• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Personally, I think the Final Smash meter is a great idea. But can we make it even better?

What is your opinion of the Final Smash Meter?

• KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Note: This thread is not about what place the Final Smash meter as it is actually implemented in Ultimate may or may not have in competitive play. That is a completely different thread. This is about our opinions of the concept of the Final Smash meter in Super Smash Bros., how it compares to meter-fueled super moves in other fighting games (both traditional and Smash-like-platform-based), how super meters are implemented in fighting games beyond super moves, how well the Final Smash meter in Smash Ultimate is implemented for both casual and competitive purposes, and if (hypothetically speaking) it could possibly have been expanded on or otherwise improved.

I've supported the idea of a Final Smash meter that fills up as you fight, like in other fighting games, ever since the concept of Final Smashes was introduced in Brawl. In fact, during my initial Internet wanderings, when my most frequented site was GameFAQs, I came up with a detailed system for it, with 3 Final Smashes for every character, ranked in three tiers of power, and a detailed system for how it filled (including the detail that it could charge over time even when doing nothing, but at an agonizingly slow rate, and that it emptied completely upon being KO'd). I saved the posts from that thread, and you can see it on my Dropbox here. (And, yes, by some crazy coincidence, my three-tiered super-move system ended up becoming the entire basis of the gameplay of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. I swear to God, I came up with it first!!!) For SSB4, I refined the system further to include an option to use the Final Smash meter to fuel a temporary boost, which I called Supreme Mode, which would include a whole bunch of stat improvements and new abilities — including character-specific ones. That iteration of the thread is archived in my Dropbox here.

Personally, I'm quite happy to see a Final Smash meter implemented into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate — it's about time that Final Smashes became usable without needing to rely upon the RNG piñata known as the Smash Ball. Obviously, the system in Ultimate isn't as intricate as the one I came up with, but I'm not sure if it’d be possible for Sakurai to implement a system like the one I devised without getting sued by Sony.

My question is: are you happy with the Final Smash meter as it exists, or do you think it could have been improved upon with things like multiple Final Smashes, alternative ways to use the meter such as stat boosts, penalties for being KO'd, or other such things?

Last edited:

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
So long as it only stays out of competitive play, I am very happy about it’s inclusion. It should be fun to experiment with.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't know about Final Smashes being meter-based, but I was in support of having EX/Super specials that run off a similar meter. They could make it so that the X button becomes the Super special button by default.

Now that there's a Final Smash meter option, I don't think it will work anymore.

Untouch

Smash Master
Get rid of charging over time, only have it charge when dealing damage or add a way to charge it up (with taunts or something).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't know about Final Smashes being meter-based, but I was in support of having EX/Super specials that run off a similar meter. They could make it so that the X button becomes the Super special button by default.

Now that there's a Final Smash meter option, I don't think it will work anymore.
They could easily be the same meter, like in other fighting games.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Problem is, Final Smash replaces your Neutral-B. How would you use your regular Neutral-B?
Well, I was thinking that Final Smash would be used by pressing A and B simultaneously.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, I was thinking that Final Smash would be used by pressing A and B simultaneously.
I kinda like AB-Smash, though. More than Tap Smash (which needs to be turn-offable) and C-Smash. I wouldn't want that replaced either.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I kinda like AB-Smash, though. More than Tap Smash (which needs to be turn-offable) and C-Smash. I wouldn't want that replaced either.
Eh, Tap Smash feels far more sensible to me than AB Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom