• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Perfect setups (TV/monitor, console, capture device)

Kadano

Magical Express
I've just purchased an Extron VSC 500 http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=555 to downscale to composite, but realized it only accepts RGB rather than YPbPr component input. To fix this, I've just ordered the Mayflash (or knockoff) VGA004 from Amazon. If this doesn't work out, I will consider buying an Extron CVC 200 to do the YPbPr -> RGBHV conversion.
Did you get the VSC 500 running? If so, does it lag? Since (I think) it scales framerate (from >60 to 60), I think there's a chance it has 8ms lag or so, which would be noticeable.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Did you get the VSC 500 running? If so, does it lag? Since (I think) it scales framerate (from >60 to 60), I think there's a chance it has 8ms lag or so, which would be noticeable.
Bad news regarding the Extron VSC500/700

Not 100% conclusive because I'm not certain how scan conversion affects my oscilloscope method, if at all, but I measured the VSC500 to nearly 8ms latency: http://imgur.com/V51rhp9
in other news, if anyone wants to buy a VSC500, I'm selling ;)

comes with a full width rackmount tray too

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
in other news, if anyone wants to buy a VSC500, I'm selling ;)

comes with a full width rackmount tray too
Ahh, right, I thought I remembered this to have turned out to lag, but searching for "Extron VSC" only gave his post as a result (probably due to you not having a space before the number) on the Smashboards search, and I trusted that too much.

Thanks for telling me that quickly!

aerokarp

Smash Rookie
The guy who was selling his CVC 300s on eBay for like $150 dropped the price a bunch! Now they're $50 + shipping, but I offered $35 and he accepted. It says there are 21 left.

Azzy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azoraith
Any idea if the Nokia 445XI would be an acceptable monitor?
The specs I can find show it's the same as the 445Pro

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
Was able to get Sony GDM FW900 for my place on what I think was a good deal ($140). This thing is such a beast (and widescreen), and use custom resolution software to set up to 160 hz max refresh rate.

I usually set Graphics to 1080P for Dolphin Melee, I want to get a balance of great resolution with great refresh rate. Anyone have any recommendation for resolution/refresh rate settings for this thing when it comes to Dolphin Melee Netplay? At 1024x640@160Hz looks like crap imo. As in, is there a refresh rate on that increasing refresh rate from there start to not matter (given I belive Dolphin runs at 60). I can def feel the difference (responsiveness and smoothness) between 60hz and 120hz, but I wonder if 120Hz is too high.

Kadano

Magical Express
Was able to get Sony GDM FW900 for my place on what I think was a good deal ($140). This thing is such a beast (and widescreen), and use custom resolution software to set up to 160 hz max refresh rate.

I usually set Graphics to 1080P for Dolphin Melee, I want to get a balance of great resolution with great refresh rate. Anyone have any recommendation for resolution/refresh rate settings for this thing when it comes to Dolphin Melee Netplay? At 1024x640@160Hz looks like crap imo. As in, is there a refresh rate on that increasing refresh rate from there start to not matter (given I belive Dolphin runs at 60). I can def feel the difference (responsiveness and smoothness) between 60hz and 120hz, but I wonder if 120Hz is too high.
I'd say stay at 120 hz. Something like 1536x960p120, which is double native vertical resolution and double vertical refresh rate. With 115 khz, it should still be accepted by the FW900, which caps out at 121 khz if I remember correctly.

gamarad

Smash Rookie
Kadano Kadano I found a crt with component input and I'm trying to figure out if it lags. It felt fine to me based on playing on it for a bit but I can't be sure just from that especially since you said that crts with component inputs have a tendency to lag. Do you have any recommendations about how I could test for lag?

Edit: I just found out that the tv probably doesn't support progressive scan so it doesn't really matter anyways. Please ignore this.

