• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.0.4 Released for Smash 3DS, No Public Patch Notes

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Lcanceling and wavedashes were glitches that were not intended; the game's development was too far along to remove them. Using them to the point of making them a part of general gameplay was not meant to be. So... I assume that you are being sarcastic.
This isn't true. Sakurai stated that the he thought that the airdodge mechanic with the physics that Melee had was a cool feature and kept it in on purpose. He also stated that for them to change this they would have to change a part of the engine that enabled everything to work which would have set them back.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
lol @ people crying because their mains no longer have overpowering techniques that make them OP. "Cancelling my preorder" pffft! Cry some more and play the game the way it's supposed to be played, I'm glad they got rid of DACUS, it was annoying. And with how much people have whined, I'm sure they'll release patch notes.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I feel rosaluma is prob totally unviable in competive play right now(cant ever kill, and too weak without luma, and the lumaspeed is not good for her), not sure which character i should switch to, was thinking greninja but since the shadowsneak after dair got removed, im less hyped about him. Is there any character that still has anything cool about them anymore?

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Maybe I don't take the game as competitive as others because the amount of complaining about patching to early and not having patch notes is ridiculous to me. I am not excusing Nintendo for their actions but patching a game was something they never did and normally they leave their games the way it is.

I mean, if you can sit there for hours looking for exploitable so called "Advance Techniques" then take the time to find out what changes were added to your character. Maybe I am a casual because I just find smash fun regardless because the gameplay is still solid even with the Nerf and Buffs.

Like seriously, isn't discovery part of how fighting games work? Nintendo will probably patch notes next time due to all of the complaining from players. If you are good at the game then you will adapt to the changes and reformat your game plan and this update was mostly due to the Wii U version coming out in the next 2 days which is most likely at its 1.04 update out of the box. So we probably won't see another game patch no time soon unless its glitches or new modes/DLC added to the game.

Then again if new characters are added we might get a balance patch again.

Last edited:

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I feel like they are not including patch notes so that people don't drop their favorite characters because they got nerfed or someone else got buffed. They don't want people knowing their precious shiek got nerfed who might be that person's favorite character.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
The game's only 2 months old, and they're already messinging around with the character balance? Bad move Nintendo, I am glad they're doing patches at all but only 2 months of its life are WAY too soon to tamper with it, and they didn't even make any patch notes so far. I would rather wait at least 1 year and wait for people to decide if somebody needs a tweak.

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
This isn't true. Sakurai stated that the he thought that the airdodge mechanic with the physics that Melee had was a cool feature and kept it in on purpose. He also stated that for them to change this they would have to change a part of the engine that enabled everything to work which would have set them back.
He left the "features" in the game intentionally, but that doesn't mean he made sure these "features" were created intentionally.

Accidents are called glitches, not intended features. And as you said yourself, changing the engine would have caused more damage than good, so small engine related glitches like these wasn't a priority to fix.

I feel rosaluma is prob totally unviable in competive play right now(cant ever kill, and too weak without luma, and the lumaspeed is not good for her), not sure which character i should switch to, was thinking greninja but since the shadowsneak after dair got removed, im less hyped about him. Is there any character that still has anything cool about them anymore?
It's like the only way to play Smash is to utilise glitches, or the game isn't any good? Not even going to play it like it was intended?

The game's only 2 months old, and they're already messinging around with the character balance? Bad move Nintendo, I am glad they're doing patches at all but only 2 months of its life are WAY too soon to tamper with it, and they didn't even make any patch notes so far. I would rather wait at least 1 year and wait for people to decide if somebody needs a tweak.
They just updated the 3DS version to match the Wii U version. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
It's just the Wii U version updates, obviously they were still doing balance while the 3DS version had to go gold and now just updated the 3DS version to the changes they wanted for the Wii U version at launch.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Wait... so the best way to recover with Little Mac has less distance now?!

Well poop.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
I don't notice anything too different except one thing... has bowserciding been working because someone tried doing it to me and it counted as an SD for them... is this happening for anyone else?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
It's like the only easy to play Smash is to utilise glitches, or the game isn't any good? Not even going to play it like it was intended?
I prefer fighting the other player and being able to KO/approach in a while once in a while instead of running the clock, which is what the game is leaning towards when alot of the cast gets nerfs in damage and KOmoves that already were very weak compaed to earlier iterations.

That said, the stages might work differently on the wii u version, and this might be the first update of a few, im just afraid this is close to the finalized version of the game and that this game will be WAAAAAY easier to master then brawl, and less skills then 64( as a IC player in both melee and brawl i really want a high skill character in this game).

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Seriously, if after 2 months no one has realized Rosalina, Sheik and ZSS are OP and Samus, Meta Knight and others needed buff, they need some medical help, there's nothing wrong with patching the glaringly obvious flaws, like Shulk's damage output.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Wonder what they did with Pacman and Shulk?

