• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
well, skullbash can be used for a surprise attack when the oponement isn't too far in the air sometimes. I've seen it in matches from ESAM, even though I'm expecting they were tech errors <.<
As a former Luigi main skull bash makes me sad because it's not nearly as good for this as green missile imo.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
<3. Isn't respecting a god known as worship!

You're definitely a much better player than me technically and mentally. The only reason I probably did well in the friendlies was because I played pika dittos all the time ;p.

That said, they'd probably be really fun matches for everyone to watch.. or a complete curbstomp. I'll find you someday esam >;x. I'm pretty sure the TO's would love to put us on the same side of the bracket =p.

God-LIKE =/= a god. I'm just a person with a controller in their hands~

I would love to see you get good again and incorporate things that exist in the meta currently because maybe I could learn something from somebody with a completely different playstyle than me. I'm still da bess tho~

Pikachu players still salty lmao

Starting with you, Green Bcka~

How hard is it to just ignore him? Let him think what he wants. It's not hurting anyone.

People forgot about (or they got rid of) the ignore list.

To ESAM: is shooting an air jolt in the opposite direction of the opponent bait?

No, it's just bad. When I do it I'm messing up...I mean it can be a bait, but why do that when you could instead force them to do something about the T-jolt?

Does anyone think that skull bash can be used on the ground to hit someone? Sometimes I accidentally do it and kinda notice that they hold their shield for quite awhile and I thought that maybe it could be used to break their shields or wait until they punish or whatever.

I definitely use it on purpose to hit people sometimes, especially off the ledge. Also, if you see them air-dodge away and can't reach it with a nair or something, you can always throw it out. Damage is damage.

Also, @Angiance: The front part of uair isn't good to space with at all considering the start up is significant for it (3 from the back, but like 9-10 from the front), it has less shield stun, and it's harder to combo with since you have less time to react to it (Although it is still possible)

Anther

Smash Champion
God-LIKE =/= a god. I'm just a person with a controller in their hands~

I would love to see you get good again and incorporate things that exist in the meta currently because maybe I could learn something from somebody with a completely different playstyle than me. I'm still da bess tho~
I definitely spent my morning before work watching the Esam diddy footstool banana lock. I have to beat a to be unnamed diddy player before I'm allowed to leave the midwest again x.x.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Slower is extremely important. The hitbox is also smaller than the backwards hitbox and considering you can just RAR it there is no point in doing a reverse unless you are already in the air.

Angiance

Smash Lord
The transition between that hitbox and whatever the next action we choose happens so quickly though...and if you miss with the back hitbox it leaves us open for a while.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well it was meant to answer the other guy's question. Skullbash used offensively...it's very slow, doesn't combo into anything, leave us wide open for punishment because of it's long endlag, is easy to beat, and has to be charged to deal decent damage (with no charge it's very minor damage) which takes away any surprise factor it may of had...I dunno.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I know what you mean there and all those things are true. But in certain situations, like in a recent match from Anther, aerial skull bash can be used to knock someone who is standing on the edge of a platform. And though an uncharged skull bash isn't great in damage, it can give pretty good knockback and might even score you a kill at the edge of the screen at a moderate percent.
Like the others were saying, it's a surprise factor. People see it as a horrible move so they normally don't expect you to use it. It's not something to throw out in every match, but the option is there if you think it will connect with the other character.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
I agree that Skull Bash can be a good option situationaly. I'll throw out an uncharged one in the air every once in a while, because it'll surprise my opponent and is much harder to punish mid-air.

On the other hand, if someone needs to ask if Skull Bash is a good option, then their pika probably isn't advanced enough to use it in the rare situations that it's applicable.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I'm just asking because of my previous experiences with using skull bash. I understand that skull bash is a highly punishable move, but with the people I play I can use skull bash as some sort of mindgame to keep their shield up and depleting or let them drop it. I'm not asking to ask if skull bash is a good option, I'm asking because such as powerful move such as skull bash should have some way to connect fully charged to get a kill and I'm unaware of situations with using skull bash against my opponent.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
You also have other moves that do that as well, like F-smash.
You won't take as hard of a raw punish this way.
If you want to use skullbash due to not wanting to stale your Fsmash, then so be it.
It can demoralize people lol

