• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.16 Discussion - "The Witch Hunt is over"

blackghost

Smash Champion
So I am not sure if the MK player was not properly Di/SDI'ing but the first and last match give me hope that some of her comboes can be used in tournament play still:

the combo atr the end of the first set was really bad di and sdi. there is almost no reason to get hit with a full witch twist 2. the last combo of the set he took a jump
not saying its useless most players with this chaarcter assume things are garanteed when they aren't. but for sustained success against good players we need better stuff. and it wont happen in a week but we'll get some other things i bet.
i started camping hard. its really wierd that it work (sometimes) but it has been effective. and considering bayo's walk is basically a taunt its entertaining.

Last edited:

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
While I'm a casual smasher, I want to go tournaments but the rules are so.. confusing. This nerf went way past what it supposed to do. Bayo only really needed a 0-to-kill combo adjustment. As for the people that complained.. Instead of whining, practice against her and adapt. This is coming from someone who mains Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Purpledebo

Smash Cadet
While I'm a casual smasher, I want to go tournaments but the rules are so.. confusing. This nerf went way past what it supposed to do. Bayo only really needed a 0-to-kill combo adjustment. As for the people that complained.. Instead of whining, practice against her and adapt. This is coming from someone who mains Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.
oh man, i totally agree.
we should all adapt to the new bayonetta without asking for buffs or patches.
adaption is key
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RandomGuySheep

Smash Cadet
Personally, i'm happy they nerfed Bayonetta because it gives me more time to complain about Cloud now.

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
oh man, i totally agree.
we should all adapt to the new bayonetta without asking for buffs or patches.
adaption is key
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I KNOW right, I mean people were so adapt that they just cried for the nerf hammer instead of just playing.. But what do I know! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
if you play phoenix you are a hero. god bless you sir. if bad evidence wasnt a thing hed be a decent character

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
if you play phoenix you are a hero. god bless you sir. if bad evidence wasnt a thing hed be a decent character
Let me tell ya, getting all three right evidence and getting into tournabout mode just for 30s of having a average Phoenix Wright feels so good!

Purpledebo

Smash Cadet
I KNOW right, I mean people were so adapt that they just cried for the nerf hammer instead of just playing.. But what do I know! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ah well, Sakurai does what he gotta do
whatever happened happened.
i am pleased the whole meta can finally agree to move on ;D

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
ah well, Sakurai does what he gotta do
whatever happened happened.
i am pleased the whole meta can finally agree to move on ;D
Well..you hear it here folks! Complaining is the new meta! So drop your low tier character and just pick up a pitch fork and beg for Sakurai to do the work for you! :D

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
lets adapt the game by complaining about everything.

in a serious note, I wonder how much it really hurt her.

she still got some solid tools, but its still sad her being a combo fighter without able to do the main combo

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
lets adapt the game by complaining about everything.

in a serious note, I wonder how much it really hurt her.

she still got some solid tools, but its still sad her being a combo fighter without able to do the main combo
Basically, now Bayonetta is a high risk low reward character that struggles at punishing, playing footsies, and surviving hard hits while having only weak and slow punishes that deals 10 to 15% while still needing to reach 120%+ for a single stock.
She can't combo off of aerials outside of Uair, she can't combo off dive kick and witch twist, she can't combo off of throw, she can't really combo much.
Even Mario/Luigi/Sonic/Sheik/Diddy/ZSS/Cloud/Ryu have faster, more damaging, more reliable combos than her and possessing only a small fraction of her problems.
She is pretty much a fast falling Jigglypuff to be honest.

Purpledebo

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Well..you hear it here folks! Complaining is the new meta! So drop your low tier character and just pick up a pitch fork and beg for Sakurai to do the work for you! :D
well, you guys don't have to complain anymore
anything that was broken is fixed, so now the meta can finally evolve in peace
heck i don't even want Pac-Mans grab deathzones to be fixed anymore

although i'm sure 70% of you will drop bayo and main cloud because he's suddenly your new favorite character. ¯\_ᵔ ͜ʖᵔ_/¯

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie

although i'm sure 70% of you will drop bayo and main cloud because he's suddenly your new favorite character. ¯\_ᵔ ͜ʖᵔ_/¯
The same goes for you on how bad Bayo is.. Like I said she needed a nerf to her 0-to-kill combos that's all. Also I main Mr G&W/Luigi/Ganon. I'm not a Bayo main, nice try there tho. ¯\_ᵔ ͜ʖᵔ_/¯

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace

Honest question: do you actually plan on contributing anything worthwhile to this thread, or are you just here to basically say "haha, ur character got nerfed, cry some moar" over and over?