Last edited:

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
Models known to support 480p YPbPr:
Sony PVM14L5
Sony PVM20L5
Sony PVM20M7MDE
Sony BVM-D20F1U
Sony BVM-F42U
Sony BVM-1911
Sony PGM-2950 (massive 29" tube, weight about 55 kg!)
Sony PGM 200R1U (massive 27" tube, weight about 50 kg!) [only 480p RGB confirmed so far!]
Kadano Kadano I've been trying to find a Pvm that supports YpBpr, but haven't really had much luck (it's always Pvm 20l2 or some similar model which isn't quite the right one). I did come across something called the BKM-129X, and if I understand it correctly, it seems to be a card which can be installed to certain models (see image included) to upgrade them to support YpBpr input. Have I misread this? If so, what is it actually meant for?

Also, I'm including the operating manual in this post as well as a reference.

Attachments

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how this will compare to Extron CVC 200/300's video quality, but this could be promising. Also, I think I'm going to try to mod my GC for RGBHV output, so if that goes well I can show the process and try to help other people do the same.
Did anyone ever end up trying the GARO out? Based on the quality and relative popularity of their other products I'm optimistic. The price seems reasonable especially compared to the inflated Extron prices these days and it doesn't require BNC adapters or cables like the Extrons do.

Here is a review from RetroRGB which also seems pretty promising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9T0zpV5rTk
His website mentions it is lagless http://retrorgb.com/converters.html
After all it's supposed to be a 1:1 transcoder so there shouldn't be any lag. I'm gonna buy one and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited:

The Harpoon

Smash Rookie
Hi, I know this post is old but I was wondering if you could just clear up something for me. So due to where I live I physically don't have the space for a crt, so was going to go with the BenQ Rl2455hm. And I was thinking of this set up as a whole: Wii - component cable - Startech vga component adapter - Avermedia C875 - HDMI cable - BenQ. And my pc to the capture card via USB.
However my concern is that the conversion to the HDMI will cause noticeable lag. Do you know if it will or not or ways around this if it does?
Many thanks!

On my phone at the moment but will attach a proper diagram when I get home.

Edit: Would the BenQ RL2460HT be better due to it having a HDMI out. I can place the Capture card after the monitor? And run the Wii through a component + adapter to the monitor.
Just read that the HDMI out will only work if the input is HDMI...

Last edited:

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I know this post is old but I was wondering if you could just clear up something for me. So due to where I live I physically don't have the space for a crt, so was going to go with the BenQ Rl2455hm. And I was thinking of this set up as a whole: Wii - component cable - Startech vga component adapter - Avermedia C875 - HDMI cable - BenQ. And my pc to the capture card via USB.
However my concern is that the conversion to the HDMI will cause noticeable lag. Do you know if it will or not or ways around this if it does?
Many thanks!

On my phone at the moment but will attach a proper diagram when I get home.

Edit: Would the BenQ RL2460HT be better due to it having a HDMI out. I can place the Capture card after the monitor? And run the Wii through a component + adapter to the monitor.
Just read that the HDMI out will only work if the input is HDMI...
I'm not sure I fully understand your idea - you're saying you'd have component out, run that through a VGA breakout, then convert that to HDMI? What's the point of going to VGA if you're gonna play over HDMI?
I'd recommend skipping VGA entirely and just using a Sewell to get HDMI out of the wii. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but it's generally better to keep your setup as streamlined as possible. Less points of failure and less chance for lag.

The Harpoon

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure I fully understand your idea - you're saying you'd have component out, run that through a VGA breakout, then convert that to HDMI? What's the point of going to VGA if you're gonna play over HDMI?
I'd recommend skipping VGA entirely and just using a Sewell to get HDMI out of the wii. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but it's generally better to keep your setup as streamlined as possible. Less points of failure and less chance for lag.
omg, yes you are correct, I had too many things on my mind and got mixed up. The flow that it should be is: Wii - Component Cable - C875 adapter - C875 Capture Card - HDMI Cable Out - BenQ. And my PC plugged in via USB to the C875.
So NOT convert to VGA, but use the adapter that comes with the C875 Capture Card which allows me to plug the Wii in to the AV port. Hopefully this image upload worked.

