• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I've found pika sliding most useful in baiting over zealous approaches, but it doesn't have to be used in conjunction with a smash attack at all...

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Thank you so much guys but I didn't get to specify! ^^; My birthday is actually NEXT Saturday, the 16th XD

@ Mr.Pikachu Mr.Pikachu : Pikasliding is indeed executed by d-tilting and then tilting backward. Dash attack is a ridiculously horrible move and undoubtedly our worst and one of the worst of all the cast. It's uses are for getting slight damage on someone you KNOW you can hit without getting punished but even then there are better options you could and should take.
@Reth: It's good for quickly gaining some space after a down tilt or baiting approach like Gunnermaniac stated.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I normal use pikasliding if d-tilt hits their shield.
I'm like.. "Lerl, nope, you ain't catching me *slide*"

And I don't think DA is THAT bad, it's a oss decent punish around 50-60%, it's also fast too.
***This may be pointless, but we can't F-Throw -> Usmash Marth because of his Up B, but we can F-Throw DA. :3

I also think you should keep yourself open to all options of a character, instead of severely limiting yourself to.. you know.. 3 moves :l

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ 1PokeMastr 1PokeMastr : Your explanation for pikasliding deserves applause, my friend XD
And Dash attack can be considered helpful if it hits, though when I say it's a bad move, I'm speaking of overall versatility. I'm not going to tell you that I don't use it to punish at times because I throw it out probably four or five times like every round, I'm only saying it has a lot of flaws to it.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You actually can fthrow>usmash Marth at 0%. You have to buffer a dash and input usmash within like the first 3 frames. The timing is pretty tight.

Also, da is an awful oos option.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Wait we can dair him out of Fthrow (assuming at zero). i sometime Fthrow run up and sheild the UpB then get a free Fsmash . Didnt think of that kinda use for Pikasliding TBH i haven't really integrated it much into my game.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
So I have a question, guys. What do you guys think of d-smash? It's a good move if used cleverly and if the opponent can SDI then it still often sets up for tech chases. When do you guys tend or throw it out?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I use dash attack a decent amount, but that's only because I don't want to flub an OOS dash grab or OOS dash u-smash and guaranteed percent > nothing.

Pikachu has an amazing run-away game, so focusing on getting close isn't exactly ideal...we should be making people get close to us and then we can abuse our good CQC

D-smash should be used in specific set-ups or as a GTFO option. Like at 65% a uair FF d-smash will catch air-dodges with the last 2-3 hits of d-smash so it's considerably more difficult to SDI it, and people will die. See me vs ally game 2 at SKTAR2

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean it is a sub-par punish in most situations...I definitely would RATHER u-smash or dash grab...but I don't want to risk messing up, getting punished, and losing momentum.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Dash Attack has a great hitbox, good counter option. I like playing in-close mostly because it's fast paced, which is fun to me~

Questions anybody? :3

Last edited:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's hitbox is mediocre, it's mediocre as a "counter option" (Better options would be f-tilt or dash u-smash). It is a TERRIBLE move to use in neutral because unless they are 50% or more you are minus on hit (Guess, but that sounds about right)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Stop asking if people have questions. If they have questions they will ask. If you have nothing else to post other than "Questions?" then just don't post...

Forum etiquette. Super simple stuff.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not instigating, I'm modding even though I'm not a mod. It's a Q&A thread which stands for Question and Answer thread. It even says "ask a quick question get a quick answer" on the thread. You don't need to be POSTING asking if anybody has a question.

Hell yeah I'm ready for apex. I'm gonna wreck face.

PZ

Smash Lord
I feel there is 2 sides of the coin to the matter but technically Angiance is getting the question answered by another question being asked........but from a mod's point of view I do see it as a little bit of spam.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Okay, well...y'see, some newer people (and even not so new people) may feel a bit afraid of asking questions, cause they don't wanna look dumb, or silly little thingies of the like; someone saying "Questions?" in a nice manner, may help encourage those anxious ones to speak.

Questions anyone? ^ - ^

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
@ESAM: When I said instigating, I was referring to SSS's "shot down" comment. It's good that you're ready, though. Destroy them =I

And this is true as well. Angiance, politeness is great but it seems like you're kind of trying to shoo ESAM off the thread by making comments that will specifically get him irritated. I have nothing against you for trying to encourage players to ask questions and keep this thread alive, but I certainly hope that you aren't trying to make one of the most knowledgeable Pikas out there take a hiatus from the thread. Let's settle down a bit everyone, y'know?