Purpledebo

Smash Cadet
Honest question: do you actually plan on contributing anything worthwhile to this thread, or are you just here to basically say "haha, ur character got nerfed, cry some moar" over and over?
uhm, use Witch Time or something i dunno

Clonedpickle

Smash Rookie
You're a Bayonetta user you can't defend your character that caused people to get salty and quit after one match, while throwing insults at you! Instead of learning her..

Stupidity aside, I do hope you Bayo mains that go to tournaments find something to put all the haters and complainers in their place, while voicing your displeasure about the patch in hopes she gets buffed.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
uhm, use Witch Time or something i dunno
You kinda just sidestepped the question.
Witch Time got a massive decay after one use. It takes 1250 frames to fully recharge a staled Witch Time, Cloud's Limit Break takes only 406 frames to charge. Plus, if you use two Witch Time in a row, it will take 2500 frames to fully recharge.
The rewards off of Witch Time is limited and executing it is pretty tough. You need to perform a hard read as the move is a counter, not an attack. Human reaction time + Display lag + Counter startup is 24 frames, so countering on reaction is near impossible, not to mention the active window is the shortest of all counters. And depending on where you Witch Time them and how long the duration of Witch Time is, you might get 22.4% off of it with a fully charged FSmash, to a single bair that deals 13%, to absolutely nothing at all.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
These nerfs to :4bayonetta:,:4greninja:,:4metaknight:,:4sheik:, and :4diddy:are the exact reason I don't get too invested into tier lists. By the time i feel comfortable with top tier characters, they will be nerfed. Not "they can be nerfed" but "they will be nerfed". I'm happy i didn't waste my time joining the :4bayonetta:bandwagon because now id be at a difficult crossroads and be forced to either relearn get new characteristics or drop the character completely and this completing wasting my time. After all patches are done, I'll look at what top tiers i want to main (i mained ZSS at day one, so she doesn't count)

Currently, I'm not considering maining :4bayonetta: to highly. She has a 20% jab combo at any percent and some decent combos left, but I'm liking Cloud more at this point. Bayonetta isn't ruined, but there's no reasons not to main her

Last edited:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Ugh, there is alot of ignorance once again around bayo. The nerfs were totally fine imo, as the bayonetta player actually has to play neutral like the other characters in the cast instead of just fishing for DAB kicks the entire game. DAB kick received a very hard nerf and rightfully so. Its essentially a worthless move offensively, but still provides a safe way for her to land, which many characters would love to have. Her neutral game is very good, and people only argue differently because it is so underdeveloped. She has insane shield pressure in neutral through multi jabs, dtilt, fair, bair and nair. Bullet climax absolutely annihilates bigger characters making any matchup with bigger characters heavily in her favor. Also on top of all of this it is still possible to get kills from witch twist to side b to witch twist to up air. Just because they increased the DI multiplier doesn't immediately make it obsolete. In fact if you b reverse her up b you can catch them DI'ing the wrong way and make the combos even more guaranteed. She actually takes a brain to use now and I'm loving it. All the true bayo mains will stay with her and continue to develop her meta and all frauds will leave to an even more stupid character (cloud). Overall the nerfs hurt her, but in the long run, they were necessary to making her actually have to develop a neutral instead of just rinse repeating the same ****ing combo till it got the kill.