Last edited:

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
omg, yes you are correct, I had too many things on my mind and got mixed up. The flow that it should be is: Wii - Component Cable - C875 adapter - C875 Capture Card - HDMI Cable Out - BenQ. And my PC plugged in via USB to the C875.
So NOT convert to VGA, but use the adapter that comes with the C875 Capture Card which allows me to plug the Wii in to the AV port. Hopefully this image upload worked.
Haven't used the Avermedia myself, so I can't comment with any certainty. I've used capture cards with lagless HDMI passthrough, but it sounds impossible to me that a capture card could have lagless passthrough/conversion going from component to HDMI. From what I've read though, the LGP seems to do it. https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com...a_reliable_method_for_recording_pc_runs..html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6lZivQbeg
I'd say it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario, it's not lagless and you can convert to HDMI before running it through the capture card (sewell wii to hdmi) or you can split the component signal and not use the passthrough at all.

The Harpoon

Smash Rookie
Haven't used the Avermedia myself, so I can't comment with any certainty. I've used capture cards with lagless HDMI passthrough, but it sounds impossible to me that a capture card could have lagless passthrough/conversion going from component to HDMI. From what I've read though, the LGP seems to do it. https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com...a_reliable_method_for_recording_pc_runs..html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6lZivQbeg
I'd say it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario, it's not lagless and you can convert to HDMI before running it through the capture card (sewell wii to hdmi) or you can split the component signal and not use the passthrough at all.
So either the one I paste before or these 2: https://imgur.com/tco2T3y https://imgur.com/OnpPgaX

Last edited:

Jaguarandine

Smash Journeyman
I just finished reading the entire thread and wow, there is a wealth of information here. Thank you! You guys sure do have high standards though, lol. I consider 8 ms, or less than half a frame, to be virtually lagless. I will be picking up some of those Extron boxes very soon. I had previously been using an HD Box Pro (and clones) for the same purpose. The Extrons provide other features that I can use as well though.

On the issue of ED CRT or HD CRT lag, I do believe that there are service menu settings that turn off all processing on these sets. That should make them lagless. You just have to find the right codes. On my KD-34XBR960, it's called "HDPT". I believe it should be the same for other HD Sony Trinitrons as well. It would be very interesting to see the input lag readings from these sets with processing off.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
I just finished reading the entire thread and wow, there is a wealth of information here. Thank you! You guys sure do have high standards though, lol. I consider 8 ms, or less than half a frame, to be virtually lagless. I will be picking up some of those Extron boxes very soon. I had previously been using an HD Box Pro (and clones) for the same purpose. The Extrons provide other features that I can use as well though.

On the issue of ED CRT or HD CRT lag, I do believe that there are service menu settings that turn off all processing on these sets. That should make them lagless. You just have to find the right codes. On my KD-34XBR960, it's called "HDPT". I believe it should be the same for other HD Sony Trinitrons as well. It would be very interesting to see the input lag readings from these sets with processing off.
There are definitely consumer CRTs that can do lagless 480p. EDTVs are just so hit-or-miss and there are no resources on what to look for. I've never heard of using the service menu to turn processing off - would they be able to display 480p without it? If so, that'd be a godsend!

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
I have a Sony Trinitron KV36HS20. I use a wii with component cables and the TV says it is outputting in 480p when I start up 20XX melee. Is this a good set up or is there something I can easily do to improve it?
is there any other similar product without this problem? I'm interested to play on a CRT monitor but don't want to be doing any of this. :(

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Just snagged an Extron CVC 200 for $50 + free shipping. Very happy with that considering the prices have been ridiculous at times. I also have an order placed at http://www.badassconsoles.com/ for a modded Gamecube that can do simultaneous 480p output over HDMI and Wii component cables. That should be ready in a few months.

