• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People say mr.GW sucks, but really, its cuz they cant use him.

KingPop

Smash Rookie
Lol, Well unfortunately, I live in Canada, and hardly any tournys are set up where im from, So i cant say, I just watch lots of videos online, and try to stay updated with the "apparent" best players or w.e. Well WD being Wavedash am i correct? I can see how its good for G&W since he moves so slow in his roll, but ya, not like my saying G&W is AMAZING, but he shouldnt get put down so much, I love his 2-D movements =D

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
His 2-D movements are sexy but if you're a good G&W fighting a fox just as good as you, then you will lose :(

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Yeah...this about sums it up...but you forgot to mention his WD...it's pretty good...and he can pull a good mindgame, too...
Just picking Game and Watch is a mindgame, to be honest.

I don't think he sucks. His DI is pretty good, his magnet hands make recovery a lot easier, and his attacks are pretty well rounded. The last tournement I played in, I placed 1st in teams for the winners bracket, and 2nd in teams overall. I could have played my Falco, but I played GaW. My partner was using Peach. It was hard, but it just goes to prove that it's the player, not the character. Anyone who says GaW sucks surely isn't playing him right, and that could be said for any character.

SiD

Smash Master
Just picking Game and Watch is a mindgame, to be honest.

I don't think he sucks. His DI is pretty good, his magnet hands make recovery a lot easier, and his attacks are pretty well rounded. The last tournement I played in, I placed 1st in teams for the winners bracket, and 2nd in teams overall. I could have played my Falco, but I played GaW. My partner was using Peach. It was hard, but it just goes to prove that it's the player, not the character. Anyone who says GaW sucks surely isn't playing him right, and that could be said for any character.
That's....not true actually. Just because a player can do good with him, does not mean he doesn't suck.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'M BLACK

Taj uses Marth and Fox too...also, Gimpyfish and Taj don't place very high (especially Gimpy) in tournaments.

Never

I'm Haitian-American. My descendants are African slaves who where transported to the Haiti by the French (but later revolted and kicked the French out).
I'm black and proud beeeyyyotttcccchhhhhessss.
Go up to Dave Chappelle or ANY black comedian and tell him he's extremely racist against blacks since you think I am.

So anyways, HAL hates black people and made G&W terrible. I sent many letters to the creator and never received anything back ;_;
I'm a firm believer that noone has the right to discriminate. You're no exception.

And to make Game and Watch's shortcomings an issue of race is pretty racist.

And what Chappelle does is called reverse racism. He plays off of stereotypes and uses shock value for comedy. It's still racism.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No **** it's racism, but you called me a racist towards blacks. Being a Black-American, I've been through soo many situations where my race was a huge issue, I understand what racism is, better than you do. Joking about a video game character is nothing as serious as the things I've been through.

I'm black and I love black people, end of story.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I assuming that wasn't directed to me since I wasn't the one who started the argument of race (just defended myself).

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
That's....not true actually. Just because a player can do good with him, does not mean he doesn't suck.
I think Fox sucks, but people do really well with him, making him top tier.

You would never say GaW sucked if more pros played him.

Honestly, it all depends on the player.

On paper, GaW sucks, but in the right hands, he can be a beast. All you have to do is take advantage of his timing, as opposed to thinking of it as a disadvantage. Not to mention, his hitboxes are ****ing beast.

SiD

Smash Master

On paper, GaW sucks, but in the right hands, he can be a beast. All you have to do is take advantage of his timing, as opposed to thinking of it as a disadvantage. Not to mention, his hitboxes are ****ing beast.
He still sucks dude......

Gimpyfish is amazing with Bowser. Does that mean Bowser doesn't suck? Let me show you a quote:

Gimpyfish62 said:
Bowser sucks lol

D

Deleted member

U think fox sucks huh... i dont even have to read the rest lol. Yes, G&W can be played well, the character still sux. The reason not very many people do well with G&W is because he isnt good!

Ademisk

Smash Champion
This is such an old argument. It's ridiculous. It does NOT all depend on the player, some characters are naturally better to play. It IS incredibly plausible for almost every character in the game to be played professionally though, but it's definitely harder on some characters, especially the lower tier ones, because the REASON they're low tier is that the top tier ones, that everyone uses, tend to kick the **** out of them. And it's only really possible to overcome this difference in high skilled play, where mindgames come into play heavily.

Percey

Smash Rookie
My opponents think he sucks too, but when I play him they cower in fear because they know they're gonna get rocked...

He's my second fav. char next to samus because if you use the right attacks his recovery time is next to none. I just laugh when people say he sucks then at the end of the match have nothing left to say

D

Deleted member

My opponents think he sucks too, but when I play him they cower in fear because they know they're gonna get rocked...

He's my second fav. char next to samus because if you use the right attacks his recovery time is next to none. I just laugh when people say he sucks then at the end of the match have nothing left to say
Ok, u are right, u are much better than everyone here, and u know much more than everyone here. U are a great figure who everyone knows and respects, and we have changed our minds. Game and Watch is an AMAZING character in the hands of a master like yourself. I mean, his recovery is second to none according to you, and you know everything. Im sorry we disrespected you oh great master of smash. Sarcasm over. Btw, do u know what a Shffl is?

Cinder

Smash Master
Ok, u are right, u are much better than everyone here, and u know much more than everyone here. U are a great figure who everyone knows and respects, and we have changed our minds. Game and Watch is an AMAZING character in the hands of a master like yourself. I mean, his recovery is second to none according to you, and you know everything. Im sorry we disrespected you oh great master of smash. Sarcasm over. Btw, do u know what a Shffl is?
Wow, that was harsh and unnecessary...

Anyway, why are we having this discussion? I think Ademisk has hit the nail on the head...it's true that G&W isn't a good character (saying he sucks is kinda crude...same goes for eyeryone), but not only is he as fun as hell to use (in my opinion), but in theory, someone could do really well with him in a tournament...it's possible to be pro with just about any character...but with some (i.e. G&W), it's harder, but never impossible...it's hard and unlikely, but it CAN HAPPEN...end of discussion...

D

Deleted member

Wow, that was harsh and unnecessary...

Anyway, why are we having this discussion? I think Ademisk has hit the nail on the head...it's true that G&W isn't a good character (saying he sucks is kinda crude...same goes for eyeryone), but not only is he as fun as hell to use (in my opinion), but in theory, someone could do really well with him in a tournament...it's possible to be pro with just about any character...but with some (i.e. G&W), it's harder, but never impossible...it's hard and unlikely, but it CAN HAPPEN...end of discussion...
Ya ok, this summed it up. Now let this thread die!

KingPop

Smash Rookie
Ya, this is a never ending discussion, thanks for all your opinions guys.

Basically in the end, it was settled, game and watch has bad stats, but just like any character, is used wisely, he can be quite good. But in reality, if lets say Fox is played to his fullest ability, against G&W at his fullest ability, fox would win, because of his stats. So really, No character sucks, just the mindset of players using them. Because any character can beat everyone, ( cept pichu, I have very serious doubt of ever seeing him in another smash bros game)
Just some characters dont deal as much damage as fast, or dont tolerate damage as much, just depends on using them.

But after all this arguing, I guess G&W isnt really that great if u take in all the factors.

Top Bottom