Angiance

Smash Lord
ESAM wouldn't be upset about something trivial like this to the point of leaving. I watch and study ESAM's pikachu ALOT, and look up to the dude, why would I be trying to make'em leave?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'm not instigating, I'm modding even though I'm not a mod. It's a Q&A thread which stands for Question and Answer thread. It even says "ask a quick question get a quick answer" on the thread. You don't need to be POSTING asking if anybody has a question.

Hell yeah I'm ready for apex. I'm gonna wreck face.
Do you still go to tournaments/practice? Brawl seems dead everywhere except EC.

ESAM wouldn't be upset about something trivial like this to the point of leaving.
Yes he would.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Okay, well...y'see, some newer people (and even not so new people) may feel a bit afraid of asking questions, cause they don't wanna look dumb, or silly little thingies of the like; someone saying "Questions?" in a nice manner, may help encourage those anxious ones to speak.

Questions anyone? ^ - ^
No, they won't feel scared. If they are so insecure about asking a question, seeing you post "Questions anybody (insert smiley face)" won't alleviate their fears since they are still scared of being judged/whatever is causing them not to ask in the first place. You are NOT creating more content, you are bogging down what people have to read and it actually makes people not continue reading because there is less actual information. Anything that is not scritcly a question/response should be posted in the SOCIAL thread. This is an informational thread and we should KEEP it that way. Also, I WILL leave if you still act like you're the leader around here...which it seems like you are trying to do. Considering you normally have very...different opinions from many of the top Pikachus your answers, although nice to hear, are misleading when they want advice from the better Pikachus. I don't have a problem with you answering questions because multiple perspectives are good and it is how metagames evolve...but PLEASE stop doing anything but asking/answering questions.

Personally, I don't really benefit from helping to inform the low level players about random factoids/situations about the character since I already know them and I really only learn stuff from experience or from the other top pikachus, none of which are really in this thread. If I have a question I will specifically ask Prime or Z, not here. IF you want to keep me here since I am one of the most knowledgeable Pikachu players (Prime being the other), please...don't bog down this thread because when you tend to ramble on about random stuff I skip the posts and there might be legit questions in there.

If somebody is going into a QUESTION AND ANSWER thread, they are going to ask a quesiton. If they don't want to ask a question they won't come to the thread in the first place. Just stop. You would think me telling you these things considering I"m an experienced board member and one of the most component players in expanding Pikachu's metagame...you would realize that you aren't helping at all.

*Sigh*

Sorry, rest of you. I feel like 85% of my posts here over the last 2 months have been directed towards Angiance and make me seem like a really angry person. I'm not, I swear xD only to specific people

Who do y'all want me to MM at apex?

@Prime I don't go to tournaments due to my location...I'm 2 hours away from GA and 2 hours away from Charlotte. I have a lot of school work and most of the times I'm not busy I'm either chilling with friends near school or going to play Yugioh. I go like once every 2 months now...which really hurts my practice. I went to a few tournaments in FL during winter break which I won, but that scene is considerably more active.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You should MM Shogun.

As Pikachu, how should I go about dealing with the Zss Mu ? I'm not exactly sure how I need to play it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well I'm gonna be biased on playstyle obviously since I play against NR...so my main objective is to focus on not getting hit by D-smash and SDIing everything. Jolts are amazing as an approach as long as you aren't in FH >B range...that can suck at the end of a stock. Once you get close ZSS only has a few options to get out such as forward roll, up-tilt, and jab. Jab 3 is punishable if you hold down and hold shield (YOu will PS the 3rd hit) and you can grab it.

A main part of the game is also edgeguarding. Pikachu is extremely proficient at edgeguarding ZSS due to his long lasting nair and quick movements off the ledge. Nair pretty much beats down b and it's fairly easy to snipe jumps with correct spacing. Follow-ups are pretty easy since you really only have to worry about 2 areas of ZSS in the air, uair range and bair range. Getting under her is extremely advantageous for us as we can juggle with uair or landing trap and get a grab.

Specific questions are better since I'm not exactly sure what to talk about, tho ^_^

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I was going to be specific, but I had no idea what to ask, but you covered it, so thanks!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Vex accepted assuming we don't meet in Bracket, and I've MM'd salem a few times. I doubt he'll want to, but I'll ask.

Top Bottom