Once I have all the pieces together, my setup will have the Gamecube plugged into the CVC 200 via Wii component cables with VGA out to a CRT monitor. The Gamecube's HDMI out will be run to an Elgato Game Capture for straight digital capture on my PC.

I still want to find a CRT monitor that I really like and some good speakers that keep the "CRT sound." Something about the bass on a good CRT TV just sounds so nice and I'm looking for speakers that can replicate that.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I still want to find a CRT monitor that I really like and some good speakers that keep the "CRT sound." Something about the bass on a good CRT TV just sounds so nice and I'm looking for speakers that can replicate that.
Good speakers is very subjective. How much are you willing to pay? Do you only want to buy new speakers or are used ones fine too? What's the maximum size and weight you accept?

My favorite speakers with SSBM (and music in general) are Philips 22RH544 (active) and Philips 22RH457 (passive, need an amplifier). They were made in Europe in ~1976 and are somewhat difficult to obtain in America. You can import a revised pair for 370€ though. 544 are MFB speakers, so even though they are small in volume they play down to ~27 Hz. The technology was expensive to produce and not very lucrative, so since 1985 or so it's only been used in very expensive high-end speakers as far as I know.

If you only want to buy new, KEF Q100 (~300$ for a pair) are supposedly good bookshelf speakers for the price. I haven't listened to them yet, though.

Last edited:

MrIndioman

Smash Rookie
I understanding some of this but very new to this ! I have a Viewsonic PS790 and the Extron CVC 200 and I can not get the GameCube to work at all with it ! If I connect the GameCube directly to the Monitor with BNC adapter to the GameCube Component Cable it works but I'm getting a green screen ! And if I'm connect the GameCube to the Extron CVC 200 and Extron CVC 200 to the Monitor I still get nothing !!!!!! What the hell am I doing wrong ?

Last edited:

gamarad

Smash Rookie
I understanding some of this but very new to this ! I have a Viewsonic PS790 and the Extron CVC 200 and I can not get the GameCube to work at all with it ! If I connect the GameCube directly to the Monitor with BNC adapter to the GameCube Component Cable it works but I'm getting a green screen ! And if I'm connect the GameCube to the Extron CVC 200 and Extron CVC 200 to the Monitor I still get nothing !!!!!! What the hell am I doing wrong ?
When I connect my wii to my to my Viewsonic with the Mayflash VGA005 I get a black screen initially and I have to navigate the wii menu blind but once I do that and I launch melee in progressive mode the picture shows up. Maybe you are having a similar issue. Try navigating the menu and launching melee in progressive mode and see if the picture shows up.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
When I connect my wii to my to my Viewsonic with the Mayflash VGA005 I get a black screen initially and I have to navigate the wii menu blind but once I do that and I launch melee in progressive mode the picture shows up. Maybe you are having a similar issue. Try navigating the menu and launching melee in progressive mode and see if the picture shows up.
fyi you can set your wii to 480p in the settings menu (like with a wiimote and everything), then you won't need to nav the menus blind. you just have to hook up your wii to any lcd tv with the component cables so that you can see

It sounds like you know how to get component video out of your wii if you can get green screen (this is because component video calculates colors differently than RGB). Am I right in assuming you see something like this?: http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/2/24/243cf6d6_vbattach151044.jpeg

Assuming you're doing that correctly (spamming A after starting melee), it sounds like you've hooked up your CVC 200 wrong. Would need more details to suggest exactly what you might be doing wrong.

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
Id like to thank you guys for developing this WHOLE thread. I have learned so much from reading this thread and I cant thank you guys enough.