Edit: I forgot to even mention witch time, which is still completely insane and can net kills as early as 60 percent on some of the cast. Also I personally think bayo has top 3 offstage gameplay and her ease of edgeguarding is as simple as holding the a button and gimping with nair. She may not be top 5 anymore but I still think shes definitely top 10.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Ugh, there is alot of ignorance once again around bayo. The nerfs were totally fine imo, as the bayonetta player actually has to play neutral like the other characters in the cast instead of just fishing for DAB kicks the entire game. DAB kick received a very hard nerf and rightfully so. Its essentially a worthless move offensively, but still provides a safe way for her to land, which many characters would love to have. Her neutral game is very good, and people only argue differently because it is so underdeveloped. She has insane shield pressure in neutral through multi jabs, dtilt, fair, bair and nair. Bullet climax absolutely annihilates bigger characters making any matchup with bigger characters heavily in her favor. Also on top of all of this it is still possible to get kills from witch twist to side b to witch twist to up air. Just because they increased the DI multiplier doesn't immediately make it obsolete. In fact if you b reverse her up b you can catch them DI'ing the wrong way and make the combos even more guaranteed. She actually takes a brain to use now and I'm loving it. All the true bayo mains will stay with her and continue to develop her meta and all frauds will leave to an even more stupid character (cloud). Overall the nerfs hurt her, but in the long run, they were necessary to making her actually have to develop a neutral instead of just rinse repeating the same ****ing combo till it got the kill.

Edit: I forgot to even mention witch time, which is still completely insane and can net kills as early as 60 percent on some of the cast. Also I personally think bayo has top 3 offstage gameplay and her ease of edgeguarding is as simple as holding the a button and gimping with nair. She may not be top 5 anymore but I still think shes definitely top 10.
Anytime I see a player claim bayo has a good neutral game I really question what they know about what a neutrual game is or how bayo is supposed to play it. One of these two factors isn't being properly evaluated. She has a weak neutral at best. Then you say playing neutral fair nair dont contribute to neutral. Neither are safe. Not going good to ask why you suggest multi jab is a good idea to though out. Dtilt is decent at best.
B reverse doesn't fix the fact that a competent opponent will sdi out up. Can't b reverse that. Witch time netting kills consistently at 60 on what character? Her smashes aren't that strong and you don't get combos from witch time now so I'm confused on that. Bullet climax is a projectile half of which has no hitstun. So not really a zoning tool that is exceptional.
How many times a game is witch time a good option? Because iys high risk and then you do the get it back for over 1000 frames.
Lastly the same combo? Really you only saw bayo do one combo? You missed a lot of her meta advancing.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Her neutral game is very good, and people only argue differently because it is so underdeveloped.
No not really. Her attack speed and mobility is below average and she lack a reliable approach option.

She has insane shield pressure in neutral through multi jabs, dtilt, fair, bair and nair.
She has pretty much little to no shield pressure, multi jabs are insanely unsafe on shield. Dtilt's endlag increase and range reduction makes the move less safe, not to mention it was never a shield pressure move in general. Fair's damage reduction made it deal less damage on shield and Fair has a notable amount of landing lag. Bair has good shield pressure, but that is if you always shields and never give it time to recharge. Nair is very easy to counter with anti air moves like Mario's USmash.
All of these moves deal very like shield damage and some of these aren't reliable.
Her below average attack speed and below average mobility makes it challenging to pressure a shield as shield regenerate at a pretty quick speed. I have pretty much never seen Bayonetta break a shield, and shield is definitely her worst enemy.

Also on top of all of this it is still possible to get kills from witch twist to side b to witch twist to up air. Just because they increased the DI multiplier doesn't immediately make it obsolete.
You mean SDI multiplier. A SDI multiplier of 2x is crazy powerful, even for Smash 4. The combos you described only works is if your opponent is a low level player who has no idea what SDI is, and tier list is not made with low level players in mind, it is made with the best of the best in mind.

In fact if you b reverse her up b you can catch them DI'ing the wrong way and make the combos even more guaranteed. She actually takes a brain to use now and I'm loving it.
B reversing UpB won't change make it harder to escape, SDI upwards consistently escapes the combo. For a character that takes a brain to use now, you certainly aren't thinking too clearly with her.

