ?

Mine is real sluggish and clanky, I'm looking for ways to have Pikachu get in shape.
you fight 252 zubats max your Speed EV after breeding it with a 31 IV in speed the clankyness sounds like some jankyness thou cant help with that. alternatively go on PS2 and use that treadmill :p

also why is luigi so good :) its like hey im having a great back and fourth fight and look what comes out...

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
NAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR

PIKACHU MAY BE FRAME 3
BUT LUIGI
FRAME KILL
NOT FRAME
HE JUST FRAME KILL

***** SPRINKLES

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
if u want you're pika to get RIPPED then make sure you arent playing smash 64 cause hes fat as ****.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
But wait, there's more to it than that!

Follow Sakurai's 3 step program called "The Smash Brothers"

PIKACHU GOT ****ING RIPPED IN JUST MONTHS OF USING

go from this

TO THIS BY FOLLOWING SAKURAI'S GUIDE

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
There's no Jab button for Pikachu, it's called headbanging, even then you just Uair -> footstool -> QA -> Head bang lock.

I'd really like to hear about Version Melee though, is it that new punching game with swords that Soccer eye is making ?

Top Bottom