• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who already have the game getting bad first impressions?

Vapidbobcat

Smash Rookie
So, how are people who already have the game feeling about it? I just read a twit by Girthquake saying that some players are having pretty bad first impressions. Here. Does anyone know more about this? Because it makes me just a tiny bit concerned

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
It's just impossible the game be worse than Smash4 and Brawl. It is impossible. Only that is already warranty of quality. And if we compare the game to Melee, well, no matter what the developers of the new game do, competitive Melee players will not accept any change that makes impossible things they do in Melee, be able to be repeated in Ultimate, so, I dont think we should worry. At the minimum, the game is the same quality of Smash4, that already has a better core gameplay than Brawl, but with far more content, and from that, it can only be better. But if you dont like Brawl, if you dont like Smash4 and only Melee satisfies you, you dont like the Smash Bros series, it just happened that you just liked that one game.

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I really agree with Lucasla's assessment. I was a teen when smash64 came out and melee too, but I do not view melee through rose tinted glasses. I have gone back and played melee, and it is FAR from perfect. I would even place them in this order from best to worst....Sm4sh, melee, brawl, 64...and I expect ultimate to be a more polished and obviously more expanded version of sm4sh, so yeah, if you are such a sucker for nostalgia, that melee was the pinnacle of smash perfection, then you probably will not enjoy ultimate, just from the gameplay I have seen.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Vague tweet, with inacurrate specifics from more unknown people... Take this with the grainiest of salt until you play it for yourself.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Seems like whiners to me. Even if those complaints are true, doesn't make it a bad game.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Why are you following Girthquake, let alone listening to anything he says?

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Seems like some people are thinking "this will play exactly like Smash 4 but slightly adjusted" and not "this is a new game with potentially new combos that we haven't discovered yet".

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
why do competitive players have this idea that melee is the only smash game and that's how every game should be?

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
There is at least one other thread that contradicts basically everything in that Twitter post, with video evidence to boot. So uhhhhh... Don't worry about it?

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the last 2 days, I'd certainly say it's better than Smash 4. Combo-wise, it feels like we have about the same amount of true combos, maybe a bit more, but thanks to the air dodge changes we'll get more viable 50/50 followups.

Most importantly, movement and neutral feel much better. What I'm most interested in seeing is how ledge guarding develops.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Did SSBB receive the same kind of attention SSBU is receiving as soon as it was playable? It seems to me every time a pro player had the chance to play, it's only been positive. As far as I'm aware, no one was comparing SSBU to SSBB.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
The games looks beautiful. When smash4 came out I felt it was kinda lazy. The game lacked modes and a lot of stuff seemed recycled from Brawl.

After a few days of Smash U, it actually feels like they put a lot of love into this. The stages all look amazing, it has so much music, every stage has unique designs for Omega and BF modes, you can turn off hazards, classic mode and spirits mode are awesome and have lots of unique content like bosses. Training mode is far superior to anything we've seen before
Mechanics wise, they focused on the complaints from the previous game and they nerfed the top characters, air dodges, shield and recoveries in order to make the game faster paced and more aggressive (Also the landing lag buffs).

All in all, it feels like a "perfected" or "evolved" version of Smash4 and is clearly meant for the fans of that game, since it's very similar to it in gameplay. Now let's see if Online netcode is any good.

EDIT: Hell, even the Credits screen at the end of classic is frickin awesome.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
why do competitive players have this idea that melee is the only smash game and that's how every game should be?
Part of it is nostalgia, part of it is because it's the type of game they prefer playing. Which is fine, but there's no need to belittle or insult the intelligence of Smash players who like the other games, especially Smash 4 and Ultimate.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Part of it is nostalgia, part of it is because it's the type of game they prefer playing. Which is fine, but there's no need to belittle or insult the intelligence of Smash players who like the other games, especially Smash 4 and Ultimate.
If you watch videos of professional or high skilled players in ssbm tournaments, most of them are old enough that smash 64 would have been their first game so the nostalgia argument can really go out the window. "its the type of game they prefer playing" is a pointless tautolgy, we know they like it, but not why. So that only leaves actual reasons why melee players like melee: the fluidity (freedom of control) of characters, the general fast paced nature of the game, and of course the hitstun that makes combos feel satisfying, yet DI makes it have aspects of rock-paper-scissors. From this perspective its clear that brawl and smash4 went downhill.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
If you watch videos of professional or high skilled players in ssbm tournaments, most of them are old enough that smash 64 would have been their first game so the nostalgia argument can really go out the window. "its the type of game they prefer playing" is a pointless tautolgy, we know they like it, but not why. So that only leaves actual reasons why melee players like melee: the fluidity (freedom of control) of characters, the general fast paced nature of the game, and of course the hitstun that makes combos feel satisfying, yet DI makes it have aspects of rock-paper-scissors. From this perspective its clear that brawl and smash4 went downhill.
So uh...."nostalgia" can apply to anything you did a while ago, or for a long time. It doesn't have to be the literal first thing you try for a given category. Most of the top players have been playing melee for a long time, so yeah "nostalgia" is definitely possible. As an aside though, why they like Melee doesn't really mean they can't also like the new game, as it is a different game. Not the same or "not *as* good" doesn't have to mean "bad".