Overall the nerfs hurt her, but in the long run, they were necessary to making her actually have to develop a neutral instead of just rinse repeating the same ****ing combo till it got the kill.
Lastly the same combo? Really you only saw bayo do one combo? You missed a lot of her meta advancing.
I forgot to even mention witch time, which is still completely insane and can net kills as early as 60 percent on some of the cast. Also I personally think bayo has top 3 offstage gameplay and her ease of edgeguarding is as simple as holding the a button and gimping with nair. She may not be top 5 anymore but I still think shes definitely top 10.
Witch Time got a massive decay after one use. It takes 1250 frames to fully recharge a staled Witch Time, Cloud's Limit Break takes only 406 frames to charge. Plus, if you use two Witch Time in a row, it will take 2500 frames to fully recharge.
The rewards off of Witch Time is limited and executing it is pretty tough. You need to perform a hard read as the move is a counter, not an attack. Human reaction time + Display lag + Counter startup is 24 frames, so countering on reaction is near impossible, not to mention the active window is the shortest of all counters. And depending on where you Witch Time them and how long the duration of Witch Time is, you might get 22.4% off of it with a fully charged FSmash, to a single bair that deals 13%, to absolutely nothing at all.
I doubt she is even Top 25, she is mid tier at best. There is no way she is Top 10. She possess too many flaws and have very little strength.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
It need to be addressed that dtilt literally got 1 frame of endlag added on (which is essentially meaningless), and dtilt's range nerf was mostly to its vertical range; the horizontal range is basically the same. Stop acting like her dtilt is some unusable trash now because that's blatantly wrong.

If most of you are going to continue to b**** about how awful she is now, then get out of this thread and drop this character because you're not doing anything except being a nuisance to those trying to actually do something with Bayonetta.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Basically, now Bayonetta is a high risk low reward character that struggles at punishing, playing footsies, and surviving hard hits while having only weak and slow punishes that deals 10 to 15% while still needing to reach 120%+ for a single stock.
She can't combo off of aerials outside of Uair, she can't combo off dive kick and witch twist, she can't combo off of throw, she can't really combo much.
Even Mario/Luigi/Sonic/Sheik/Diddy/ZSS/Cloud/Ryu have faster, more damaging, more reliable combos than her and possessing only a small fraction of her problems.
She is pretty much a fast falling Jigglypuff to be honest.
I don't agree with any of your points or posts and you're exaggeration comparing her to Puff is really bad.

Zero idea what you mean by "high risk". Not sure what options make her stick her neck out. Her smashes maybe? She's really noncommittal.

Yea she doesn't have footsies, but she never even bothered playing footsies Twist is a dominant overpowering option, who cares if she can't jab lol.

"Struggles surviving hard hits" - again zero idea what this means. She's not a heavy weight? Who DOESN'T "struggle surviving hard hits"? You're not supposed to survive smash attacks thats supposed to be the whole game.

All her combos still exist they're just weaker and the zero to deaths are much rarer. But yes, if you based all her value off the zero-deaths and the free 35% auto combos then yes she's a very different character now if that was all the character was to you before.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Bayo is still a great character. We just cant do those long combos anymore. Short and sweet.

Her neutral isnt bad. But when you play other characters like mario and cloud, you really start to see that bayo's neutral, in comparison, is simply lacking, not bad.

I think bullet climax mindgames will play a bigger part in her metagame. That is, conditioning them to fear it by canceling it. It's actually quite underrated, which is likely a result of her previous combo game being so strong. A full charge neutralB is powerful and much quicker than it honestly has any right to be. It's amazing for people who like to short hop alot.

Just between bullet arts and bullet climax, she has the ability to both force approaches and discourage them.

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet

I can't help but strongly agree with this.

Once I started understanding why Bayonetta was so overpowering, I stopped playing her for awhile so that I didn't get accustomed to her knowing that there was no way that she would stay as she was.

This character, in her previous iteration, reduced the actual complexity of smash as a game. Smash has a deep and rewarding complexity in 1v1, which is composed of abstract ideas such as approach, punishment and followup, reading, zoning and spacing, and deception. As Bayonetta, in her 1.1.5 design, you supersede some of these things (namely followup game), or are at least overly facilitated for them by Sakurai in all his good intentions.