So, I believe I have three possible setups I can go for and just want someone to double check over it for me before I make purchases. If I am missing anything or can make things easier by including something in either of these chains, then please let me know:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Setup 1 (RGBHV Method)

Gamecube → Gamecube Component Cable → Extron CVC 300 (Component to RGBHV Converter) → Male RGBHV to RGBHV Male Cable → Extron DA6 RGBHV (RGBHV Distribution Amplifier)

From the Distribution Amp:

Output 1 (via RGBHV to VGA (DB-15) Cable) → CRT PC Monitor(s) (pref. one on Kadano's approved CRT PC Mon. list)

Output 2 (via RGBHV to VGA (DB-15) Cable) → Projector(s) w/ VGA Input

Output 3 (via RGBHV to VGA (DB-15) Cable) → Capture Card [SC-512N1-L/DVI OR XCapture - 1]

Setup 2 (DB-15 VGA Method)

Gamecube → Gamecube Component Cable → Extron CVC 300 (Component to RGBHV Converter) → Male RGBHV to VGA (DB-15 Cable) → Extron P/2 DA6xi (VGA Distribution Amplifier)

Output 1 (via VGA (DB-15) Cable to VGA (DB-15) Cable) → CRT PC Monitor(s) (pref. one on Kadano's approved CRT PC Mon. list)

Output 2 (via VGA (DB-15) Cable to VGA (DB-15) Cable) → Projector(s) w/ VGA Input

Output 3 (via VGA (DB-15) Cable to VGA (DB-15) Cable) → Capture Card [SC-512N1-L/DVI OR XCapture - 1]

Setup 3 (Only Component Method)

Gamecube → Gamecube Component Cable → CE Electronics AV901HD (Component Distribution Amp)

Output 1 (via Component Cable to Component Cable) → 480p Compliant Television(s) (Example: PVM CRT or any of the televisions listed by Kadano)

Output 2 (via Component Cable to Component Cable) → Projector(s) w/ Component Input

Output 3 (via Component Cable to Component Cable) → Capture Card [SC-512N1-L/DVI OR XCapture - 1] (via Component Cable Dongle)

*** These setups are STRICTLY for streaming & playing 480p gameplay.

*** I already know I can make things easier by modding my component cable into displaying RGBHV (making the purchase of the CVC 300 not needed) but I honestly don't feel safe/comfortable modding such a expensive cable (unless a professional were to do it for me).

*** To save money, the Gamecube + Gamecube Component Cable can be substituted for the Wii + Wii Component Cable. I honesly chose the Gamecube in these setups since it is proven to have the best video quality! I only strive for the best baby!

*** For Setup 3, I personally own a AV901HD. For the sake of the setups I listed above, I put what I have access to buying in my vicinity! Im pretty sure you can use any other distribution amp made by CE Labs with no problem.

Tell me what you guys think!

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I'm assuming you have sound figured out in the RGBHV/VGA cases?

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
I'm assuming you have sound figured out in the RGBHV/VGA cases?
Yup! Most likely use a powered audio splitter of some sort and have one group going to speakers (unless the monitor itself has speakers) and the other to my mixer. Hopefully the delay isnt TOO wide in comparison to the video game footage but nothing some in-built software delay cant fix!

Though if you have any suggestions in regards to sound, they are heavily appreciated! I am trying to make my rig the best that it can be.

MadCrashSJ

Smash Rookie
Premium
I've been looking about for it, but I can't seem to find anything giving concrete data, but is there anything for anyone having tested the VGA input on the BenQ RL2455 or RL2460, as far as comparisons to the HDMI inputs, which have been studied to show effectively less than one frame of lag? I'm assuming that it's going to be comparable, but I don't want to make such an assumption and be completely wrong about it if data is out there.

MadCrashSJ

Smash Rookie
Premium
Far from a perfect setup, but it's the equipment I have.

I'm using a Sony PVM 14L5 as a baseline, and for comparison, the monitor I'm using is the BenQ RL2460HT, which is essentially the same as the 2455, but with an HDMI out. Signal is first going to a YPbPr distribution amplifier from my GameCube, and then being sent out to other devices from there, so everything gets the same baseline.