They screwed Little Mac Side B was his only good air move and recovery.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
LMAO at all these people talking about "playing the game as it was intended" and "Toss canceling OP because only a few characters could do it). I'm pretty sure these same folks would also be screeching bloody murder if they discovered their characters got whacked with the nerfbat after only 2 months. And we will be seeing more of these patches as long as Nintendo is doing DLC for it.

So is it true that overall, these changes are bringing the game closer to Brawl?

Last edited:

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
So anything that resembled advanced techniques got removed quickly.

Sure, Nintendo. Don't let this game be competitive. Redo Brawl. Remember how that ended?

I swear, Sakurai's like a cat. He kinda listens to you, and then he just does whatever he wants anyway.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Seems they're overdoing it a bit. A patch every 2 weeks? They could chill for a bit and let the meta emerge and then patch it biannually.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The community did a very good job creating their own patch notes. I thought that was interesting. Anyway, I'm not complaining about the patch. I'm simply going to adapt. And obviously we aren't going to get a ton of patches once the Wii U is out. I expect one for incorporating Amiibos on the 3DS, and one for Mewtwo DLC, and that'll probably be it for quite some time.

Last edited:

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Lcanceling and wavedashes were glitches that were not intended; the game's development was too far along to remove them.
They could have removed wavedashing and l-canceling in about five lines of code. I'm guessing they didn't notice them or they just didn't care.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Only change for Pac-Man seems to be that his B-air can no longer launch the hydrant in one hit.
As a pacman main,this is the worst thing ever.
Yes and no. If they did know that much about competitive play, they'd probably make Greninja or Rosaluma or another already somewhat OP character even stronger, to see how the community reacts, and then nerf him at a later date.
Either way, this update sucks. I hope youre right and ots only temporary..

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So anything that resembled advanced techniques got removed quickly.

Sure, Nintendo. Don't let this game be competitive. Redo Brawl. Remember how that ended?

I swear, Sakurai's like a cat. He kinda listens to you, and then he just does whatever he wants anyway.
Anything resembling an arbitrary tech barrier that gives an arbitrary advantage to anyone who can actually push the buttons rather than knowing how to push them got removed? Works for me.

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
it pisses me off when people say this. tons of people bought brawl. the only people that sakurai lost the respect of were the small percent of asshurt tourney****.
No, Brawl fell apart for the old crowd because of lack of support towards the people that believed in competitive Melee.
Brawl fell apart for those that played it competitively because the entire game is centralized around Meta Knight (Literally EVERY top-tier character is there because they can fight decently against Meta Knight).
So I'm overall glad that Smash 4 is trying to balance things, but removing advanced techniques (which is what made Melee such a good competitive game) is not the way to go.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
No, Brawl fell apart for the old crowd because of lack of support towards the people that believed in competitive Melee.
Brawl fell apart for those that played it competitively because the entire game is centralized around Meta Knight (Literally EVERY top-tier character is there because they can fight decently against Meta Knight).
So I'm overall glad that Smash 4 is trying to balance things, but removing advanced techniques (which is what made Melee such a good competitive game) is not the way to go.
so, you don't prove my point wrong. at all. excellent rebuttal.

Last edited:

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
so, you don't prove my point wrong. at all. excellent rebuttal.
You're not getting the point. Advanced techniques gave Melee the duality of being a casual game for those who didn't know them and a competitive game for those who do.
Smash 4 was shaping up to be that, but it feels like with the removal of them, Nintendo's trying to force the "Party Game" style that they want the game to be on us.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
If anyone notices any changes to captain falcon, let me know. I'm a c fal main, and I haven't noticed any, but I don't have the two versions side by side for comparison.

Psionic

Smash Journeyman
You're not getting the point. Advanced techniques gave Melee the duality of being a casual game for those who didn't know them and a competitive game for those who do.
Smash 4 was shaping up to be that, but it feels like with the removal of them, Nintendo's trying to force the "Party Game" style that they want the game to be on us.
my god, just play melee if you don't want the "party game" style you dolt. your point is also false because casuals don't care about advanced techniques.

KatKit

Smash Lord
This game isn't less competitive because a few advanced techniques are removed. They're trying to balance it. I like variety. I like character viability. Smash 4 is shaping up to be great in that department (heck, they've even patched custom moves [at least for ZSS]). I don't know about you, but I'd rather watch tournaments that don't consist of generally the same 8 or so characters.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah.....I'm trading this game in....
I ****ing hate this patch.

Seriously canceling pre order.

Keep nerfing my characters and making this game slow paced nintendo and I will never buy your new smash bros game.
...And people then ask why some in the Smash fanbase are considered childish. They cope with this update with the emotional maturity of a five year old.
Trading the game or not buying it just for this? Overreacting much? Are people really just that incapable to wait and adapt before getting all judgmental? Guess some around here are.
Reminds of a guy who said that he was trading in Injustice because Scorpion was announced as DLC. It's pathetic and funny at the same time.

Top Bottom