Most other characters have guaranteed combos in early percents, and some of them have guaranteed kill confirms in late percents (Bowser, DK, ROB maybe, others). Bayo, in her previous iteration, had guaranteed combos and kill confirms for all percents, no exaggeration, until over 100 or so, complex as they were and they required a reaction to DI. Bayo does have a lot of potential 50/50's and "safe" versions of her combos, but due to her landing lag it always just makes more sense to go for the biggest combo and rely on the fact that the other character can't punish you as hard (which is probably what Sakurai thought would happen). Other characters have to rely on these 50/50's and mixups in their chasing, which creates a string of interactions consisting of reads, option coverage, fake-outs, call-outs, and things that people consider fun and hype. You know, a certain line of thought might say that Bayonetta is great in this respect because her BatWithin forces other characters with guaranteed combos to do this even though their combos are supposed to be guaranteed, creating more fun and hype for the other side, right? Well maybe in a ****ed up sort of way, but most people consider this dynamic to be unfair.

Now if getting these kinds of guaranteed combos were difficult and rare, it would be one thing. But the fact of the matter is that it isn't. Yes, Heel Slide and ABK and even dABK are punishable, technically. But the burst nature and extreme disjoint of these moves (like fair, Side-B) give Bayonetta players a large time and distance window to react to an opponents defensive option and get the confirm, while there is a very small window for opponents to get any sort of punish if the Bayonetta hits shield. What this means is that a competitive and non-Sakurai ideal player of Bayonetta can always create the situation, using her great pressure tools, to get the high reward combo started at low risk. The only time her neutral ever appears to be bad is when the Bayo has put herself in the air over the opponent, which is easy to do because of what a tempting option dABK is and plus you can mis-space nair. I will say though that Bayo always suffers being put above someone who is waiting for them to land, which isn't so much her neutral as it is this weird built in punish window that Sakurai added artificially into the game.

My point is that if you feel like her neutral is bad then you just suck at playing neutral with her. I know that sounds really testy and mean, but the truth of the matter is that because Bayo had such safe and guaranteed damage, you could suck at the core fundamentals of this game and still go far with this character by only practicing punishment and setups with safety, and ignoring everything else. Bayo doesn't have to approach, usually. Her dtilt is frame 7 and her aerials seem to outspace almost everything. Her specials in the air have transcendent hitboxes, which used to obnoxiously outspace almost everything. Even though her attacks have startup, they have low cooldown. She's a slightly slower ZSS in the air (juggling) when you don't give her landing lag with B moves. Even without her guaranteed punish game, this character is still amazing.

The fact of the matter is that you never see a lot of this in competitive play because it's sub-optimal compared to going for death combos all the time. The reason for the sudden spike in Bayonetta results followed by the drop is because top players adjusted to her and then it was over. Bayonetta's meta beyond her punish game is basically non existent, because it was just that good. But there is more to this character.

If you feel like dropping this character after the patch, good. As she was, it hurt the game. Even though it feels good to fly with your opponent into the ceiling blast zone, it was not fun for anybody else. When I played as her, the fear and the intensity that I love in this game disappeared, as I knew that I had nothing to really fear from my opponent, and that once I hit him once, he was eating more damage than he could possibly give. I don't necessarily agree with the way that the developers changed her combo game, but it's not as completely devastating as people make it out to be. You don't need all that to be guaranteed, and don't get all stuffy because you actually have to interact with your opponent when you're hitting them now.

Once again, if you don't like this character anymore, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Me and whoever else is left to play her will gladly play her, because she's awesome and now she's fair.

Last edited:

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Her neutral ain't bad, it's just far inferior to the likes of Sheik, Diddy, Mario, Rosa, MK, and all of the other top tiers. She doesn't have a whole lot other than reads and WTw against them.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A bad neutral.

The character that was a laser projectile, and four jumps, a shield bounce move, and shield safe aerials, and a 4frame oos move, and oh also a counter that kills you.

That character has a bad neutral.

Can y'all please throw that garbage meme into the garbage

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Before we desend into chaos lets dig into some more technicall details.

She still has some good conversions after dtilt, they are just hard now lol.

Muramishi posted this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EeT_P3G1JdU

Most of the stuff in that vid is sdi-able stuff but he did some intresting stuff at the end.

If we can optimize some footstool locks we could get some milage out of them.