Now, to get the comparison, I'm using the in game timer, and a camera that records at 240fps. I then use the frame by frame button in the VLC player, and check to see how many frames of the 240fps video it takes for the change in the timer on the PVM to be reflected on the monitor. I realize that there is some level of inherent variability in this method, largely due to when the recording is started during the draw cycle, but it is something I feel is good enough to get a reasonable estimate as to the viability of several options.

Using the Avermedia LGP as a YPbPr converter, as Fizzi has done for his research, I've been able to observe that the amount of time it takes for the timer being updated on the BenQ monitor, when compared to the PVM, is within one quarter of a frame for the game, and thus, at the slowed recording speed, within the next frame. This is consistent with the results Fizzi has shown in his MioM article, as well as the followup reddit thread.

Using a YPbPr-VGA breakout cable, and attaching that directly to the BenQ monitor (which does support YUV/YPbPr video input), results are similar, with the latency compared to the PVM being roughly one quarter of a frame, or approximately 4ms. This is pushing it towards the outer edges of tolerability for competitive Melee, but it's still within bounds, I feel, especially considering that this is a wonderful budget option, with Wii component cables and the breakout adapter together costing less than the Sewell HDMI adapter on its own, to say nothing of using an Avermedia or Elgato capture device for conversion to HDMI.

I have yet to test the Extron CVC with this method, however, I expect similar results to using the YPbPr breakout cable, when all is averaged out. I'm not yet sure how the monitor handles RGBHV compared to YUV/YPbPr, but I have hopes that the signal put out by the Extron is handled a little bit more quickly than the raw component signal.

When I have everything together, I'll put up a link to access all of the video files, for the sake of comparison and verification.

As an aside, level one computers are amusing, when pitted against each other.

Kerghan

Smash Rookie
Thanks to this amazing thread which I may have read 100 times, I managed to buy a Iiyama Vision Master 514 HM204DT A (revision with improved screen properties).I bought it for 130€ , used 1 years , second hand with cartons and everything.
I'm also a csgo player and I'm using the monitor to play both melee and counter strike.
The picture is absolutely insane ! When playing melee with defaut settings : there's litteraly 0 lag and frame come out right the time I hit the button.
I recommend this monitor to everyone, thank you for this guide !

Last edited:

gamarad

Smash Rookie
Chillindude just got a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and I'm trying to help him set it up. He doesn't have a 480p CRT so he has to have interlaced output. He's connecting his Blackmagic to his CRT with component cables. For some reason he can't get the Blackmagic to output to his CRT in interlaced when he launches melee in progressive mode. It works when he launches melee it interlaced mode. Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening or can you point me to a more appropriate forum to ask the question?

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
Anyone, perhaps Kadano Kadano , have any experience working with NVIDIA custom analog VGA resolutions and Dolphin, particularly FM? Whenever I set the resolution of my desktop to something that isn't a supported native resolution of my GDM FW900 (for example 960p, 120hz...once I full screen Dolphin running, fullscreen changes the resolution and plays Melee in some natively supported one...however once I unfullscreen, the resolution changes back to the custom one.

Is there any way around this? Or am I stuck never playing in 120hz? I'm sure people play in 120hz high res custom resolutions with their GTX 980 or less cards w/ their VGA monitor....

SuperiorJT

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I bought an XCAPTURE-1 and am trying to figure out a way to record YPbPr but convert to composite for common CRT's used at my weekly (we don't have any CRT Monitors or EDTV's). Is there any way to do this other than by using the BM Intensity Shuttle? I don't really want to spend another $200 just for 480p to 480i conversion.

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
Hey Kadano, I have more questions about that Sony GDM-F520 you posted...

-Those BNC inputs on the rear, do you simply need BNC-component converters so you can plug in component cables, and then it should be good to go? Or is there more to it than that?
-A monitor I saw on Craigslist appears to have similar BNC inputs like that... are you able to connect composite video (yellow) to it as well?
-Can this monitor play games in less than 480p? Like if I wanted to play an N64 game, is that possible?
-In regards to sound, you'll need to use speakers alongside the monitor, right?