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
OH!!! Don't forget about scrooging on smashville :troll:
Just Smashville? I can do it on Final Destination, Lylat, etc.
I'm just asking because of my previous experiences with using skull bash. I understand that skull bash is a highly punishable move, but with the people I play I can use skull bash as some sort of mindgame to keep their shield up and depleting or let them drop it. I'm not asking to ask if skull bash is a good option, I'm asking because such as powerful move such as skull bash should have some way to connect fully charged to get a kill and I'm unaware of situations with using skull bash against my opponent.
Okay, if their shield breaks, hit them with a fully charged Skull Bash. If you often SB to the ledge, then you could try releasing a little early so you'll go over the ledge and hit your opponent, but if you get read it won't be pretty. Sometimes if you're near them in the air you can throw out an uncharged SB. This is much harder to punish. Neither of these things should be done regularly. What you shouldn't do is just stand there charging SB. You're asking to get punished at that point.

Thor

Smash Champion
deadjames said:
As a former Luigi main skull bash makes me sad because it's not nearly as good for this as green missile imo.
Skull Bash wins in at least ONE area (if only one) - it can momentum cancel and green missile doesn't, according to stuff I've read about testing (or Green Missile is only an MC when misfired). And I KNOW there have been times I've needed the extra survival to live on.

I have randomly charged it when someone is near a ledge, at least partly because I have gotten a couple people to freeze and shield and when they get hit they take enough knockback to fall onto the ledge where it's harder to punish, and then I look to pressure their shield (eat it with dsmash for a shield stab KO - I've pulled it off at least twice). I've also gotten the random moments when people try to shield grab it and miss XD, although they aren't that common and the smarter player just keeps the shield up and dash-grabs or something else. It probably shouldn't be done much though because it puts your opponent in control, ie, they get to respond and you have a lot of lag - smart players probably just jump if they're on BF, and even on FD it's easy to time and jump and punish.

That said, the most common time I Skull Bash is recovery - I sometimes Skull Bash directly on stage to try to hit people (not a good move, but I try anyway and sometimes get rewarded). I have used it trying to punish recoveries that are painfully obvious in what they do (I managed to read that an MK had to use shuttle loop while far from the edge and started charging and then his options were hit Pikachu and SD because he would be helpless or take the knockback. He took the knockback and was KO'd. Most MKs will just recover smarter though). However, on par this is difficult and highly impractical (if you play a Fox and don't CG him to be nice (because friendlies) or mess up the KO, it's really funny to Skull Bash his Fire Fox if he can't get the right angle).

Anther said:
I definitely spent my morning before work watching the Esam diddy footstool banana lock. I have to beat a to be unnamed diddy player before I'm allowed to leave the midwest again x.x.
Want to find this, because it sounds awesome.

---
Short version:
Skull Bash can momentum cancel, it can be used for tricks based on weight but might needlessly put your opponent in control, it's fine for recovering since it can grab ledges, can punish recoveries in really funny ways, want to see the Diddy video (must find it).

EDIT: And you can scrooge on pretty much all the stages that are able to be gone under (FD, BF, Smashville, Halbird, Lylat, Defino all come to mind - more if I knew the official official stage list) - I don't recommend it too much because it's easily read but it can also be used to make recovering easier, ie, charge it a bit later than usual so you fly way under and then can make the rest of it (but don't start on a ledge and do it - a smart player will thank you for the new and easier chance to edgeguard).

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
You also have other moves that do that as well, like F-smash.
You won't take as hard of a raw punish this way.
If you want to use skullbash due to not wanting to stale your Fsmash, then so be it.
It can demoralize people lol
This is solid advice. You want a high punishing move that you can use for mind games. Try charging f-smash. Harder to punish, and they just might freak out and run into it.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Just Smashville? I can do it on Final Destination, Lylat, etc.

Okay, if their shield breaks, hit them with a fully charged Skull Bash. If you often SB to the ledge, then you could try releasing a little early so you'll go over the ledge and hit your opponent, but if you get read it won't be pretty. Sometimes if you're near them in the air you can throw out an uncharged SB. This is much harder to punish. Neither of these things should be done regularly. What you shouldn't do is just stand there charging SB. You're asking to get punished at that point.
STAND THERE AND CHARGE SB, IT'LL BLOW THEIR MIND MWAUAAHAHAA

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
@Thor: I know skull bash can momentum cancel, when I said I think green missile is better I meant as combo finisher in the air, I could be wrong but green missile seems to have less endlag (though I think skull bash has less landing lag, this is all just speculation based on observation though, I don't have actual frame data), plus there's always the possibility you could get a misfire.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
Uhh... Sure, but know this.....

I....

Am.....

The Free-est Pikachu Ever!!