EDIT: Not trying to start something, I'm just putting my views in on that little part of the discussion. I'll likely love Smash Ultimate regardless of anyone else's opinions.

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
So that only leaves actual reasons why melee players like melee: the fluidity (freedom of control) of characters, the general fast paced nature of the game, and of course the hitstun that makes combos feel satisfying, yet DI makes it have aspects of rock-paper-scissors. From this perspective its clear that brawl and smash4 went downhill.
That's exactly my point. Melee has the gameplay and feel that they prefer over Smash 4. It's more fluid in movement, and you have more control over how you can combo characters. But this does in no way, make Smash 4 a bad game either. Many players enjoy it as a good Melee alternative, some even prefer it to Melee. But it's a very different game from Melee that players who like Melee's style of play will inherently dislike it because it doesn't let them do the things they like doing in Melee.

Melee being the best competitive Smash, does not mean it is the only competitive Smash.

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
Still loving Smash for Wii U a lot more then Ultimate. Ultimate movements feel choppy, some moves got change for no reason and to many modes got cut out. This Smash is really for competitive players and I dislike that play style.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
So uh...."nostalgia" can apply to anything you did a while ago, or for a long time. It doesn't have to be the literal first thing you try for a given category. Most of the top players have been playing melee for a long time, so yeah "nostalgia" is definitely possible. As an aside though, why they like Melee doesn't really mean they can't also like the new game, as it is a different game. Not the same or "not *as* good" doesn't have to mean "bad".

EDIT: Not trying to start something, I'm just putting my views in on that little part of the discussion. I'll likely love Smash Ultimate regardless of anyone else's opinions.
I don't want to derail this thread, but I just want to clarify that I know what nostalgia means. My point was that it doesn't make much sense to associate melee's vastly superior popularity with competitive players with nostalgia when it's a middle iteration. Why isn't smash 64 as big even though it's nostalgic too? It's just baseless claims.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to derail this thread, but I just want to clarify that I know what nostalgia means. My point was that it doesn't make much sense to associate melee's vastly superior popularity with competitive players with nostalgia when it's a middle iteration. Why isn't smash 64 as big even though it's nostalgic too? It's just baseless claims.
Because Smash 64 is low-key kind of bad by today's standards haha. But I get what you mean. I still think it is part of it, and some of it comes from fans of the top players, but I think gameplay is the main reason of course.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
My point was that it doesn't make much sense to associate melee's vastly superior popularity with competitive players with nostalgia when it's a middle iteration.
I'd say that's a bit of a stretch considering Smash 4 pulled similar numbers and entrants, even beating Melee a few times during its run.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Just going to throw out there that Melee being the best competitive Smash is not a universal opinion or even close among the competitive community. Most people who play 4 competitively do so not because of the new factor but because they actually prefer it to Melee in my experience. Honestly most of the Brawl community really did prefer Brawl to Melee while we're at it, and some of us still haven't really changed our minds on that all these years later even though Brawl is quite dead (because most of us do agree that 4 is better than Brawl, though I've known a few who do believe Brawl is the best Smash). Obviously opinions will be opinions and plenty of competitive Melee players no doubt would vouch for it strongly, but that's not speaking for "the competitive community" as a whole which does not have a unified opinion on what the best Smash game is.

Most impressions I'm reading from Ultimate are extraordinarily positive. No one really knows the meta now; some people think they do but are kinda lying sometimes to themselves and sometimes just to their viewers. But apparently the game just feels great to play; that seems to be a near consensus. I'm sure you'll see some dissent as you always do, and no doubt once the game actually releases you'll see louder voices because there's a serious marketplace online to hate on whatever is new and popular and also because with the sheer size of the community if even 1% of the players going into Ultimate decide they dislike it that's a few dozen topics on every major Smash discussion channel filled with tons of different posters talking about how dissatisfied they are with their likelihood to speak up magnified by how intensely hyped Ultimate is. I wouldn't be alarmed or even slightly concerned when it happens; it's just a natural part of a new game's lifecycle.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Who cares what they think, in a mere week I will be journeying into the great beyond, COURTESY OF THE DIVINE ONE! PRAISE SAKURAI

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Who cares what they think, in a mere week I will be journeying into the great beyond, COURTESY OF THE DIVINE ONE! PRAISE SAKURAI
You and me both. My seven-year relationship with my girlfriend may become strained because of this game (though she's getting her own copy and actually seems to care about the game this time)

Last edited:

gramkracka22

Smash Cadet
I have this game, it is an improved version of smash 4. If you like smash 4, you'll love it. If you are a melee/PM player, you will probably just like it. It's not bad by any means, but I don't think this will be the smash brothers game that unifies the community into one game.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I have this game, it is an improved version of smash 4. If you like smash 4, you'll love it. If you are a melee/PM player, you will probably just like it. It's not bad by any means, but I don't think this will be the smash brothers game that unifies the community into one game.
I don't think any smash game ever will, and that's a good thing. We just need to get everyone to be civil and nice, not everyone playing the same game. I like having more than one game to spectate, personally.

Top Bottom