BlumpkinPatchKid

Smash Rookie
Kadano Kadano
I have a sony 24fs100 i use for my wii but ive been playing netplay lately and want a good monitor for it since all i have besides that is a normal led tv which has a ton of lag.

I am probably still going to buy a benQ monitor but since i have that tv i was wondering if it was of any use for netplay. I wanted to know if i used a DVI to rgb/component adapter from my graphics card into the TV if that would be a solid setup. I dont need it to be flawless, but as good as i can get out of what i have until i grab one of the benQ monitors. I already ordered the adapter because it was cheap and i have some really high quality component cables to run to it.

Also, as far as i know, my 24fs100 only does 480i but i might not have read what you posted in the original wrong.

Thanks for any help!

BlumpkinPatchKid

Smash Rookie
Kadano Kadano
I have a sony 24fs100 i use for my wii but ive been playing netplay lately and want a good monitor for it since all i have besides that is a normal led tv which has a ton of lag.

I am probably still going to buy a benQ monitor but since i have that tv i was wondering if it was of any use for netplay. I wanted to know if i used a DVI to rgb/component adapter from my graphics card into the TV if that would be a solid setup. I dont need it to be flawless, but as good as i can get out of what i have until i grab one of the benQ monitors. I already ordered the adapter because it was cheap and i have some really high quality component cables to run to it.

Also, as far as i know, my 24fs100 only does 480i but i might not have read what you posted in the original wrong.

Thanks for any help!

So i got my adapter in today and messed around with it for a little bit before work and couldnt get it to work on the 24" which i figured because it doesnt do 480p

i have a trinitron kv-27hs420 which is one of the 480p ones but it probably has some lag. im gonna try with that tonight and itll probably work and even though it has some post processing itll probably be a lot better than my ****ty westinghouse LED tv.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cvdc8tGkGTk/p_158KV27HS4/Sony-KV-27HS420.html

But even if that tv has 10ms lag itll be better than my current tv.

I also have a 32" wega with a vga input but its at my friends house and weighs 250lbs so id prefer not to move that one. haha.

Cant wait til i get a real monitor.

TyroKith

Smash Cadet
Okay, I think I finally have all of my ducks in a row to make the switch from a 480i CRT TV to a 480p CRT computer monitor. I'm picking the monitor up in a week due to a heavy work schedule but it's a Gateway VX930. Specs look pretty good from what I can understand. I intend to use CRU to see if I can hit 120 kHz, hopefully at a resolution higher than 600x480. At the urging of /u/SailorMercurySSB on Reddit I purchased a Key Digital YPbPr to VGA adapter.

Can't wait to get it all together and try her out. Fingers crossed that something doesn't get screwed up. 480p I'm on my way!

TyroKith

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately that converter I bought seems to be having some issues. At first the Y component wouldn't register in the device at all, and then after that got worked out the Pr component wasn't working at all. Strangely, it also started feeding into the device a while later. IDK. But even then the colors are not very vibrant at all.

Lucky for me the seller is sending a free replacement that should arrive early next week. Will let you know how things turn out there.

In the meantime, I posted my issue in The CRT Collective FB group and asked for their recommendations. Someone recommended the Extron CVC 200, which I know is also recommended here, but another guy swore by his PS3/Wii YPbPr-VGA adapter cord.

I know from this thread that these kinds of cords, such as the Monoprice one, have a blacking out issue if not directly connected to a CRT-type monitor. But since I'm only interested in playing Melee from my Wii, that doesn't bother me. It would also be less hassle since it's just one cable.

Maybe I should just go with the Extron but they're about $100. If the PS3/Wii cord outputs a high quality image, I might want to go with that. They're about $30. Opinions?

Top Bottom