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
What are some common mindgames that you all use?
I think that this is where I struggle.
You and me both. I'll often start to charge an f-smash, so they'll come just out of its reach to punish it, or so they think. Because of its disjointed hitbox, they'll take the tip of it, which sends them up, which you can follow up with dash to thunder.
Use downthrow to nair all game, to condition them to it. Then when they're at high percents and it's no longer guaranteed, they'll often airdodge behind you, so do a donethrow, then turn around and charge f-smash. So satisfying.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
What are some common mindgames that you all use?
I think that this is where I struggle.
I don't know how effective any of these are really, but I like to feign approaches (i.e. run close to my opponent then turn around and run away) a lot of times it will bait a reaction out of them and net me a free punish. I also use a lot of dash dancing and QA mixups. I like to fair past them too because they will more often than not try to shield grab and whiff allowing me to punish.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
Also, continuously QACing through and around them randomly will throw them off, then you can go for a QAC to nair when they're thoroughly confused.

Thor

Smash Champion
deadjames said:
@Thor: I know skull bash can momentum cancel, when I said I think green missile is better I meant as combo finisher in the air, I could be wrong but green missile seems to have less endlag (though I think skull bash has less landing lag, this is all just speculation based on observation though, I don't have actual frame data), plus there's always the possibility you could get a misfire.
Oh no doubt it's most of the time more powerful (and sometimes WAY stronger), I just don't combo well enough to be able to appreciate it (my combos are mediocre, nothing more, if that). So I tend to appreciate that I get an extra X% (I think it's like 10%) on my life if I can momentum cancel properly. That's all I meant.

Also, Player -0, I'm pretty free too.

How does one slide with fsmash while charging it? I only know dtilt-> fsmash and that slides backwards...which moves them farther from the sweetspot : P.

Also, the (only) guy I can play (sort of) frequently knows I'm not that great (RRR for those of you who might know him - he's a Kirby main) so my mindgames aren't that developed (just trying to react and not get KO'd) - I would appreciate advice too (among other problems I'm slowly fixing).

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
Oh no doubt it's most of the time more powerful (and sometimes WAY stronger), I just don't combo well enough to be able to appreciate it (my combos are mediocre, nothing more, if that). So I tend to appreciate that I get an extra X% (I think it's like 10%) on my life if I can momentum cancel properly. That's all I meant.

Also, Player -0, I'm pretty free too.

How does one slide with fsmash while charging it? I only know dtilt-> fsmash and that slides backwards...which moves them farther from the sweetspot : P.

Also, the (only) guy I can play (sort of) frequently knows I'm not that great (RRR for those of you who might know him - he's a Kirby main) so my mindgames aren't that developed (just trying to react and not get KO'd) - I would appreciate advice too (among other problems I'm slowly fixing).
You can't charge it while sliding.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Also, continuously QACing through and around them randomly will throw them off, then you can go for a QAC to nair when they're thoroughly confused.
This is totally off topic, but do you guys have doubles at the L-town throw downs? J-slo was feeling pretty bad about his loss in singles at Hype 3.5 and says he only wants to do doubles in Brawl from now on.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
This is totally off topic, but do you guys have doubles at the L-town throw downs? J-slo was feeling pretty bad about his loss in singles at Hype 3.5 and says he only wants to do doubles in Brawl from now on.
Not typically. We'll usually do an amateur bracket as well as the normal one. For our RRPT series, we'll have round robin pools and a side event, which is often doubles. I'm gonna be TOing along with a few others now that Lux has stepped down, and I'll run doubles if there's demand for it.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Another mind game I like to use if when I send my opponent flying most of the time they will be expecting Pika to dash over and thunder, instead QA and thunder, they'll have much less time to react and get hit by it a lot of times.

Edit: Oh yeah using jab to edgeguard is funny too.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Pikachu is as mind-gamey as a character can be. He's cute, quick, and honestly, he's annoying to play against. Utilize everything he's got! Here are some examples that have worked for me many times:

-Uair string x2 then fast fall a thunder; after the the second uair, people tend to try and fast fall an air dodge past you but they end up dodging into the sweetspot instead.
-Running straight past someone and pivot grabbing can be helpful if they're a hugely defensive sit-in-shield kind of player.
-QAC (duh)
-After knocking someone off the edge, run up as if you'll follow them off and then fast fall a thunder right next to the edge. Some players, again, end up dodging into the sweetspot.

Those are just a few examples. Certain mind games only work on people with a particular mind set~

Top Bottom