And her neutral isnt that bad. She has an extra 8 frames on her short hop, she doesnt have fast normals and she is slow but other than that it's good.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I don't agree with any of your points or posts and you're exaggeration comparing her to Puff is really bad.
I'd put her in mid tier. She is, without a doubt, better than Puff. But IMO they share a pretty similar playstyle now.
Despite my negativity, I still think she isn't a low tier, at least not yet.

A bad neutral.

The character that was a laser projectile, and four jumps, a shield bounce move, and shield safe aerials, and a 4frame oos move, and oh also a counter that kills you.

Bayonetta is a laser projectile? The projectile deals only 0.5% and the other is only a pain in the ass for low tiers.
Having multiple jumps doesn't affect your neutral, otherwise Jigglypuff would be god like. Not to mention 2 of the jumps are linear and has no horizontal movement.
A single shield bounce move doesn't do much if the move has no use offensively, especially when the move is unsafe if whiffed.
The frame 4 OoS move doesn't kill nor combo and if SDIed it does about 2.6%. It isn't anything impressive and it is a weak get off me option.

The fact you use 4 jumps as a point to her having a good neutral is kinda silly.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
A bad neutral.

Can y'all please throw that garbage meme into the garbage
Agreed. Her neutral isn't bad by any stretch. Diddy/Sheik/Mario/etc. just have better neutrals.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd put her in mid tier. She is, without a doubt, better than Puff. But IMO they share a pretty similar playstyle now.
Despite my negativity, I still think she isn't a low tier, at least not yet.

Bayonetta is a laser projectile? The projectile deals only 0.5% and the other is only a pain in the *** for low tiers.
Having multiple jumps doesn't affect your neutral, otherwise Jigglypuff would be god like. Not to mention 2 of the jumps are linear and has no horizontal movement.
A single shield bounce move doesn't do much if the move has no use offensively, especially when the move is unsafe if whiffed.
The frame 4 OoS move doesn't kill nor combo and if SDIed it does about 2.6%. It isn't anything impressive and it is a weak get off me option.

The fact you use 4 jumps as a point to her having a good neutral is kinda silly.
Can we stop spreading the lie that she doesn't combo anymore. She combos LESS but all these RIP Bayonetta comments are soooooo melodramatic. Twist is still a dumb move that immediately gives her 5 other options if you try to trap her in anyway and STILL leads to more percent more often then not.

Also Bullet Climax is amazing.

Also she has real jumps, not little hops, so yes they do matter significantly. Watch any polished Bayonetta, her ABK, Twist, and jumps are an incomparable movement package. No one cares about Jigglypuffs little mini hops lol

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Can we stop spreading the lie that she doesn't combo anymore. She combos LESS but all these RIP Bayonetta comments are soooooo melodramatic.
Ironically the things you quoted doesn't have much to do with it.
She doesn't just combo less, she combos A LOT less. Witch Twist when SDIed only gives her one option, but there is many different possible outcome making it is extremely hard to react to it and follow up correctly. This is not to mention to most damaging hitboxes are at the start and the end of the move. So with SDI, Witch Twist is not only pretty hard to follow up, but also only deal 2.6% damage.
If we are gonna talk about low level play where players doesn't bother with SDI, then yes, she has combos AND zero to death as well.

Also Bullet Climax is amazing.
Sure...............
I wouldn't overrate this move too much, it is better than many projectiles but there is very little use for it outside of edgeguarding and camping. Not to mention it is easy for most high/top tier to counter.

Also she has real jumps, not little hops, so yes they do matter significantly. Watch any polished Bayonetta, her ABK, Twist, and jumps are an incomparable movement package. No one cares about Jigglypuffs little mini hops lol
She has "real jumps", which ironically, Witch Twist is certainly not a "real jump". Even Jigglypuff's jump is more "real" than Bayonetta's Witch Twist.
Witch Twist doesn't have a many options as a normal jump do. Witch Twist is an attack, not a "real" jump. Jigglepuff can at least weave in and out with her aerials and little hops, Witch Twist is linear and you can't approach with it.

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Went to a local, got many combos, andmany kills off the top, placing well and proving
-players still dont understand bayo
-they still dont DI or SDI
-they still havent bothered to try

Im worried that the next patch will be an auto DI patch

Shes still good. I dont think the unreliability beats sheiks amazing neutral now though

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Bullet Climax stuffs enemy short hops, gives tall characters nightmares, and is good for edgeguarding especially when charged.

Witch Twist, although SDI-able, is still a frame 4 OOS option and I'd pay good money to see the person who can SDI out of that on reaction in a proper match. (So not a practice session where he knows its coming and can preemptively start mashing directions.)

Afterburner Kick still combos into things, including a second Afterburner Kick, bair, and uair at various percents.

In theory, one can condition the opponent into expecting guaranteed followups, then surprise them with a second Witch Twist for extra ceiling carry and potentially a kill in the hope that they can't react fast enough for the SDI. Time will tell how this pans out in practice. (For what it's worth, I tried to SDI Witch Twist in 1/4x speed training mode and got mixed results. Twist 1 was easy, but I could never do it with Twist 2.)

Bullet Arts are not technically projectiles (they're giant multihit transcendent disjoints) but nonetheless give her an additional means to pester opponents from range at low risk to herself. (Jab 1 and dtilt being the two best for this purpose in a straight line.)

Held nair and uair give her EZ-mode edgeguarding (mostly nair) and even though Witch Twist got nerfed knockback, it can still catch low recoveries and send the opponent further offstage without giving them a jump back.

Witch Time is still an excellent counter move that lets her set up literally any move she pleases and is particularly lethal near the ledge due to dsmash.

So yeah. She got nerfed hard, no denying that, but I'm getting real tired of the doom and gloom. She still has her perks and has stuff to work with.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
So yeah. She got nerfed hard, no denying that, but I'm getting real tired of the doom and gloom. She still has her perks and has stuff to work with.
Yeah, sorry if I made anyone upset with my negativity, she is definitely not a low tier character at all. She still got more tools than those characters.

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
A lot of people are being too dramatic after the nerf. Saying how she's a "mid tier", she's dead, doesn't combo, etc. Honestly, I enjoy her now just as much as pre-patch. I can still combo pretty heavily, I enjoy having mix ups, using bullet climax more often has helped a ton and oddly enough I'm getting people to rage quit now more than before, only difference is that they don't use "Tier wh***" tags anymore. I don't know, she's not as bad as people are claiming her to be. She's without a doubt no longer a top 5 character, that's for sure, but she's top 10 or top 15 at least (high tier).

The only thing I hated about this patch is the dABK overkill. I'm okay with everything else, even the SDI (A little much but I can manage) but the fact the dABK doesn't reward you with anything, not even stage control, kind of annoys me. If they have it combo to anything, anything at all, I'd be happy...even to bullet climax for some extra damage would've been nice.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Xephilon, I disagree with the idea she is top 15. Tier list is not made for For Glory players, it is for top players at a serious tournaments. You shouldn't really judge her position after just your own experience on For Glory.

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
First off, who said anything about FG? Sure I play there a lot but I also play in tournaments so I'm talking about both sides of the experience.
Second, I'm pretty high in my region (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8KfrOhqcpQm4Tq97xK5NzkG_s/edit#gid=1230956778 , #22, would be higher if I was able to participate in tourneys more often but can't due to work) so I know at least bit of what I'm talking about and while playing with other people that know how to DI and SDI, I still manage to win and pull off many combos.
Third, you've been more of a negative impact here than anything else from what I've seen, not sure if your opinion on her tier placing counts due to negative bias.

Lastly, I still believe she's top 15 at least but this is just an opinion though.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Xephilon

1. You didn't specify so I couldn't tell, sorry.

2. So I take it you are a full time Bayonetta main or do you use her as a secondary?
Are you sure your opponent knows how to SDI properly? Did they bother at all? If your opponent doesn't bother with SDI, Bayonetta has tons of combos.
I also want to know what kind of combos you performed.

3. I don't really want to be a negative impact myself, but I am being honest with myself.
If your opponent doesn't know SDI, she is high tier. But if your opponent know SDI and can do it properly, she is mid tier at best.

4. She is probably top 15 as long as your opponent is bad at SDI. But in top level play, it should never be the case.

Top Bottom